Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

Kendra

Re: Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

Post by Kendra »

From Jordan Fischer thread (link posted upthread)
Judge Mehta says he can't grant Linder's request to order the DOJ to tell them who else, if anyone, they plan to indict in the case. But, he is having the DOJ inform the court and defense about which witnesses might have 5th Amendment concerns.
Reading the thread, that's quite some hearing going on there.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Roger Roots, who I only vaguely, and just barely, remember from the Bundy mess, is back. I haven't been following this thread, but a search for "Roots" yielded no results. Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/1 ... s-00056707
Hidden hand involved in Stewart Rhodes’ bid to derail Oath Keepers Jan. 6 trial

A lawyer with past ties to white supremacist groups has helped author court filings for a key Jan. 6 defendant.
A perennial political candidate from Montana who was once denied admission to the bar because of his criminal record and “connections to white supremacy groups” has been playing a behind the scenes role in the defense of Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes, one of the alleged organizers of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

Lawyer Roger Roots, who has mounted long shot libertarian bids for office in Montana in every election since 2012, has been assisting a lawyer newly tapped by Rhodes to mount a last-ditch drive to postpone Rhodes’ looming trial for seditious conspiracy, slated to begin Sept. 26.

U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta swiftly turned aside Rhodes’ effort and chastised the new attorney, Ed Tarpley of Louisiana, for appearing just weeks before trial and creating uncertainty around the complicated proceeding. Rhodes, in the same motion, attempted to fire his attorneys and replace them with Tarpley, but the Oath Keepers’ founder ultimately opted to maintain his legal team, which has handled his case for the last eight months.

However, Roots’ involvement escaped mention during last week’s court hearing, during which Mehta attempted to keep the complex, five-defendant trial on track. POLITICO located Roots’ name in metadata associated with Tarpley’s initial court filing seeking a delay and change of counsel. In an interview, Tarpley acknowledged that Roots advised him in writing it.
:snippity:
Roots has worked as a lawyer or paralegal for a number of far-right, anti-government clients, including members of the Bundy family charged in a standoff with federal authorities in Nevada.

In 2016, Roots sought to serve as standby counsel for Ryan Bundy, who represented himself in the first criminal case. A judge declined that request, but allowed Bundy to consult in confidence with Roots, who became a volunteer paralegal for Bundy.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:cantlook:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

chancery wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:26 pm Roger Roots, who I only vaguely, and just barely, remember from the Bundy mess, is back. I haven't been following this thread, but a search for "Roots" yielded no results. Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else.
Supreme Court of Rhode Island.

IN RE: Application of Roger I. ROOTS.

No. 2000-276-M.P.

Decided: November 20, 2000
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ri-supreme- ... 01247.html

Roots hasn't improved since then.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I am unfortunately familiar with Roger. Ask me stuff if you want more info. I know a lot more than about his deck but his deck will always amuse me.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Oh yeah. DANCE PARTAYYY!

Not without EMT's on site.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

scirreeve wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:50 am I am unfortunately familiar with Roger. Ask me stuff if you want more info. I know a lot more than about his deck but his deck will always amuse me.
► Show Spoiler
Did he ever post a photo of it finished?
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

He hasn't posted an update on his deck construction. Here is a good overview of Roots' background.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/9 ... st-history
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Today, Judge Mehta ruled prosecutors CAN show a jury large portions of a Zello chat Oath Keeper Jessica Watkins was part of on Jan. 6, including her saying, "Trump's been trying to drain the swamp with a straw. We just brought a shop vac."
All tourists bring a shop vac with them, right?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kendra wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:50 pm
NEW: Today, Judge Mehta ruled prosecutors CAN show a jury large portions of a Zello chat Oath Keeper Jessica Watkins was part of on Jan. 6, including her saying, "Trump's been trying to drain the swamp with a straw. We just brought a shop vac."
All tourists bring a shop vac with them, right?
Nope, they issue them to you at the start of the tour...just like the headphones you get so you can hear the guide speak....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Today’s the day we find out if State Rep David Eastman (R-Wasilla) will be removed from the November ballot because of his Lifetime Oathkeeper membership. We have a ‘disloyalty clause’ in the AK constitution.

https://alaskabeacon.com/2022/09/20/sta ... h-keepers/

That’s David in the red jacket at the US Capitol on January 6th.

And he’s a full blown white supremacist. Here he is posing with a quote from his favorite Nazi.

At the hearing Eastman was represented by Joe Miller, who lost his US Senate bid to Lisa Murkowski with her write in campaign. Joe’s defense consisted of mostly claiming the Oath Keepers don’t exist anymore.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Starting soon: Pretrial conference/hearing in Capitol riot OathKeepers seditious conspiracy case. Jury selection begins Tuesday. So many lawyers in this case.. the security line is bottlenecked. And judge’s courtroom deputy is at security trying to navigate the traffic
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In Oath Keepers hearing, Judge Mehta asks if it's DOJ's position that the Insurrection Act stuff is just "a ruse" and a cover, because they always intended to resist the authority of the U.S. regardless.

AUSA Kathryn Rakoczy: "Correct, your honor."
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

David Eastman’s sworn affidavit that the Oath Keepers don’t exist anymore.

FYI, Ivan is a West Point grad, part of a group of 20+ Alaska alumni who are trying to remove Eastman from the legislature.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

And… we have a split decision.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Between this guy and the confessed killer in Indiana, public service is not attracting the best people.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Reminder, jury selection starts Tuesday morning :waiting:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

The rise and fall of the Oath Keepers, born in Las Vegas
https://www.reviewjournal.com/investiga ... s-2645040/

Here's the entire story if you'd rather not give clicks to Sheldon Adelson's newspaper:
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

re the reporter
Reporter Jeff German confronted the power players of Sin City. It may have gotten him killed.

TREVOR HUGHES | USA TODAY
2022/09/13

Story Summary
  • The murder of Las Vegas reporter Jeff German sent shockwaves through the community after a county official, Robert Telles, was arrested.
    Telles was the most recent in a long line of public officials held to account by German, who fearlessly targeted his coverage from the perspective of the underdog, those who knew him said.
    While German's colleagues have vowed to continue his work, "there’s never going to be another Jeff German," a local criminal defense attorney said.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... 022784001/
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna49483
A high-ranking member of the far-right Oath Keepers organization who has been charged in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol exchanged messages in November 2020 with former Trump White House aide Andrew Giuliani about election issues.

That same Oath Keeper member, Kellye SoRelle, also tried to text a White House number on Dec. 20, according to a new book from Denver Riggleman, a former Republican congressman from Virginia, and journalist Hunter Walker. That text message went to a White House switchboard line, so it could not be delivered.

Riggleman, who lost renomination for his congressional seat after expressing opposition to then-President Donald Trump in 2020, joined the Jan. 6 committee after leaving office. He served as a staffer for the committee from August 2021 to April.
realist

Post by realist »

Kendra wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:58 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna49483
A high-ranking member of the far-right Oath Keepers organization who has been charged in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol exchanged messages in November 2020 with former Trump White House aide Andrew Giuliani about election issues.

That same Oath Keeper member, Kellye SoRelle, also tried to text a White House number on Dec. 20, according to a new book from Denver Riggleman, a former Republican congressman from Virginia, and journalist Hunter Walker. That text message went to a White House switchboard line, so it could not be delivered.

Riggleman, who lost renomination for his congressional seat after expressing opposition to then-President Donald Trump in 2020, joined the Jan. 6 committee after leaving office. He served as a staffer for the committee from August 2021 to April.
And has said things in his book that could jeopardize parts of the investigation. Asshole.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

And has said things in his book that could jeopardize parts of the investigation. Asshole.
Agreed. This is reckless. I heard on Deadline WH that the committee is pissed. Not just annoyed, pissed.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Thanks Poppy for the LVRJ (SARJ?) article. I know that Skippy, Fleeman, and Donna Cox were members of SNOK.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

UPDATE from the Oath Keepers trial:

Judge Mehta rejected another attempt by defendants to change venue. He noted that of initial 150 jury candidates, 40% had never even heard of the Oath Keepers, and vast majority expressed no prejudgment bias.
Moar at the link.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”