Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

Post by Volkonski »

Brandi Buchman
@Brandi_Buchman
·
7m
#BREAKING: Oath Keeper leader Elmer Stewart Rhodes will remain in jail ahead of his trial this July where he will face seditious conspiracy charges related to his alleged role in the attack of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Someone is celebrating (probably with a sigh of relief).
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Tasha 1
Trump 0

:whistle:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance: :mbounce: :flag:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

If anyone's interested, here's a short interview with Rhodes' estranged son, Dakota, about growing up with Elmer.

Image Image Image Image
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

:lol:
Oath Keeper Stewart Rhodes Says Trump Needs to ‘Step Up’ and Raise Money For Group’s Legal Defense
https://hillreporter.com/oath-keeper-st ... nse-126023
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

poplove wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:25 pm :lol:
Oath Keeper Stewart Rhodes Says Trump Needs to ‘Step Up’ and Raise Money For Group’s Legal Defense
https://hillreporter.com/oath-keeper-st ... nse-126023
Yeah.....so thoughts and prayers there big guy....

Well let's face it, you're not going to get either from Zee Furher....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The bastard doesn't even pay for his own legal defense. :brickwallsmall:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Anyhow, he'd to queue up behind Manafort and Giuliani and many others :crying:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I just learned that Arkansas wannabe governor Sarah H. Sanders was/is an Oathkeeper. :sick:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dude, he ain't gonna pay Don Jr's legal bills, WTF makes you think he'd pay yours?

He MIGHT pay Vanky's.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Per defense attorney court submission: The US Justice Dept seized OathKeepers founder Stewart Rhodes "electronic device(s)" .. and are doing "data dumps" from the device(s)

Rhodes has pleaded not guilty and is jailed pending trial in July
bob

Post by bob »

Politico: Court orders Jan. 6 defense lawyer disbarred:
The most immediate impact of Jonathon Moseley’s disbarment may be in the upcoming trial of 11 Oath Keepers facing charges of seditious conspiracy for their role in the Capitol breach.

A Virginia state court has disbarred Jonathon Moseley, an attorney who has represented a slew of high-profile Jan. 6 defendants, including a member of the Oath Keepers charged with seditious conspiracy, as well as several targets of the House select committee investigating the attack on the Capitol.

Most prominent among Moseley’s criminal clients is Kelly Meggs, an Oath Keeper from Florida who took on a leadership role for the group that breached the Capitol. Moseley also previously represented Zachary Rehl, one of the Proud Boys leaders charged with conspiring to obstruct Congress on Jan. 6, 2021, though he withdrew from that case in December.

On Friday, after a two-day hearing in Prince William County Circuit Court, a three-judge panel ordered Moseley’s law license revoked, court records show.

Details of the bar discipline case against Moseley were not immediately available, but a summary posted on the Virginia State Bar website on Tuesday said the court found that he violated “professional rules that govern safekeeping property; meritorious claims and contentions; candor toward the tribunal; fairness to opposing party and counsel; unauthorized practice of law, multijurisdictional practice of law; bar admission and disciplinary matters … and misconduct.” The decision was effective on April 1.

Moseley plans to fight the disbarment and immediately filed an appeal. Reached by phone on Tuesday night and asked about the bar action, he was tight-lipped.

“Since it’s on appeal and otherwise confidential, I’ll have to wait on that. Thanks,” Moseley said, before hanging up.

Moseley’s troubles with the Virginia State Bar could imperil his ability to continue as an attorney for Meggs and in an array of other Jan. 6 litigation. Moseley is not a member of the District of Columbia Bar, but does belong to the bar of the federal court in D.C. handling those cases. Membership in that bar is contingent on bar membership in another state or locality.

The most immediate impact of Moseley’s disbarment may be in the upcoming trial of 11 Oath Keepers facing charges of seditious conspiracy for their role in the Capitol breach, including Meggs. U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta has worked to keep the trial on track for July, while scheduling two other Oath Keepers trials for later in the year. But Moseley’s exit could complicate Meggs’ ability to prepare a defense.

Moseley has also represented several major witnesses facing subpoenas from the Jan. 6 select committee, including Meggs, Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes — who was on the phone with Moseley when the FBI arrested him — and Stop the Steal founder Ali Alexander. Meggs and Alexander have both sued to block the select committee from obtaining their phone records.
The Virginia court's order looks like it was slapped together. Suggesting the court felt it didn't have the time to run the order through a word processor. :think:
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:52 pm The Virginia court's order looks like it was slapped together. Suggesting the court felt it didn't have the time to run the order through a word processor. :think:
Question for the IAAL's here: We hear stories of lawyers doing some pretty outrageous things and not being disbarred (think Orly Taitz). When a lawyer is finally disbarred, my impression is that they have done something pretty egregious, with slam-dunk evidence.

So, my question is, how often is an appeal from a disbarment successful, resulting in the attorney being re-instated?

And, who do they appeal to? The state organization (state bar association, state supreme court, etc.) who levelled the disbarment, or do they go to a local court?

So, what are the chances that Mosely will be re-instated?
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:15 pmSo, my question is, how often is an appeal from a disbarment successful, resulting in the attorney being re-instated?
By far the most common issue is the appropriateness of the punishment, and not whether the behavior warrants punishment. So reducing a disbarment to a (lengthy) suspension can and does happen.
And, who do they appeal to? The state organization (state bar association, state supreme court, etc.) who levelled the disbarment, or do they go to a local court?
Bars vary by state, but in this case, this bar filed a lawsuit in the trial court. This suggests an appeal is available in a higher court, with further appeals theoretically all the way to SCOTUS. (SCOTUS basically never accepts such a case, however.)

Other bars have internal discipline systems, but ultimately there is some sort of judicial review possible.
It is hard to say without knowing the details of the facts warranting disbarment.
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:28 pm
It is hard to say without knowing the details of the facts warranting disbarment.
On another thread, I brought up one case of his. He was sanctioned in a state court for various reasons including failing the inform the court he was under suspension for part of the case. When he did not pay the fine and show up to explain himself, he was found in contempt and tossed in jail for 6 days (until he could put up bail). He promptly sued the defendant, the defendant's attorney, and the judge in the state court in the ED of Virginia. The court dismissed the claim, sanctioned Mosely, and when he did not pay or show up in court to explain himself, found him in contempt.

If his history shows more than just this one case, I suspect it may be difficult to be reinstated if it requires fitness.

IIRC, there was something about unauthorized practice of law in the various reasons for disbarment, which may mean it includes the case above.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/4 ... y-to-trial
Tough day in court for Oath Keepers

Discovery in the sprawling and historic seditious conspiracy case is massive and in the run-up to trial, defense counsel for Rhodes has argued there hasn’t been enough time to prepare, pointing to the voluminous amounts of video footage they must comb through to make their case. They have also complained about incomplete records of evidence provided by the prosecution to the defense.

But that’s just not so, according to Judge Mehta.

He emphasized that defense attorneys have had several months to hone their case and sort out what will be relevant in the heap of evidence they have had access to.

To that point, he said, it won’t be video footage of Rhodes or some other Oath Keepers charged with conspiracy breaking a window that will make or break the defense, for example.

“What’s in the videos is not going to reveal what's in the defendant's state of mind,” Mehta said Friday. “What will matter is what is in these chats, what is in their social media, what is in the witness interviews. It will matter what they said to each other, what people overheard.”

“Unlike a lot of other defendants, most Jan. 6 cases genuinely are primarily about what the people did at the Capitol that day. This case has to do with that, undoubtedly true, but this is much more about what was said before Jan. 6, what was done in the days leading up to it and what was done on that day and important what was done after, OK? So, I don’t think anything that was done before Jan. 6, nothing after Jan. 6 was captured in video. It’s all in the chats, in their social media. That’s where you need to be looking,” Mehta said. “That’s whats going to tell a jury, not me, a jury, whether these folks engaged in a conspiracy to interfere with Congress.”

Beyond the scope of discovery, there’s also the sheer size of the trial causing much consternation for Judge Mehta.

Much of Friday’s conference was devoted to figuring out how to best run the trials once they kick off. There are 10 total defendants, plus attorneys for each defendant, a jury, court clerks and officers, and press that would need to squeeze into a single room.

Even the large ceremonial courtroom at the federal courthouse wouldn’t suffice. If the trial is moved offsite, then questions about how to properly detain defendants during breaks arise. The same issues plague the Proud Boys conspiracy case.
Mea culpa for extra paras. I donated to Daily Kos earlier this year so I haz paid for them.
raison de arizona

Lots of interesting stuff in here.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... -file_8746
EA96FF9C-1AFF-4E7E-BBC1-2F838D6A3EEE.jpeg
EA96FF9C-1AFF-4E7E-BBC1-2F838D6A3EEE.jpeg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 877 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"critical data to protect" - would that not be the job of the Capitol Police?

Treason?

Did Ronny actively assist the mob?

Another J6 Committee interview pending?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Quite the thread here. Still reading :popcorn:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Statement from Jackson's rep.

Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I'm sure Congressman Drunky McDrunkerson, having nothing to hide, will thus be happy to provide his phone records to the committee.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

Things are tough all over for Stewie...
Tasha Adams @That_Girl_Tasha wrote: I've been paying $70 a month for 4 1/2 years on a storage unit full of Stewart's crap. He promising to clear it out,but never did. My lawyer said I was no longer obligated to keep it. This is a random sample

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”