Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Kendra wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:22 pm
@MacFarlaneNews
Rhodes: "Antifa will throw bleach, urine and other substances you don't want in your eyes"

"Antifa will stab people"

He's arguing the OathKeepers wore "garb" on Jan 6 to defend themselves
I’ve seen nothing that says anti-fa was at the Capitol that day, have you? There were no skirmishes except with police.

Bugbear. Boo!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I am sure Antifa was there, weren't they dressed as Trump supporters as a disguise? :sarcasm:
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:02 pm 18 years. Just under guideline range as I understand it.

According to MacFarlane. He said range was 21-27 years. Prosecutor asked for 25. Any sentence just under guideline range will be bulletproof on appeal.
Thanks for that information.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Jordan Fischer
@JordanOnRecord
Next up is the sentencing hearing for Florida Oath Keepers leader Kelly Meggs. DOJ wants 21 years, but 18 is probably the ceiling now.

Supposed to start at 1:30 but that may be delayed a bit since Rhodes went long.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney
HAPPENING NOW: MEHTA is preparing to sentence Oath Keeper Kelly MEGGS for his conviction on seditious conspiracy. Mehta has agreed to add a terrorism enhancement to Meggs' sentence, though not as steep as the one he gave Stewart RHODES, who Mehta says "stands apart."
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

"Only 18" is trending on Twitter, just for Elmer :lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@kyledcheney
Kelly MEGGS now addressing Judge Mehta, talking primarily about how his actions on Jan. 6 has destroyed his family, his life and his future. He says he's only ever told the truth about what happened on Jan. 6 (he opted not to testify in his trial).
Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney
MEGGS now telling his version of Jan. 6 that he declined to say on the stand. Says there was no plan to go inside the Capitol and that he is the one who deviated from the plan and took his people inside.
Meggs is now directly addressing Officer Dunn, who is in the room, and says he apologizes if he caused him any fear that day. A US marshal steps in and tells Meggs to stop gesturing toward the gallery.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@JordanOnRecord
🚨 SENTENCE: Kelly Meggs, the former leader of the Oath Keepers' Florida state chapter who led a stack of militia members into the U.S. Capitol, ordered to serve 12 years in prison for sedition and multiple other conspiracy counts.
bob

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:46 am
sterngard friegen wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:26 am Hoping this Yale Law graduate gets at least 10 years. He is so stupid that I suspect Yale let him in based on his military service. Bad move.
Getting into college is one thing. Passing courses is another.
No doubt Stern has some opinions on Yale Law's curve, "Gentlemen's C," etc.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

New NBC News story about it:
Oath Keepers founder sentenced to 18 years in Jan. 6 seditious conspiracy case
Stewart Rhodes, who said after the Capitol attack that the rioters “should have brought rifles," received the longest sentence of any Jan. 6 defendant to date.
May 25, 2023, 4:59 PM UTC / Updated May 25, 2023, 8:37 PM UTC
By Ryan J. Reilly, Daniel Barnes and Gary Grumbach

WASHINGTON — The founder of the far-right Oath Keepers has been sentenced to 18 years in federal prison in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol following his conviction on seditious conspiracy. The sentence for Stewart Rhodes is the longest imposed on a Jan. 6 defendant to date. In a politically-charged speech in the courtroom just before his sentencing, he called himself a "political prisoner" and said that when he talked about "regime change" in a phone call with supporters earlier this week, he meant he hopes that former President Donald Trump will win in 2024.

The judge disagreed that Rhodes had been locked up for politics, saying it was his actions that led to his criminal convictions. “You, sir, present an ongoing threat and a peril to this country and to the republic and to the very fabric of this democracy," Judge Amit Mehta said before handing down the sentence. Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy in November along with Kelly Meggs, a fellow Oath Keepers member.

"They won't fear us until we come with rifles in hand," Rhodes wrote in a message ahead of the Jan. 6 attack. After the attack, in a recording that was played in court during his trial, he said his only regret was that they “should have brought rifles.” Wearing an orange prison jumpsuit Thursday, Rhodes said he believes the only crime he committed was opposing those who are “destroying our country.”

Mehta told Rhodes that he was found guilty of seditious conspiracy “not because of your beliefs, not because you supported the other guy, not because Joe Biden is president right now,” but because of the facts of the case, and his actions before, during and after Jan. 6. “You are not a political prisoner, Mr. Rhodes,” he said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna85852
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Awwwww poor Stewie...

FA and FO :loser:

No doubt he'll end up in a CMU with other terrorists..... :wave:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:16 am Does Rhodes know what “aghast” means?
An upgraded Ghoul in Dungeons & Dragons?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Two more Oath Keepers are set to be sentenced today: Jessica Watkins, of Ohio, and Kenneth Harrelson, of Florida. Unlike both defendants sentenced yesterday, Watkins and Harrelson were acquitted of seditious conspiracy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

On the other hand, Watkins was the most personally violent on J6, leading a group of 7 OKs as they pushed up a corridor toward the Senate floor against a column of riot police. She also brought to J6 a group of 3 other militia recruits from OH, arguably making her a "leader."
/4
Edit: 8.5 years.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sentencing today at 930am in Capitol riot OathKeepers case of Roberto Minuta of NY

Feds will seek 17 years prison, arguing.. "In his own words, he was prepared to die for his cause, and on January 6, as part of "Stack Two", he led other Oath Keepers in storming into the Capitol"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

🚨 SENTENCE: Oath Keeper Roberto Minuta, of New York, sentenced to 4.5 years (54 months) in prison for seditious conspiracy for his role in the Capitol riot.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

You have been naughty
This tap on the wrist is your punishment

Next time you try to violently overthrow democracy there will be sterner words!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:53 pm You have been naughty
This tap on the wrist is your punishment

Next time you try to violently overthrow democracy there will be sterner words!
I can't believe he got only 4.5 years. I have seriously reduced my expectations about these criminals getting sentences that indicate the seriousness of their behavior, but jeezus this is depressing.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

IMG_9251.jpeg
IMG_9251.jpeg (126.19 KiB) Viewed 608 times
https://www.rawstory.com/oath-keepers-a ... al-report/
Kellye SoRelle, an attorney who represented the far-right Oath Keepers militia, has been found incompetent to stand trial for the charges against her, reported CBS News' Scott MacFarlane on Thursday.

"In court proceeding just now, Judge Amit Mehta reveals a competency issue has been raised in criminal case of one-time Oath Keepers attorney and current Jan 6 defendant Kellye Sorelle," said MacFarlane on Twitter. "'Restoration' process being discussed now. She’s not in pretrial custody. Could delay case."

Mehta, MacFarlane continued, "says there’s been a conclusion reached that Oath Keepers lawyer Kellye Sorelle is 'incompetent' in case, but judge says no full report is available yet, nor is there 'recommendation for restoration' yet. Sorelle has co-defendants in Jan 6 case. Case could proceed without her."
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

But could her defendants come back with ineffective counsel?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:49 pm But could her defendants come back with ineffective counsel?
Possibly; I wouldn't be surprised if they tried.

This mean she presently cannot stand trial. Presumably due to mental-health issues.

But her present mental condition does not necessarily impugn her performance in the past when she was representing others.
Image ImageImage
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Greatgrey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 pm https://www.rawstory.com/oath-keepers-a ... al-report/
Kellye SoRelle, an attorney who represented the far-right Oath Keepers militia, has been found incompetent to stand trial for the charges against her, reported CBS News' Scott MacFarlane on Thursday.

"In court proceeding just now, Judge Amit Mehta reveals a competency issue has been raised in criminal case of one-time Oath Keepers attorney and current Jan 6 defendant Kellye Sorelle," said MacFarlane on Twitter. "'Restoration' process being discussed now. She’s not in pretrial custody. Could delay case."

Mehta, MacFarlane continued, "says there’s been a conclusion reached that Oath Keepers lawyer Kellye Sorelle is 'incompetent' in case, but judge says no full report is available yet, nor is there 'recommendation for restoration' yet. Sorelle has co-defendants in Jan 6 case. Case could proceed without her."
Sometimes, SovCits spouting extreme nonsense can earn themselves a competency evaluation, usually to appeal-proof the proceedings. Neither the Raw Story article nor anything else I could find have any hint as to whether she's simply trapped in SovCit delusion or whether there's a clinical issue at work.
bob

Post by bob »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:07 pmSometimes, SovCits spouting extreme nonsense can earn themselves a competency evaluation, usually to appeal-proof the proceedings. Neither the Raw Story article nor anything else I could find have any hint as to whether she's simply trapped in SovCit delusion or whether there's a clinical issue at work.
:yeahthat:

It very well may be, "If you insist on playing word games, enjoy your stay in your padded room. See you in a few months."
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:51 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:49 pm But could her defendants come back with ineffective counsel?
Possibly; I wouldn't be surprised if they tried.

This mean she presently cannot stand trial. Presumably due to mental-health issues.

But her present mental condition does not necessarily impugn her performance in the past when she was representing others.
Those defendants would not be any of the January 6 folks. As best as I can tell, she has only one case in federal court where she was representing someone and that was Latinos for Trump in which she was joined by that goofball Paul Davis.

Currently, she is administratively suspended for not paying her membership fees in the Texas Bar. I assume that happened after the 2021 Latinos for Trump case.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:07 pm
Greatgrey wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:45 pm https://www.rawstory.com/oath-keepers-a ... al-report/

Sometimes, SovCits spouting extreme nonsense can earn themselves a competency evaluation, usually to appeal-proof the proceedings. Neither the Raw Story article nor anything else I could find have any hint as to whether she's simply trapped in SovCit delusion or whether there's a clinical issue at work.
Someone said she's deep into conspiracy theories. Eh, so are a lot of people. Doesn't seem to stop them from being tried.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”