Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Keepers of the Oaf (Oath Keepers) Elmer Stewart Rhodes etc.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

... the judge ... instructed the jury to disregard what they might have heard, not to speculate about what he might intended to say, and not to speculate about why he was not testifying ...
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the great conundrums of the American legal system.

In the land of the free (and home of the brave), those folks have been compelled to sit in the jury box for the duration, and now the judge is telling them what they can think and what they can not think, which is pretty fucking intrusive, you ask me.

Not even to mention, it's metaphysically absurd, man. You're telling me to "disregard" something I heard with my own personal earbones? And you're telling me not to speculate about what I've seen and heard here? What exactly do you think I do at night to get ready for sleep, if I can't speculate about the events of the day I've just lived through?

I'm an American, your honor. I'm going to go home tonight and speculate about whatever the hell I decide to speculate about. As is my right. Of course I have to wonder what the hell was going on, the dude gets on the stand and all he says is "On advice of counsel ..." and the judge blew up and cut him off and threw him out without letting him testify, WTF was that all about? :confuzzled:

But those jurors just sit there and take it. All jurors just sit there and take it. You'd think the judge was their boss or sumpin'.

Then they all went home and speculated anyway. Direct violation of a judge's order. LOCK THEM UP. :boxing:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

OOPS: DOJ appears to have inadvertently posted a sealed filing asking Judge Mehta to grill Oath Keepers defense attorneys about whether they leaked to the NYT that one of the key defense witnesses was a CHS for the FBI.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

crossposting this here too

it's all about Elmer :lol:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... racy-trial

Brandi Buchman's detailed reporting from trial. Sit down. Rest a spell. Read the deets.
Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes rests case in Jan. 6 seditious conspiracy trial

Judge Mehta will meet with attorneys on Nov. 10 to discuss jury instructions only since there was a change to witness schedules. The trial resumes Monday, Nov. 14. I will be there for Daily Kos.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/202 ... dren-speak
Exclusive: Oath Keepers Leader Stewart Rhodes' Children Speak

In February, Hatewatch met with and interviewed Rhodes’ adult children: son Dakota Adams, 24, and daughters Sedona Adams, 23, and Sequoia Adams, 19, in Kalispell, Montana. Rhodes and his ex-wife, Tasha Adams, have three other children who are still minors, and are not included in this interview.

The conversation shed important new light on the psychology of the Oath Keepers founder and provided the untold story of the impact of his public activities on his family.

They told Hatewatch about living with Rhodes, his motivations for creating the organization, and the reasons for his alleged participation in the riot on Jan. 6.

To be clear, this story contains detailed allegations of domestic abuse. Those allegations reflect patterns in domestic abuse that researchers have repeatedly demonstrated.

Researchers have shown that it is very difficult to leave an abusive partner, and that the moment at which survivors do leave is often the one of greatest danger. If an abusive partner has access to a gun, it’s five times more likely that they will murder their partner.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Uh oh.

Judge Mehta is... decidedly not happy to have Jessica Watkins' testimony sprung on him w/o warning. He gave the jury a timeframe and now it's shot to hell. Crisp was pretty clear yesterday he had just the one witness left.

Ultimately, it's Watkins' call — and right — though.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NOW: The defense in the Oath Keepers seditious conspiracy case has rested.
We will finally now get into jury instructions. Judge Mehta says he expects that to take the remainder of the afternoon, so closings anticipated tomorrow
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@JordanOnRecord
Geyer, to a mass groan in the media room: "If the video doesn't fit, you must acquit."
:roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

And the jury has it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The jury has sent back a note asking for clarity on the seditious conspiracy charge, specifically the language about "hindering or delaying the execution of any law of the U.S."
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/ ... 1180483589
Kyle Cheney@kyledcheney
·
2m
All defendants are in the room and Judge Mehta is presiding. Just awaiting the jury now. Defense wants the jury polled and also wants permission from Mehta to speak to the jurors after the verdict is delivered.
Why the hell would they want to? The Jurys job is done at that point.

Is it just to say "STUPID! YOU STUPID STUPID MINDS!
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Rhodes guilty of seditious conspiracy. Awwww.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MEGGS: Guilty
HARRELSON: Not guilty
WATKINS: Not guilty
CALDWELL: Not guilty
Per Kyle Cheney.
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

Suranis wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:06 pm https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/ ... 1180483589
Kyle Cheney@kyledcheney
·
2m
All defendants are in the room and Judge Mehta is presiding. Just awaiting the jury now. Defense wants the jury polled and also wants permission from Mehta to speak to the jurors after the verdict is delivered.
Why the hell would they want to? The Jurys job is done at that point.

Is it just to say "STUPID! YOU STUPID STUPID MINDS!
This is common in US courts, from my personal experience. I have served as a juror in both a civil and a criminal trial, and in both cases the attorneys asked to speak with the jury afterwards.

Jurors are neither required to nor barred from speaking with the attorneys after the trial is concluded.

My understanding (from the judge after the more recent case) was that attorneys want to know what evidence or arguments the jurors found especially convincing one way or another. It’s part of the litigators’ ongoing personal development - how to become a better trial lawyer.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/ ... 5312219138
SEDITIOUS CONSPIRACY VERDICT

RHODES: Guilty

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney
·

HARRELSON: Not guilty
WATKINS: Not guilty

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney
·
28s
CONSPIRACY TO OBSTRUCT:

RHODES: Not guilty
WATKINS: Guilty
HARRELSON

OBSTRUCTION

Rhodes: Guilty
Meggs: Guilty
Watkins: Guilty
Harrelson: Guilty
Caldwell: Guilty
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

Gupwalla wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 pm My understanding (from the judge after the more recent case) was that attorneys want to know what evidence or arguments the jurors found especially convincing one way or another. It’s part of the litigators’ ongoing personal development - how to become a better trial lawyer.
:yeahthat:

And, on a more human level, some jurors want to talk about their experiences, even if just to thank one side or berate the other; it can be cathartic.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Wait, Ryan Reilly is on MSNBC, the not guilty is for the seditious conspiracy charges, but all guilty for the obstruction charges. I think I have that right, watching updates on Twitter, texting the news and paying attention to the TV.

LOL, I just love Glenn Kirshner and he calls Rhodes ELMER Stewart Rhodes.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I don't understand the distribution of some of the verdicts but I wasn't there (at the trial).
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Revised below
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/2 ... t-00071248
Jury convicts Oath Keepers leader of seditious conspiracy
Stewart Rhodes’ conviction is the most significant to emerge from the Justice Department’s investigation of the 2021 attack on the Capitol.

A jury has convicted Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes of masterminding a plot to violently subvert the transfer of power from Donald Trump to Joe Biden, finding that he entered into a seditious conspiracy against the U.S. government.

The jury also convicted Rhodes ally Kelly Meggs, leader of the Florida Oath Keepers, of seditious conspiracy. But the jury acquitted three co-defendants — Jessica Watkins, Kenneth Harrelson and Thomas Caldwell — of joining Rhodes in that conspiracy. All five, however, were convicted on additional felony charges, including obstruction of Congress.

Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:39 pm I don't understand the distribution of some of the verdicts but I wasn't there (at the trial).
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:39 pm I don't understand the distribution of some of the verdicts but I wasn't there (at the trial).
Take solace that all of them are guilty of a felony in some fashion...

No moar weapon of gun for them... :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
realist

Post by realist »

Ditto.

All guilty of obstruction but not guilty on conspiracy to obstruct. So they all just decided on their own to obstruct? :confuzzled:
Image X 4
Image X 32

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”