Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

To what are you listening?

Chilidog

Re: To what are you listening?

Post by Chilidog »

I just stumnled on the Murdauch Murders podcasts by Mandy Matney.

I binged on the first 5 episodes.

Wow.

Sordid and sleezy and fascinating.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Ancient album for the early 70's: Spirit - Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Back BP, I spent several months looking for a good copy of Sardonicus. Finally found one and listened to it once, and thought I'm not sure why this has a cult following I'll jhave to listen some more. And then I didn't.

I guess I should pull it and give it a chance. I really do like Spirits first couple of albums a lot. "Fresh Garbage" is an all time great track, totally underapreciated by many.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

With all the crap going on right now, I've had to back off the news. Now my radio is set to the Grateful Dead station.

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:20 pm Back BP, I spent several months looking for a good copy of Sardonicus. Finally found one and listened to it once, and thought I'm not sure why this has a cult following I'll jhave to listen some more. And then I didn't.

I guess I should pull it and give it a chance. I really do like Spirits first couple of albums a lot. "Fresh Garbage" is an all time great track, totally underapreciated by many.
I think it was their mix of rock, jazz, and abtraction that worked for me. The rock had easily digestible ditties that locked in your head quickly followed by more complex jazz riffs that delighted the listening intellect. Then they would toss in something bizarre that halted all thinking for a moment. It was a sensation I couldn't quite pigeon hole.

Though never credited for it, I think they influenced groups like the B52's who were more than a decade later.

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:20 pm With all the crap going on right now, I've had to back off the news. Now my radio is set to the Grateful Dead station.

I was never a Dead Head, and couldn't understand the attraction, despite my attraction to Spirit that utilized many of the same elements. This particular cut was one of the few they managed to stay in tune and on beat.
keith

Post by keith »

I have a Samsung TV. For the first time I tried Samsung TV channels.

There is a British channel pair Now thats what I call the 70s / 80s. I tried the 80s. First up Billy Ocean. Nope. Switch to 70s. And they are playing stuff from 1969. First up Marmelade. At least it doesnt make me turn off immediatly.

Next was 5th Dimension with Aquarious/Let the sunshine in. Getting better.

Back to the 70s and they are playing the Beatles after the Beatles. So John and Paul. Then 10 minutes of crappy commercials. Prices in pounds. More John - Imagine!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Music from thr 70s? Then i expect price quotes in shillings and pence (the ancient ones) ;)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I I turned on YouTube's calming music channels for MIL and me. We both fell asleep to the Tranquil Music channel. We did not give her Haldol that night. She slept like a baby.

N10- What instruments are in this? I know piano, but how is the holding echo tone created?Also, what instrument is playing the chords?

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:54 am I I turned on YouTube's calming music channels for MIL and me. We both fell asleep to the Tranquil Music channel. We did not give her Haldol that night. She slept like a baby.

N10- What instruments are in this? I know piano, but how is the holding echo tone created?Also, what instrument is playing the chords?

It is all synthesized (i.e. electronic) including the piano. There are probably a few different synth tones in the chords that got louder and softer. In addition various different types of effects (reverberation, i.e. the echo you mention, panning, chorus effects, maybe some phasing effects and delays, etc.). All this is then looped to end up going 11 hours.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thank you, N10! :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy, theme (you can turn on subtitles if desired)

Miki Asakura C'est La Vie To Iwanaide (there's a 4 minute version too).
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

keith

Post by keith »

man oh man

Squeezing out that "falsetto" passages is HARD to do.

I quit the trombone mostly because my 8th grade short armed self couldn't reach last position and anyway Bob had a valve trombone so he was ALWAYS gonna get first chair no matter how much better I was than him (I wasn't, but anyway).

I used to play around with what I call 'falsetto' a bit. It takes a lot of lung power and lip strength. And to actually hit the note you want to hit? Wow.
Tiredretiredlawyer

My dad played the trombone in high school and at University of Georgia his freshman year where he was also the drum major. Then he joined the Marines.

Firstborn Son cannot hold a melody in his "normal range" but the man can sing falsetto! :biggrin:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:54 am Firstborn Son cannot hold a melody in his "normal range" but the man can sing falsetto! :biggrin:
That is likely because he had not really found his true normal range (his tessitura). If he had a strong falsetto, I would suspect he probably has a wide break (the passagio) between the head voice/falsetto and his chest voice. Because of that he may be trying to sing in a very limited speaking voice chest voice area, so he is outside his natural tessitura. This is not uncommon.

That he can sing in the falsetto is good news as most guys can, but won't. Though there is no one size fits all but working at bridging the passagio can help. It is better to bridge from the top and go down as it brings some head voice into the chest voice, i.e. starting high and going down over the break area (I do vocal warmups with bass/baritones on this to get them out of that small chest voice only area as they tend to be the ones with large breaks between falsetto and chest voice, as I once was).

I don't know his age but men's voices don't settle until they are in their early thirties (women are faster) and at least in classical singing methods, don't really hit their peak until they're 40s. While I am not nearly in the vocal shape I was in my 20s during school and vocal studying, I can do things now that I could not do back then (resonance, control, etc).

See, even my world has fancy terms though instead of lawyer Latin, it is Italian.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

The Redneck Liberal has 2, count 'em, TWO podcasts!!!!

https://www.traecrowder.com/puttinonairs
Puttin' On Airs
Trae Crowder & Corey Ryan Forrester
Puttin' On Airs is a podcast where two good ol boys from the rural South learn about and analyze fancy people and their culture. Join redneck comedians Trae Crowder and Corey Ryan Forrester as they try and make sense of the world's bougie-est bullsh*t. So if you wanna find out what the Queen does all damn day, or why rich people love makin' horses have sex, or what the elite and white trash have in common (it's more than you think), and you wanna hear it all in the syrupy sorghum drawl of two country ass comic buddies, then check out Puttin' On Airs.

Puttin On Airs answers the question you’ve all been asking yourself: When am I gonna hear two dudes who sound like Slingblade give me a history lesson on Marie Antoinette? If Drunk History had a baby with 2 Bears 1 Cave, the result would be Puttin On Airs. Half redneck. Half posh. 100% fun and entertaining!

SUBSCRIBE TO "PUTTIN' ON AIRS" on YOUTUBE and WATCH full episodes every week plus BONUS CONTENT - https://www.youtube.com/c/PuttinOnAirsPodcast
https://www.traecrowder.com/podcast

https://www.traecrowder.com/podcast/epi ... n-and-more
Ten Greatest Rednecks of All Time
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

After the discussion in the Hijack thread, I started listening to Game of Thrones. Narrated by the late Roy Dotrice. This is my fourth or fifth time through the series. I had forgotten most of this stuff.

Also listening to American History Tellers podcast (*very* good), and just finished American Scandals. Also very good. Both provide detailed multi-episode accounts of things I’d heard of but didn’t know much about.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hello.

My name is Slim Cognito

And I am listening to Taylor Swift.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

Welcome, Slim.

Shake it off!
keith

Post by keith »

So a guy comes into the shop the other day and buys his Powerball tickets. I've seen him a few times but I wouldn't describe him as a regular.

In stead of just turning around and walking out, he starts humming and kinda rockin' his body back and forth.

Normally you'd sorta just make sure he wasn't gonna knife anyone, but the thing is, he was rockin' out to the music I had just started before he came in.

So I said "Ah... you like Stan Getz do you?"

He said "That's Menina Moca", I said "yeah, Its off his collaboration with Laurindo Almeida" (which happens to be my favourite jazz album of all time).

He said "Yep, Getz is the greatest sax player in the history of the world".

Before I had a chance to say "well that's a big call, but he is certainly in contention", he started running down Getz' biography. I coulda been there for hours but a bunch of customers came in and the rush didn't let me pay him any attention.

But it got me thinking, who are MY "greatest in the world" JAZZ players. So I might just lay out my thoughts here.

First, the track that started the process is the opening track on this album:

keith

Post by keith »

For me, Getz and John Coltrane are pretty much tied at the top.

There are of course, a lot of very fine sax players that are worthy of 'the greatest' label, Charlie Parker, Ornette Coleman, Pharoah Sanders, Sonny Rollins, Cannonball Adderley, Dexter Gordon, etc, etc, etc.

But I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”