Sen. Lindsey Graham - Consistently Inconsistent

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Sen. Lindsey Graham (insert something clever here)

Post by raison de arizona »

Steven Mazie @stevenmazie wrote: NEW at SCOTUS: Senator Lindsey Graham files emergency docket application seeking to be released from order to testify in Trump’s Georgia election fraud case
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Mmm. He sounds a little desperate. Wonder why. :think:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:08 pm Mmm. He sounds a little desperate. Wonder why. :think:
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
June bug

Post by June bug »

Surprise, surprise. Not.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

You scared, bro? You sound scared.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just think of the massive legal fees and headaches he'd have avoided if he'd just gone in and testified. Clearly, he doesn't want to do it under oath. Wonder why?
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Clarence did Lindsey a temporary favor.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:roll:
raison de arizona

Well I'm just astonished someone whose wife plotted to overturn the 2020 election would block a grand jury subpoena seeking testimony regarding efforts to overturn the 2020 election.
:roll:
Who'd a thunk?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Apparently, we did not read the Twitter post that said that the stay is no big deal. It is quite common despite whose circuit it came from (i.e. which justice).

I heard people reading a bunch of things into Thomas referring the Trump/DOJ application to the full court. If I were him, I may have done the same thing. It was a heavier media case, and if he had acted as was his choice, it would have come back and need to be referred to the full court. It was a time saver.

In this type of case, putting in a stay keeps the case from being mooted before both sides can be heard and SCOTUS act accordingly. It would also would reduce the time and resources spent jockeying around on how to enforce when it may actually be completely changed by a SCOTUS ruling.
101010 :towel:
realist

Post by realist »

northland10 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:25 pm Apparently, we did not read the Twitter post that said that the stay is no big deal. It is quite common despite whose circuit it came from (i.e. which justice).

I heard people reading a bunch of things into Thomas referring the Trump/DOJ application to the full court. If I were him, I may have done the same thing. It was a heavier media case, and if he had acted as was his choice, it would have come back and need to be referred to the full court. It was a time saver.

In this type of case, putting in a stay keeps the case from being mooted before both sides can be heard and SCOTUS act accordingly. It would also would reduce the time and resources spent jockeying around on how to enforce when it may actually be completely changed by a SCOTUS ruling.
I read it. But I disagree to an extent.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

It's possible that Thomas should have, oh, I don't know, maybe handed this case off to someone whose wife isn't a treasonous piece of dogshit. But that's just me. :|
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
raison de arizona

I get what Thomas did, and I get that they need four votes to take it up. I don't get people saying, "That will never happen." Just like overturning Roe v. Wade? This court is out of control and totally unpredictable, but shirley they wouldn't take this up. Right? Right?!? I'm far from saying that they will, but anyone claiming (as I've seen on the bird site) it's out of the realm of possibility hasn't been paying attention.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Well Lindsey needs to book a flight to Atlanta, SCOTUS DENINED his appeal.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/cou ... 1_qol1.pdf

June bug

Post by June bug »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:39 pm Well Lindsey needs to book a flight to Atlanta, SCOTUS DENINED his appeal.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/cou ... 1_qol1.pdf

The denial is good, but I worry about the reasoning that his “informal investigative factfinding” is protected by tge Speech and Debate clause. Sounds as though that may be a get out of jail free card as far as him answering any actually relevant questions.
Greatgrey

Post by Greatgrey »

Wait for it, Lindsey will assert any question is about Legislative Function/Speech & Debate and head right back to District Court.

86B879F9-6380-4F85-9E19-F4BD81F3CC0A.png
86B879F9-6380-4F85-9E19-F4BD81F3CC0A.png (24.32 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
tek

Post by tek »

I am not a lawyer, and I didn't go to Harvard Law, but it seems to me that anything Graham asked or told any Georgia official to do (other than produce data) can't have any legislative purpose.. so would not be covered by the S&D clause..

But I'm guessing that the boundaries of the S&D clause are ill-defined..
raison de arizona

bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
tek

Post by tek »

"I don't recall"
"Speech and Debate"
"I don't remember"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Are his calls recorded?

Kind of makes the "I can't recall" thing hard to use. Also, if he went that way, isn't it strange that all the ones he remembers, he remembers well enough to claim privileges?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

Graham slams soft-on-crime Bragg for targeting Trump while New Yorkers lucky not to get ‘mugged’
Graham said Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg is doing more to help Trump get elected 'than any single person in America today'

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., spoke out Saturday against a possible indictment of former President Donald Trump from the Manhattan District Attorney's office, urging the 2024 GOP presidential candidate to fight back and "take this all the way to the damn Supreme Court."

"The prosecutor in New York has done more to help Donald Trump get elected president than any single person in America today," said Graham, speaking from Charleston, South Carolina, at the Palmetto Family Council's Vision '24 Forum, a prominent conservative Christian event.

In New York City, "you're lucky if you don't get mugged on the way to where you're going. Is this really the most important thing going on in Manhattan?" Graham questioned. "I think this is an effort that's ongoing, never ending to destroy Donald Trump, everything around Donald Trump."
:snippity:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/graham ... get-mugged
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sen. Lindsey Graham admonished in rare move by Senate ethics panel

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/24/lindse ... hics-panel
The Senate Ethics Committee admonished Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Thursday for using interviews at the Capitol to solicit campaign donations.

Why it matters: It's an uncommon move by the panel, which is less active than its House counterpart. The last senator to receive an admonishment was Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) in 2018.

The last one before that was former Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) in 2012. Fewer than a dozen senators have been admonished since 2002.

Driving the news: The letter from Chair Chris Coons (D-Del.) and Vice Chair James Lankford (R-Okla.) cites a Nov. 30, 2022 Fox News appearance Graham made from the Russell Senate Office Building.

In the interview, Graham "directly solicited campaign contributions" for Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker five separate times, according to the letter.

Coons and Lankford wrote that donation requests represent a "repeat violation, citing an Oct. 14, 2020 hallway interview at another Senate office building in which Graham solicited donations to his own reelection campaign.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Current Politics”