Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Sen. Lindsey Graham - Consistently Inconsistent

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Gregg

Re: Sen. Lindsey Graham (insert something clever here)

Post by Gregg »

Rant mode
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Cabana Boy Lindsey could not show up due to a conflict on his schedule. Tee-time with tfg I think.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

JUST IN: Fulton County DA makes final case to force Sen. Lindsey Graham to testify about his calls with GA officials as Trump attempted to overturn the results. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 24.0_2.pdf
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Denined.

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Wonder what he's so skeered of?
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

"Sen. Lindsey Graham, cracker"
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
tek

Post by tek »

Graham contended that as a senator, his calls about the election process were related to policy matters that could be construed as official business.
My bullshit meter is in the red zone.
ANYTHING could be construed as official business. Even if it obviously isn't.
bob

Post by bob »

The motion was denied without prejudice (and remanded back to the state court), essentially giving Graham a do over for his speech-and-debate-clause argument.

But the federal judge was hinting not to bother because it already found the situation was extraordinary, meaning the usual rules might not apply.
Image ImageImage
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

So, as I read Article The First, Section Six, Clause One:

"shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony, and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their attendance at the Session of their Respective Houses, and in going to and from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place."

Don't see how this applies to the aforementioned Senator. Yes, he was "in attendance" on the day he made his phone call. But that is about the extent of the relevance of this (and the few cases cited on Wikipedia) particular part of the Constitution.

Why did he need to know about Georgia's election procedures and policies? I do not see how his role on the Judiciary Committee has any bearing on federal elections run by the states.

Did he commit a felony? Dunno. In my lay opinion, this would be a facts-and-circumstances situation to be decided by the trier of fact (should it ever go that far.) Did he breach the peace? Again, see last sentence.

Seems that the aforementioned Senator is putting the cart before the horse. Let the facts of the case play out. Respond to the Grand Jury summons. If you think you are in over your head, I presume you can imitate your Fearless Leader and take the Fifth.

This argument to quash the subpoena is nothing but bullshit. Pretty soon anything a Congressperson does will be able to be hidden behind the Speech and Debate Clause. Even if he is home and gets into an altercation with a civilian. I was debating when I cold-cocked him.

King's X you know.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
bob

Post by bob »

Unsurprising:
Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NOTABLE: In Graham's motion to stay the lower court ruling, his attorney says the DA's office had verbally promised to postpone his grand jury appearance pending appeal. He says they didn't tell him until 4:40 a.m. today that they were changing course.

https://politico.com/f/?id=00000182-b7a ... af49d50000
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

So what if they sent an email at 4:40am saying they were opposing moving it from the 23rd. Would it have made a difference if they waited until 9am to send the email? Seems like a red herring.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Harry Litman @harrylitman 4h

district court refuses to stay its motion ordering Lindsey Graham to testify in Fulton County. next stop for Graham: emergency motion to 11th circuit. in the meantime, the order for him to testify stands.

I didn’t steal miscellaneous top secret documents
@MartinJmcmah 4h Replying to @harrylitman and @gtconway3d

The remarkable duplicity of Lindsey Graham who, as chair of the Judiciary committee, threatened Hillary Clinton with prison if she refused to comply with a subpoena and now he refuses to comply with a lawfully issued subpoena.
David Weissman @davidmweissman 4h
I'm old enough to remember when Sen. Lindsey Graham demanded that Hillary Clinton should testify for Benghazi, but that hypocritical weasel can't practice what he preaches? I'm so glad the judge is holding him accountable, I'm so sick of the hypocrisy from Republicans.
That is so true. He is such trash.

Lindsey GJ.JPG
Lindsey GJ.JPG (68.48 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

He really, really must not want to testify under oath. He could have showed up, take the fifth, and be on his way and lots less lawyer bills. :batting:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

orlylicious wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:07 am
Harry Litman @harrylitman 4h

district court refuses to stay its motion ordering Lindsey Graham to testify in Fulton County. next stop for Graham: emergency motion to 11th circuit. in the meantime, the order for him to testify stands.

I didn’t steal miscellaneous top secret documents
@MartinJmcmah 4h Replying to @harrylitman and @gtconway3d

The remarkable duplicity of Lindsey Graham who, as chair of the Judiciary committee, threatened Hillary Clinton with prison if she refused to comply with a subpoena and now he refuses to comply with a lawfully issued subpoena.
David Weissman @davidmweissman 4h
I'm old enough to remember when Sen. Lindsey Graham demanded that Hillary Clinton should testify for Benghazi, but that hypocritical weasel can't practice what he preaches? I'm so glad the judge is holding him accountable, I'm so sick of the hypocrisy from Republicans.
That is so true. He is such trash.

Lindsey GJ.JPG
By running the hell away as fast as they can
bob

Post by bob »

This may be too much inside baseball, but the 11th Cir. technically held (in abeyance) a motion pending before it, and stayed the district court's remand order. (Sending the case back to state court essentially meant Graham was going to lose.)

The 11th then kicked the case back to the district court, to decide the speech-and-debate issue.

So the "temporary" stay is indefinite in length because it is conditional on events with no fixed end point. It is temporary in the sense that it will be eventually decided, but not temporary as in "for a short duration."

And regardless of how the district court rules, the 11th still has its teeth in it, so it'll hear an appeal either way (unless the state just drops the matter). And then there's SCOTUS; another opportunity for delay.
Image ImageImage
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Bob, to continue the baseball metaphor:

The game has been postponed due to weather. No more games are scheduled between the two teams this season. The game will be played only if the outcome determines a playoff spot which won't be determined until the regular season is over.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

And justice delayed is justice denied, I fear. :(

At this point, they may as well go ahead with any grand jury indictments without waiting for the Graham Cracker, because yes, the appeals court seems to be okay with a significant delay while the parties hash out the arguments for and against the application of the speech and debate clause in the Constitution.

Which would be great for the lawyers, an important constitutional issue without a lot of case law, and a memory in the back of everyone's mind about how it was apparently legal for Preston Brooks to beat the living crap out of Charles Sumner, more than 166 years ago.

But maybe not so great for getting Lindsay to testify, and then I suspect the Supreme Court will do something stupid evil if the 11th Circuit eventually, finally, orders him to testify. The Supremes would reverse that, and won't make him do it at all.

So cut your losses and go with what you have now. Or get stalled into inaction for the foreseeable future.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Indict him, and when he cries say he had his chance to explain...
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Business Insider: Sen. Lindsey Graham said if Trump is prosecuted for mishandling classified information 'there will be riots in the streets'

Riots in the streets? That is wishful thinking. Probably just an uptick in random RW MAGA violence here and there.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

much ado wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:31 am Business Insider: Sen. Lindsey Graham said if Trump is prosecuted for mishandling classified information 'there will be riots in the streets'

Riots in the streets? That is wishful thinking. Probably just an uptick in random RW MAGA violence here and there.
I cannot wait to see when moar is revealed with Lindsey. What do they (the Republicans) have on him?
much ado

Post by much ado »

neonzx wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:54 am
much ado wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:31 am Business Insider: Sen. Lindsey Graham said if Trump is prosecuted for mishandling classified information 'there will be riots in the streets'

I cannot wait to see when moar is revealed with Lindsey. What do they (the Republicans) have on him?
Hmm... That suggests something. Lindsey's behavior is all about, and has been for some time, protecting Trump.

What does Trump have on him?

I wonder if the FBI now knows?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, someone tell Lindsey (and Business Insider) that Trump isn't being prosecuted for mishandling classified information.

He's being investigated for violation of the Espionage Act, and for stealing documents - classified or not - from the United States of America.

Write that shit down. :|
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “Current Politics”