Mississippi Anti-Abortion Supreme Court Case

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Mississippi Anti-Abortion Supreme Court Case

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-cal ... 7c83548d5b
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — With more than two dozen states poised to ban abortion if the U.S. Supreme Court gives them the OK next year, California clinics and their allies in the state Legislature on Wednesday revealed a plan to make the state a “sanctuary” for those seeking reproductive care, including possibly paying for travel, lodging and procedures for people from other states.

The California Future of Abortion Council, made up of more than 40 abortion providers and advocacy groups, released a list of 45 recommendations for the state to consider if the high court overturns Roe v. Wade — the 48-year-old decision that forbids states from outlawing abortion.

The recommendations are not just a liberal fantasy. Some of the state’s most important policymakers helped write them, including Toni Atkins, the San Diego Democrat who leads the state Senate and attended multiple meetings.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom started the group himself and in an interview last week with The Associated Press said some of the report’s details will be included in his budget proposal in January.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

xposted
Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights, draft opinion shows
"We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,"
Justice Alito writes in an initial majority draft circulated inside the court.

The Supreme Court has voted to strike down the landmark Roe v. Wade decision, according to an initial draft majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito circulated inside the court and obtained by POLITICO.

The draft opinion is a full-throated, unflinching repudiation of the 1973 decision which guaranteed federal constitutional protections of abortion rights and a subsequent 1992 decision – Planned Parenthood v. Casey – that largely maintained the right. “Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Alito writes.

“We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled,” he writes in the document, labeled as the “Opinion of the Court.” “It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives.”
:snippity:
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/0 ... n-00029473

The draft opinion: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000180 ... 4f98520000
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

That's nasty.
raison de arizona

Reading it now. It’s bad.
AF9C84F4-AC99-4133-882D-53C8AA892BD3.jpeg
AF9C84F4-AC99-4133-882D-53C8AA892BD3.jpeg (131.71 KiB) Viewed 438 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I doubt the story of this "draft opinion". The Supreme Court is Extremely secretive about its decision-making and heads would roll if a breath of an upcoming decision were leaked.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We've been bumped from second class citizens down to incubators. Not surprised but still pissed.

My stepdaughter told me last week she doesn't want to have children and I suggested she get her tubes tied instead of continuing the pills. I'm going to bring it up again.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Fortinbras wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:05 pm I doubt the story of this "draft opinion". The Supreme Court is Extremely secretive about its decision-making and heads would roll if a breath of an upcoming decision were leaked.
I’m with you. I want to see the official ruling.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

But, but, but...stare decisis. :confuzzled:

Also, :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

This better light a fire under women, young and old, to get out and vote and to also maybe riot in the streets.
Lani

Post by Lani »

SuzieC wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:21 pm This better light a fire under women, young and old, to get out and vote and to also maybe riot in the streets.
:torches:

Ever since Roe, when I had discussions about personal choice, I said that Roe was at risk. People laffed. But the efforts to dump Roe began as soon as the Supremes disclosed its ruling.

I'm in a bad mood, and I doubt it will go away. :mad:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I wept when I read this. I want to throw up.

I hope to dog this is a hoax.

It's time to join the underground. I don't say that lightly. I've thought about that for the past 2 years.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Next on the chopping block will be Griswold v. Connecticut.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:22 pm But, but, but...stare decisis. :confuzzled:

Also, :mad:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”