Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Mississippi Anti-Abortion Supreme Court Case

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Mississippi Anti-Abortion Supreme Court Case

Post by raison de arizona »

Susan Collins is leading the charge in the Senate to codify Roe v. Wade into law, said MSNBC this morning.

We're all doomed.

The other problem I see is that many states, AZ included, have laws on the books banning abortion. They are just waiting for R v. W to overturn, and suddenly abortion will be illegal in a score of states.

Dystopian nightmare, indeed.
Edit: Just flipped open the local paper to see this very issue.
Arizona anti-abortion laws, including from Territorial days, that could return if Roe v. Wade is reversed

Several anti-abortion laws that are on the books but not enforced in Arizona, including one from Territorial days, could return if Roe v. Wade is overturned.

A historic reversal of the 1973 court decision could come this year as the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to rule on a Mississippi law that bans abortions after the 15th week of pregnancy.

As pro-abortion rights and anti-abortion groups rallied in New York City, outside the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington, D.C., and elsewhere on Wednesday, the justices heard oral arguments on the issues behind the Mississippi case, Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization, and whether a total reversal was necessary.

Arizona's strictest anti-abortion laws, both old and new, are currently blocked by Roe v. Wade. The oldest, from 1901, requires mandatory prison time for abortion providers.

If the justices overturn Roe, Arizona would be one of the 26 states "certain or likely to ban abortion," according to the Washington, D.C.-based Guttmacher Institute, a nonprofit that supports reproductive rights.The nonprofit has published a map showing how a reversal could affect each state.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 827005002/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:resist:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona

I can't imagine it (Roe v. Wade codification) will ever stand a chance in the Senate as long as the filibuster stands as-is.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ironic that Mississippi has the highest infant mortality rate in the US, and yet, here we are. One would think that we would be more concerned about keeping the babies already born alive, but no.

I'm about a mile from the only clinic in the state and the protesters are out in such force it's just easier to take a different route than drive through the morons standing around with red tape on their mouths, or screaming through bullhorns. My friend owns one of the restaurants across the street and they have practically ruined his business. He added a beautiful open deck around 2 sides of the building a few years ago and then had to turn around less than a year later and close it all in due to the "sidewalk counselors" literally leaning over the railing into the faces of the diners.
filly

Post by filly »

Wasp spray is useful.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

filly wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm Wasp spray is useful.
But illegal unless they are breaking the law.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:46 pm
Er, I thought I saw a pest!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Reminds me of a scene from MASH where Hawkeye tells Frank to hold still then swats him with a rolled up newspaper. Frank asks, "Did you get it?" to which Hawkeye responds, "Get what?"
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Isn’t getting in the face of diners disturbing the peace?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:08 pm
Isn’t getting in the face of diners disturbing the peace?
Not under the current "non-enforcement" policy the police have for the protesters. Blocking the sidewalks, standing in traffic and using bullhorns isn't enforced either. The current laws won't be enforced unless and until there is some sort of current first amendment case settled in court. There is a brand new Homewood Suites 30' from the door to the clinic and they can't even keep the protesters off their property or pull down the signs they attach to the fence that separates the properties. The cops go ask them to move but they can't do anything if they refuse.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

But we can run over them, right?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

RVInit wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm But we can run over them, right?
I think that's only Oklahoma and Florida still. Not a joke.
filly

Post by filly »

I was in fear for my life!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

spiduh wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm
RVInit wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:17 pm But we can run over them, right?
I think that's only Oklahoma and Florida still. Not a joke.
Yeah, that was poor taste. I think I'm just numb at this point, but that's no excuse. You are right, it's not a joke. It's pretty darn sick at the least.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Black humor is all I have these days.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

:thumbsup:
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
raison de arizona

Trevor Noah breaks it down for Kavanaugh.

Did not all THREE of these latest justices not stand in front of the Senate and say that Roe v. Wade was settled law? Is there no accountability for lying to the U.S. Senate? Is that a thing? Impeach!
Lani

Post by Lani »

i was involved in women's rights since the early 1970's into the 1980's. At one point I had police protection. I can't cope with forced pregnancy the GOP is imposing, but I always knew that women would continue to be at risk.

And here we are.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: Let a woman enter a Planned Parenthood with an appearant pregnancy made up by a blowup cushion, let her leave a few hours later with said cushing deflated and ...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard yesterday or today on the news (Velshi, I think) that Coney=Barrett actually said that if the woman didn't want the baby after being forced to carry it, the state will take possession. I can't remember the exact words, but that was the gist of it.

There's a lot of appalling stuff on the news these days, but that left me gasping,
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That's all part of the plan. The 19 and counting, religion as government types can't pump them out fast enough to fill this country full of religious zealots. So, they can make anyone who gets pregnant have the baby and give it up for adoption. In swoops the religious adoption agencies - problem solved.

I predict that within a year of the complete obliteration of Roe v Wade we will not only see a million new religious adoption agencies pop up, but they start armies of religious zealots marching through the most disadvantaged parts of the country offering money to women to get inseminated and give the baby up for adoption. Of course, we all know what kind of families will be adopting all these babies.

You have to hand it to Republicans, they learned to play the long game and now they are poised for total control at the time they are least popular.
--Colin Kaepernick
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Yeah, this is a woman with a long history of connections to shady missionary associated 'adoption' agencies, so probably sees the world through the lens of needing a greater supply of vulnerable children for forced conversion.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”