Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Phoenix520
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve tried everything to get tiktoks to show up here, but it won’t work. I copy raisin’s post to the letter but he can and I can’t. Apologies.

This is a West Coast Swing competition - dance improvisation with a stranger. I thought these two were great.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRCCdGr6/
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance: :dance: :dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by RVInit »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: That was great!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

From Hubby:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Cross-platform from Billy Porter. :shock:

RVInit

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by RVInit »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
MsDaisy
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by MsDaisy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 am From Hubby:

Send Hubby a big thanks that was GREAT! I Love the dancing dog :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by Phoenix520 »

The corgi butt was cool too. 😂

But James Cordon and Billy Porter have me roflmao!! :rotflmao:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance: :dance: :dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/ ... urse-dance
Rhapsody Stiggers has been dancing since she was two, but the 20-year-old college junior has never taken a dance class quite as challenging as the one she’s in now.

She is one of 38 students at the Boston Conservatory at Berklee enrolled in the first for-credit college dance class taught by the Radio City Rockettes, the precision dance team famous for its annual high-kicking Christmas Spectacular show in New York, seen by more than 69 million people since 1933.

The class, taught by a current Rockette, focuses on their meticulously precise technique, based on tap, ballet and jazz, in which the dancers move and kick in perfect synchronicity. The course also teaches strength training, choreography and lessons that can be applied to pretty much any dance genre.

“What’s unique about this class is the level of technicality,” said Stiggers, originally from St Paul, Minnesota. She said she’s skilled in ballet, modern, jazz, salsa, west African and improvisation, but “no other style of dance really emphasizes the precision of every single body part”.

“Like the Rockettes, we have to know exactly where our eye is, or where they’re pointing, or where the fingers are pointing, or how extended they are. So in that sense it is more difficult than other styles that I have done in the past,” she said.

It’s one of the most popular dance classes this semester at the performing arts school founded in 1867. Slots filled up fast and though enrollment was originally capped at 30, there were 38 students ultimately allowed in, said Mila Thigpen, chair of dance at the conservatory.
I got to see them once in person. Awesome.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by Phoenix520 »

RV, I stumbled upon that dance category on TikTok a while back. There are some amazing dancers out there.

Like these girls. I can’t stop watching them. The music choice is perfect, too. This age group is under pressure. They’re from a dance studio in SoCal, and this is their latest competition.

RVInit

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by RVInit »

That was really cool, great dancing and I love the costume.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

:yeahthat: :clap:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cool! :dance:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

https://www.fodors.com/world/north-amer ... cs-of-hula
This Hawaiian Event Is the Olympics of Hula

Hula is celebrated for its cultural significance and captivating beauty. But in addition to being an important cultural practice as well as a source of storytelling, education, and entertainment, it’s also an activity that requires a great deal of athleticism.

And in the spring of each year, hundreds of dancers travel to Hilo, Hawai‘i, to compete in the Merrie Monarch Festival, the most prestigious hula competition in the world, sometimes referred to as the “Olympics of Hula.”

“In the same way that the Olympics hosts the world’s greatest athletes, Merrie Monarch hosts the world’s best hula dancers,” Kumu hula (hula teacher) Kamaka Kūkona says.

While the hula competition is televised, the preparation for it has always happened behind closed doors—until recently when one hula hālau (hula school) on Maui began inviting visitors to observe a practice session and witness what it takes to prepare for Merrie Monarch.

What Is the Merrie Monarch Festival?

What began in 1963 as an initiative intended to provide an economic boost through tourism—following the decline of the sugar cane industry and the destruction caused by a tsunami—has evolved into an impactful cultural event. The Merrie Monarch Festival is much more than a hula competition; it’s a week-long celebration that has contributed to the renaissance and perpetuation of the Hawaiian language and culture.

The joyful name is a nod to King David La‘amea Kalākaua, a fun-loving former king (a “Merrie Monarch”) of the Hawaiian Nation from 1874 to 1891 and an avid supporter of the arts. In 1886, Kalākaua marked his 50th birthday with a “Silver Jubilee,” a two-week-long event that included a parade and Hawaiian dancers and chanters. The celebration made a powerful statement; it was the first time these cultural practitioners had performed in public in many years.

Christian missionaries had previously attempted to suppress hula and other forms of Hawaiian cultural expression, and in 1830, Queen Ka‘ahumanu, a Christian convert, banned hula in public places. While some hula practitioners continued to practice and pass on their cultural knowledge (many in secret), missionaries and Christian converts continued to push for a legal ban on hula, which was eventually enacted in 1859. Hula—a cultural practice requiring a great deal of strength, skill, and discipline and carrying with it an oral history, ancestral knowledge, and language—was instead described in legal documentation as “a very great public evil” and “a common nuisance.” Sounds awfully familiar.

Today, the Merrie Monarch Festival sustains the resilient and celebratory spirit of Kalākaua’s Silver Jubilee, showcasing the best hula dancers and sharing Hawaiian culture, language, and traditions with the world. The popularity and increased global interest are evidence that “our culture and our hula are strong and thriving,” Kumu Kamaka says.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

From Hubby:

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by Slim Cognito »

Ooooooohhhh fun, fun, fun!!! I especially liked the clips from movies that weren't considered dance movies, like Encino Man and the Mask (FYI Carrey did his own singing and dancing in that movie and Brendan Fraser has a few good moves of his own.)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

I love this song. Hubby sent this.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Another Hubby entry.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap: :clap:

for both
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dance! Dance! Dance!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Beckman

Today in dance history.
[Archbishop Francis] Beckman began a campaign against swing music in 1938. He made headlines when he spoke before the National Council of Catholic Women in October and openly denounced it as "a degenerated musical system... turned loose to gnaw away the moral fiber of young people" which would lead one down a "primrose path to Hell."[4]
qbawl

Dance! Dance! Dance!

Post by qbawl »

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”