Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

USA v. Barrack, Grimes, etc.

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
somerset

Re: New York State Investigations of Trump and Related

Post by somerset »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:29 pm
As for this investigation being at the behest of the Biden administration (they haven't specifically said that, but I think it is implied), can such an investigation go from beginning to indictment in six months? If not, that means that the investigation was begun under the Trump administration. Six months seems like a rather short period of time for an investigation of this sort.
Much of the material in the indictment came from the Mueller investigation.
filly

Re: USA v. Barrack, Grimes, etc.

Post by filly »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:55 pm I hope he means that negatively.

I heard the former guy called the victim by some talking head. Maybe. But if the former guy were upset by this at all, it might be that he didn't get a cut.
So we know everything T**** does is transactional. I was surprised that yesterday no pundit raised the question "What was in it for Trump?". Since T**** was taking direction from Barrack as early as the campaign, one has to wonder what the quid pro quo here was. I'm guessing it was a series of quids and quos. We may just find out.
filly

Post by filly »

Oh, for completeness in this thread : Barrack bought Neverland Ranch! :think: I didn't know this until yesterday.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:29 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:02 pm
somerset wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:05 pm
[useful discussion of "process crimes" omitted]
I'm sure that there are cases when someone simply fails to file the proper form, or does it wrong, but is otherwise not engaging in a nefarious activity. I'm also sure that these cases don't rise to the level of prosecution.

I think that the poots are arguing that Barrack's alleged transgressions fall into that category and that he is being targeted simply because he has been a long-time vocal Trump supporter.

I don't for a minute believe that is true. He operated at a very high level and dealt with enormous sums of money, This is far more than a case of a misplaced comma on a form.
Not at all like "filing the wrong form."

@BarbMcQuade
This distinction is important. FARA focuses on failure to register as an agent. Section 951, with which Barrack was charged, prohibits acting under the direction and control of a foreign government, a far more serious crime, which is used against foreign spies.

@DavidLaufmanLaw
For the record, Tom Barrack was not charged with violating the Foreign Agents Registration Act; he was charged under 18 U.S.C. section 951 for acting as "an agent of a foreign government" -- a law typically used for espionage-like cases like Maria Butina
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

filly wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:47 pm Oh, for completeness in this thread : Barrack bought Neverland Ranch! :think: I didn't know this until yesterday.
According to Wikipedia, a former Jackson family friend, Ron Burkle purchased Neverland Ranch, now named Sycamore Valley Ranch, as a "Land bank investment". He paid $22M, a far cry from the Jackson estate's original asking price of $100M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland_Ranch

No mention of Barrack, but maybe no one has updated the page.

Did a little more research. Barrack's Colony Capital bought the mortgage in 2008, when Jackson defaulted. Colony finally sold it to Burkle.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/20/donald-t ... -arrested/
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Interesting thread at the link.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

bob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:48 pm
In Barrack's case, for example, the lobbying for UAE could be illegal, but lying to the FBI about it would be illegal.
So it's doublely illegal.
filly

Post by filly »

noblepa wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:25 pm
filly wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:47 pm Oh, for completeness in this thread : Barrack bought Neverland Ranch! :think: I didn't know this until yesterday.
According to Wikipedia, a former Jackson family friend, Ron Burkle purchased Neverland Ranch, now named Sycamore Valley Ranch, as a "Land bank investment". He paid $22M, a far cry from the Jackson estate's original asking price of $100M.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland_Ranch

No mention of Barrack, but maybe no one has updated the page.

Did a little more research. Barrack's Colony Capital bought the mortgage in 2008, when Jackson defaulted. Colony finally sold it to Burkle.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/07/20/donald-t ... -arrested/
So, the indictee bought Neverland Ranch?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

He got it for Matt Geatz's campaign.
:rotflmao:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:54 pm
bob wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:48 pm
In Barrack's case, for example, the lobbying for UAE could be illegal, but lying to the FBI about it would be illegal.
So it's doublely illegal.
Apologies, I meant legal/illegal, but illegal/also illegal works as well.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tom Barrack in November 2016 versus Tom Barrack in December 2017.

https://documentcloud.org/documents/676 ... 5/a2047249
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The detention hearing for Trump inaugural chair Tom Barrack and co-defendant Matthew Grimes has been bumped up to… today.

It was previously scheduled for Monday.
Quote Tweet
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Well this is an interesting development. I suppose this means they've come to terms?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

somerset

Post by somerset »

filly wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:18 pm
Barrack’s team says he is trying to get to New York on Monday for arraignment in EDNY and they wanted monitoring to start then.
Right. Because everyone knows you can't flee the country over the weekend...
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

$250,000,000 bail for Barrack.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

So... does he flee the country immediately, or does he wait until closer to the trial?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Will someone of authority accompany him back to NY so his plane doesn't take a detour?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

According to a popehat thread, he put up only $5 million in cash.
somerset

Post by somerset »

chancery wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:18 pm According to a popehat thread, he put up only $5 million in cash.
And some property and securities worth ~$21 million

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/07/2 ... sed-500663
Barrack stepped down as Colony Capital's CEO last year and as executive chairman of the firm in April. However, Colony Capital's Chief Investment Officer Jonathan Grunzweig agreed to pledge his home as part of the bail package, as did Barrack's ex-wife Rachelle and his son Thomas Barrack III.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/trump-a ... anged.html
The order requires the release bond — which is among the highest ever set in the world — to be secured by $5 million cash, another $21.23 million in securities and Barrack’s home in California.
Little has been mentioned about his 27 year old assistant Matthew Grimes. His bail was set at $5 million, which has also been paid. I'm wondering how much of this was self-funded, if Barrack's company paid it, and/or if he's already flipped.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Who is up to creating a poll. I bet he flies away somewhere.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The important thing is to remind everyone that the rich get a completely different type of justice than the rest of us do. Can't let people forget that. :blackeye:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I am assuming he did not go through a regular old bail bond place, but could you imagine what would happen if he skipped out on a 10% down bail like that? A cut of that 200M will buy you some VERY motivated private entities.

That being said, I do not think he will bother fleeing. He is out, and I would be surprised if there was any real chance of him seeing the inside of a cell again.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:38 pm The important thing is to remind everyone that the rich get a completely different type of justice than the rest of us do. Can't let people forget that. :blackeye:
I don't know if we've posted about it here, but some of the folks I follow on Twitter have tweeted about bail reform. It's basically unconscionable to hold poor people in jail for months after being arrested for non-violent crimes because they can't afford bail. They lose jobs, can't support their families, etc. while being held awaiting trial.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”