1811 Slave Revolt - An Alternative Perspective

John Thomas8

1811 Slave Revolt - An Alternative Perspective

Post by John Thomas8 »

Not a subject taught in many US schools, this is an interesting look at an obscure but important event in our history:

John Thomas8

Re: 1811 Slave Revolt - An Alternative Perspective

Post by John Thomas8 »

More details:

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was today years old when I heard of this. But I just heard of the Tulsa Massacre a couple of years ago.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am I was today years old when I heard of this. But I just heard of the Tulsa Massacre a couple of years ago.
Same here, exactly. I learned of the Tulsa Massacre after watching The Watchmen on HBO.

It seems that students in Texas will be getting the same warped education I got from spending most of my school years in Floriduh. As a newly graduated senior high school student I didn't have a single hero that was a female, largely because I was only taught about the accomplishments of white men. I learned about lots of admirable and accomplished women and minorities later in life, and it grieves me to think there will be who knows how many more generations who are only taught about the accomplishments of white males. This is exactly how they keep their stranglehold on amassing most of the wealth and recognition. My god, I thought the backlash against Barack Obama was disgusting, but they are really topping themselves with the CRT thing. And the voter suppression tactics have become quite fine honed and sophisticated compared to what they did in 2010, which was horrifying enough.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am I was today years old when I heard of this. But I just heard of the Tulsa Massacre a couple of years ago.
I remember hearing of this one in school in the early 60's, but it would have been about 1 sentence in a paragraph describing other 'unrest' in the context of probably John Brown's Rebellion. Tulsa I heard of about 35 or 30 years ago, I reckon. I never heard of the Wilmington Coup until last week.

In the video they spend a great deal of time discussing what might have happened if the rebellion had succeeded for a length of time. Most of their hypothicating was reasonable, but I think they left out actual national and world events that would have had an impact.

First of all, they called New Orleans a frontier town because it was a long way from Atlanta and there wasn't much in between. Well, distance from Atlanta isn't the point. New Orleans was a rich international trade port even then.

But what they really missed, in my opinion, is that event happened in 1811 - doesn't anybody remember what the next year is remembered for?

I ask you, if there was a Republic of New Orleans being run by former slaves, arch enemy of the USA, in desperate need to maintain (and expand!) their borders, promote other rebellions across the south and support the refugees that were pouring, do you really think the British would have waited until 1814 to try to get a toehold - even if they were still tied down in Europe? They certainly never hesitated to recruit First Nations to fight the Americans, surely they would have jumped at the chance to take advantage of the former slaves that were in desparate need of military 'regulation'. That would have been more impactful that burning the White House and a few town halls in Connecticut (where my greatX6 grandfather's birth records were destroyed).
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”