Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Neon Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:40 pm I didn't have a problem with her speaking Hungarian; I have a problem with her daughter being anti-immigrant.
And I have a few relatives, too, who are anti-immigrant when their own parent(s) were immigrants. I can't understand it.

Coming improperly over the border or overstaying a work or visitor visa is not a criminal offense. (reentry after a deportation is)

/sidebar (yes, I'm turning this into an immigration discussion)

https://sheriffleefl.org/how_do_i/learn ... &id=927165

Elbert, he's been sitting in jail since August cause he hooked up with a crazy woman who is pill addict. He was warned by elders from Brazil to stay away from her (cause she has a known history), but boys being boys...
I know him, I've hung out with him at gatherings. I helped him get his car out of impound when he got arrested for driving w/no license (he should have got a DUI) (no, I didn't pay, I just helped him navigate the system-- expired registration, etc.).

His bail is $10k. But there is also an immigration hold on his docket. So when the state is done with him, it's game over.

People make mistakes. When they come to this country, they need to leave their vices behind. He fell right back into old habits (including cocaine). It's sad.

But that's such a small, small minority. Most do walk straight.

I don't fault Elbert (or any of the other many many names I personally know who could not make it work). There is that saying, "You can't save everyone" -- it's sadly true.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Oh good grief.

Completed an eviction today. Tenants are gone but they stole the washer and dryer from that townhouse. :roll:

Not only screw me on the rent, but steal my stuff, too also? :brickwallsmall:

This is why I don't like renting to Americans. My immigrant tenants are zero-drama.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:13 pm Oh good grief.

Completed an eviction today. Tenants are gone but they stole the washer and dryer from that townhouse. :roll:

Not only screw me on the rent, but steal my stuff, too also? :brickwallsmall:

This is why I don't like renting to Americans. My immigrant tenants are zero-drama.
I get all tense at just the idea of owning rental property. Too much potential drama, too much potential downside, too much potential work.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

So talking with an longtime friend (like, back from when he was in highschool -I'm older by 10).

Anyway, he is planning to go on an 8 day solo hike off-grid (not through a program or other organized thing-- just on his own). He will be out of cell service range and very much off-grid. He said he hopes he runs into nobody while he is out there. He wants that peace, which I applaud... getting away and clearing his mind, body, and soul is a good thing. And he's not a F-up -- he's co-founder and President of a startup that has lured $10s of millions in venture capital -- but it's still in that stage and he has a lot of pressure on him. He's not an idiot. He's an attorney (Neon even co-signed one of his law school student loans).

He has a wife and two young children under age 10 -- that marriage is all good, too.

I want him to take an emergency transponder beacon (they use SAT tech and GPS) as a contingency. They are cheap to rent. He doesn't want to do that -- or he hasn't fully digested why I am asking.

What do I say to him to convince him to take a small device with him so if something happens, he just needs to push a button?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Have him watch 127 Hours.
Image Image Image Image
somerset

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:38 pm So talking with an longtime friend (like, back from when he was in highschool -I'm older by 10).

Anyway, he is planning to go on an 8 day solo hike off-grid (not through a program or other organized thing-- just on his own). He will be out of cell service range and very much off-grid. He said he hopes he runs into nobody while he is out there. He wants that peace, which I applaud... getting away and clearing his mind, body, and soul is a good thing. And he's not a F-up -- he's co-founder and President of a startup that has lured $10s of millions in venture capital -- but it's still in that stage and he has a lot of pressure on him. He's not an idiot. He's an attorney (Neon even co-signed one of his law school student loans).

He has a wife and two young children under age 10 -- that marriage is all good, too.

I want him to take an emergency transponder beacon (they use SAT tech and GPS) as a contingency. They are cheap to rent. He doesn't want to do that -- or he hasn't fully digested why I am asking.

What do I say to him to convince him to take a small device with him so if something happens, he just needs to push a button?
Convince his wife, then let her convince him.
Jim

Post by Jim »

google "solo hikers keep going missing" and pick out one to give to his wife.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

somerset wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:43 pm Convince his wife, then let her convince him.
That would be my first go-to. However, it's "complicated". I don't know his wife.
somerset

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:05 pm
somerset wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:43 pm Convince his wife, then let her convince him.
That would be my first go-to. However, it's "complicated". I don't know his wife.
I see.

Then maybe a slight variation on Jim's suggestion, showing him a google hit list on, "missing hiker's remains found"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/30/world/es ... index.html
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Flip it... with a wife and two young children, I'd want to be able to be contacted in case something happened to them.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:41 pm Flip it... with a wife and two young children, I'd want to be able to be contacted in case something happened to them.
I agree. And there are reasons he might take that to heart.

The guy is way smarter than me but sometimes I rolleyes. He got burned bad by his own dad so that might be a path. He won't let anything happen to his kids.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I go on 4-day solo hikes off-grid all the time, like every other weekend. It's not that dangerous if you know what you are doing. I carry a GPS because I spend a lot of time off-trail, but no Spot or cellphone. I don't want the distraction. If you are on (or near) a well-travelled trail, help is easy to obtain,if you need it, but you should be self-contained. The most dangerous segment is probably the drive to the trailhead and back home. But you gotta prepared and know what you're doing, and when to bail and turn around. It's a judgement call.

Lately all the PCT'ers have been saying "happy trails" but that sounds kinda corny, like some kinda old cowboy song.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

busterbunker wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:40 pm I go on 4-day solo hikes off-grid all the time, like every other weekend. It's not that dangerous if you know what you are doing. I carry a GPS because I spend a lot of time off-trail, but no Spot or cellphone. I don't want the distraction.
He is taking a compass (old school) and no GPS. I respect what he is doing, but I want him to prepare for contingencies.

He knows this stuff... I was also one of his references on his security clearance application when he decided to play Jack Ryan in the middle east (he sorta lied, said it was for the DoD, not CIA... ) and got hurt by an IED.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hidden Content
Attachments
2ev23ds.jpg
2ev23ds.jpg (230.98 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My brother and his best friend decided to go off-grid in upper New York state after they dropped out of high school. They got about a half mile from their car and a horde of black flies descended on them. Chased them all the way back to the car and they spent some time killing the ones that got in the car.

That was the end of off-grid. ;)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:32 am My brother and his best friend decided to go off-grid in upper New York state after they dropped out of high school. They got about a half mile from their car and a horde of black flies descended on them. Chased them all the way back to the car and they spent some time killing the ones that got in the car.

That was the end of off-grid. ;)
LOL. But my friend is not a HS dropout trying to find himself. He says he hasn't had a "vacation" since 2014 -- which is probably not the case, but rather he means a personal vacation (just him).

He's getting a bit testy in his old age. I need to make a trip to California.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hiking friend finished today, no problems.
Except he cut his trip short by 1 day because "6 nights was enough." :lol:
Hidden Content
Attachments
Screenshot_20210824-143331-230.jpg
Screenshot_20210824-143331-230.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

*sigh* So I went to watch football yesterday at a bar/grill. They built outside a large covered patio ('cause Covid) complete with pool tables, big fans and 10 flat screens. I walked cause I like to walk -- it's almost 2 miles.

On the walk home, I tripped face-first into a tree. Banged myself good. Blood everywhere -- shirt and shorts. I made it home without assistance.

I busted my eye glasses. My backups went overboard into the gulf a couple years ago. So now I can't see let alone drive.

Imma going to get someone to take me to a 1-hour optical place. Oh well, I was overdue for an exam anyway.

This is my reward for trying to be healthy. :? :think:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Oh noes!! Take care of your poor, banged up self!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This was dog's way of telling you to get new glasses. Hope you feel better soon! :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Those darn trees can sneak up on you. Absolute devils they are.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am Those darn trees can sneak up on you. Absolute devils they are.
Well, the $1 bloody Marys may have contributed. :oopsy: Sunday church after all.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:25 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:19 am Those darn trees can sneak up on you. Absolute devils they are.
Well, the $1 bloody Marys may have contributed. :oopsy: Sunday church after all.
At least you were properly hydrated! Very important during these times.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Ouch1 Feel better, and see better, soon!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Introduce Yourself”