ICE Immigration Custom Enforcement

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

ICE Immigration Custom Enforcement

Post by RTH10260 »

Lawsuit: ICE detained US citizen for a week in Tacoma

By GENE JOHNSON
June 12, 2021

SEATTLE (AP) — A naturalized U.S. citizen from Mexico is suing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, saying the agency held him in detention for a week even though he had his passport with him and repeatedly insisted he was an American.

The Northwest Immigrant Rights Project filed the lawsuit Friday in U.S. District Court on behalf of Everett resident Carlos Rios, identified as a native of Mexicali, Mexico, who has been in the U.S. since the 1980s and became a citizen in 2000.

“I cannot understand why I was detained and why no one listened to me,” Rios said in a news release issued by the immigrant rights group. “I had my U.S. passport with me when I was detained, and I told this to the immigration officers many times. I hope that this lawsuit can make a difference to ensure that others are not subjected to such terrible, unlawful treatment by U.S. immigration officials.”

https://apnews.com/article/government-a ... e803369f17
RTH10260

Re: ICE iImmigration Ciustom Enforcement

Post by RTH10260 »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I note this occurred in 2019. What administration was running things at that time?

I witness a lot of immigration enforcement action. This is a one-off mistake.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That story sucks, but I hate to say that I've seen a lot worse. He's (unfortunately) lucky to have gotten sprung after only a week. What a system!

In other news, the title of this topic is causing me to stroke out.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

covfefe wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:40 amIn other news, the title of this topic is causing me to stroke out.
:yeahthat:
It causes actual physical pain, just behind my right eye.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: ICE Immigration Custom Enforcement

Post by Foggy »

Fixed it ....
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:10 pmFixed it ....
Thanks !

(was typing on my tablet into that very small title page, I did not catch the typos, and one assumes my fingers stumbled on the virtual keyboard)

ETA. I remember I c&p'd the title in all lower case and made a feeble attempt to upper case the first character in the words :doh:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:14 pm
Thanks !

(was typing on my tablet into that very small title page, I did not catch the typos, and one assumes my fingers stumbled on the virtual keyboard)

ETA. I remember I c&p'd the title in all lower case and made a feeble attempt to upper case the first character in the words :doh:
Yeah, my kids can write, illustrate and publish The Great American Graphic Novel on their i-phone and I pat myself on the back if I can manage to copy a link.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
somerset

Post by somerset »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 am I note this occurred in 2019. What administration was running things at that time?

This was the reason Mrs Somerset and I did not travel during the "limbo" time* between her going out of status and getting her green card. We were very worried that an overzealous CBP or TSA agent would decide she's overstayed her visa, take her into custody and possibly have her removed from the country before everything could get sorted out.

On the opposite note - Youngest Daughter Somerset just arrived in the US after getting her PR approved in the Philippines. She flew from CEB to MNL, and on to SFO on her own (she had a great adventure. Mrs Somerset was a nervous wreck). She came through immigration incredibly fast, especially since she was taken into secondary inspection for a quick conversation. That conversation essentially consisted of "Welcome to the United States." Things are getting better :biggrin:

*tl;dr - This almost always happens during a "change in status" immigration, where the applicant enters the US on a valid tourist/business visa (non-immigrant intent), then "changes their mind" and applies for immigrant status/permanent residency. You can’t apply for a change in status until you’ve been in the US for 90 days and entry on a B1-B2 tourist/business visa typically gives you 180 days, so there's just 90 days where the application is pending and the applicant is still in status. It’s very rare that a PR application is finished in just 90 days, so almost all applicants go out of status before they get their green card. The time between going out of status and getting new immigrant status is what I'm referring to as "limbo" time, where the gray area of the law gives anti-immigrant LE cover to be evil.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Thanks!
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

somerset wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:07 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:30 am I note this occurred in 2019. What administration was running things at that time?

This was the reason Mrs Somerset and I did not travel during the "limbo" time* between her going out of status and getting her green card. We were very worried that an overzealous CBP or TSA agent would decide she's overstayed her visa, take her into custody and possibly have her removed from the country before everything could get sorted out. ...

The time between going out of status and getting new immigrant status is what I'm referring to as "limbo" time, where the gray area of the law gives anti-immigrant LE cover to be evil.
Living in South Florida gave me a big education. I'd say around 30% of those I hang with are immigrants and many are not technically legal. No, they are not bringing in the drugs, nor are they shooting your women nor raping your kids. They are decent people and I'm so sick of RW politicians painting them otherwise.
raison de arizona

neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 pm Living in South Florida gave me a big education. I'd say around 30% of those I hang with are immigrants and many are not technically legal. No, they are not bringing in the drugs, nor are they shooting your women nor raping your kids. They are decent people and I'm so sick of RW politicians painting them otherwise.
Similar growing up in AZ. Knew many not legal friends and their families. One thing they did NOT do was break the law! The very last thing they wanted to do was get picked up on some broken taillight charge or other nonsense and deported, much less a serious charge. They just wanted to do their thing, provide for their families (both in and outside the US), and stay under the radar.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

TRO issued for lifting TItle 42.

Here is a nice thread dissecting wtf happened: https://twitter.com/ReichlinMelnick/sta ... 6856552453
Aaron Reichlin-Melnick @ReichlinMelnick wrote: New! Without giving the government a real opportunity to respond to Arizona's preliminary injunction request to block Title 42 from ending, Judge Summerhays says he thinks the Title 42 termination is unlawful and grants a TRO blocking DHS from beginning to transition away.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:08 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 pm Living in South Florida gave me a big education. I'd say around 30% of those I hang with are immigrants and many are not technically legal. No, they are not bringing in the drugs, nor are they shooting your women nor raping your kids. They are decent people and I'm so sick of RW politicians painting them otherwise.
Similar growing up in AZ. Knew many not legal friends and their families. One thing they did NOT do was break the law! The very last thing they wanted to do was get picked up on some broken taillight charge or other nonsense and deported, much less a serious charge. They just wanted to do their thing, provide for their families (both in and outside the US), and stay under the radar.
:yeahthat: in spades.

I know for a fact that there were several kids in my class (in the late 50's, early 60's) that were undocumented. It was hard to make friends with them because they kept to themselves so much and avoided anything that might get them sprung. One guy was a pretty good baseball player and I tried really hard to get him onto my Little League team, but he just wouldn't do it.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

I don't even get how this whole thing works. All I hear from the Rs is how Covid is over and all Covid restrictions need to be lifted. Except Title 42. When we're talking about Title 42, then the Covid emergency is still going on and it needs to be kept in place. How does that work?

(I know how it works.) ;)
raison de arizona

Unionize Your Workplace @okarounos wrote: An ex-client had his case dismissed because the prosecutors failed to submit evidence of the charges. Just got an email from him immigration attorney that the immigration court is using the charges against him, even though the case WAS DISMISSED.

In what world is that fair?
Diego J. Aranda Teixeira @DiegoATLAW wrote: Ah I see! Yes this can happen

It was written into the law that way and baked into it further by the accretion of precedent

Immigration court is where justice goes to die
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:10 pm
Diego J. Aranda Teixeira @DiegoATLAW wrote: Ah I see! Yes this can happen

It was written into the law that way and baked into it further by the accretion of precedent

Immigration court is where justice goes to die
Conservatives really seem to love legal contexts where innocence is not a defense.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I've mentioned before that I know many who are not documented. By and large, they keep a low profile. If they get nabbed for anything that is a felony level charge, good chance immigration is going to come knocking even if the state/local prosecutors drop the charge. They don't want to be in NCIC, which is what happens on a felony charge.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Well that’s pretty horrifying.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Everyone remember when Governor Hot Wheels sent the Texas National Guard to the border & immediately started having issues with the National Butterfly Center?

Well Marianna got one of them in some deep trouble. Seems a guardsman abandoned his weapon & truck, and she took the gun.

The anti-immigrant folks want her locked up, but it looks like she took a lot of precautions & was in contact with authorities the whole time.

The tweets aren’t threaded, you’ll have to visit her Twitter acct to get the whole thing, but here’s how it starts…

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

She mentions them trespassing. Should she stand her ground?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”