Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
Dave from down under

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

Post by Dave from down under »

When a new “celebrity” killer comes along..

They are hoping for one that would look better in the nude..
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:00 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:55 pm
LM K wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:44 pm Donations aren't going to go as far as donors assume. The defense lawyers hired the jury consultant that worked on OJ Simpson's murder trial. That consultant isn't cheap. ...
Indeed. In this interesting post-trial podcast interview, attorney Mark Richards says it was six figures.
Money well spent from the defense perspective.
I'm not sure it was that heavy of a lift. This jury came from the same jury pool that formed the grand jury that declined to charge the officer that clearly, on video, shot a man in the back seven times. A man that clearly was not a danger to that officer or anyone else.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

RVInit wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:29 am
Maybenaut wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:00 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:55 pm

Indeed. In this interesting post-trial podcast interview, attorney Mark Richards says it was six figures.
Money well spent from the defense perspective.
I'm not sure it was that heavy of a lift. This jury came from the same jury pool that formed the grand jury that declined to charge the officer that clearly, on video, shot a man in the back seven times. A man that clearly was not a danger to that officer or anyone else.
Was a grand jury involved in that decision? I had thought it was the County DA Michael Gravely's decision after investigation.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Oops. I guess yeah, it was a prosecutor that declined to press those charges. Still, I would have been surprised if you can't find a single rwnj on a jury in Kenosha, WI. And that is all it takes.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I listened to about half of that long interview as I was cleaning data on a spreadsheet. It is interesting to hear the (carefully constructed) perspective portrayed in more than just sound bites. The prevalence, frequency, and number of types of logical fallacies as well as straight up misinformation was striking. It would make a great class project to break that video down into 10 minutes segments and assign to groups of two or three in a Critical Thinking course with the objective to identify the various logical fallacies. The “ten minute” parsing size is simply because there are so many.

Once one takes away all the logical missteps and looks at the remaining it would be a short collection of statements.

andersweinstein wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:46 pm
LM K wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:58 pm One of the reasons Rittenhouse received "compassionate leave" is said to be student reactions after he claimed to be an ASU student. Rittenhouse won't be safe on any college campus for some time. While I believe he should be able to safely go to traditional classes, he simply can't, unless he hires private security.
Rittenhouse has had a private security detail for some time. That's got to be a major expense. No idea if he's planning to take his bodyguards to college.

In some of his appearances he given thanks to "TC", the African American head of his security detail, T.C. Willis, of the Knoxville-based executive protection agency, The Kajor Group. Willis was in the courtroom every day and could occasionally be seen on camera sitting behind the family. He's since given a couple of interviews with permission. I found this one overlong, but thought parts give an interesting perspective.

andersweinstein

Danraft wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:23 am I listened to about half of that long interview as I was cleaning data on a spreadsheet. It is interesting to hear the (carefully constructed) perspective portrayed in more than just sound bites. The prevalence, frequency, and number of types of logical fallacies as well as straight up misinformation was striking. It would make a great class project to break that video down into 10 minutes segments and assign to groups of two or three in a Critical Thinking course with the objective to identify the various logical fallacies. The “ten minute” parsing size is simply because there are so many.

Once one takes away all the logical missteps and looks at the remaining it would be a short collection of statements.
I realize TC is not going to dis the employer who pays his salary, so there's an element of PR concern behind everything he says. Still, I'd be interested in some indication of what "straight up misinformation" you found in it.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A portrait of two high school dropouts.
14:59...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:cantlook:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So, annoying the libs, huh? Always much better in your head than in reality.

What the hell is up with his eyebrows.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Howdy Doody must have been the father.

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

andersweinstein wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:10 pm
LM K wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:57 pm
From Fox News on Dec 3.
Rittenhouse claims he was granted compassionate withdrawal by ASU staff after the campus erupted in protest against his planned attendance. Protestors referred to Rittenhouse as a "racist murderer"
OK, that's a source. But notice it's a cagey statement: it just says "after", not "because". It would not surprise me if a source like Fox might distort things here. They have an interest in promoting the narrative that leftist protestors drove him to withdraw.
I absolutely agree.
In the Ashleigh Banfield interview he just said it was because of the stress of the trial. Hancock said the withdrawal was recommended by his professors.

The first call I can find for him to be booted appeared online on Nov 26 (below) though it didn't seem to make news stories until Nov 29 and the rally it called for was for Dec 1. The ASU statement that he was no longer enrolled was also reported on Nov 29: https://www.yahoo.com/now/kyle-rittenho ... 16001.html. Seems a tight timeline for processing a withdrawal as a *response* to the protests.

ETA: I see now the Banfield interview mentioning the withdrawal aired Nov 23, so before this call for protest.
Transcript here: https://www.newsnationnow.com/banfield/ ... ranscript/

Please reread what I wrote. Protests weren't called for until after Rittenhouse was acquitted. ASU students got pretty intense the minute that Rittenhouse said he was a student in the ASU nursing program. Why would students call to protest Rittenhouse's possible attendance at ASU before he was acquitted?

Rittenhouse was extremely chummy with Fox. Fox is unclear in the referenced paragraph. It's possible Fox is just stirring the pot. It's possible they have info not shared with other sources.

I've read at multiple sources that Rittenhouse's professors recommended that he request compassionate leave. I believe that that is true. But there's no reason to believe that the stress of trial was the only concern raised by his professors.

Again, Rittenhouse should be able to safely attend classes. If he was my student, I would encourage him to think about his personal safety. He has the right to attend, and I would support his right to attend. But no campus can guarantee anyone's safety 24/7.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Suranis wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:15 pm So, annoying the libs, huh? Always much better in your head than in reality.

What the hell is up with his eyebrows.
I think he tried to clean them up for his media rounds and didn't know what he was doing. His eyebrows were better at trial.

Eyebrow grooming is more difficult than many realize. :batting:
raison de arizona

“The hero of Kenosha.” Indeed.
E956CAAB-4DA6-4551-91AF-31B0130C379A.png
E956CAAB-4DA6-4551-91AF-31B0130C379A.png (508.26 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
https://www.instagram.com/loudmajority/p/CXuilnvl1dV/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Baidn

Post by Baidn »

Good video on this if anyones interested or wants a source to share with others.

"...don't teach a man to fish. He's a grown man and fishings not that hard." Ron Swanson the worlds only good libertarian
andersweinstein

Kyle's friend Dominick Black, who furnished his gun, was charged with two felony counts of providing a dangerous weapon to someone under 18 which caused a death. With the "caused a death" modifier he faced up to 6 years on each, though there was a pending defense motion arguing the law didn't permit multiple counts for a single act of providing. It was in the court of the same judge, Schroeder, who dismissed the Rittenhouse gun charge, and was expected to dismiss the charge. However, ADA Binger had threatened to appeal, which could tie up Black's life for a year or more.

Tonight, insider Kevin Mathewson -- he's the former Kenosha alderman who posted the Facebook event calling up the "Kenosha Guard" to come out and protect the city -- announced on a youtube livestream that a signed plea agreement has been submitted in the case (the video showed a copy he obtained). Black will plead guilty to a non-criminal citation violation of a county ordinance for contributing to delinquincy of a minor and pay a $2000 fine. The felony charges will be dropped. So no jail, no criminal record for Black.

It still has to be approved by the judge, but it has been signed by ADA Binger.
LM K

Post by LM K »

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
andersweinstein

andersweinstein wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:08 pm Tonight, insider Kevin Mathewson ... that a signed plea agreement has been submitted in the case (the video showed a copy he obtained).
Here's the plea agreement in the Black case. "Kenosha County Eye" is Mathewson's website as an "independent journalist".

BTW Black was NOT charged in WI for the straw purchase of the firearm. My understanding is that the purchase did not clearly violate WI law but that he could potentially still be charged under federal law for that.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Interpretation: The prosecutor doesn't want to risk another loss in court.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Dominic Black provided pretty good testimony against Rittenhouse during the trial. I am not surprised the DA signed off on a plea deal. I don't think the prosecutor meant for Black to get away with his crime completely, but I think he was more than likely leaning toward something fairly light, given Black's testimony against Rittenhouse.

For what it's worth. Reading between the lines of Black's testimony, he is no longer dating Rittenhouse's sister and he is no longer friends with Rittenhouse.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I have seen a couple of poots on line drinking this stuff. Might be a fine Rye but that is not why they are buying it and posting about it. AFAIK the whiskey company has nothing to do with Kyle.
It's a very good rye, and especially for the price. I just finished my bottle of it yesterday. Sorry it shares a name with you-know-who.

It's an old, old brand, harking back to the days when they grew rye in Pennsylvania.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

LM K wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:36 am :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
Given the judge’s ruling in the Rittenhouse case, this is a pretty good outcome for the government. I think the judge was wrong in his interpretation of the statute, and there’s a good chance that the government would succeed on appeal. But I can see them not wanting to take the risk.

Making a straw purchase is a violation of federal law, both for the straw purchaser and the ultimate purchaser, whether the person for whom the gun was purchased was legally authorized to posses it or not. I wonder if the feds will charge Black or Rittenhouse.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Lani

Post by Lani »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:38 pm :snippity:
Making a straw purchase is a violation of federal law, both for the straw purchaser and the ultimate purchaser, whether the person for whom the gun was purchased was legally authorized to posses it or not. I wonder if the feds will charge Black or Rittenhouse.
:pray: :pray: :pray:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
andersweinstein

RVInit wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm Reading between the lines of Black's testimony, he is no longer dating Rittenhouse's sister and he is no longer friends with Rittenhouse.
According to some pro-Kyle youtubers, Black's bail conditions prohibit him from contact with Rittenhouse. That could be one more reason (as if more was needed) for him to want to put this case behind him.

I know right-wing podcaster Tim Pool vilified Black for betraying his friend by testifying for the prosecution. It would be interesting to know what Rittenhouse himself thinks. The idea seems absurd to me under Black's circumstances (charges carrying up to 12 years). Also, I didn't think Black's testimony was specially damaging to Rittenhouse at all.

If you're interested, this video zeroes in on one moment where it looks like Black surprised Binger by failing to testify that Rittenhouse pointed his gun along with others in their group towards figures they were chasing out of hiding in a vacant lot. Black says instead that he didn't observe Rittenhouse at the time. This commenter may be reading way too much into one exchange, but it is interesting. I hadn't noticed it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I watched the actual testimony as it was presented to the jury, not outtakes and commentary from Rittenhouse supporters.

That said, his testimony in general was helpful to the prosecutor, and that is why the prosecutor put him on. It's pretty rare that when you are putting on a witness that was deeply involved with a defendant that every single solitary thing that witness says is going to be helpful to your side. But the prosecution established quite a bit with this witness, although obviously their whole case was lost on this particular jury.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Kyle Rittenhouse seeks return of gun, says he wants it destroyed

KENOSHA — Kyle Rittenhouse is trying to get the gun back.

A spokesperson for the teenager, who turned 19 earlier this month, says the intention is still to destroy the rifle with which Rittenhouse shot three people, killing two, along Sheridan Road during unrest in Kenosha on Aug. 25, 2020. A court document filed in Kenosha County this week attests that his intent is to have the firearm destroyed.

A motion filed Wednesday by Mark Richards, Rittenhouse’s lead defense attorney, asks for the AR-15-style rifle to be returned to Rittenhouse. A hearing is now scheduled for Jan. 28 in front of Judge Bruce Schroeder.

The spokesperson for Rittenhouse, Dave Hancock, previously told a reporter, “There’s nothing to celebrate about that weapon; there isn’t. Kyle has no interest and no want to recover that weapon, and absolutely no interest to sell it or anything.”
:snippity:
https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/local/ ... 47211.html

Return to “Other weirdos”