As the N.R.A. continues to implode...

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: As the N.R.A. continues to implode...

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... uxbndlbing
NRA sued for allegedly violating campaign finance laws

Gun control advocacy group Giffords sued the National Rifle Association on Tuesday for allegedly violating campaign finance laws since 2014.

The powerful gun lobby made as much as $35 million in "unlawful" and "unreported in-kind campaign contributions" to seven federal candidates, including candidates for U.S. Senate in 2014, 2016, and 2018, and Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign, according to the allegations.

The lawsuit seeks several forms of relief, including an order preventing the NRA from violating the Federal Election Campaign Act in future, and a penalty equal to the amount of money allegedly spent unlawfully, which the NRA would pay to the U.S. treasury - potentially as much as $35 million.
:popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

We spoke directly to Wayne LaPierre at the NRA Convention and thanked him for all his thoughts and prayers.
Cyrus Breckenridge

Post by Cyrus Breckenridge »

Kendra wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:44 am
We spoke directly to Wayne LaPierre at the NRA Convention and thanked him for all his thoughts and prayers.
Good grief! I don’t suppose that is satirical, is it?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Cyrus Breckenridge wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:47 pm
Kendra wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:44 am
► Show Spoiler
Good grief! I don’t suppose that is satirical, is it?
Yes, the NRA and LaPierre got punked. None of them were too sure what was going on.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Beautiful!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very little, hesitant applause.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:28 pm Very little, hesitant applause.
Yes, but I also noticed the "crowd" was sparse.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

La Pierre looked like he smelled a skunk after a minute. :lol: I think he got it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/good-lia ... d2d025b3a9
National Rifle Association CEO Wayne LaPierre was trolled right to his face at the gun group’s convention in Houston as some of his biggest supporters looked on.

Not everyone caught what was happening in the stunt by the Good Liars, known as progressive pranksters Jason Selvig and Davram Stiefler.

Selvig got a speaking slot at the NRA members meeting on Saturday, where members can speak for and against various issues facing the lobbying group. At first, Selvig appeared to launch into a defense of LaPierre, whose leadership has been plagued by spending scandals.

It soon got very uncomfortable for LaPierre, as Selvig rattled off a lengthy list of mass shootings, then mockingly praised him for offering “thoughts and prayers” for each.

Not everyone caught the sarcasm. When Selvig finished speaking, many in the room applauded:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Grooming? Don't see no grooming here.

Love the his and hers baby skulls. Heart warming.

Safety first. Ships with a single round mag!

Gunmaker Under Fire for Launching Kids Firearm

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm gonna :puke:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bill_g wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:03 am Grooming? Don't see no grooming here.

Huh. I am not sure how to feel about this.

I grew up around guns, and as a kid I wanted to do what the adults were doing. I had access to a BB gun, and a 22 rifle (the later of which was in a gun safe and taken out when we went to a range).. so I can totally get kids wanting something like what their parents are using and parents wanting to introduce their kids to the hobby using something smaller/lighter/low powered... though a modern air soft rifle would be SUCH a better option today!

But wow does that ad creep me out. Plus, as a kid, I would probably be put off by it since, well, I wanted 'real' things, not 'kiddie-fied' versions. Both guns I used were appropriate for kids, but not designed for them. I am not even sure they were marketed in any particular or special way.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:03 am Grooming? Don't see no grooming here.

Patented Tamper Proof?

I'd really like to hear the opinion from the Lock Picking Lawyer on Youtube. He shreds all fire arm safety locks to pieces in seconds. Like using strips of a Red Bull can or any other readily available household scrap.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:20 am Patented Tamper Proof?

I'd really like to hear the opinion from the Lock Picking Lawyer on Youtube. He shreds all fire arm safety locks to pieces in seconds. Like using strips of a Red Bull can or any other readily available household scrap.
I am picturing something like child proof caps, where befuddled adults have to hand it to a kid to unlock it.

You want something to be child safe? Don't give them ammunition till they are at the range (or even the back yard) and ready to shoot. Even if they keep the gun in their room to show all their little friends, keep the ammo itself locked away.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

NRA Member Revenue Plummets to 15-Year Low
The gun group collected $97 million in dues in 2021, according to an annual financial report. That’s a 43 percent drop from 2018 and the lowest figure since 2006.

Member dues payments to the National Rifle Association continue to crater, with the group collecting just $97 million in dues in 2021, according to an annual financial report released at the organization’s recent convention in Houston. That’s the lowest figure since 2006, when member revenue was $72 million, and a 43 percent drop from a recent high of $170 million in 2018.

At an NRA board meeting held on Memorial Day, participants discussed declining net member totals and membership renewals, according to an account by Frank Tait, a longtime active NRA member and critic of the organization’s leadership who was present. According to that account, CEO Wayne LaPierre said that “gas prices and inflation” were the primary reasons for people not joining the association, even though the recent declines in membership revenue began in 2018.
:snippity:
https://www.thetrace.org/2022/05/nra-me ... e-houston/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I wonder if it's the support for guns over kids, or the corruption of LaPierre et al? Both? Neither?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:18 pm I wonder if it's the support for guns over kids, or the corruption of LaPierre et al? Both? Neither?
I recall someone saying (probably on Ur-Fogbog) that many shooters have NRA membership because it provides insurance, cheap membership of ranges, or other useful benefits.

Perhaps some organizations are uncoupling themselves from the NRA and offering similar benefits via other routes? So members who were never enthusiastic about the NRA (whether because of its corruption or its promotion of child murder, and let's not be prejudiced, mass murder generally) have alternatives?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:51 am I recall someone saying (probably on Ur-Fogbog) that many shooters have NRA membership because it provides insurance, cheap membership of ranges, or other useful benefits.

Perhaps some organizations are uncoupling themselves from the NRA and offering similar benefits via other routes? So members who were never enthusiastic about the NRA (whether because of its corruption or its promotion of child murder, and let's not be prejudiced, mass murder generally) have alternatives?
I hope so. I might have been one of the people mentioning this. The NRA insures shooting ranges at rates below general insurance companies. The few NRA members I know in real life are members mostly because of how difficult it is to participate in the community and access resources like ranges without it.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for non NRA ranges to compete,.. they are more costly to run, and it is difficult to bring in enough customers and events to keep the lights on since it is, well, a community. There are, I believe, state run places, but they are more 'hunter outreach' programs and not 'go down and shoot for an afternoon' setups. Though there is a black powder one nearby I keep meaning to check out....
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Thx neeneko, that's what I was thinking of. Obviously my conjecture is only spitballing and perhaps implausible - why would a decent insurance company want that business considering the possibility of yuuuge liability if a range is found to be at fault after some atrocity.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:49 pm Thx neeneko, that's what I was thinking of. Obviously my conjecture is only spitballing and perhaps implausible - why would a decent insurance company want that business considering the possibility of yuuuge liability if a range is found to be at fault after some atrocity.
Or at minimal, a normal insurance company will charge a premium based off the likelyhood of a payout, and thus their calculation is pure risk vs reward. For the NRA on the other hand, they can afford to prop up their insurance arm since its purpose is political rather than economic. It is hard to beat the prices and packages of someone who isn't trying to make money off the service.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wa ... -rcna32752
Days after a gunman murdered 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas, National Rifle Association CEO Wayne La Pierre highlighted his organization’s efforts to bolster security at schools. He described schoolchildren as “our most treasured and precious resource” who deserve safety and protection.

“That’s why the NRA launched our School Shield program, to help promote and fund the necessary security that every school child needs and deserves,” LaPierre said at the NRA convention in Houston on May 27.

But in reality, the NRA has devoted only a fraction of its budget to protecting schools. The total amount of NRA funds given to schools to improve security since the program began in 2014 is less than $2 million, or .08 percent of the $2.2 billion in revenue the NRA and its associated foundation have raised in the same timeframe, from 2014 to 2019, according to an NBC News review of charitable tax filings and information from the Second Amendment organization.
:mad: :mad: :mad:
tek

Post by tek »

wow, that's a shocker...
Not.

Return to “Current Politics”