Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:39 am Proud Boys are a national street gang endorsed by a certain party.
I think from now on we should say "The Crips and the [Proud] Boys" when talking about gangs.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I wouldn't get my hope up. November is five months away. People forget, and Abbott will be sure to pull a few rabbits out of his hat between now and then.

Now, if there is a significant power outage from ERCOT in September . . . .
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:10 pm I wouldn't get my hope up. November is five months away. People forget, and Abbott will be sure to pull a few rabbits out of his hat between now and then.

...or another mass shooting of school children.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:10 pm I wouldn't get my hope up. November is five months away. People forget, and Abbott will be sure to pull a few rabbits out of his hat between now and then.

Or if there is another rural texas school shooting
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

You all have a lot more faith than do I. If nineteen dead ten year olds don't move the dial, what are another group of dead children going to do? For that matter, if the twenty dead six year olds in Sandy Hook didn't move the dial, what do you think another group is going to do? Not much. There are a lot of people who believe in the Abbott/Paxton approach to gun violence, and any number of dead children are not going to change their minds.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Or until a school one of their kids goes to has an incident.
raison de arizona

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:38 pm Or until a school one of their kids goes to has an incident.
I doubt that will change their view. It will just reinforce their existing ones. Taller fences. Less doors. More guns, why weren't ALL the teachers armed? Issue side arms in place of restroom passes. They aren't going to suddenly decide that mebbe Beto is right.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Steve Scalise only doubled down after having his insides rearranged.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:40 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:38 pm Or until a school one of their kids goes to has an incident.
I doubt that will change their view. It will just reinforce their existing ones. Taller fences. Less doors. More guns, why weren't ALL the teachers armed? Issue side arms in place of restroom passes. They aren't going to suddenly decide that mebbe Beto is right.
Mechanized automatic CIWS in the hallways. Put one of these bad boys at every intersection of hallways and all stair wells.

:biggun:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:34 pm You all have a lot more faith than do I. If nineteen dead ten year olds don't move the dial, what are another group of dead children going to do? For that matter, if the twenty dead six year olds in Sandy Hook didn't move the dial, what do you think another group is going to do? Not much. There are a lot of people who believe in the Abbott/Paxton approach to gun violence, and any number of dead children are not going to change their minds.
Moving the dial for a few politicians is much harder than moving the dial for thousands of ordinary people who vote. We're already moving the dial, albeit not nearly far or fast enough. Gun laws are appealing to one-issue voters more and more, and (based on polls and surveys) we outnumber the arm everyone gun nuts
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:19 pm

...or another mass shooting of school children.
Well, I was trying to avoid a disaster of that magnitude and tragedy. But, yeah, Sugar.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

A major TX power outage is most likely in August.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:48 pm :biggun:
I just got horrible Rimworld flashes... I think in my last playthrough I actually did have an automated turret sitting right in the school hallway.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:34 pm You all have a lot more faith than do I. If nineteen dead ten year olds don't move the dial, what are another group of dead children going to do?
:snippity:
Well, consider if it happened at a football game maybe?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

keith wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:20 am
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:34 pm You all have a lot more faith than do I. If nineteen dead ten year olds don't move the dial, what are another group of dead children going to do?
:snippity:
Well, consider if it happened at a football game maybe?
Crowd should have been armed. Only thing that could have stopped it. Do away with gun free zones.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:46 pm Steve Scalise only doubled down after having his insides rearranged.
BUT, he survived and minimized what happened which trauma victims do. I think if it happened to one of his family members he might view it differently.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:15 am
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:46 pm Steve Scalise only doubled down after having his insides rearranged.
BUT, he survived and minimized what happened which trauma victims do. I think if it happened to one of his family members he might view it differently.
I don't. They are true believers, more gunz is always the answer to any shooting. Hardening of so-called targets, more good guys carrying, less gun free zones. Always. "If only someone had been able to take the shooter out..." Not, "If only the shooter had not had a gun."
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:14 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:15 am
I don't. They are true believers, more gunz is always the answer to any shooting. Hardening of so-called targets, more good guys carrying, less gun free zones. Always. "If only someone had been able to take the shooter out..." Not, "If only the shooter had not had a gun."
\

If only there had been anti-armor missiles in the classroom.... :biggun:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Yeh. Y'all are right.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:53 pm Yeh. Y'all are right.
Well, in all honesty I really hope and pray that you are right and at least enough of them come to their senses enough to realize that we are the civilized country in the world with this problem to turn the tide. But I don't hold out hope. An example of what we are up against.
Tiredretiredlawyer

One of the best expressions evah, and maybe on this forum, was how some gun owners are horny for their guns.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s too bad Abbott’s not one of them gun-grabbing’ liberals the right is so askeered of. If he was we could call him GWAbbott.

:mrgreen:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:33 pm It’s too bad Abbott’s not one of them gun-grabbing’ liberals the right is so askeered of. If he was we could call him GWAbbott.

:mrgreen:
We still can, who said it has to be about guns? He's a Republican, they're known for grabbing something else.... :thumbsup:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not quite Abbott, but...

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-secede-u ... um-1717254
Texas Republicans are pushing for a referendum to decide whether the state should secede from the U.S.

The demand for Texans to be allowed to vote on the issue in 2023 was one of many measures adopted in the Texas GOP's party platform following last week's state convention in Houston.

Under a section titled "State Sovereignty," the platform states: "Pursuant to Article 1, Section 1, of the Texas Constitution, the federal government has impaired our right of local self-government. Therefore, federally mandated legislation that infringes upon the 10th Amendment rights of Texas should be ignored, opposed, refused, and nullified.

"Texas retains the right to secede from the United States, and the Texas Legislature should be called upon to pass a referendum consistent thereto."
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”