Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by raison de arizona »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:12 am Just… Stop.
Governor Abbott, Attorney General Paxton Aligned in Defense of Executive Order Prohibiting Mask Mandates
August 11, 2021 | Austin, Texas | Press Release
:snippity:
“This isn’t the first time we have dealt with activist characters. It’s deja vu all over again,” Attorney General Paxton said. “Attention-grabbing judges and mayors have defied executive orders before, when the pandemic first started, and the courts ruled on our side – the law. I’m confident the outcomes to any suits will side with liberty and individual choice, not mandates and government overreach.”
And... they were right. Boo. Hiss.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

temporary halt? Until what?

(I tried to read the article but kept hitting a paywall)
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

expressnews.com wrote:The all-Republican Texas Supreme Court on Sunday temporarily revived Gov. Greg Abbott’s ban on local mask mandates, thwarting attempts by officials in Dallas and Bexar counties to implement COVID-19 restrictions as coronavirus patients strain hospitals.

The justices granted Abbott’s request for an emergency that blocks lower court decisions allowing officials in those counties to require masks in schools or indoor spaces, affirming Abbott’s July 29 executive order that removed local authority over measures to lessen the severity of the pandemic.

Harris County’s similar but separate case is still at the appellate level and is not affected by Sunday’s ruling. A sweeping decision from the Texas Supreme Court, however, could affect Harris and other jurisdictions.

Sunday’s stay is temporary; the court has yet to make a final ruling in the case. The case will continue to be heard in lower courts; Bexar County has a hearing Monday, and Dallas County has a hearing Aug. 24.

“Tex Supreme Court narrowly ruled, staying only the TRO against Gov. Abbott but allowing the temporary injunction hearing to go forward,” Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins tweeted just after the stay posted. “We won’t stop working with parents, doctors, schools, business + others to protect you and intend to win that hearing.”

Officials had hoped their mask mandates would remain in place as thousands of more schoolchildren return to the classroom this week. The counties have argued that under the Texas Disaster Act, which delineates the governor’s powers during a state of emergency, Abbott can suspend only state agencies’ orders, not those of local governmental entities.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

According to a Covid symposium I recently attended, if it's Delta he's spreading it before he has any symptoms. And because he's vaccinated, he might not have any symptoms, or it might get very bad in a few days, and everything in between. But he's definitely a danger to the community.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:28 pm According to a Covid symposium I recently attended, if it's Delta he's spreading it before he has any symptoms. And because he's vaccinated, he might not have any symptoms, or it might get very bad in a few days, and everything in between. But he's definitely a danger to the community.
He's been a danger to the community for years, regardless of whether he had covid or not.
Lani

Post by Lani »

LOL. I thought someone would post that. Yeah, all he did was add more danger to his state.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
filly

Post by filly »

raison de arizona

He supported Rand Paul for president before Rand washed out, then he switched to Trump. Donated a decent chunk of change to the pair.

Oh, and he's opening for Clapton, who is both racist and anti-vax.

I don't want to be cruel, so I'll leave it there.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

(Of course a perfect bitch wouldn't be treatable with monoclonal antibodies)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Now can karma do Ron DeSantis? :daydreaming:
Lansdowne

Post by Lansdowne »

Does anyone know?

Does it make sense for him to be both (1) asymptomatic AND (2) be on a course of Regeneron?

Or perhaps it's just more advertising?
raison de arizona

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tests positive for Covid after banning mask, vaccine mandates
Abbott has told people he got a third booster dose of a vaccine.
Abbott has told people he received a third booster dose of a vaccine, two sources said. Abbott's office did not respond to a request for comment about a booster shot. Except for people with compromised immune systems, booster shots have not been authorized by the Food and Drug Administration, although the Biden administration is expected to announce a program to administer them soon.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... d-n1277021

Clearly he thought it said "compromised ethics", not "compromised immune system".
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Could be just advertising

But given the duplicity of RWNJs

He may well be heading for a ventilator

If so… that won’t help sales if he ends up being pumped with O2
Lani

Post by Lani »

Yes, regeneron has to be administered before there are serious symptoms to be effective. He might not have any serious symptoms due to his vaccination, but be a superspreader because he's a non-masker a-hole.

Or he might being lying about being infected b/c he's promoting regeneron....
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Karma, she is a bitch.

I wish Abbot well but hope his ordeal serves as a morality tale for the anti-science anti-vax rightwing.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:46 pm Karma, she is a bitch.

I wish Abbot well but hope his ordeal serves as a morality tale for the anti-science anti-vax rightwing.
You're very nice.

I hope the motherfucker dies.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I was trying to be kind. Actually, I fucking agree with you.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

You know, the number of people who are on my GDIAF* list is increasing at almost the same rate as the Delta Variant.

*Go Die in a Fire
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:28 pm According to a Covid symposium I recently attended, if it's Delta he's spreading it before he has any symptoms. And because he's vaccinated, he might not have any symptoms, or it might get very bad in a few days, and everything in between. But he's definitely a danger to the community.
The R Naught* for delta is 5-8. Previous strains had an R Naught of 1-2.

*An R Naught is the number of people an infected person infects.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Post by Lani »

LM K wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:03 pm
The R Naught* for delta is 5-8. Previous strains had an R Naught of 1-2.

*An R Naught is the number of people an infected person infects.
Yep. And our comfort about being vaccinated can cause people to be a bit more relaxed about protecting themselves and others. Delta is pleased about that.

We're trying to get our vaccination protocol rolled out for employees who have received it & those that refuse to provide information. But now the state and counties are thinking about adding random testing for the fully vaccinated as well.

I'm dropping my 2 or more days per month in the office. I have to hold some meetings, but will just go in long enough to get it done. I might go back to remote meetings only.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:P COVIDA was our favorite!

Gosh this was only OCTOBER 6, 2020. Doesn't it feel like a decade?

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
filly

Post by filly »

Lansdowne wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:02 pm Does anyone know?

Does it make sense for him to be both (1) asymptomatic AND (2) be on a course of Regeneron?

Or perhaps it's just more advertising?
No, it does not make sense, especially if you believe what they say: all of this happened today!

And now he got a booster shot too? That makes no sense.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:57 pm
He supported Rand Paul for president before Rand washed out, then he switched to Trump. Donated a decent chunk of change to the pair.

Oh, and he's opening for Clapton, who is both racist and anti-vax.

I don't want to be cruel, so I'll leave it there.
I am very disappointed to hear that Jimmy Vaughan is a Trumper. Years ago I caught him as an opening act for Bob Dylan. It was during Dylan's tour of minor league ballparks, in 2006. We saw the show at Cooper Stadium in Columbus. During Jimmie's set, he brought out a mystery guest. It was Eric Clapton, who married a Columbus girl and was living in town at the time. The crowd went wild. So Jimmie and Eric go back a long way. I am sorry that a beautiful memory of mine has been tarnished by the fact that they are both assholes.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dyla ... 2f3e2.html

Return to “Current Politics”