Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by Volkonski »

:mad:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by raison de arizona »

The order: https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/pre ... 1-2021.pdf

I wonder if sports and concerts will start avoiding the state? It would be nice if they would.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Is there any school district that will designate a complex open for unmasked teachers and pupils, and vaccination optional?
filly

Post by filly »

Greg Abbot is a monster who wants to be more of an asshole than DeSantis. I don’t believe that Executive Order has any weight to it.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

filly wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:19 pm Greg Abbot is a monster who wants to be more of an asshole than DeSantis. I don’t believe that Executive Order has any weight to it.
Governor Hot Wheels needs a meeting with Caren Hale’s skillet.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Greatgrey wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:04 am
filly wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:19 pm Greg Abbot is a monster who wants to be more of an asshole than DeSantis. I don’t believe that Executive Order has any weight to it.
Governor Hot Wheels needs a meeting with Caren Hale’s skillet.
I laughed at this :rotflmao:

I shouldn't have, but I did, yeah I'm a bad person... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Despicable.
Prompted by Abbott primary challenger, Texas agency removed webpage with suicide hotline, other resources for LGBTQ youth

In late August, one of Gov. Greg Abbott’s primary challengers, Don Huffines, accused Texas’ child welfare agency of “promoting transgender sexual policies to Texas youth” under a section of its website titled “Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation.”

“These are not Texas values, these are not Republican Party values, but these are obviously Greg Abbott’s values,” Huffines said in a widely circulated video on Twitter. The webpage published by the Department of Family and Protective Services linked to a suicide prevention hotline and other resources “dedicated to helping empower and celebrate” young LGBTQ people.

Within hours, the webpage was gone.

So was the entire website for the Texas Youth Connection, a division of Family and Protective Services that steers young people to various resources, including education, housing and those on its LGBTQ page as they prepare for life after foster care. It was replaced by a message that states, “The Texas Youth Connection website has been temporarily disabled for a comprehensive review of its content. This is being done to ensure that its information, resources, and referrals are current.”
:snippity:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politi ... 525826.php
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Counting down to when it returns... :waiting:

That's a disgraceful thing to do. There is no bottom...
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not sure if this is the best place for this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... ar-AAPqigj

Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly told CNBC on Tuesday he believes businesses should not impose Covid vaccine mandates on their employees, but he said his company is doing so to comply with federal rules put in place by the Biden administration.

"I've never been in favor of corporations imposing that kind of a mandate. I'm not in favor of that. Never have been," Kelly said in an interview on "Squawk on the Street." "But the executive order from President Biden mandates that all federal employees and then all federal contractors, which covers all the major airlines, have to have a [vaccine] mandate ... in place by Dec. 8, so we're working through that."

Southwest said last week that its 56,000 employees needed to be vaccinated against Covid by Dec. 8 in order to keep working at the airline under the federal mandate. Southwest's announcement came a few days after other carriers — including American Airlines, Alaska Airlines and JetBlue Airways — informed employees about the need to adhere to federal vaccine rules.
So he's with Abbott?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

No he’s trying to walk the tightrope. Kelly’s judgment isn’t the best. This comment is another data point.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I do love how GOP Governors whine about federal government intrusions while they happily restrict freedom and mandate rules for localities and even businesses in their own state. I thought the GOP was about getting rid of regulation.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

Gee it’s almost like American and Southwest have good lawyers. Who’d a thunk it?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... cine-order
American Airlines and Southwest Airlines will continue to require COVID-19 vaccinations for their employees as required by the Biden administration, defying Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s (R) executive order banning all vaccine mandates in the state.

The Texas-based carriers recently announced that all employees must get the shots to comply with the Biden administration’s vaccine requirement for federal contractors. Both airlines have large contracts with the U.S. government to transport supplies and federal officials.

Abbott signed an executive order Monday that prohibits any entity with 100 or more employees from implementing COVID-19 vaccine mandates, directly challenging the Biden administration’s vaccine requirement. The airlines said Tuesday that they will comply with the federal government rule over Abbott’s executive order.
Flip.
filly

Post by filly »

A perfect example of “Money talks bullshit walks.”
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Somewhere I read a social media post from a person purporting to be a child of a Southwest pilot.

All those canceled flight last weekend weren’t caused by weather and/or staff shortages. Oh, no, all 170,000 employees walked out over mandates!
bob

Post by bob »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:07 pm Somewhere I read a social media post from a person purporting to be a child of a Southwest pilot.

All those canceled flight last weekend weren’t caused by weather and/or staff shortages. Oh, no, all 170,000 employees walked out over mandates!
Yeah. :roll:

No time to find links for Rikker, but the Southwest pilots' union was forced to issue a presser saying, "Really, the delay was caused by weather and scheduling issues, not the mandate."

The union painfully explained that Southwest uses a routing system that's different from other airlines, which would explain why it was more impacted by adverse weather than its competitors.
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

I know a boatload of present and former SWA employees and not a one said the MAGA CT was even a remote possibility.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Giggle, filly said a boatload of airline employees. :lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
filly

Post by filly »

Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:13 pm Giggle, filly said a boatload of airline employees. :lol:
Well, their flights have been canceled!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Flying boats are back in? :pray:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kinda off topic, but if you are ever in County limerick in Ireland, the Foynes flying boat museum is worth a visit.

https://www.flyingboatmuseum.com/
Home to the world's only full-size replica of a B314 flying boat

Explore Foynes' role in early passenger flights across the Atlantic Ocean and the legendary flying boats that came and went went carrying celebrities, royalty, rich and famous and desperate refugees alike.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

filly

Post by filly »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 pm
Abbott was out running during a thunderstorm. Lightning hits tree, falls on Abbott. He's been getting settlement payments every year (with huge payments every 4-5 years) since 1983. When do the payments end?

Return to “Current Politics”