Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Gregg

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by Gregg »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:02 pm I just find it ironic that the U.S. Supreme Court case finding that states could not, on their own, secede from the Union, was Texas v. White. Decided in 1869.
Not to mention Grant v. Army of Northern Virginia, Appomattox Court House 1865...
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Greg Abbott - Gregory Wayne Abbott, former TX AG, now 48th Governor of Texas

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Be careful about wishing for TX to secede. Firstborn and his family live there and will definitely vote for Beto.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 am Be careful about wishing for TX to secede. Firstborn and his family live there and will definitely vote for Beto.
I really feel for the people of Texas, they have it really bad there. Best wishes to your family there, may their lights stay on and their healthcare remain accessible.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I have family in Texas. I informed them I don’t have a passport.

They say this is theatre for the base/rubes.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:00 pm I have family in Texas. I informed them I don’t have a passport.

They say this is theatre for the base/rubes.
Of course it is. While the base is is often unconcerned about results, the politicians usually need to turn up the volume to hold the rubes' interest.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:33 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:27 am Be careful about wishing for TX to secede. Firstborn and his family live there and will definitely vote for Beto.
I really feel for the people of Texas, they have it really bad there. Best wishes to your family there, may their lights stay on and their healthcare remain accessible.
:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Bet he refuses. The gas tax is a windfall for him just now.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

May Abbott and the U.S. Supreme Court so invigorate sensible voters that a blue tsunami votes in Beto O' Rourke.
raison de arizona

Remember this? Beto does. :thumbsup:
Beto O'Rourke @BetoORourke wrote: Under Abbott, Texas leads the nation in rape offenses while the rate of arrests for rape has fallen by nearly HALF.

What happened to eliminating rape in Texas?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

From the "because his truck inspections went so well before" department...
Greg Abbott announces new checkpoints to find trafficker trucks in Texas

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that he’ll set up new, state-run checkpoints to inspect trucks for human-trafficking operations in response to the horrific deaths of 53 migrants in the rear of a sweltering tractor-trailer.

Abbott again blamed President Biden for Monday’s incident in San Antonio, saying it came after the big rig carrying the doomed migrants wasn’t inspected when it passed through a Border Patrol checkpoint in Encinal, Texas, about three hours earlier.
:snippity:
https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/greg-abbo ... -in-texas/

Shirely Abbott has learned from the error of his mistake and things will go much better this time.
:roll:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Toby Morton
@tobymorton
Governor Greg Abbott failed to secure http://GovernorGregAbbott.com so now I own the domain and I’ve created his new website. Enjoy!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

poplove wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:29 am
Toby Morton
@tobymorton
Governor Greg Abbott failed to secure http://GovernorGregAbbott.com so now I own the domain and I’ve created his new website. Enjoy!
It's actually quite meta when you think about it -- a truly competent, meritocratic, technocratic organization would have the logistics down so that this crap doesn't happen. The fact that a *reasonably obvious* domain name was not secured by his people means he doesn't really know or care to have a truly competent team. Yet Another Failure.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Excellent parody. Now someone do Desantis.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Kendra wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:09 am Excellent parody. Now someone do Desantis.
I think he already did. At the bottom of the page he lists the sites he's done.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:33 am
Kendra wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:09 am Excellent parody. Now someone do Desantis.
I think he already did. At the bottom of the page he lists the sites he's done.
TY. It's early yet, I haven't done covfefe or put on the readers :bag:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I resemble that remark!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Can't help but think that Texas GOPers are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to end voting by mail for seniors.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Almost makes me wonder if they are trying to get the turnout so low they can claim it lacks whatever the voting equivalent of a quorum is.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:33 pm

Can't help but think that Texas GOPers are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to end voting by mail for seniors.
I mean, "I'm voting GOP" would be an acceptable excuse, right? /s
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:17 pm Almost makes me wonder if they are trying to get the turnout so low they can claim it lacks whatever the voting equivalent of a quorum is.
I don't think there is any such thing as a voting quorum. If one person votes, the person who gets that vote wins.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:52 pm I don't think there is any such thing as a voting quorum. If one person votes, the person who gets that vote wins.
I was not thinking legally, but rhetorically. i.e. the sitting GoP claiming that so few people voted the election was not representative of the people. Watching oversees elections we do see this come up, elections with tiny or very specific turnouts all voting one way and the state just doing whatever it wants.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:38 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:52 pm I don't think there is any such thing as a voting quorum. If one person votes, the person who gets that vote wins.
I was not thinking legally, but rhetorically. i.e. the sitting GoP claiming that so few people voted the election was not representative of the people. Watching oversees elections we do see this come up, elections with tiny or very specific turnouts all voting one way and the state just doing whatever it wants.
Well, I sat there this morning and listened to the MS Solicitor General argue that once Roe was overturned any other state constitution abortion laws that contradicted it "vanished" and "no longer existed" so I have no idea any more what can happen legally.

I don't think he was right, but he said it with conviction.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Department of Justice is investigating alleged civil rights violations under Operation Lone Star, a border initiative announced last year by Republican Greg Abbott, according to state records obtained by ProPublica and The Texas Tribune.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

It has taken him weeks but it appears that Abbott has decided on his response to the Uvalde school shooting.

He dare not blame the easy availability of guns so he has to blame the police.
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:38 pm I was not thinking legally, but rhetorically. i.e. the sitting GoP claiming that so few people voted the election was not representative of the people.
Low voter turnout is never a problem for the GOP when the GOP wins.

Return to “Current Politics”