Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

MN-Skeptic

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:46 pm I hate it when people tell me I look ten years younger after trimming my beard, particularly when all I did was trim my eyebrows.
My youngest sister sometimes does public speaking and one trick she learned about looking younger has to do with your eyebrows. A person's eyebrows get lighter (paler? more gray?) as you get older. So to appear younger, apply a bit of eyebrow coloring to them.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:46 pm I hate it when people tell me I look ten years younger after trimming my beard, particularly when all I did was trim my eyebrows.
:lol:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:49 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 am I guess The Ghost snd Mrs. Muir is disqualified. She wasn’t a mom but she was single.
No, in the teevee version she had two kids.
In the movie version, she had a daughter.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Can someone enlighten me? I’ve been “permanently suspended” for Twitter for nearly two years. Today, for the first time, I’m allowed to like posts, but still not follow or comment. It no longer gives that message for commenting, just ‘something went wrong, try again’. Following stilll gets that message.

Are they thawing, gradually? Will I one day be let back into the fold with no notice?
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:17 am I couldn't sleep again, so I watched some classic TV shows as I often do. Andy Griffith and other sitcoms and some old Western series.

I noticed that there were many shows featuring single fathers. Now I'm trying to recall any shows featuring single moms. Weird.

Andy Griffith and Mayberry RFD
To Kill a Mockingbird
Bonanza
Sky King
Flipper
The Rifleman
MyThree Sons
Family Affair
Courtship of Eddie's Father
A little late to this but wouldn’t another Andy Griffith show “Matlock” count?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:01 pm
My youngest sister sometimes does public speaking and one trick she learned about looking younger has to do with your eyebrows. A person's eyebrows get lighter (paler? more gray?) as you get older. So to appear younger, apply a bit of eyebrow coloring to them.
But is there a cure for the mad scientist look when I haven't tamed my eyebrows in a couple months?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yes. Tame them.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Just another day in Corporate America.
My boss got laid off today. I will really really miss her. We were a fabulous fit working style wise. I'm very much a "Point me in a direction, then leave me alone to get it done" type of person. I don't react well to micromanaging to the point of telling me which key to press on the keyboard.

New boss is a bit more hands on then old boss, but I've worked with her on a couple of projects in the past. She knows her stuff, she is just a bit... abrupt? I think that might be a good word, and it's not meant in a derogatory or negative way. I think we are similar in that way. I tend to use few words, fewer adjectives and adverbs to get the point across at times.

So... another day, another 57.5 cents (just got that raise, y'know.) Maybe. It was the other boss that told me about it. We'll see if it sticks.

Oh yeah, and another thing: New boss is not a fan of remote work. She is based out of the Twin Cities, so there may end up being a move in my future.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

jez wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:15 pm Oh yeah, and another thing: New boss is not a fan of remote work. She is based out of the Twin Cities, so there may end up being a move in my future.
:wave: Hi from The Twin Cities!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

My old job was very anti-remote work until covid hit, then they learned that just as much got done (perhaps more) by remote employees and they decided it was ok. My problem with remote work is that I often find myself living at work, rather than working from home.

In other news, I saw this:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:nooo:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

jez wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:15 pm Oh yeah, and another thing: New boss is not a fan of remote work. She is based out of the Twin Cities, so there may end up being a move in my future.
Twin Cities very nice. The people take a while to really get to know, though.. Minnesota Nice is a facade that takes a little work to get through.

Beautiful place to live though.. lots of options, from the old neighborhoods of St. Paul to the spiffy new stuff that keeps going up on the outskirts. I haven't been there for a few years, so for all I know Antifa has burned everything down. :faint:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

tek wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:44 pm
Twin Cities very nice. The people take a while to really get to know, though.. Minnesota Nice is a facade that takes a little work to get through.

Beautiful place to live though.. lots of options, from the old neighborhoods of St. Paul to the spiffy new stuff that keeps going up on the outskirts. I haven't been there for a few years, so for all I know Antifa has burned everything down. :faint:
I grew up in North Dakota so accent is not a problem. Also lived there for a couple of years down in Lakeville. I think the office is either the one downtown or one up in Shoreview. I may not move at all. Would be kinda nice to be closer to my Dad. He's about 7 hours West (slowing down for he NDHP around Valley City).
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

jez wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:59 pm
tek wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:44 pm

I grew up in North Dakota so accent is not a problem. Also lived there for a couple of years down in Lakeville. I think the office is either the one downtown or one up in Shoreview. I may not move at all. Would be kinda nice to be closer to my Dad. He's about 7 hours West (slowing down for he NDHP around Valley City).
You can zip on down to my place too and clean the snow out of my driveway and sidewalk while I'm healing from an upcoming ankle surgery.
Il factotum
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck with that ankle!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Okay, zeke, fess up. Whose ass have you been kicking that makes ankle surgery necessary?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:15 pm Okay, zeke, fess up. Whose ass have you been kicking that makes ankle surgery necessary?
More like a thing where an old folk was trying to do what he used to easily do 40 years ago. It's been hurting for the past two years and I finally convinced the VA that there was something wrong. An MRI confirmed it.
Il factotum
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Keep us posted! :biggrin: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Sitting in a dental office about to get an implant and there’s a guy sitting a few seats away singing along with the music being played and the poor guy obviously couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket! 😂
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 am A somewhat satisfying moment at the post office yesterday.

Not at the post office, but my first client of the day lives on a road which people like to use as a bypass for a busy road/choke point. The county was annoyed about this, because it meant that these people kept the school buses from collecting their students in a timely fashion AND because these same idiots were going around buses with flashers on.

So the county banned people from turning onto this road during certain hours. Doesn't apply to residents or people with a legitimate work purpose, so I of course drive along the road at the speed limit, which is 35 mph. Every once in a while I get some goon behind me who obviously needs to drive much, much faster because they are late for work. Too bad, you will go 35 mph until I turn into the driveway of my client, which means you will follow me for about a mile and a half.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Very cool! :thumbsup:

Native American legend Sitting Bull’s great-grandson identified through DNA from 130-year-old hair
Sitting Bull.png
Sitting Bull.png (302.98 KiB) Viewed 832 times
The great-grandson of Sitting Bull, the famed Lakota leader, has been identified through a novel method of analyzing DNA of long dead people by examining the 19th-century Native American legend’s hair, researchers announced Wednesday.

The results, published in the journal Science Advances, conclude Ernie LaPointe, 73, of South Dakota, is the closest living descendant of Sitting Bull, who died more than 130 years ago.

“To our knowledge, this is the first published example of a familial relationship between contemporary and a historical individual that has been confirmed using such limited amounts of ancient DNA across such distant relatives,” wrote researchers from the University of Cambridge, adding that the findings could open the door for others whose DNA can be extracted from remains such as hair, bones or teeth.

LaPointe did not immediately respond to a request for comment early Thursday. He told Reuters that the study confirms what he’s been saying for years about his relationship to Sitting Bull. The results could help LaPointe, of Lead, S.D., in his ongoing fight to move Sitting Bull’s remains from his burial site in Mobridge, S.D., to another location that the descendant says would have more of a significant connection to the culture he represented.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/ ... -lapointe/
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I was headed down the stairs and almost put my hand down on this girl (or guy, I can't tell the difference).
Calm Yellow Jacket sm.jpg
Calm Yellow Jacket sm.jpg (157.78 KiB) Viewed 842 times
That would have been bad for my hand. Only because it is cold and wet did she probably not consider attacking. I had actually left and came back 5-10 minutes and took the shot. She had moved only a few steps.
101010 :towel:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

One of those was coming up the next door neighbor’s pool’s ladder as I was easing myself down the same ladder when I was 10. She got me right in the web between thumb and forefinger.

Boy, that burned! You dodged one, N10.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I once ended up stepping on a nest while setting up a BB range at camp. Felt a sting, looked down and noticed a bunch on my legs. Ended up with like 3 stings in one leg and 2 in the other. Ouch.

We spent so much time ensuring our field sports ranges were safe and I get whacked not by a firearm but a bunch of black and yellow assholes (the black and yellow insects which actually have some use unlike the black and yellow proud boy assholes).
101010 :towel:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Because we heat with a wood stove, we often wind up bringing in hibernating wasps. Usually my small fierce hunters let me know that one is in the house, but sometimes I discover them. They are too cold to do much more than buzz around, but I still don't want the kitties getting to them. They are always queens, too (since those are the only wasps which overwinter).

Return to “General Stuff”