Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

MN-Skeptic

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The Library of Congress is using Lizzo in their promotions. Lizzo is shining here. :lovestruck:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/29/entertai ... index.html
“The Daily Show” host Trevor Noah has announced he will step away from the anchor desk.

In a video statement shared on Twitter Thursday, Noah said that after seven years as host of the Comedy Central satirical news program, his “time is up.”

“It’s been absolutely amazing. It’s something that I never expected,” Noah said of his experience hosting the show. “I found myself thinking throughout the time of everything we’ve gone through. The Trump presidency, the pandemic, just the journey, more pandemic and I realize that after the seven years, my time is up.”

Noah, a standup comedian from South Africa, was a relative newcomer to American audiences when he was named as host of “The Daily Show” after Jon Stewart signed off in 2015.

“I want to say thank you to you, to you who watched this,” Noah said. “I never dreamed that I would be here. I sort of feel like ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.’ I came here for a tour of what the previous show was and then the next thing you know I was handed the keys.”

Noah hinted that his decision to leave the show is rooted in his desire to return to more standup work.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I remember a rather shy guy with an extraordinary personal history growing up in South Africa under the Aparthaid regime, colored mother with a Swiss white guy as father, transferred to the US and ending up shaking the hands of thie POTUS.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Imagine being so full of shit that someone makes a shit statue of you to commemorate just how full of shit you are.

And might I add, ew.
Mike Sington @MikeSington wrote: There’s a life size poop sculpture of Republican Senator Ron Johnson in Wisconsin, because he’s so full of bullsh*t.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

p0rtia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:11 pm Yes, but I saw no twerks with the glass flute playing.

And my god is she good!
Maybe it wasn’t the twerking.
B24AAC4A-7EA3-4D7E-912A-B334E70A15C8.jpeg
B24AAC4A-7EA3-4D7E-912A-B334E70A15C8.jpeg (236.29 KiB) Viewed 808 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

Word on the street is that the Library of Congress has more than doubled their Twitter followers in the wake of Lizzo-gate. :thumbsup:

You don't have to be a Cubbie to appreciate this:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:27 pm You don't have to be a Cubbie to appreciate this:
https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status ... 6436207618
Um, there is way more tech being used here than just a drone flying around with a camera. -- NOTE: Nobody looks at the drone (they do make noise) Nobody notices?

Regardless, VERY COOL video!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Very cool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

She did twerk just a bit. I’m sure that but is the only part right wingers know about.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I have not performed an extensive research investigation on the subject, but to the untrained eye, I am sorry if they thought they invented something heretofore unheard of, but twerking sure looks like a thing from the distant past called "shake your booty" (or Sheik Yerboutie), which is a variation of something the womenfolk have been employing since long before Earthlings invented the wheel, or maybe even fire.

I'm not complaining, mind you. The lady twerked, and more power to her. I survived it with no mental health damage whatsoever, so I'm sorry to hear about the conservatives who almost died from seeing it.

:violin: :crying:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Ok, now the really bad news.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Indonesian Soccer Tragedy Fans Fled as Police Fired Tear Gas, Causing Deadly Rush For Exits
Policing experts and human rights organizations are raising questions about why police used the chemical. In the panic that ensued, many were trampled, leaving at least 125 people dead.
  • Police fired tear gas as fans rushed onto the field.
    Observers say the police reaction made things worse.
    Sorrow and anger mix as families and Arema supporters mourn the victims.
    While deaths are rare at soccer games, aggressive policing can light a match.
    A fan says he can still hear the ‘voices screaming.’
    This is the latest in a grim history of deadly episodes at soccer stadiums.
Police fired tear gas as fans rushed onto the field.

Soccer fans in Indonesia rushed the field after a professional soccer match on Saturday night, prompting the police to fire tear gas into tightly packed crowds and setting off a stampede that killed more than 125 people, local officials said.

Fans had packed the Kanjuruhan Stadium in Malang, Indonesia, to see the home team —Arema — take on Persebaya Surabaya. After Arema lost the game 3-2, fans rushed the field.

The unrest prompted the police to fire tear gas which caused panic, Inspector General Nico Afinta, the East Java Police chief, said at a news conference. As of Sunday night, 125 people were dead, according to a spokesman for the national police. There were reports that an additional 300 had been injured. The death toll had risen and fallen throughout the day, and police said earlier tolls may have counted some of the dead twice.

The toll made Saturday’s match among the deadliest episodes in the history of soccer. In 1964, at least 300 people died in Peru after an unpopular decision by a referee at a soccer game touched off a riot at the country’s national stadium.

In a televised speech to the nation, President Joko Widodo said he had asked the national police chief to conduct a thorough investigation into what happened and ordered an evaluation of security at soccer matches.

“I regret that this tragedy occurred,” Mr. Joko said. “And I hope this is the last football tragedy in the country.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/10/02 ... a-surabaya
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Another word on Lizzo-gate.
F296E67D-5D5E-45B2-B613-8A8C567EC128.jpeg
F296E67D-5D5E-45B2-B613-8A8C567EC128.jpeg (192.61 KiB) Viewed 557 times
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Cool. I couldn't imagine that the crystal flute was identical to a modern flute (I played one in high school so I know what the keys are like), but I didn't realize how different the very old flute was.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V. plays not only recorders but also modern traverse flutes and traverse flutes in various keys and pitches back to the Renaissance. This requires having a large number of instruments and spending a lot of time practicing on the various types. I have been listening to this for over 45 years. ;)

She also plays fifes. ;)

Mrs. V tells me that Lizzo isn't just someone who played flute in a high school band. She has serious flute chops.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://freedomrockradio.co/news/lizzo- ... tal-flute/
Lizzo playing James Madison‘s flute might have conservative pundits up in arms, but the folks repping the 4th president’s home couldn’t be happier and they’re urging her to make a house call ASAP.

A rep for James Madison’s Montpelier estate tells TMZ … Lizzo now has an open invitation to take a private tour of Madison’s well-preserved estate after she made history with the crystal instrument formerly owned by the prez.

They’re even hoping she’ll put on a performance during her visit — whether it be a planned concert or a simple jam session on the fly!!!

They hope something can be worked out with the Library of Congress to get the crystal flute — which dates back to 1813 — brought there for Lizzo’s set. The estate notes there’s no evidence JM ever played the instrument, so Lizzo could be the first to play Madison’s flute at Madison’s home. Iconic.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

wytoi0o7ftr91.jpg
wytoi0o7ftr91.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 425 times
castigat ridendo mores.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:45 pm
My favorite couple
castigat ridendo mores.
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

An interesting article

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-05/ ... /101481590

Nordic criminal justice: How does it differ from Australia and does it work?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:23 pm Ok, now the really bad news.

:panic:

Good thing I only have one beer a night.
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”