Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Jez, sorry about your foot.

Did I talk about the RadioLab podcast about bit flipping in an election in Belgium at the book club? Cuz if I didn’t, how weird that you described your accident that way. My brother had sent me the link right before I read your post.

That’s what they determined after investigation: a stray ion. The winning reasoning was in the maths, which please don’t ask me to explain.

https://radiolab.org/episodes/bit-flip
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Gosh, that's not a different accent... they are using COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MADE-UP WORDS . How in the heck are they supposed to communicate with the rest of the country or the world?

The English are weird. :biggrin:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Ever watch the streaming series THE FEED? we're (allegedly) getting closer:
https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/business ... index.html
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Azastan
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Azastan »

MsDaisy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:47 pm

You ever run into a Geordie? I did once in a pub in Newcastle and I was completely clueless of what he was saying, but it must have been damn funny because the whole pub was cracking up including my British Mr. :lol:

My maternal grandfather was a Geordie. I never met him, but it seems that when my maternal grandmother got into arguments with him, her greatest insult to be thrown at him was to call him a Geordie.

This becomes much more amusing in context. My Nana was a Brummie, and from the lowest strata of Birmingham's population at that.

Throw into that mix that me mum was born in, and grew up in Moss Side, one of Manchester's most notorious districts.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Slim Cognito »

One of our favorite movies is Snatch where Brad Pitt played a Pikey with an completely unintelligible accent. That was a running joke throughout the movie. I think the only two words I was able to understand was " Periwinkle blue" when ordering a caravan for his mum. I always wondered if that was an accurate portrayal or just dramatic effect? Full disclosure, I love Guy Richie movies.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Azastan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:14 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:47 pm :snippity:

You ever run into a Geordie?
My maternal grandfather was a Geordie. I never met him, but it seems that when my maternal grandmother got into arguments with him, her greatest insult to be thrown at him was to call him a Geordie.
:snippity:
Is that sort of like me calling my Mister a "Bloody Brit" :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Snatch" is in my top ten of movies. Brad Pitt should have been awarded an Oscar. Guy Ritchie movies rock!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Azastan »

MsDaisy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:16 pm
Azastan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:14 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:47 pm :snippity:

You ever run into a Geordie?
Is that sort of like me calling my Mister a "Bloody Brit" :lol:
No, much worse, because I'm sure that 'bloody' proceeded 'Geordie'.

I don't think it's quite as pejorative now as it used to be. Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) was born in Glasgow, but raised near Newcastle, so he's managed to make being a Geordie not quite the lowest of the low nowadays. You don't want to be a Scouser, though.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

So here's something that happened today. The wife scheduled an appointment with some window people to get a quote on replacing half a dozen big windows. An important fact here is that we have separate bank accounts. We split the bills. We give each other money as necessary. But ultimately, her money is her money and if she wants to spend it on windows, then more power to her. I don't care about the windows. She recently got screens put on a bunch of windows. I didn't care, and was not involved. I don't want to be involved with these windows either. It's boring and I have no interest in it. So the window people ask her what my name is. She says, well, it doesn't matter because he's not involved and is going to be at work in his office when you give the estimate anyway. They flat out refused! They said that they wouldn't touch the job without me being there and giving my approval. Needless to say, that company lost some business today. There are plenty of other window companies out there that will be willing to do the job.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

The only rational reason I can think of are:
Insurance and ownership

Ie to be sure that the owners name is on the contract and that there working on site won’t put them in a potential legal mess if the contract doesn’t have the correct names on it.

Anything else and they just don’t want the business
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

:eek:
Hospital patient arrested for allegedly switching off neighbor’s ‘noisy’ oxygen machine

A hospital patient has been arrested after she allegedly twice switched off the oxygen equipment on which a fellow patient depended because it was too noisy, German authorities have said.

The public prosecutor’s office in the southwest German city of Mannheim obtained a warrant for the 72-year-old woman’s arrest and she was brought before the magistrate and investigating judge of Mannheim Local Court on Wednesday.

She was later admitted to a “correctional facility,” the police headquarters and public prosecutor’s office in Mannheim said in a statement.

The woman allegedly turned off the main switch of the oxygen equipment some time before 8:00 pm on Tuesday, “after feeling disturbed by the noise emanating from (it),” the statement said.

“Although the suspect was informed by hospital staff that the oxygen supply was a vital measure, she allegedly turned off the device again at around 9:00 pm,” it continued.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/02/europe/w ... index.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

The hardest accent I ever had to decipher was a movie about a Scottish kid that wanted to become a whiskey taster. Fascinating movie, but I had to turn on subtitles.
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

Skit about Scottish with Catherine Tate & (Scottish) David Tennant
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump grasps the importance of the National Archives to democracy. Why don’t Democrats?

BY STEVEN L. KATZ, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR -
12/02/22 1:00 PM ET

Democrats continue to revel in the results of the midterm elections as a validation of democracy in the United States. Yet, with the exception of the United States House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the United States Capitol, Democrats in Washington have studiously avoided championing the one agency that is central to the survival of our constitutional democracy: the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

There is no archivist of the United States. The position has been vacant for more than seven months, throughout the malevolence and calamity, the rampant destruction of government records and constitutional crises at the hands of former President Trump.

President Biden nominated a new archivist in August 2022. The nomination has been deadlocked in a Senate committee since the end of September. Unless the nominee is confirmed by the end of 2022, Americans need look no further than the National Archives and Records Administration to see the continuing and coercive fragility of our democracy on display.

Trump and his followers grasped the importance of the National Archives to our democracy — to dismantle it. Why haven’t the Democrats in Washington recognized NARA’s essential importance to our democracy — to bolster it?

It is no accident that three of the most concrete causes that may lead to the prosecution of Donald Trump by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) concern NARA’s essential and exclusive responsibilities to our constitutional democracy.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-se ... democrats/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:00 am
Trump grasps the importance of the National Archives to democracy. Why don’t Democrats?

BY STEVEN L. KATZ, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR -
12/02/22 1:00 PM ET

Democrats continue to revel in the results of the midterm elections as a validation of democracy in the United States. Yet, with the exception of the United States House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6 Attack on the United States Capitol, Democrats in Washington have studiously avoided championing the one agency that is central to the survival of our constitutional democracy: the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

There is no archivist of the United States. The position has been vacant for more than seven months, throughout the malevolence and calamity, the rampant destruction of government records and constitutional crises at the hands of former President Trump.

President Biden nominated a new archivist in August 2022. The nomination has been deadlocked in a Senate committee since the end of September. Unless the nominee is confirmed by the end of 2022, Americans need look no further than the National Archives and Records Administration to see the continuing and coercive fragility of our democracy on display.

Trump and his followers grasped the importance of the National Archives to our democracy — to dismantle it. Why haven’t the Democrats in Washington recognized NARA’s essential importance to our democracy — to bolster it?

It is no accident that three of the most concrete causes that may lead to the prosecution of Donald Trump by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) concern NARA’s essential and exclusive responsibilities to our constitutional democracy.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-se ... democrats/

I cannot find any information about why the holdup in the Senate Confirmation process, (but might it have something to do with the 50-50 Senate and the evenly split committees? - if so I suspect the holdup is due to Republicans NOT Democrats) but I did find this:

Debra Steidel Wall: Acting Archivist of the United States National Archives and Records Administration
Debra Steidel Wall became Acting Archivist of the United States in May 2022 upon the retirement of 10th Archivist of the United States David S. Ferriero. She has served as Deputy Archivist of the United States since July 2011, and previously served as the agency’s Chief of Staff (2008-2011), as Senior Special Assistant to the Archivist (2005-2007), and before that as Director of the Lifecycle Coordination Staff, where she led staff responsible for developing policies, processes, systems and standards relating to the life cycle of records. She was the initial program manager of the Archival Research Catalog (ARC) database and other archival information technology projects, was Deputy Director of the Information Resources Policy and Projects Division, and worked as an archivist in the Motion Picture, Sound, and Video unit.

Debra joined NARA in 1991 as an archivist trainee and holds an undergraduate degree in history and government from Georgetown University, and a graduate degree in film from the American University. She has a master’s certificate in information technology project management from George Washington University, and has served as a member of the International Council on Archives (ICA) Committee on Information Technology and Committee on Descriptive Standards. She serves as NARA’s representative on the Congressional Women’s Suffrage Centennial Commission.

Areas of special focus include archival description and metadata, digitizing for public access, electronic records and digital preservation, and employee engagement.
Before you MAGA nuts lay into the 'acting' bit, how many 'acting' department heads did the OFG have?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

all I've seen is
In September, Dr. Shogan appeared before the US Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs (HSGAC) in accordance with the Senate’s advice and consent capacity for presidential appointments. One week later, the Committee, which is currently evenly divided 7-7 reflecting the Senate’s 50-50 split, voted on Dr. Shogan’s nomination and deadlocked along party lines. This has complicated the AOTUS appointment process, but it does not mean the process is at the end of the road. HSGAC Chair Gary Peters has said that he will work with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to move the nomination forward for a vote in the full Senate.
https://connect.archivists.org/discussi ... d-states-1
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

This is bizarro! Didn't know where to put this. Jack Parr interviewing Fidel Castro. Sweet accolades to Fidel by Parr, and Ed Sullivan.

keith

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

I have been cleaning out the workshop shed (it was never used as a garage) lately and coming up with some extraordinary crap.

I just went through this big plastic bin that was filled with jars and packages of nails. I discovered five (5) 500gram packages of nails 40mm x 2.00mm. (500 grams is a bit over a pound for the unmetrified)

There was
  • bullet head bright
  • bullet head galvanized
  • bullet head processed (glue coated)
  • flat head galvanized
  • flat head hot tip galvanized
Four out of five of those packages looked untouched, the fifth was maybe down by a third. Why did I 'need' all those various kinds of the same size nail. And why didn't I use them at the time? Now there was a lot of other nails, of varying sizes and preparation and quantity of course, but a couple of these 40x200 packages were so old that the plastic was brittle and it almost disintegrated in my hand.

I actually cannot remember the last time I used nails. Screws, dowels, bisquits, yes, but when did I last drive a nail?

I just can't remember why I 'needed' all these nails.

ETA: What is the difference between 'galvanized' and 'hot tip galvanized' and what would the difference in application be that required a different treatment of the nail?
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

Different terminology, bullet head is what I would call a finish nail. Nail it in close then use a nail sink to sink head below surface. Then fill with wood putty.
That’s what you would use for exposed wood. Trim etc.
hot dipped (hot tip?) galv has more zinc on it so would be more recommended outside, harsher environments probably. Other galvanized is electro-coated like e-coat on car. Very thin layer.
Glue coated I would call cement coated (CC). That would be if you didn’t want the wood to pull apart.
I’ve bought an assortment in the past if I didn’t know exactly what I needed. Then wouldn’t bother to take them back.
I have glass jars I keep stuff like that in.
keith

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Reddog wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:52 am Different terminology, bullet head is what I would call a finish nail. Nail it in close then use a nail sink to sink head below surface. Then fill with wood putty.
That’s what you would use for exposed wood. Trim etc.
hot dipped (hot tip?) galv has more zinc on it so would be more recommended outside, harsher environments probably. Other galvanized is electro-coated like e-coat on car. Very thin layer.
Glue coated I would call cement coated (CC). That would be if you didn’t want the wood to pull apart.
I’ve bought an assortment in the past if I didn’t know exactly what I needed. Then wouldn’t bother to take them back.
I have glass jars I keep stuff like that in.
Thanks for that. I just can't for the life of me remember why I got that variety and didn't use them. The glue coated (glue melts from heat of driving and creates a more permanent bond.) I used some for something associated with the deck I built I think, but surely most of what I did would have been with decking nails (of which I have about 30 left). This is just weird.

Oh, well. The local men's shed is about to inherit a crap load of nails (and screws too, I'm getting rid of my store of 'common' screws).
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

My new favorite toy! :biggrin:
I'd never seen one before we went to the cousin's house in Philly and they had one. Mine was in my mailbox when I got home from BJ's while ago with some nice fresh everything bagels. It's really sharp and zips right through the bagels like butter. :thumbsup:
Bagel Guillotine .png
Bagel Guillotine .png (104.9 KiB) Viewed 365 times
https://a.co/d/imt3YEV
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I had one of those years ago. I have no idea where it went; probably died.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gupwalla

Hijack This Thread

Post by Gupwalla »

THE NERVE!

Someone just asked me if I won the departmental Ugly Sweater Contest.

I’m wearing my beautiful holiday sweater today! Its feelings are just a little hurt right now.
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Gupwalla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:27 pm THE NERVE!

Someone just asked me if I won the departmental Ugly Sweater Contest.

I’m wearing my beautiful holiday sweater today! Its feelings are just a little hurt right now.
Clearly a case of jealousy, wear it with pride!
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”