Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

jemcanada2

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:25 am Number Two Son is saying "radical," meaning good, which is a word I used a lot in the '60s and '70s. I shall have to train him in the correct use of the terms "groovy," "that's really heavy," and "far out, man" in the coming days. 8-)
I accidentally taught my niece the word bummer when she was around 3. She asked my sister for another cookie and replied “bummer” when my sister told her there weren’t any left. A proud auntie moment. :batting: :batting:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, my parents always claimed my first word was "DAMMIT!" directed at the Tee Vee, for the great sin of static on the screen. My father had set a fine example, and I am his namesake, so I was proud to follow in his footsteps obscenities. . :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Apparently I was fond of SHIP as a toddler, an homage to my father's oft repeated SHIT I overheard while "working" with him in the workshop.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

This is rather interesting to play with if you are into that kind of thing.
Young Adult Migration

How far do people migrate between childhood and young adulthood? Where do they go? How much does one's location during childhood determine the labor markets that one is exposed to in young adulthood?

This project sheds light on these questions using newly constructed and publicly available statistics on the migration patterns of young adults in the United States. Use this resource to discover where people in your hometown moved as young adults.
https://migrationpatterns.org/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

A true artist.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Awesome axe work! (Is it an axe?)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Jemcanada is a good auntie!!

That depths of the seas was skeery! Who'da thunk the Mediterranean and the Caribbean were that deep? :eek:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:10 pm Awesome axe work! (Is it an axe?)
Sheet rock axe. It's a thing (I think Estwing makes one?). A very scary thing. Long handle, good grip, crosshatched head, 2" hatchet blade opposite.

My friend Yeager walked around wearing his in public in some of the roughest neighborhoods. Nobody ever messed with him.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:00 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:14 pm Anyway, Nick Sandmann filed a bunch of defamation lawsuits. Some of the lawsuits were settled, some dismissed. Today's action -

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status ... 6841678849
I bet those suckers that settled with him for seven figures are kicking themselves in the shorts about now.
I remember saying on Oldbow that Sandmann's case rose and fell on "blocked" (and whether it was a statement of fact or opinion), and am now unsurprised that it fell.
Image ImageImage
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

gaetz and jordan.jpg
gaetz and jordan.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 868 times
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

mojosapien wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:49 pm gaetz and jordan.jpg
:rotflmao:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I’ma stealing that!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

wanna join me?
Fox Action Project - What Activists Can Do
Thursday, Jul 28, 2022
5pm PDT
https://events.democrats.org/event/4491 ... ot=3199457
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Tiredretiredlawyer

Flatpoint -

I just shared this link with three of my Facebook groups!

Thanks!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/buffalo ... y-july-28/
BUFFALO SOLDIERS DAY | JULY 28

Buffalo Soldiers Day on July 28th commemorates the formation of the first regular Army regiments comprising African American soldiers in 1866.

#BuffaloSoldiersDay
Congress established the first peacetime all-black regiments in the regular U.S. Army after the end of the Civil War. The Buffalo Soldiers (one of many African-American regiments raised during the Civil War) were the first instituted.

Since they were frontier regiments, Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th and 10th Cavalries protected unsettled lands as pioneers moved westward. They also faced the hardships of the Wild West. During and after the Civil War, Army desertion rates remained high. However, among Buffalo Soldiers, low rates prevailed. They were also noted for their dedication and commitment during the Spanish-American War and other engagements during the late 1800s.

During World War I, each unit received stateside assignments, with some exceptions. Yet, neither unit saw action during World War II. In 1944, the Army activated both regiments and transferred service members to other units, as integration in the military began.
► Show Spoiler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

protected unsettled lands as pioneers moved westward
The American myth — “unsettled lands” people had been living on for thousands of years.

(Major pet peeve.)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I was looking around for Fogbow content on the new “Inflation fighting bill” that Manchin is in support of which has a wide swath of important legislation in it… where would that be?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Big Pharma Has Raised Drug Prices 1,186 Times This Year, Analysis Shows
"We must put an end to drug corporations' unfettered ability to dictate prices at the expense of patients."

JAKE JOHNSON
July 20, 2022

The U.S. pharmaceutical industry exercised its virtually unlimited pricing power to hike costs for patients again this month as Senate Democrats made progress toward a limited deal to regulate out-of-control prescription drug prices, which are forcing millions of people to ration their medication or go without it entirely.

A new analysis released Wednesday by Patients for Affordable Drugs estimates that pharmaceutical companies in the U.S. have raised drug prices 1,186 times so far this year, further padding their bottom lines while intensifying the already overwhelming cost burden for patients.

"Big Pharma continues to raise drug prices with no regard for the health and financial well-being of Americans."
Patients for Affordable Drugs found that between June 24 and July 5, pharmaceutical companies increased prices for 133 products. Pfizer, for instance, hiked the cost of its leukemia medication Besponsa again this month, bringing its per-vial price tag to $21,056.

"This is Pfizer's fourth hike on the cancer drug during the Covid-19 pandemic—even as the company enjoys record-shattering profits from its vaccine," the analysis notes.

The patient group also spotlighted Amgen's price hikes for its autoimmune disease drug Enbrel. The California-based firm's price increases for the medication have exceeded even the record-high U.S. inflation rate.

Amgen's two price hikes for Enbrel this year alone are particularly brazen given that the company has faced recent congressional scrutiny over its business practices

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/ ... ysis-shows
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Man, talk about day of the assholes! Two of them I encountered on my trip to Wegmans today. The first one pulled up along side my car at a light and motioned for me to put the window down, and thinking something was wrong I did. The back of my car is very pro choice and he immediately started a calling me a baby killer and wanted to know how many of my own babies I’d murdered. I called him an asshole, gave him the finger and drove away. The next one was a Wegmans employee. I was looking for the croutons that had always been in the produce section and now the rack they use to be on was gone. I saw a man working there and excused myself and said that I was looking for the croutons that always use to be there and did he know where they’d been moved to and his reply was “not to the produce section” and he walked away. I went to customer service and they were very nice as usual and told what isle they were on. I did tell her about the reply I got from the guy in produce and she apologized for him. I hope he got in trouble for it!
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

HA! I thought I saw that asshole out of the his car before he pulled up beside me and I just went out to put my shopping bags back in the car and notice my "Trust Women Respect Choice" license plate had the bottom right corner bent up. He tried to rip the damn thing off the car! Fucking asshole!
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

via r/parlertrick
ymj34082gle91.jpg
ymj34082gle91.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 579 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

From the land of lock 'em up, USA, headquartered in Louisiana. This is a striking graph.
Public Defendering @fodderyfodder wrote: One thing you should know about Louisiana, Louisiana has an incarceration rate of 1,094 per 100,000 people that means it locks up a higher percentage of its people than ANY DEMOCRACY ON EARTH and far outpaces the nation compared to a national average of 450 people per 100,000.[/qquote]
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I'm in the St. Louis area with Mrs. Shizzle checking in on my 90 year old dad again. Things haven't been going well over the last year or so and more recently my dad has had some issues with falling. We thought we were coming over to help get my dad setup with an assisted living facility. However, things seem to have changed fairly dramatically.

My dad has a completely incompetent doctor but we've had no luck getting him to switch. His doctor's answer to any ailments has been "It's just old age". He's been having increasing trouble with balance, strength and mobility for at least a few years. But it's just old age. Lacking a useful doctor we've started throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. My dad eats like a bird and is pretty thin. My primary concern over the last few years has been to try to get him eating more. I'm over to see him at least once a month and have a pretty good idea of what he eats. I've spent the last year trying to get him to eat more, but it turns out that was a mistake. About a month ago I had an epiphany. I looked at his diet and suddenly realized there's no possible way he was getting the minimum 50 grams of protein a day. So, three weeks ago we came over and put him on a high protein diet.

The difference this week is astonishing. He was using a cane to get around the house three weeks ago and now he rarely needs it. Earlier this week he trimmed all the bushes along the front of the house in one afternoon. He hasn't been able to do that in at least two years. For the last several months it's taken him 4 or 5 tries to get up out of a chair. Now he does it the first time, every time. It's still hesitant and slow but he manages it. In addition, his balance is greatly improved, he's more alert and he falls asleep less during the day. And this change is just in the space of three weeks.

We put up more high protein food in his freezer this week, bought him a bunch of high protein snacks and fed him a whole lot of beef over the last few days. We're still doing research on assisted living facilities and even visited one this week, but I no longer see it as an urgent task on my list. Instead, I'm looking at building a new step with a landing that will make it easier to get in and out of the back door to his patio where he likes to sit and read the paper in the morning. It'll be interesting to see how he's doing in a few more weeks. I just regret not figuring out the protein issue earlier.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”