Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

ChatGPT is in its pre-infancy. I had a discussion about this last night with ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son, and I predict it will not be long before ChatGPT or some other AI can absorb the entire content of WestLaw, and then it will write persuasive and accurate legal research.

The speed of tech is awesome.

Ten years ago, there wasn't even a beginning AI, like the pathetically limited Alexa, which I love anyway. Ten years from now? Look out for AI then. :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:05 pm Ten years ago, there wasn't even a beginning AI,
Oh, come on now.... You don't recall Eliza?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Neon had fun with that stuff on his BBS. Custom coded this program to "chat" with members. She was pretty raunchy in her responses. If you didn't know, you thought she was a legit user --it was a user I was mad at because she was such a slut towards young teen boys

. ALL RIGHT, here we go. Her name was "Angel Jane" and the program I wrote was "Chat with Angel Jane:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Sheriff Eric Flowers discusses inmate's elaborate plot to escape from jail

WPTV News - FL Palm Beaches and Treasure Coast

22 May 2023

Indian River County Sheriff Eric Flowers holds a news conference in which he details how his deputies foiled an elaborate plot by a man who sought to escape from jail, where he was being held without bond.

https://youtu.be/k6CxwlOCuTU

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:27 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:05 pm Ten years ago, there wasn't even a beginning AI,
Oh, come on now.... You don't recall Eliza?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Neon had fun with that stuff on his BBS. Custom coded this program to "chat" with members. She was pretty raunchy in her responses. If you didn't know, you thought she was a legit user --it was a user I was mad at because she was such a slut towards young teen boys

. ALL RIGHT, here we go. Her name was "Angel Jane" and the program I wrote was "Chat with Angel Jane:
Yeah. ELIZA is at least 70 years old.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I know all about ELIZA. Here's the guy who created it, checking his code.

The rest of y'all can join us in the Twenty First Century, the year now is 2023. :oldman: :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

I hit the wrong key. ELIZA is at least 50 years old.

I played with 'her' in 1973 on a CDC6400 computer.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 7:13 am I know all about ELIZA. Here's the guy who created it, checking his code.

The rest of y'all can join us in the Twenty First Century, the year now is 2023. :oldman: :lol:
Is that a deity preparing the tablets for Moses :?:

(or is that Dennis Montgomery working on his Taliban translation software?)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... unty-pool/
Parents shepherding swimsuit clad tots toward a backyard birthday party. Peals of laughter from kids running past an open window, wreathed by blowup floaties and wrapped in dripping towels. The splash of a cannonball in the deep end.
Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.

The sounds of summer fun ripple up from ads for Swimply, an app that allows homeowners to rent out private pools to strangers looking to enjoy cool water under the hot sun. But that seasonal chorus has sharply divided suburban residents of Montgomery County as the local government considers formally regulating the short-term amenity rentals — potentially becoming the first in the nation to do so.

The move shifts the front line of debate over the sharing economy’s frontier to handsome homes and manicured lawns of enclaves just across the D.C. line, where debate about ownership and rights has at times careened into uncomfortable territory. Neighbors have spied on neighbors, reporting unwanted outsiders flocking to their quiet residential streets.

“Our entire block has been disturbed,” Constance Kiggans, a Chevy Chase resident, said in written testimony to the Montgomery County Council. “It is, for all intents and purposes, like having a pool club on the street.”
Apparently, this is nationwide.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Hppy Memorial Day to all Veterans and especially to my dad who fought in WWII where he was shot down twice, once he had to bail out and the second time they rode the plane down. He also fought in the Korean war and Vietnam. When he was in Vietnam I was old enough to be terrified that he might not come home to me and that was the longest year of my life.

He finally came home on Christmas Eve and that that very night it started to snow. Giant snow flakes drifting down like feathers past the street lamps in an other wise perfectly still white night. I got my jacket & boots and climbed out of my bedroom window and just sat against the wall watching the snow fall, relieved my dad was finally home and safe. I've never seen it snow on Christmas Eve again.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Attachments
My Dad 1942.png
My Dad 1942.png (316.56 KiB) Viewed 599 times
paul-newman-1960.jpg
paul-newman-1960.jpg (10.32 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks for sharing your dad, MsDaisy 2
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

What a wonderful memory, Ms. D! And OMG gorgeous - your Dad.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

This whole thread :rotflmao:

MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:48 pm What a wonderful memory, Ms. D! And OMG gorgeous - your Dad.
Yep, he pretty much thought so! :lol: He was a funny guy too. One of my fondest memories when I was about 9 or 10 involved a boy named Charles Flanagan, a kid I hated (because he always teased my handicapped sister). My mother had come looking for me for dinner one day and found me fighting with this little asshole from down the street. At the dinner table she commented to my dad that she had found me fighting with Charles again. He sat directly across the table from me with my mom on my left and my sister on my right. He gave me a look and evil grin and started saying, "Daisy has a boyfriend" over and over and laughing. I hated that little bastard and fussed at my dad to stop but no, he had to keep it up. Luckily (or not) the mashed potatoes were sitting right next to me and I dug my hand in and pulled up a handful and drew back with my right hand and pointed my left index finger at him and shouted, "DON"T YOU DARE SAY THAT AGAIN!!" He pointed his finger at me and said, "Don't you dare throw that at me!" To which I replied "well don't you ever say that again"! But of course he did say it and yep... I let the mash fly as hard as I could throw them. It was kind of a slow motion thing as he turned his head to the side and the potatoes hit him square on the side of the head and proceeded to drip in big clunks off his face. We both jumped up from the table running and I had the lead until I looked back to see how far ahead I was when I saw a big dollop of potatoes fall off his face, and I fell on the stairs laughing hysterically. He finally caught up to me and instead of a whipping me tickled me half to death. He was such a funny guy but he never called my bluff again after that! :lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Cop28 president’s team accused of Wikipedia ‘greenwashing’
Exclusive: UAE using site to ‘control narrative’ amid criticism of oil boss leading climate summit, say critics

Ben Stockton
Tue 30 May 2023 06.00 BST

The Cop28 president, Sultan Al Jaber, has been accused of attempting to “greenwash” his image after it emerged that members of his team had edited Wikipedia pages that highlighted his role as CEO of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc).

Work by Al Jaber’s team on his and the climate summit’s Wikipedia entries include adding a quote from an editorial that said Al Jaber – the United Arab Emirates minister for industry and advanced technology – was “precisely the kind of ally the climate movement needs”. They also suggested that editors remove reference to a multibillion-dollar oil pipeline deal he signed in 2019, the Centre for Climate Reporting and the Guardian can reveal.

“Oil companies and their CEOs are taking greenwash to a whole new level – seizing control of global climate conferences, then getting their own employees to airbrush out criticism of their blatant hypocrisy on Wikipedia,” said Caroline Lucas, the Green party MP.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-al-jaber
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

Mel Blanc's birthday!
Suranis

Hijack This Thread

Post by Suranis »

Heh.

Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Hijack This Thread

Post by Suranis »

A Nigerian perspective on US "Black culture."

A US Black Woman weeps that Nigerian Legal Professionals wear gowns and wigs. The horror of Colonialism! *sob*

He responds to a US Black woman complaining that she does not feel safe as a "Black Woman," in 3 countries, he invites her to a country where she can feel safe as a Black Woman - Nigeria.

Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

A black women be safe in Nigeria? Better not move into the Muslim dominated areas though :blackeye:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/charles-mans ... f11330284f

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California appeals court said Tuesday that Leslie Van Houten, who participated in two killings at the direction of cult leader Charles Manson in 1969, should be released from prison on parole.

The appellate court’s ruling reverses an earlier decision by Gov. Gavin Newsom, who rejected parole for Van Houten in 2020. She has been recommended for parole five times since 2016. All of those recommendations were rejected by either Newsom or former Gov. Jerry Brown.

Newsom could request that California Attorney General Rob Bonta petition the state Supreme Court to stop her release. Bonta’s office referred questions to Newsom’s office, which didn’t respond to queries about possible next steps.

Van Houten, now in her 70s, is serving a life sentence for helping Manson and other followers kill Leno LaBianca, a grocer in Los Angeles, and his wife, Rosemary.

Newsom has said that Van Houten still poses a danger to society. In rejecting her parole, he said she offered an inconsistent and inadequate explanation for her involvement with Manson at the time of the killings.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock:
3 more GOP governors sending National Guard troops to US-Mexico border

SARAH RANKIN
Wed, May 31, 2023 at 7:24 PM GMT+2

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The governors of Virginia, West Virginia and South Carolina on Wednesday joined a growing list of Republican leaders sending their state National Guard soldiers or other state law enforcement officers to the U.S. border with Mexico.

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, who is considered a possible presidential aspirant, announced an executive order directing the deployment of 100 Virginia National Guard soldiers and 21 support personnel. South Carolina's Henry McMaster and West Virginia's Jim Justice announced their deployments shortly thereafter, also in response to a request from Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.

The announcements bring to at least eight the number of Republican-led states deploying soldiers or offering other assistance in the weeks since Abbott appealed for help.

“The ongoing border crisis facing our nation has turned every state into a border state,” Youngkin said in a statement. “As leadership solutions at the federal level fall short, states are answering the call to secure our southern border, reduce the flow of fentanyl, combat human trafficking and address the humanitarian crisis."

President Joe Biden announced in early May plans to send 1,500 active-duty troops to the border, in addition to the 2,500 National Guard members already there. Those military personnel were tasked with data entry, warehouse support and other administrative duties so that U.S. Customs and Border Protection can focus on fieldwork, the White House said.

But the Virginia deployment and others from Republican-led states have specifically been in support of Texas’ Operation Lone Star, which is separate from the active duty and National Guard troops working with the Customs and Border Protection.

Abbott launched Lone Star in 2021, saying that the Biden administration was essentially welcoming illegal immigration. Critics have questioned the effectiveness of the multi-billion dollar operation. Some arrests, including for low-level amounts of marijuana during traffic stops, appeared to have little to do with border security, and some Texas National Guard troops initially complained of low morale, late paychecks and having little to do.

Abbott's request this month came through the Emergency Management Assistance Compact, which facilitates state-level mutual aid nationwide. Youngkin and McMaster also joined other governors in Austin last week to discuss border policies.

McMaster’s news release said South Carolina’s mission is “in the planning phase,” with a goal of deployment by July 1. Justice said he had approved the deployment of as many as 50 West Virginia National Guard soldiers and airmen for 30 days.

Youngkin’s order said the Virginia troops will answer to a military commander during a 30-day deployment, not any local civilian authorities. The operating cost of the mission is $3.1 million, spokeswoman Macaulay Porter said in an email.

Youngkin, a former private equity executive who is barred under Virginia law from seeking a second consecutive term, is frequently mentioned as a possible 2024 presidential contender. He said earlier this month that he had no plans to launch such a bid this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-v ... 09101.html
RVInit

Hijack This Thread

Post by RVInit »

In the space of four years, the orange pus bag singlehandedly turned the tide of enlisted military from being an almost a solid wall of red to more of a "purple" voting block. He did that by lying right in front of large groups of them throughout his four years in the White House. Let's hope that all these demoralized law enforcement and national guard are listening to the way their deployments are being characterized and comparing to the reality of their deployment. Sometimes that's what it takes to break through to people - they have to be personally affected in order for reality to set in.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: :o
Lake Maggiore deaths: why were Italian and Israeli secret service agents on a boat in northern Italy?
Four died after a vessel carrying 21 passengers – all with links to Italian and Israeli intelligence – capsized, and speculation is growing about the nature of the trip

Angela Giuffrida in Rome and Oliver Holmes
Fri 2 Jun 2023 08.49 BST

It reads like a pitch for a thriller.

A group of tourists board a boat on a beautiful lake at the foot of the Alps. The boat capsizes in a sudden storm. Four drown as others swim to safety. In the days that follow, as authorities struggle to trace hotel bookings for the passengers, it emerges all were affiliated with the Italian and Israeli secret services.

Five days after Gooduria, a 16-metre houseboat, was swallowed up by Lake Maggiore, there is growing speculation over what its passengers were doing in this corner of northern Italy.

On Thursday, a police source working on the investigation confirmed that eight of the boat’s 21 passengers either currently or formerly served with Italy’s secret service, and 13 had ties with Israel’s.

Two of the victims – Claudio Alonzi, 62, and Tiziana Barnobi, 53 – had worked for the Italian intelligence authority. Another was a 50-year-old retired agent with Israel’s Mossad spy agency. The fourth was Anya Bozhkova, originally from Russia who was crewing the boat along with her Italian husband, Claudio Carminati, the boat’s skipper. Carminati is being investigated over the deaths.

Carminati and Bozhkova, who was reportedly unable to swim, ran a company called Love Lake and provided a “boat and breakfast” service on Gooduria, which only had a capacity for 15 passengers.

The group boarded the boat, which was registered in the Netherlands, at the Piccaluga shipyard in Lisanza on Sunday morning for what was reported to have been a birthday celebration.

The police source said the group toured the Borromean islands, an archipelago on the western side of the lake, and stopped off for lunch on Isola Pescatori (Fishermen’s island). The boat capsized in a sudden and violent storm on the lake on Sunday evening, with the survivors either swimming to shore or being pulled to safety by other vessels.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... hern-italy
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

First night with the CPAP, which btw make no noise. My sleep study showed 33.4 events per hour.

This morning the readout on the machine showed 0.2 events per hour.

I would say improvement.

It is going to take a bit of getting used to. Took me awhile to get comfortable and fall asleep, but I ended up with a half mask. The full mask bothered my eyes too much, having it completely over my nose. This one has a small cut out where your nose goes which creates a seal around the end of your nose when the air flow begins. It also covers the mouth.

I only half woke up once that I remember.

So yeah, I think this will help.

ETA: ResMed 10 machine; F&P Evora full mask.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jez wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:28 am First night with the CPAP, which btw make no noise. My sleep study showed 33.4 events per hour.

This morning the readout on the machine showed 0.2 events per hour.

I would say improvement.
:groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”