Hijack This Thread

sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:12 am I guess he means the whole state should be given back to the original "owners," as they were there first? :confuzzled:

Racist moron. :mad:
:snippity: state Sen. Shane Morigeau, a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes, :snippity:
Morigeau said that if legislators want to consider any alternative, it should be “giving the land back that was taken in the first place, not robbing the last bit of land and resources that we have."

Republican Sen. Keith Regier is the racist asshole.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:30 am
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:12 am I guess he means the whole state should be given back to the original "owners," as they were there first? :confuzzled:

Racist moron. :mad:
:snippity: state Sen. Shane Morigeau, a member of the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes, :snippity:
Morigeau said that if legislators want to consider any alternative, it should be “giving the land back that was taken in the first place, not robbing the last bit of land and resources that we have."

Republican Sen. Keith Regier is the racist asshole.
Yes.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Federal agency considers ban on gas stoves following report linking them to childhood asthma
A study released last week found gas stoves were the cause of 12.7% of childhood asthma cases in the United States.

David Knowles·Senior Editor
Mon, January 9, 2023 at 10:30 PM GMT+1

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is considering a federal ban on gas stoves in response to a growing body of scientific research has linked them to a variety of health problems.

“This is a hidden hazard,” Richard Trumka Jr., an agency commissioner, told Bloomberg in an interview. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”

The agency will begin public comment sessions this winter as it begins weighing restrictions on emissions from gas stoves that have found to be harmful to human health.

Last week, a study in the peer-reviewed International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health concluded that gas stoves, which are used in roughly 40% of U.S. homes, were responsible for 12.7% of childhood asthma cases in the country. In all, the study found, gas stoves are responsible for giving asthma to 650,000 children in the U.S.

“When the gas stove is turned on, and when it’s burning at that hot temperature, it releases a number of air pollutants,” Brady Seals, a co-author of the study and the carbon-free buildings manager at the energy policy think tank RMI, told Yahoo News. “So these are things like particulate matter, carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide, along with others. So, for example, nitrogen dioxide is a known respiratory irritant. And the EPA, in 2016, said that short-term exposure to NO2 causes respiratory effects like asthma attacks.”

The dangers of using gas stoves have long been known. In 2013, a meta-analysis published in the International Journal of Epidemiology found that children living in homes with gas stoves were 42% more likely to experience symptoms of asthma than those that lived with electric ranges and ovens, while 24% were more likely to be diagnosed with lifetime asthma.

“Cooking with gas stoves creates nitrogen dioxide and releases additional tiny airborne particles known as PM2.5, both of which are lung irritants. Nitrogen dioxide has been linked with childhood asthma,” Wynne Armand, a physician at Massachusetts General Hospital, wrote in September at Harvard Health Publishing. “During 2019 alone, almost two million cases worldwide of new childhood asthma were estimated to be due to nitrogen dioxide pollution.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-agen ... 57325.html
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

i'm confused by this. Hasn't the use of gas stoves decreased, while the incidence of childhood asthma has increased?

https://wapo.st/3GuifIj (gift link)
About two-thirds of Americans already cook with electric stoves.
(I grew up with gas and still have gas in my rental-no choice. No asthma, not that that means anything. Induction sounds interesting.)
Edit: A recent Stanford University study found that gas stoves emit more methane, and could contribute more to climate change, than previously thought. They are also a significant source of the pollutant nitrogen dioxide. In the short term, headaches like those Deora experienced are common. Over time, that indoor air quality can have negative effects on health, exacerbating cardiovascular illness in certain populations and worsening asthma symptoms. Given these concerns, as well as stricter environmental standards, several locations, including New York City, have banned gas appliances in new construction.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:05 pm i'm confused by this. Hasn't the use of gas stoves decreased, while the incidence of childhood asthma has increased?

https://wapo.st/3GuifIj (gift link)
About two-thirds of Americans already cook with electric stoves.
(I grew up with gas and still have gas in my rental-no choice. No asthma, not that that means anything. Induction sounds interesting.)
Edit: A recent Stanford University study found that gas stoves emit more methane, and could contribute more to climate change, than previously thought. They are also a significant source of the pollutant nitrogen dioxide. In the short term, headaches like those Deora experienced are common. Over time, that indoor air quality can have negative effects on health, exacerbating cardiovascular illness in certain populations and worsening asthma symptoms. Given these concerns, as well as stricter environmental standards, several locations, including New York City, have banned gas appliances in new construction.
I'd think gas furnaces would likely have a similar effect
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

UK
BrewDog boss pays almost £500k to unhappy ‘solid gold’ beer can winners
James Watt says bungled promotion in which cans were only gold plated looked ‘dishonest and disingenuous’

BrewDog hid 50 gold cans in cases of beer but some winners complained when they discovered they were not solid gold. Photograph: Brewdog
Mark Sweney
Mon 9 Jan 2023 18.51 GMT

The chief executive of BrewDog has paid out almost £500,000 from his own pocket to winners of a bungled “solid gold” beer can promotion which he has admitted made the controversial brewer look “dishonest and disingenuous”.

James Watt said he got so personally carried away with the Willy Wonka-inspired promotion, which hid 50 gold cans in cases of beer, that he made some “costly mistakes” that misled treasure hunters.

He said he mistakenly believed the cans were made of solid gold – they were in fact made mostly of brass and only plated with the precious metal – which the UK advertising regulator later said would have meant they were actually worth £363,000 each.

“The initial tweets I sent out told customers of the prospect of finding ‘solid gold cans’,” Watt wrote on LinkedIn, claiming each one was still worth £15,000. “It was a silly mistake. Things started to go wrong when the winners got their cans.”

A number of the winners contacted the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which regulates advertising and marketing in the UK, complaining that the “solid gold” claim was misleading.

The ASA subsequently upheld the complaints about the marketing with the false claim appearing in three of 50 promotional tweets, according to Watt.

“Those three tweets were enough to do a lot of damage,” said Watt. “It blew up into a media storm. The gold can saga was headline news. The campaign launch morphed into a frenzy, with attacks coming in from all quarters. It got pretty grim. I should have been more careful.”

Watt admitted that his initial tweets were misleading and that the company “deserved the flak”. “We were made to look dishonest and disingenuous and took a real hammering,” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... an-winners
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

On the Administration Control Panel on Formerly Fogbow, it says that the forum was born on Friday, January 23rd, 2009 at precisely 7:00 pm (Eastern US and Canada). That's the birthday of the antibirther community (though there were blogs that predated us).

Brian and Justin created it as Politijab. Fogbow didn't exist on the day it was started, and for many months thereafter. :? There's a whole history, but when Fogbow was born (on September 10, 2010), I incorporated the entire database of Politijab, with permission, of course, and then pruned it of non-antibirther political threads, and here we are. That's how the starting date of Formerly Fogbow is a year and a half before the domain name was registered. Which is metaphysically absurd, man.

So January 23rd isn't really the birthday of Fogbow exactly, but it's the birthday of this community, is more accurate.

Except we're not an antibirther community anymore, having morphed along with the actual real Universe during the course of the last fourteen years. We're an older, wiser, better community than where we started, and I can't wait to experience both 2023 AND 2024 with you and your elk. ❤️

Two weeks from yesterday, we turn 14. :thumbsup:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:like: ... and it's all Obamas fault ;)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Yeah, but it puts us on Gaetz's radar.
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

My gut says modern draft-free homes make it easier for bad stuff to accumulate indoors.

But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:05 pm i'm confused by this. Hasn't the use of gas stoves decreased, while the incidence of childhood asthma has increased?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Fisher price rock & play sleepers recall, just a head's up for those with infants in the families...

Fisher-Price reminds consumers of 2019 recall of Rock ‘n Play Sleepers after more deaths
Fisher-Price has reannounced its 2019 recall of the Rock ‘n Play Sleepers on Monday after at least eight infant deaths occurred after the initial recall, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

“On April 12, 2019, at the time the original recall was announced, over 30 fatalities were reported to have occurred in the Rock ‘n Play Sleepers after the infants rolled from their back to their stomach or side while unrestrained, or under other circumstances,” the commission said in a statement. “Since the recall, approximately 70 additional fatalities have been reported, which includes at least 8 fatalities that were reported to have occurred after the initial recall announcement.”

“Approximately 100 deaths have reportedly occurred while infants were in the products,” the CPSC indicated. “Fisher-Price notes that in some of the reports, it has been unable to confirm the circumstances of the incidents or that the product was a Rock ‘n Play Sleeper.”

The CPSC indicated that “consumers should stop using the Rock ‘n Play immediately and contact Fisher-Price for a refund or voucher. It is illegal to sell or distribute the recalled sleepers.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/09/business ... index.html
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We have a gas stove in our house, which was built in 2006. To replace it with an electric stove would require installing a 40 or 50 amp 240v circuit from the panel at the far end of the garage all the way to nearly the opposite corner of the house. That would require 40' of surface conduit through the garage and tearing up another 40' or so of the ceiling in our finished basement. The wire alone would run in excess of $500 and I'm guessing that having the job done by an electrician would cost at least a couple of grand and probably more. That's not counting the drywall repair.

I could afford that if push came to shove and can do it myself to save money. However, I'm probably not the typical case. Gas stoves are widespread in older homes throughout the country. A large number of these homes already have marginal power service and will require a complete service upgrade with a new panel to add a circuit of that size. Now we're talking about $7,000 or more just to run the wire. There's no way lower and lower-middle income people can absorb that kind of cost. So those gas stoves will get older, less reliable and produce more toxins as they age. The lower income population will once again pay the price unless we're going to cough up a whole lot of money to fix the problem. That seems highly unlikely. This is a terrible idea.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Seems to me a good exhaust hood that vents to the outside would do a heck of a lot to mitigate dangers from a gas stove.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:33 pm Seems to me a good exhaust hood that vents to the outside would do a heck of a lot to mitigate dangers from a gas stove.
Another relic of days gone by :(
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:33 pm Seems to me a good exhaust hood that vents to the outside would do a heck of a lot to mitigate dangers from a gas stove.
We had a fan over the stove that vented to the outside.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

The range fans in a lot of homes don't vent outside. Our fan just runs through a filter and recirculates back into the room. If I recall correctly, one of the issues is that gas stoves leak methane even when they're off. In my earlier post it may have sounded like I didn't think it's an issue. I understand the issue but I don't think the complete ban of gas stoves is a viable option. It seems like gas furnaces and water heaters would have the same problem but I haven't heard about those.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Whoa, I just noticed Kriselda is on Asgard, but I personally saw Asgard was destroyed (I saw that several times :oopsy:), in Thor: Ragnarok.

I hope she got out in time! But wait, she's still posting here, she must be okay ... oh, it says here:
The surviving Asgardians relocated to Earth, transforming the town of Tønsberg, Norway into the nation of New Asgard.
Ah, that explains it. Whew! :thumbsup:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:31 am We have a gas stove in our house, which was built in 2006. To replace it with an electric stove would require installing a 40 or 50 amp 240v circuit from the panel at the far end of the garage all the way to

:snippity:
Friends of ours live near a construction site - they are removing railway level crossings by putting the lines in a nice new ditch they are digging. They have to move several gas lines.

They are being very communicative about each step. Two weeks ago, they turned off the gas to do some work. Then plumbers came by to turn the gas on. They fired up all the gas burners on high and left them on to ensure any air bubbles were pushed out. They did not turn on the exhaust fan. I dont know how long it was left on, but when the job was finished, the decorative wrap on the cabinet doors above the stove were heat warped. They called to complain. Gas company said "you must be noncompliant with the code we'll send someone to check". So the range hood is noncompluant and the gas is turned off.

Friends decide to go electric - induction. The oven is already electric and they just need to plug in the new one, right? Nope. They need another circuit and an emergency cut off switch. The house is about the same age as yours.

So a month after the gas company melted their range hood, they still have no cook top.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:31 am To replace it with an electric stove would require installing a 40 or 50 amp 240v circuit from the panel at the far end of the garage all the way to nearly the opposite corner of the house. That would require 40' of surface conduit through the garage and tearing up another 40' or so of the ceiling in our finished basement. The wire alone would run in excess of $500 and I'm guessing that having the job done by an electrician would cost at least a couple of grand and probably more. That's not counting the drywall repair.
I bought an induction range last Spring. I did not realize that I did not have a 50amp wire running from the fuse box to my kitchen, and that the range would not perform up to potential on just 30 or 40 amps. I let it ride for 8 months or so. Then, the day after Christmas, we had serious winds that resulted in my gas heater breaking and needing a replacement. The current electrical code now requires new heaters to have either a dedicated surge protector or a whole house surge protector. We opted for the latter. When the heating company installs the surge protector on Friday, they will also run a 50amp wire to my range. I will see if the induction range was really worth the money.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

tek wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:22 am My gut says modern draft-free homes make it easier for bad stuff to accumulate indoors.

But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
tek, i read that that’s the case. Around Nov ‘21 I started seeing articles about indoor air pollution, particularly at holidays with baking. Measured on Thanksgiving Day almost every home in this study had worse air inside that outside. We hadn’t noticed it before cuz our homes were leakier than today.

Silicone baking things are big polluters, dang it.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.narcity.com/el-paso/woman-s ... meat-thief
A Texas woman allegedly stole over $1,000 in fajita meat from multiple grocery stores in the state, including one location of the beloved H-E-B store.

The Laredo Police Department arrested Minerva San Juanita Lopez in Laredo, TX, on Sunday, January 8, on three felony arrest warrants for "theft of property" at various meat markets, according to the Laredo Morning Times Online (LMTonline).

Authorities first caught on to Lopez when they were called to a local H-E-B by employees who reported a woman stealing five fajita meat packages that totaled $833.30, according to LMTonline. The outlet adds that the police verified her identity via surveillance footage and then made a Facebook post offering a cash reward for information on the 47-year-old.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:20 pm Whoa, I just noticed Kriselda is on Asgard, but I personally saw Asgard was destroyed (I saw that several times :oopsy:), in Thor: Ragnarok.

I hope she got out in time! But wait, she's still posting here, she must be okay ... oh, it says here:
The surviving Asgardians relocated to Earth, transforming the town of Tønsberg, Norway into the nation of New Asgard.
Ah, that explains it. Whew! :thumbsup:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Just remember what Odin said: "Asgard is not a place, it's a people."
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1 ... eparations
‘This is not charity’: A predominantly white congregation attempts reparations

This article was co-published by Prism and Next City as part of our Solutions for Economic Equity partnership, highlighting how low-income and marginalized BIPOC communities are cultivating, building, and seizing economic justice in cities across the U.S.

Today’s residents of a liberal bastion like Berkeley may grimace when recalling this history and its enduring legacy in even the most progressive cities. But Susan Russell invokes it all the same when making the case for the Black Wealth Builders Fund, a loan program designed to bolster Black homeownership in communities in California’s East Bay, the eastern region of the San Francisco Bay Area where Berkeley is situated.

Russell is a member of the Arlington Community Church, United Church of Christ (UCC), in Kensington, just north of Berkeley. Following the 2020 murder of George Floyd, Russell and fellow church members created an anti-racist discussion group in which they began ideating on what they could do to meet the moment as a predominantly white congregation.

After speaking with several Black community leaders across the East Bay, it didn’t take long for an idea to surface: “Housing was all anybody wanted to say, so we just went with what they told us we needed to be working on,” said Russell.

Launched in 2021, the Black Wealth Builders Fund offers zero-interest loans ranging from $7,500 to $20,000, helping make the 3% minimum downpayment mortgage option geared to low- and moderate-income homebuyers accessible to Black neighbors looking to purchase their first home.

The fund is supported by two trusted community partners: the Richmond Community Foundation, which houses and administers the fund, and the Richmond Neighborhood Housing Services (RNHS), which identifies qualified candidates and supports them on their journeys into homeownership.

The initial fundraising goal of $50,000 was met during the Lenten offering, and the church has since continued to raise more than $330,000 as of early December. So far, the fund has assisted 21 families in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. One community member, who had been in an RNHS program since 2018, was able to purchase a home this past summer by accessing the fund.

“We were excited that there would be another resource outside of institutions that the clients we serve could leverage,” said Nikki Beasley, RNHS executive director. “It’s just an added value of getting people over the finish line
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I've been working on my blog a lot today, trying to get some new things working, and I discovered typing all 22 characters in earthboundvalkyrie.com was going to make my mind explode, so I've moved my blog to a new address.

You can now find it at https://EBVs.blog

If you've visited, thank you very much! If not, I hope you will, and if you'd like to help me test my comments feature by leaving one - even something silly - I'd be much obliged. :D
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Health Nerd is one of the physicians I follow on Twitter. This is the start of a thread he wrote about the recent paper on gas stoves and asthma.

Return to “General Stuff”