Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:00 am So, this morning - did I wake up at my new time of 5:30am, or my old time of 04:30am?
I got up at Kitteh Time. My kittehs, especially my KittyBear, like to go out in the garage in the pitch dark every morning, so they can determine the presence or absence of small reptiles of the lizard variety. Or possibly small mammals, like mousies.

And it's pitch dark in the garage an extra hour now, because of the night people. So mah kittehs are loving life right now. :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:51 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:00 am So, this morning - did I wake up at my new time of 5:30am, or my old time of 04:30am?
I got up at Kitteh Time. My kittehs, especially my KittyBear, like to go out in the garage in the pitch dark
Yeah, but it is not pitch dark to them.

They can't see the color spectrum as we do, but they are far better hunting in the dark.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Massive number of US citizens having heart attacks
Women can now swim topless in Berlin’s swimming pools. The move reflects Germany’s tradition of nudity

By Sophie Tanno, CNN
Updated 10:46 PM EDT, Sun March 12, 2023

CNN — Women in Berlin can now swim topless in the city’s public pools if they choose to – just as men can.

As well as being hailed as a step forward for gender equality in the German capital, the measure introduced this week is symptomatic of Germany’s love of Freikoerperkultur – literally translated as ‘free body culture’ – which has its roots in the late 19th century.

Berlin’s authorities took action after a female swimmer said she was prevented from attending one of the city’s pools without covering her chest in December 2022. The woman lodged a complaint with the city’s ombudsman’s office at the Senate Department for Justice, Diversity and Anti-Discrimination.

Authorities agreed that the woman had been a victim of discrimination and this week said that all visitors to Berlin’s pools, including women and those who identify as non-binary, are permitted to go topless.

It follows a similar incident at a Berlin water park in the summer of 2021. French woman Gabrielle Lebreton sought financial compensation from the city after security guards ordered her to leave the premise when she refused to cover up her breasts.

She was with her five-year-old son when the incident happened. Speaking to German newspaper Die Zeit at the time about why she believed it was gender discrimination, she said: “For me — and I teach this to my son — no, there is no such difference. For both men and women, the breast is a secondary sexual characteristic but men have the freedom to remove their clothes when it is hot and women do not.”

Berlin’s state government confirmed the move in a press release Thursday. “As a result of a successful discrimination complaint, the Berlin bathing establishments will in future apply their house and bathing regulations in a gender-equitable manner,” the statement reads.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

When I was stationed in Zirndorf (Nuremberg) it was completely ordinary for women to go topless at the community pool. I never noticed anyone gawking or paying any attention to the breast-baring gals
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 pm When I was stationed in Zirndorf (Nuremberg) it was completely ordinary for women to go topless at the community pool. I never noticed anyone gawking or paying any attention to the breast-baring gals
We went to visit our son when he was stationed at Vilseck and stayed with his in-laws outside of Nuremberg for a week. One day we went to a lake in the area and there were a number of women topless. Nobody thought anything of it. Europeans don't look at nudity the same way we do.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:06 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:28 pm When I was stationed in Zirndorf (Nuremberg) it was completely ordinary for women to go topless at the community pool. I never noticed anyone gawking or paying any attention to the breast-baring gals
We went to visit our son when he was stationed at Vilseck and stayed with his in-laws outside of Nuremberg for a week. One day we went to a lake in the area and there were a number of women topless. Nobody thought anything of it. Europeans don't look at nudity the same way we do.
Europeans look at nudity the way that Americans look at violence. No big deal.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Yeah, I recall perhaps 10-ish years ago. We were having a board meeting at our condo development. We are in the clubhouse to do this meeting with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out on the pool and hot-tub area. And there is this family letting their two very young kids run around buck-naked. (the parents were covered)

One of the board members took offense and asked what is that about? I answered her that they are Europeans (guests from Germany, actually). They don't have the hangup of nudity like Americans.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:35 am
northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:08 am
neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:06 pm Now go replace the batteries in your smoke detectors/alarms.
Replace batteries? What is that? I haven't replaced a battery since like 2015 or 2016 (still test them, though).

Illinois this year started requiring sealed 10-year detectors. I was a bit ahead of the curve.
When we moved into this house two of the smoke detectors were no longer functioning and all were past the 10-year lifespan. I needed to add a detector in a spot where I couldn't hardwire it in with the others so I was looking for something that could be wirelessly networked too. The only thing I could find at the time were the Nest detectors which are now $120 each. I have 8 of them that are approaching the 5th year of their 7 year lifespan. I'm hoping to find something different that won't cost me nearly a grand before that time comes.
Mine are not interconnected (older building and grandfathered) so I just have a sealed 10-year battery one (a small place where until recently, the single combo smoke and CO detector was fine). I am going to add ones in the bedroom and the stairwell outside my place (I realize that is officially the landlord's domain but they are cheap and I could always deduct it from rent if it was worth it). The main one is outside my bedroom and I never close the door so it is really, the same as in.
101010 :towel:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:06 pm
Off Topic
Vilseck! OMG! We lived there for a year (80-81) in temp base housing before being we got permanent housing in Graf!
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:22 am
MsDaisy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:13 am
I guess it depends on which side of the bed you got out of... :confuzzled:
Maybe. The bed is oriented N-S meaning the west side gets up later than the east side, but I don't think it's a whole hour differential. I'll need to verify that with some careful research though. I may need to write a procedure first, and then have it approved. Could be months before I get an approval. Oh, and don't forget the amount of time it takes to receive a research grant. I better get crackin.
Nah. Don't bother with all that crap.

Just look at a map and phone in the answer.

Wait. No. Ignore that. What am I thinking?????

Get the research grant FIRST! THEN look at a map and phone in the answer.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 am And!

And!!

I think we should always turn the clocks back. Twice a year, every year. No Spring forward. Always Fall back. Bit by bit, year by year, hour by hour we will turn day into night, and night into day. People will go to work in the dark, and sleep all day. Super idea.

Who's with me?
Is someone missing his student years?
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:06 pm Now go replace the batteries in your smoke detectors/alarms.
Imagine my surprise when we bought the Florida house and discovered that smoke detectors aren't required. Most of the detectors were missing, the rest were well beyond their expiration date. No smoke detector inspection.

I've replaced almost all of the dozen of them with "10-year" units. They are interconnected, but I think there is an issue with the interconnecting wire so I will probably sever the connection to the ones that randomly give a 4-chirp (which is not mentioned in the manual)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:44 am
bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:12 am And!

And!!

I think we should always turn the clocks back. Twice a year, every year. No Spring forward. Always Fall back. Bit by bit, year by year, hour by hour we will turn day into night, and night into day. People will go to work in the dark, and sleep all day. Super idea.

Who's with me?
Is someone missing his student years?
Back when we'd turn off the gravity in the public bathrooms as a prank? Those days?

I can say it was more fun to be twenty in the seventies than seventy in the twenties.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Danraft

Hijack This Thread

Post by Danraft »

Looking for the original of the segment of Nancy Pelosi talking in this clip. I think I’ve seen it and it was very much her getting information. I think she did say she would punch Trump if he showed up, but can’t find it.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR7Sv6oN/
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

It’s from her daughter’s documentary.

About 3:40
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

This explains a lot....

neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Honestly, I don't have any liberal leaning acquaintances who use the term "woke" beyond discussing persons using "woke" on the conservative side. So what does woke mean. Uggh...
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

I needed moar.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

This Bethany chick doesn’t really know what she’s talking about and does it so inarticulately. Is she like famous?
Danraft

Hijack This Thread

Post by Danraft »

I have a Canadian acquaintance who is out of work and seeking to get media attention and grift by being anti-woke. Which is hilarious because “woke” is a mystery term to him. He thinks woke-ism means people want segregated classrooms and late-term abortions.

He’s an over educated idiot that reminds me of George Santos— zero sense of morality or ethics.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 pm This explains a lot....

https: //twitter.com/vanguard_pod/status/1635749284355211264?s=20
Maybe she'll wake up to being an idiot.
jemcanada2

Hijack This Thread

Post by jemcanada2 »

Danraft wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:43 am I have a Canadian acquaintance who is out of work and seeking to get media attention and grift by being anti-woke. Which is hilarious because “woke” is a mystery term to him. He thinks woke-ism means people want segregated classrooms and late-term abortions.

He’s an over educated idiot that reminds me of George Santos— zero sense of morality or ethics.
Unfortunately we are getting more and more of these types up here. They believe the stupidest conspiracy theories. So much for a higher education. :doh:
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Ms. Bethany (see above) takes another crack at defining "woke." This time she had the luxury of thinking it through before expressing her words (NB: it didn't help.)

I note that her reference to "hierarchies of oppression" is gone. If not forgotten.

gop def of woke .jpg
gop def of woke .jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Keep your eyes peeled for the "angry mob!"
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Dharma Dueling a Winger
ehk8w3x1hwna1.jpg
ehk8w3x1hwna1.jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 704 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “General Stuff”