Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:46 pm https://twitter.com/FreyjaTarte/status/ ... 3797963776
Freyja ™@FreyjaTarte
·
Ffs! Can this be real?

9:44 PM · Sep 9, 2022
Yes, was real. Some person bought one of the stolen machines . But he notified the authorities and donated the machine to them.

ETA corrected comment :bag:

The tweet has the full story .... view the video (as i should have before posing :blackeye: )
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:48 pm https://twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status ... 5209606145
Lesbian baddies for Johnny Suh association@ArtemisiaVoid

Oh I have the perfect image of the worst order I ever received while working at Starbucks. All for 5:54 am
Good grief. And we wonder why Americans have a problem with Type-2 diabetes. Rachel left no room in her cup for actual coffee. :lol:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The weather service says our local air quality index is +50 which is "good", but the skies are orange and look just like the last couple years during the fire storms we had. The only difference I can tell is it does not smell like a camp fire outside. Just really really orange. It is Sept. Tis the season.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Here's some pictures from 2020 that show the orange cast sky. It was like living on Mars.
Attachments
20200911_UPS yard goat with CB antenna.jpg
20200911_UPS yard goat with CB antenna.jpg (189.78 KiB) Viewed 634 times
20200911_KWJJ Mt Hood.jpg
20200911_KWJJ Mt Hood.jpg (261.17 KiB) Viewed 634 times
20200908_Tillamook Fires.jpg
20200908_Tillamook Fires.jpg (235.43 KiB) Viewed 634 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Sooo .... working on my checkbook spreadsheet ... a thing I started many years and two bank accounts ago to keep track of our expenses. And one of the things I tracked was our monthly cost of living. It's a simple calculation - just add up all your expenses for the year, and divide by 12. Mrs now questions that. She says it should just include the essentials: food, utilities, taxes; not credit card, not political or charitable donations, and certainly not medical. If we don't include medical, why should we include food? They both preserve and maintain our bodies. Likewise with water, a utility. And our home which is taxed.

So, what in your mind is your cost of living?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:16 am Sooo .... working on my checkbook spreadsheet ... a thing I started many years and two bank accounts ago to keep track of our expenses. And one of the things I tracked was our monthly cost of living. It's a simple calculation - just add up all your expenses for the year, and divide by 12. Mrs now questions that. She says it should just include the essentials: food, utilities, taxes; not credit card, not political or charitable donations, and certainly not medical. If we don't include medical, why should we include food? They both preserve and maintain our bodies. Likewise with water, a utility. And our home which is taxed.

So, what in your mind is your cost of living?
Mine is by month, has regular recurring charges that are fixed (e.g., mobile phone), estimate utilities that aren't (gas), and estimates food, medical, etc., so I can figure out fairly close to what I'm spending. I figure it'll help me figure out where to cut when I get to that point. The one thing I've been lazy about it adding in a line for actual expenses for things like travel.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:20 am Mine is by month, has regular recurring charges that are fixed (e.g., mobile phone), estimate utilities that aren't (gas), and estimates food, medical, etc., so I can figure out fairly close to what I'm spending. I figure it'll help me figure out where to cut when I get to that point. The one thing I've been lazy about it adding in a line for actual expenses for things like travel.
Interesting (Spock eyebrow). You work mostly with estimates rather than known values, though I imagine the estimates are based on previous payments. We are probably doing the smae thing, but explaining it differently.

Mrs malfunction came from a +$500/mo COL increase caused by a dental bill and a house repair in August. In my brute force method there is no way to average out the number. These were actual bills totaling just under $7k, and when divided by 12, instantly added $500 to my monthly calculation. She wants it smoothed out because we won't see those bills every month. I say leave it alone, and let it ride. A cost is a cost is a cost.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

neonzx wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:19 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:48 pm https://twitter.com/LeftAtLondon/status ... 5209606145
Lesbian baddies for Johnny Suh association@ArtemisiaVoid

Oh I have the perfect image of the worst order I ever received while working at Starbucks. All for 5:54 am
Good grief. And we wonder why Americans have a problem with Type-2 diabetes. Rachel left no room in her cup for actual coffee. :lol:
That's why (one of the reasons, anyway) that I never go to Starbucks. I *DO* have type II diabetes and I can't drink milkshakes.

I remember, back when Obamacare was being debated, the CEO of Starbucks said that they spend more on health insurance for employees than they spend on coffee. I remember thinking, at the time, that they probably spend more on diary products and "shots" than they do on coffee.

There is a point at which "coffee with cream" becomes "cream with coffee". I saw one recipe for a Latte; one part cream, 3 parts milk, one part coffee. That means that only one fifth of what is in the cup is actually coffee.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:16 am So, what in your mind is your cost of living?
Every penny you spend is your cost of living. Some expenses are necessary, some are discretionary. Maybe that's what your wife is considering.

My husband retired in 2016 at age 62. Ten years before he retired I created a spreadsheet to track income and expenses so that I would have a handle on what retirement might look like. Think about doing one yourself.

For income, I only included my husband's salary and any other money coming into a taxable account, i.e., money for living on and for investing.

I used Quicken to track expenses, but I was not fanatical about minutiae. I don't know how you can ignore expenses on credit cards. I enter each charge into Quicken so there are charges for grocery stores and streaming video sources, etc. The bank account debited to pay the CC bill offsets the credit to the credit card, so they zero out in Quicken and I'm left with a list of payees.

Because they are large and easily identifiable, I would create a report separating out federal and state income taxes and all the other stuff taken from a paycheck. I also tracked real estate taxes, all insurance payments - house, car, medical, medical expenses, charitable donations, and utilities. I also separated out large purchases for the year, such as automobiles. But all the money spent at Target, Costco, grocery stores, etc? They got lumped into Other. In a sense, they are more discretionary. I have to pay insurance. I have to pay taxes. But clothes, restaurants, etc.? There's more flexibility there.

That summary spreadsheet helped my plan for retirement. I knew some things like retirement contributions and FICA taxes would go away, but I could also see how paying for our own medical insurance would impact the bottom line.

(It shows that I'm a former accountant, doesn't it?)
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

:dance:
raison de arizona

She looks great in general, and awesome for 70. Interesting choice.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Good thing she is a chief engineer. If she had been anything but that or maybe the communications officer, she would be done before the first commercial.
101010 :towel:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I knew that, but, PLEEZE, saying it to my face while drinking my soon to be third cup of coffee, is just rude. Bless his heart.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
tek

Post by tek »

"Dalton Clodfelter" eh?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

So glad you pointed out his name. I wonder why the family didn't shorten it to Clod.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our younger daughter told us about this. She was in the drama class with this man in high school. :shock:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wmar2n ... amp%3Dtrue
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

northland10 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:56 pm Good thing she is a chief engineer. If she had been anything but that or maybe the communications officer, she would be done before the first commercial.
She’s wearing red. What makes you think she’ll last much longer than that? :mrgreen:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

In the several stories on the subject V posted about I saw a couple of pics with 4 kids; in one the baby’s on dad’s lap. No mention of a baby in the articles.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:crying: :crying: :crying:

Black girls seeing Ariel look like them. I am dead. In a good way. ETA There are lots more :P

:P
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Mrich wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm

:dance:
I'm beginning to think Carol Kane is immortal.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:16 pm Our younger daughter told us about this. She was in the drama class with this man in high school. :shock:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wmar2n ... amp%3Dtrue
When I clicked on the link, I just get an icon not the page for the article, and the URL just goes to the image, so I can't just edit it. Got a better link, by chance?

Return to “General Stuff”