Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:02 am
keith wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:53 am But how did my Apple Pay account get cancelled in the first place? If'n its one of them SovCit redemption accounts thingies it has to be Contitutionally Guaranteed by the 14th Amendments (government debts are guaranteed)
I'll trade you my multiple times a day imaginary Venmo texts for your Apple texts.
I'll be glad to give anyone the 5 to 10 messages I get every day from "My Local PBS station" (which, oddly, doesn't seem to know it's own call letters) that can't process my latest dontion (that I never made) and throw in the daily TikTok email telling me I have a new friend request to my (non-existent) account for good measure!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Raison, the chances are 99.999999% that it IS a scam.

I told y'all about ol' Wifehorn falling for a scam, but we reversed it before the guy got any money.

What I didn't report was that he called her on the phone SIX TIMES the next day, to swear up and down that he wasn't a scammer and his momma didn't raise him like that and by the way, you remind me of my grandma, did I say that?

But ol' Wifehorn didn't even pick up the phone, when she saw who it was.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I get emails on my junk account every day telling me how lucky I am to have won.

Delete.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:28 am :snippity:
Arg. I suppose I'll just give it a bit more time and try to contact Venmo again.
I would give it up to two months to sort out. The person whose credit card was used needs to first detect the wrong debit on their side and get the cogwheels working for them.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

First Trump. Then Biden. and now, PENCE? https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics ... index.html
A lawyer for former Vice President Mike Pence discovered about a dozen documents marked as classified at Pence’s Indiana home last week, and he has turned those classified records over to the FBI, multiple sources familiar with the matter told CNN.

The FBI and the Justice Department’s National Security Division have launched a review of the documents and how they ended up in Pence’s house in Indiana.

The classified documents were discovered at Pence’s new home in Carmel, Indiana, by a lawyer for Pence in the wake of the revelations about classified material discovered in President Joe Biden’s private office and residence, the sources said. The discovery comes after Pence has repeatedly said he did not have any classified documents in his possession.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Well good. Maybe they’ll shut up a little bit about Joe.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Kash Patel needs to write another children’s book, modeled on ´Everybody Poops’. Call it Everybody Takes Classified Docs Home
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Flatpoint High wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 pm First Trump. Then Biden. and now, PENCE? https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics ... index.html
I wonder if Obama and Bush are searching through their stuff just in case :whistle:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 pm
Flatpoint High wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 pm First Trump. Then Biden. and now, PENCE? https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/politics ... index.html
I wonder if Obama and Bush are searching through their stuff just in case :whistle:
who knows. one would hope just to be sure
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:28 pm
https://twitter.com/StephenM/status/1617935538241302528
Stephen Miller @StephenM wrote: Why hasn’t DOJ searched Obama’s properties and business entities for classified documents?
https://twitter.com/MonicaCrowley/statu ... 1863887874
Monica Crowley @MonicaCrowley wrote: Do Barack and Michelle Obama have classified documents in their possession?
(Former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury turned RWNJ podcaster)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Axios

The Washington Post began notifying employees about layoffs, impacting at least some newsroom employees, according to sources at the company.

https://trib.al/G2SuV2I

Reuters

3M to cut 2,500 jobs, forecasts downbeat Q1 as demand weakens

http://reut.rs/3j04ysR

Peter Cohen
@flargh@mastodon.social
It's really hard not to be cynical when Microsoft pumps billions into OpenAI within a week of laying off 10,000 workers.

Berkubernetus
@fuzzychef@m6n.io
Folks are treating the recent tech layoffs as something spontaneous. They were not. Apparently the current layoffs were orchestrated by hedge funds.

This hedge fund demanded that the big tech companies lay people off because they were being paid too much. Let that one sink in: a hedge fund manager saying that you're being paid too much.

Note that TCI is demanding that Google lay off more people.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

New York Times

The Doomsday Clock is closer to midnight than it's ever been, after the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists set it at 90 seconds to midnight on Tuesday, citing the war in Ukraine as well as climate change, online disinformation and other threats.

https://nyti.ms/3XxZb3d
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:53 pm Axios

The Washington Post began notifying employees about layoffs, impacting at least some newsroom employees, according to sources at the company.

https://trib.al/G2SuV2I

Reuters

3M to cut 2,500 jobs, forecasts downbeat Q1 as demand weakens

http://reut.rs/3j04ysR

Peter Cohen
@flargh@mastodon.social
It's really hard not to be cynical when Microsoft pumps billions into OpenAI within a week of laying off 10,000 workers.

Berkubernetus
@fuzzychef@m6n.io
Folks are treating the recent tech layoffs as something spontaneous. They were not. Apparently the current layoffs were orchestrated by hedge funds.

This hedge fund demanded that the big tech companies lay people off because they were being paid too much. Let that one sink in: a hedge fund manager saying that you're being paid too much.

Note that TCI is demanding that Google lay off more people.
Corporations today are managed, not to produce valuable goods or services, or to increase stockholder income, but rather to maximize the current stock price, so that the executives' options retain value.

I read a statement once that, to Japanese firms, long-term planning means five or more years out. To US firms, it means next quarter.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Pepper spray for the school run? The weaponised SUV set to terrify America’s streets
The extreme features of the Rezvani Vengeance – including electrified door handles and blinding strobe lights – are wholly in tune with lethal trends in the US market

Oliver Wainwright
Wed 25 Jan 2023 18.25 GMT

In southern California, parking lot warfare just got real. Not content with their supersized pickup trucks and child-killing SUVs, America’s road warriors can now go full military apocalypse, with the arrival of the Rezvani Vengeance.

While its competitors offer heated seats and optional roof-racks, this souped-up SUV boasts bulletproof glass, blinding strobe lights, electrified doorhandles, and wing mirrors that can shoot pepper spray – handy for putting those pesky cyclists in their place.

“Vengeance is yours,” trumpets the website, which details how the car can release a dense smoke screen to confuse people following you, as well as detect electromagnetic pulses from nuclear weapons. Always handy for the supermarket run.

Picking up the kids from school? You can announce your arrival through the car’s booming intercom system. Or why not just drive straight through the gates? The vehicle’s hefty steel ram bumpers and military-grade tyres would make mincemeat of any parking barrier – and dispatch the headteacher while they’re at it.

One thing oddly missing from the Vengeance (priced from $285,000, rising to $499,000 with all the extras) is a rear windscreen, because of course that would be unsafe. Instead, drivers are treated to a live video rear-view mirror and a front camera overlaid with “augmented reality”. Perhaps it shows an imaginary zombie army for you to mow down on your way to the mall.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... -vengeange
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

A Catastrophic Mutating Event Will Strike the World in 2 Years, Report Says

Tim Newcomb
Wed, January 25, 2023 at 10:48 PM GMT+1
  • A World Economic Forum report says business leaders believe a “catastrophic cyber event” is coming.
    Cybercrime will grow from a $3 trillion industry in 2015 to a $10.5 trillion industry by 2025.
    The unpredictable nature of cybercrime increases threats.
The 2023 World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, has filled us with lots of uplifting predictions, like how companies will soon decode our brain waves. The latest warns of a global catastrophic cyber event in the very near future.

“The most striking finding that we’ve found,” WEF managing director Jeremy Jurgens said during a presentation highlighting the WEF Global Security Outlook Report 2023, “is that 93 percent of cyber leaders, and 86 percent of cyber business leaders, believe that the geopolitical instability makes a catastrophic cyber event likely in the next two years. This far exceeds anything that we’ve see in previous surveys.”

Add in the extreme unpredictability of these events—Jurgens cited a cyberattack recently aimed at shutting down Ukranian military abilities that unexpectedly also closed off parts of electricity production across Europe—and the global challenges are only growing.

“This is a global threat,” Jürgen Stock, Secretary-General of Interpol, said during the presentation. “It calls for a global response and enhanced and coordinated action.” He said the increased profits that the multiple bad “actors” reap from cybercrime should encourage world leaders to work together to make it a priority as they face “new sophisticated tools.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/cata ... 00438.html
(original: Popular Mechanics)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Belated bday post (Jan 26)
FnczgwHaYAAacEO.jpeg
FnczgwHaYAAacEO.jpeg (105.39 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Damn, I never looked that smooth. RIP
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Packard Auto Plant Is the Largest Abandoned Factory in the World. It's Finally Coming Down

Erin Marquis
Thu, January 26, 2023 at 9:30 PM GMT+1

A van drives under the bridge that crosses East Grand Boulevard connecting sections of the abandoned Packard auto assembly plant in Detroit, Michigan, U.S., on Tuesday, April 21, 2015. That bridge later fell into the street in 2019.

The gigantic Packard Auto Plant has been a 3,500,000-square-foot cancer in the heart of Detroit’s Eastside since the brand shuttered the facility in 1956 — two years before the brand would also disappear. After decades of neglect, the looming ruin is finally coming down.

Frequently cited as the largest abandoned factory in the world, crews started on phase II of the plant’s demolition Tuesday by taking down two parcels of the plant that have belonged to the city for a few years. The first section came down in September on 6199 Concord St. — considered one of the most dangerous and dilapidated parts of the abandoned site.

The city seized the rest of the abandoned factory from perpetually absent owner Peruvian investor Fernando Palazuelo, who failed to pay back taxes or do basic maintenance to secure or improve the site. A court order gave Palazuelo 90 days to demolish the site back in April 2022, after it was deemed dangerous to the general public. Palazuelo had 90 days to clean up the site. When he failed to comply with the court order — or, indeed, even appear in front of a judge — demolition duty fell to the city. Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan vowed Palazuelo will pay for the multi-million dollar project. From the Detroit News:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/packard-aut ... 00564.html
(original: Jalopnik)
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

Interestingly enough, Mitt's dad George Romney had a bit part in the demise of Packard.

Packard's president Nance had a grand vision of merging Packard, Studebaker, Nash, and Hudson. He was gonna become a full-line player in the auto industry, rather than a purveyor of quality, low-volume luxury cars.

Nance managed to merge with Studebaker.
But then Nash and Hudson merged to become American Motors and Romney told Nance to pound sand.
Studebaker-Packard was in deep financial trouble from day 1.

Another famous name involved was none other then John DeLorean. He was the lead designer on the Packard Twin-Ultramatic automatic transmission, which was a service nightmare when it came out in 1955 and further drained the company's coffers.

Combined with other mis-steps from 1954 on, the company was beyond hope.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

My dad had 6 Packards that he restored. Dad was a great mechanic, and he had a habit of finding cars that were very sound of body and chassis.

I used one of them when I went on my first date in high school after I got my license. It ran great, looked cool (because not modern), and boy was there a lot of room to bounce around in. But they were really dusty and you didn't want to do much bouncing around in them.

And it drove like the proverbial truck.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

From Quora.
A restaurant called Mongolian Master in Kuching, Malaysia offers different discounts based on one’s size.

Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Researchers look a dinosaur in its remarkably preserved face
Washed out to sea, a giant beast and its armored skin were left in pristine condition.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/01 ... rved-face/
Borealopelta markmitchelli found its way back into the sunlight in 2017, millions of years after it had died. This armored dinosaur is so magnificently preserved that we can see what it looked like in life. Almost the entire animal—the skin, the armor that coats its skin, the spikes along its side, most of its body and feet, even its face—survived fossilization. It is, according to Dr. Donald Henderson, curator of dinosaurs at the Royal Tyrrell Museum, a one-in-a-billion find.

Beyond its remarkable preservation, this dinosaur is an important key to understanding aspects of Early Cretaceous ecology, and it shows how this species may have lived within its environment. Since its remains were discovered, scientists have studied its anatomy, its armor, and even what it ate in its last days, uncovering new and unexpected insight into an animal that went extinct approximately 100 million years ago.

Borealopelta is a nodosaur, a type of four-legged ankylosaur with a straight tail rather than a tail club. Its finding in 2011 in an ancient marine environment was a surprise, as the animal was terrestrial.

A land-based megaherbivore preserved in an ancient seabed is not as uncommon as one might think. A number of other ankylosaurs have been preserved in this manner, albeit not as well as Borealopelta. Scientists suspect its carcass may have been carried from a river to the sea in a flooding event; it may have bobbed at the surface upside-down for a few days before sinking into the ocean depths.

It would have been kept at the surface by what’s referred to as "bloat-and-float," as the buildup of postmortem gasses would keep it buoyant. Modeling done by Henderson indicates its heavy armor would have rolled it onto its back, a position he suspects may have prevented ocean predators from scavenging its carcass.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

I was overrun by a Mongol (Utah chapter) horde on the freeway today! There were about 20 of them, riding their fire-breathing dragons in the carpool lane. Their exit was coming up so they swarmed across four lanes and I was in the way.

Pics would have been awesome but I was driving. ;)
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:07 am https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDy2tHCPdk8
Oh boy. Those were the days!

I like how compact the transceivers are, and how you only need to add *one* extra battery to make them work properly. They forgot to point out the #10 wire required to drive the motor generator that supplied the three hundred volts for the tubes in the transceivers. They also forgot to discuss how only a dozen people at a time could make a call in any given metro service area because of the limited spectrum allocated by the FCC. It was not unusual for you to arrive at your destination before a channel became available for you to call ahead to tell them you would be late.

Return to “General Stuff”