Hijack This Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, there have been amazing changes in 80 years.

Now imagine how primitive our phones will look, 80 years from today. You had to hold them in your hands!

This is why I insist on living another 300 or 400 more years. The next 300 years is going to be SO INTERESTING.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:41 am Yeah, there have been amazing changes in 80 years.

Now imagine how primitive our phones will look, 80 years from today. You had to hold them in your hands!

This is why I insist on living another 300 or 400 more years. The next 300 years is going to be SO INTERESTING.
You may be making assumptions that we (humans) will be around in 3-400 years. We don't have a good track record.

What was that line by George Carlin?: "Save the Earth? The Earth ain't going nowhere; we are! -- The Earth is going to shake us off like a bad case of the fleas."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

What was the name of that series? After Earth? It will take millions of years for some things we have left behind to finally disappear completely, but a few million years is nothing compared to the time the Earth has left. We will, in the end, just be a minor irritant in the life span of this planet.

It's ourselves we are destroying.

Edited:

The series on The History Channel was called Life After People.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Maybe a race of super-apes running things wasn't such a great idea after all. :shrug:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

RNC loses complaint claiming Gmail spam filter is biased against Republicans
FEC found "no reason to believe" that Google used spam filter to help Democrats.

JON BRODKIN -
1/17/2023, 7:16 PM

The Federal Election Commission (FEC) has rejected a Republican National Committee (RNC) complaint claiming that Google violated US law by using Gmail's spam filter on Republican campaign emails. Republicans had claimed Gmail's spam filtering amounted to "illegal in-kind contributions made by Google to Biden For President and other Democrat candidates."

But an FEC decision last week, which Google provided to Ars today, said the commission found "no reason to believe" that Google made prohibited in-kind corporate contributions. The FEC, an independent agency of the US government, also found no evidence that the Biden for President campaign committee knowingly accepted illegal in-kind contributions in the form of spam filtering preference.

The FEC told Google in a letter that it has "closed its file in this matter" and that documents related to the case will be placed on the public record within 30 days.

"The Commission's bipartisan decision to dismiss this complaint reaffirms that Gmail does not filter emails for political purposes," Google said in a statement. "We'll continue to invest in our Gmail industry-leading spam filters because, as the FEC notes, they're important to protecting people's inboxes from receiving unwanted, unsolicited, or dangerous messages."

FEC: Study cited by Republicans doesn’t prove bias

Republicans made their case in a joint complaint filed in April by the RNC, National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), and National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC). "By overwhelmingly and disproportionately suppressing emails from Republican candidates, including President Trump and others, Google used its corporate resources to provide a massive service to their Democrat opponents by denying Republican candidates the same ability to communicate with voters," the complaint said.

The RNC complaint cited a North Carolina State University study that found "Gmail marks a significantly higher percentage (67.6 percent) of emails from the right as spam compared to the emails from left (just 8.2 percent)."

But the FEC decision said that "the NCSU Study does not make any findings as to the reasons why Google's spam filter appears to treat Republican and Democratic campaign emails differently." The FEC also described several limitations in the study:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

My niece and her husband named the baby girl Quinn Elizabeth [last_name].

They would not believe me when I told them the little girl will be furious when she reaches middle school and the teasing starts.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:55 am My niece and her husband named the baby girl Quinn Elizabeth [last_name].

They would not believe me when I told them the little girl will be furious when she reaches middle school and the teasing starts.
I think Quinn is a pretty name, we have a Quinnie in the family. But yep, she will be picked on for it!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

... and the people responsible will be right at hand to suffer for it.

And I will be holding in a yoooge "I TOLD YOU SO" because I'm a nice guy, as far as you know. :mrgreen:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Why will she be teased for being named Quinn?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:38 pm Why will she be teased for being named Quinn?
Its the first and middle names together that are the problem - sounds too much like Queen Elizabeth
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:39 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:38 pm Why will she be teased for being named Quinn?
Its the first and middle names together that are the problem - sounds too much like Queen Elizabeth
Unless they call her by both names I doubt more than a handful of people will even know what it is.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:41 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:39 pm
Unless they call her by both names I doubt more than a handful of people will even know what it is.
We never used middle names in school.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

You’ll have make sure she knows this song.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:02 pm You’ll have make sure she knows this song.

https: //youtu.be/K13hH0pJx5s
:like:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

I made "Bloody Mary's" for predinner drinks tonight.

Unfortunately, I picked up the wrong jar from the refrigerator.

I used Hot English Mustard instead of Horseradish.

Trust me, you don't wanna do what I did.

It was AWFUL.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

I posted a couple weeks ago that my Mister (who is a retired primary care physician) got a call from his sister that she had had a positive pap smear. This morning they did surgery and found that it has metastasized pretty much everywhere. My heart is breaking for him right now. He and his sister have always been very close. Please beam positive energy to them both; this is going to be very bad. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:07 am I posted a couple weeks ago that my Mister (who is a retired primary care physician) got a call from his sister that she had had a positive pap smear. This morning they did surgery and found that it has metastasized pretty much everywhere. My heart is breaking for him right now. He and his sister have always been very close. Please beam positive energy to them both; this is going to be very bad. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
My heart breaks for all of you. It's a tough road.
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Which reminds me, has anyone heard from Sequoia lately?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

MsDaisy, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's sister.

For those who don't know (it was a long time ago), MrDaisy took my boys fishing on their pond (they have 30 acres in BFE and a house built before the Civil War). We visited several times. He cooked hot dogs on the grill for them. They swam in the pool and played with the dogs, and I don't know how much they remember, but my memory is crystal clear, and I adore that guy. He's a wonderful, wonderful man.

Anyway, once again, I am helpless to influence events, which is the worst. All I can do is send love, and hugs, and more love. ❤️
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to MrDaisy and his sister and all of your fambly.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:25 am :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to MrDaisy and his sister and all of your fambly.
:yeahthat: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Thank you all for the love and good wishes. The bad thing is that his sister is in London and we’re in Virginia, thank goodness for FaceTime! We were already planning a trip to London next month before this news and then all of us were going to go on a big trip from there to Australia & Japan but just getting to London is all that’s on the list now. We’ve already been to Australia once before chasing down his family history and I lived in Japan for 3 years so no great loss there.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry for this awful news. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-births ... d=96765124
The number of births in the United States increased in 2021 for the first time in seven years, reversing trends that continued during the pandemic, according to new federal data.

A report published early Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics showed there were 3,664,292 babies born in 2021, which is a 1% increase from 2020.

The figure marks the first increase seen since 2014. Between 2014 and 2019, births were declining by an average of 1% per year, and there was a decline of 4% from 2019 to 2020.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:16 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:25 am :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: to MrDaisy and his sister and all of your fambly.
:yeahthat: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
:yeahthat: + :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Return to “General Stuff”