Hijack This Thread

Lani

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

Max eclipse at 11pm here! Hope it's a clear night.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:56 pm I finally decided that I need to sort through my hundreds of piano books. Because of the time of year, I've started with the Christmas piano books. I have 86 of them. :eek: But I've been buying piano books since I was a teenager.

There was one thing that I always thought was odd when I was buying Christmas piano books. When I was growing up, I enjoyed playing Mom's 1942 sheet music of White Christmas. Over the years, I've tried to find Christmas books containing White Christmas, especially maybe a new arrangement of it. I never found it in a piano book. I've just checked my 86 Christmas piano books. Not there. Over the years I did buy my own copy of the single sheet music, and in 2010 local pianist Lorie Line published her own arrangement of White Christmas which I bought.

I know this is a copyright issue. It's just funny because there are a lot of Christmas songs still under copyright which have been included in piano books and new arrangements published. White Christmas is just extremely protected, even after all these years.
Apparently Irving Berlin was extremely protective of the music and lyrics so probably did not give permission for arrangements of his work. Hal Leonard administers the work for the Irving Berlin Library. https://www.halleonard.com/

Though I am not sure of works from before 1978, it will probably be a while yet before it is in the public domain.
101010 :towel:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

C&Rsenal is currently documenting every firearm used in World War I. All of them. Othias and Mae do excellent research, and work hard to track down and fire all the firearms they document.

This is serious:

A bit more detail:

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jimmy-hoffa- ... 41207.html

FBI agents have searched a plot of land in the US state of New Jersey after a deathbed confession renewed hope of solving union boss Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance 50 years ago.

For decades, Hoffa was one of America's most powerful labour organisers.

But in 1975 he suddenly disappeared, and his body has never been recovered.

Investigators recently received a tip that a former worker on a landfill site in Jersey City had said that his father told him he had buried Hoffa's body.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

STUPID
STUPID

BBCODE
TRICKS
TRICKS
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:like:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Nazi youth going to prison. I needed this.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxd57x/ ... -to-prison
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

pjhimself wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:48 pm
That shit is completely insane, I actually saw people doing that in the Alps, OMG! I have issues with high places, I have to take a Xanax to get on an airplane :cantlook:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Nope! :crazy:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby would love it!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Lani wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 pm Max eclipse at 11pm here! Hope it's a clear night.
Huh. Cloudy in Melbourne.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ash-spill/
Some California motorists thought they’d hit the jackpot after an armored truck spilled cash across a freeway north of San Diego, causing a traffic jam on Friday as people leaped out of their cars and scooped up fistfuls of bills.

But “finders keepers” doesn’t apply in this case, and authorities have vowed to track down any motorists who left the scene with their looted money.

It might not be all that hard: The incident was captured on social media, with people posting videos of themselves literally jumping for joy as they scooped up wads of cash off the highway shortly after 9:15 a.m. local time.

“This is the most insane thing I’ve ever seen,” Demi Bagby said as she panned her camera to show people all around her bending over to collect the scattered bills. “Someone dropped money all over the freeway.” The fitness influencer beamed the footage to her 2.6 million followers on Instagram. She didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment Saturday.
How could you possibly think that wasn't stealing and you would get away with it? :brickwallsmall:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

fitness influencer ...
:roll:

And what do you do for a living, young lady?

Oh, I'm a fitness influencer.

:doh: :blackeye: :talktothehand:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:shock:

Dozens of looters rush California Nordstrom store

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/do ... d_nn_tw_ma
Dozens of looters descended on a Nordstrom store and stole merchandise Saturday night in a raid that was over within a minute, police in Walnut Creek, California said.

Approximately 80 people rushed into the store in the city’s Broadway Plaza, a spokesperson for the Walnut Creek Police Department told NBC News.

They said that one employee was pepper sprayed, and two others were punched and kicked. All three sustained minor injuries, and were treated and released at the scene, they added.

The suspects were in and out of the store, which was open at the time, within a minute, the spokesperson said, adding that an undetermined amount of merchandise was taken.
I don't recall another crime like this. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://www.tmz.com/2021/11/21/more-mas ... nut-creek/

LOOTING IN THE BAY
FLASH MOB HITS NORDSTROM ...
Coordinated Effort

Bay Area looters have coordinated by the dozens and descended upon high-end retail stores ... and on Saturday, Walnut Creek's number was called.

:snippity:

It's a deeply troubling trend that started to make itself known in San Francisco just the night before, only a stone's throw away from Walnut Creek, where tons of people broke into a Louis Vuitton store and ransacked the place there as well.

BTW, this is far from a California-only problem ... there have been reports of mass looting all over the country for the past several days now, including another hit near Chicago -- where another LV store was cleaned out.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

High-end San Francisco-area retailers looted, vandalized

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... vandalized
High-end retailers including Yves Saint Laurent and Louis Vuitton were among the stores looted and vandalized on Friday night in the San Francisco area, prompting outrage from the city’s mayor and police chief.

A spokesperson for the San Francisco Police Department said that officers responded just after 8 p.m. “to possible looting and vandalism to retail establishments in Union Square.”

Merchandise worth thousands of dollars was retrieved by police after stores including Jins Eyewear, Bloomingdale’s and Burberry were looted, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said that Hermes and Fendi stores were also damaged, but officers were able to intervene during the thefts. He said that eight people, all young adults, were arrested.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Waiting for copycats to appear all across the country.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Last week I went shopping and, just for the heck of it, stopped at our local very high end standalone jewelry store. After seeing these flash mob theft stories, I can see why the local jewelry store has the security it does. You have to be buzzed into the store. You cannot just walk in.

By the way, it's fun to peruse that jewelry store, but, my goodness! their prices are high. Lots of diamonds, lots of gems. Just out of curiosity I asked how much they were asking for a pretty pair of emerald stud earrings. $12,000. :eek: I decided to pass on them. :nope: I don't have the sophistication to tell the difference between them and a nice pair of man made emerald earring for a fraction of the cost, and, when I die, no relative looking at my jewelry would expect to find a $12,000 pair of earrings. They'd assume I had probably spent $150, if that.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

This was a "thing" 40 years ago when the anchor stores at big malls all opened directly onto the parking lot. They would pull the car up at the entrance, pop the trunk, half a dozen people would run in, grab everything they could get their hands on, run out, throw it in the trunk and take off. This is why you no longer see things like leather coats close to the entrance. If you've ever wondered why they alternate the hooks on the clothes hangers, this is why. It's also why I have arthritis in my thumb from dislocating it during a tussle with one of those jackasses when I was working store security.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The news is just coming out on this. Some reports say up to 30 people injured. Waukesha is a suburb of Milwaukee (and right next to my sister's suburb :shock: ).

filly

Post by filly »

CNN is reporting police are looking for the driver. Seems unlikely to be a mere drunk or an addled old person. And WH is monitoring so something is up.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:57 pm
How could you possibly think that wasn't stealing and you would get away with it? :brickwallsmall:
Everyone on Fogbow should understand better than most that we are under Maritime Law. Salvage rights apply to first come first serve.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

There will be an update at 7:30pm local time. Apparently the vehicle has been recovered. A person of interest has been identified but it doesn’t sound like he’s in custody yet. We’ll know more on the half hour.

Edit - maybe I got the time wrong. Maybe it was 7:30 Eastern time so it’s what the sheriff has already said. Like everyone, I want this solved immediately.

Return to “General Stuff”