Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

He came so close to hitting that small child just dancing away. :cantlook:

I hope they catch him and soon.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

more info on incident in thread above
Multiple Dead After Driver Plows S.U.V. Into Holiday Parade in Wisconsin
Officials said more than 20 people were struck after the vehicle sped down the street during the parade in Waukesha, Wis., near Milwaukee.

By Christopher Mele, Jesus Jiménez and Mitch Smith
Nov. 21, 2021 Updated 9:26 p.m. ET

A speeding S.U.V. tore through a holiday parade in downtown Waukesha, Wis., on Sunday evening, killing multiple people and striking more than 20 as marching bands and local politicians were strolling through the Milwaukee suburb.

Chief Daniel Thompson of the Waukesha police said Sunday night that a person of interest was in custody and that there was no further threat. He said he did not know how many people died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/21/us/w ... oting.html
filly

Post by filly »

jez wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:03 pm He came so close to hitting that small child just dancing away. :cantlook:

I hope they catch him and soon.
Or her. There is a video on Twitter of the vehicle actually hitting members if a marching band. The driver goes on a diagonal from right to left and then starts hitting people. It appears it might have been targeted.
Lani

Post by Lani »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:03 pm :snippity:
By the way, it's fun to peruse that jewelry store, but, my goodness! their prices are high. Lots of diamonds, lots of gems. Just out of curiosity I asked how much they were asking for a pretty pair of emerald stud earrings. $12,000. :eek: I decided to pass on them. :nope: I don't have the sophistication to tell the difference between them and a nice pair of man made emerald earring for a fraction of the cost, and, when I die, no relative looking at my jewelry would expect to find a $12,000 pair of earrings. They'd assume I had probably spent $150, if that.
For some reason, I recently decided that I need emeralds.

I've been posting on craigslist & ebay to raise funds for the annual Walk to End Alzheimer's. The team used to have some bake sales and yard sales, but then covid. So last year I sold items on those 2 websites, and I'm about to wrap up this year's effort.

So one day I was uploading more sales and stumbled across a jeweler selling several emerald pieces. I fell in love :lovestruck: And then I researched emeralds and found some home sellers dumping their jewelry boxes. This became a serious obsession for me :? So.. I bought some, returned those that were lab emeralds, and had discussions with my jeweler about any pieces that I questioned.

The 14k emerald stud earrings were under $200 & the bracelet was $150.00 8-) Sorry for the crappy photos - they are far more beautiful than the photos.
earrings.jpg
earrings.jpg (84.06 KiB) Viewed 821 times
emerald bracelet.jpg
emerald bracelet.jpg (140.6 KiB) Viewed 821 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Love the earrings especially!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

That's gorgeous jewelry.

My pride and joy are the jade earrings and jade bracelet (with teeny diamond accents) that my husband bought for me when he was in Hong Kong. A wife of Hong Kong co-worker who knew about jade jewelry went with my husband to help him select it.
Jade Jewelry.jpg
Jade Jewelry.jpg (122.24 KiB) Viewed 795 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Since green has always been the color I love most (green eyes), I love emeralds and jade. I actually have a pair of lever back earrings that are very similar to the emeralds you pictured, Lani. They have a few small diamonds, too.

Those jade earrings and bracelet are also gorgeous. I have several pieces of jade, too. I had a lot of disappointments about not getting to China a few years ago when our friend died. I know I missed a lot of spectacular sites, but I was really looking forward to bringing jade back for myself and my granddaughter. The jewelry gene skipped my daughter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I love my jade jewelry, but I don't buy green clothes. And for quite a while I could not wear that bracelet. I just measured it. It's 6-5/16". I had gained weight and it no longer fit. About 10 years ago I lost 70 pounds. I could stand to lose more, but at least the bracelet fits me now.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Jade :lovestruck: Some day I'll take pictures of my jade figurines. I found them in random yard sales over decades.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The other piece of jewelry which I love is a round pin with six opals. Both opals and jade are fascinating with their variation in color in a single stone.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The person of interest is being named all over the internet. History of domestic violence. Vehicle found parked in his driveway. Allegedly.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Lani wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:29 am The person of interest is being named all over the internet. History of domestic violence. Vehicle found parked in his driveway. Allegedly.
I believe this is disinfo and if so, it spread faster than anything I have seen.
Lani

Post by Lani »

My first response as well. However, Heavy claims to have heard the name over the audio from the scanner indicating Waukesha police obtained the ID from the vehicle.

https://heavy.com/news/waukesha-parade-shooting-car/
filly

Post by filly »

New Turtle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:43 am
Lani wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:29 am The person of interest is being named all over the internet. History of domestic violence. Vehicle found parked in his driveway. Allegedly.
I believe this is disinfo and if so, it spread faster than anything I have seen.
NBC is reporting the masss murder was fleeing a stabbing scene and it seems like the parade just got in the way! WNBC I NY has an excellent repoter who seems to have significant LE sources.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

filly wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:18 am
New Turtle wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:43 am
NBC is reporting the masss murder was fleeing a stabbing scene and it seems like the parade just got in the way! WNBC I NY has an excellent repoter who seems to have significant LE sources.
Yeah it looks like they were running from the police and got shot at as soon as they hit the barricades
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... chromepush
The full scope of tragedy in Waukesha continued to unfold Monday morning, as authorities confirmed five people had been killed and more than 40 others injured after a driver sped through the annual holiday parade Sunday evening.

A 39-year-old Milwaukee man with an open court case related to domestic violence has been taken into custody, according to a law enforcement source with firsthand knowledge of the situation. The Associated Press also confirmed the man's identity Monday morning.

Darrell Brooks Jr., the man suspected of being the driver, has been charged three times in less than two years with recklessly endangering the safety of others, most recently on Nov. 5 as part of a domestic abuse incident for which he was also charged with resisting or obstructing an officer.

Brooks was released from jail on Friday after posting bond in the recent incident, according to court records. He also was charged in July 2020 with two felony counts of second-degree recklessly endangering the safety of others using a dangerous weapon. Both cases are ongoing.

Authorities have have not publicly disclosed what they believe was the man's motivation. One law enforcement source told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel the man had been involved in an earlier incident on Sunday, possibly also related to domestic abuse, just before the parade carnage occurred.
(I feel like this might need its own thread, but I can't move posts.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just terrible. :( :mad:

In our former city I was often involved with the annual holiday parade as a high school band chaperone or as a member of the local community band. Still have my Santa hat.

Before they were in high school our daughters were in the parade with their fellow dance school students.

I get chills in my spine thinking about something like this happening then. The horror that it has happened at all.

The next 2 weeks is the high season for holiday parades all across the country. Hoping that they are all safe.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dang, but this is a great story! It's amazing how stupid some people can be.

From the Washington Post -

A Michigan woman tried to hire an assassin online at RentAHitman.com. Now, she’s going to prison.
Seething and vengeful, Wendy Wein was on the lookout for the professional killer she meant to hire as she waited inside a southeastern Michigan cafe in July 2020.

Wein wanted her ex-husband dead. But she didn’t want to kill him herself and didn’t know anyone she trusted to do it for her. So she did what a lot of people do when they have a job they can’t or don’t want to do themselves — she searched for help on the Internet.

On RentAHitman.com.

What Wein found was presumably reassuring. The website promised her confidentiality. It boasted of industry awards. It showed off testimonials of satisfied customers, including one from Laura S., who had “caught my husband cheating with the babysitter.” The website bragged about complying with HIPPA, which it said was “the Hitman Information Privacy & Protection Act of 1964,” a nod to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA, the law passed in 1996 to protect patients’ medical information.

The trouble for Wein was that RentAHitman.com is a fake website. It’s not run by “Guido Fanelli,” as it claims, but by Bob Innes, a 54-year-old Northern California man who forwards any serious inquiries to law enforcement. Innes launched the site 16 years ago as part of an Internet security business that never went anywhere. Instead, it has served as a honeypot of sorts, attracting people who want to hire professional killers.

For Wein, it didn’t go well. She was arrested within days of seeking out an assassin and pleaded guilty earlier this month to solicitation of murder and using a computer to commit a crime. Under her plea agreement, she faces at least nine years in prison when she is sentenced in January.
I imagine the Washington Post story is behind a paywall, so if you can't read it, or even if you can, go to the RollingStone article they reference for a more complete story about this subject from a year ago.
filly

Post by filly »

Industry awards! Lol
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:lol:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/202 ... 8ilHXCMZ_4
Every parade has an act that draws the eye, that brings a quick smile and a delighted laugh.

An act like the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies, who with their pom-poms, sense of humor and moxie have entertained crowds across the area for decades.

Funded in 1984, they usually performed 25 times a year, although they had to take a break in the earlier months of the pandemic.

"The Grannies are kind of a really tight unit," said Beth Krohn, a retired member of the group. "We used to call it a sisterhood."

On Sunday, the women were doing what they loved best: performing, providing entertainment and bringing joy to those gathered at the Waukesha Christmas Parade.

But in an instant, when a red SUV roared down the parade route, several of the Dancing Grannies were tragically run down, with four fatalities.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

With no good excuse I just watched the film “Robin Hood” starring Russell Crowe. What a wonderfully inventive mangling of English history. :rotflmao:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kevin Spacey to pay House of Cards studio more than $30m over alleged misconduct losses
Court ruling made public on Monday finds Spacey violated his contract’s demands for professional behaviour

Associated Press
Tue 23 Nov 2021 04.19 GMT

Kevin Spacey and his production companies must pay the studio behind House of Cards more than $30m because of losses brought on by his firing for alleged sexual misconduct, according to an arbitration decision made final on Monday.

A document filed in Los Angeles superior court requesting a judge’s approval of the ruling says that the arbitrators found that Spacey violated his contract’s demands for professional behaviour by engaging in “certain conduct in connection with several crew members in each of the five seasons that he starred in and executive produced House of Cards”.

MRC, the studio behind House of Cards, had to fire Spacey, halt production of the show’s sixth season, rewrite it to remove Spacey’s central character, and shorten it from 13 to eight episodes to meet deadlines, resulting in tens of millions in losses, the document claimed.

“The safety of our employees, sets and work environments is of paramount importance to MRC and why we set out to push for accountability,“ MRC said in a statement on Monday.

A representative for Spacey did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment. His attorneys argued that the actor’s actions were not a substantial factor in the show’s losses.

The ruling came after a legal fight lasting more than three years, and an eight-day evidentiary hearing that was kept secret, along with the rest of the dispute.

Spacey appealed against the decision to a panel of three more private arbitrators, who found for the plaintiffs, making the decision final, and public, on Monday.

“MRC stood its ground, pursued this case doggedly, and obtained the right result in the end,” plaintiff’s attorney Michael Kump said in a statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... uct-losses

Return to “General Stuff”