Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

jcolvin2
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

Two thoughts:

(1) Most of the anti-boycott requirements were put in place before the Supreme Court's decision in Citizen's United, which extended full First Amendment protections to corporate entities.

(2) At least in the past, it was assumed that the entities subject to the various anti-boycott requirements were rational economic actors who held no actual sincerely-held beliefs about Israel and its policies, but were being economically coerced by Arab trading partners into boycotting Israel. ("We will not sell you our oil if you do business with Israel.") I think the purpose of the anti-Boycott requirements was to provide an offsetting economic disincentive for companies who elected to do business with the Arab world at the expense of Israel. In the case of a local Arkansas newspaper, I can't imagine that the Saudis have somehow coerced the paper into boycotting Israel.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

This has been in the courts for a bit and an appeals court in March ruled against the district court that dismissed it. I did not read the NYT opinion as I want to avoid using any limited articles for the next day or so.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/eighth-circ ... ti-bds-law

I think a petition for reahearing was filed in June. I did not know the status.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

We interrupt your regular hijack for an important public service announcement. If you don't know how to use an EpiPen, here's a quick, 2 min, tutorial that could help you save the life of someone with anaphylaxis.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled hijack.
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

This is what millions of years looks like, or put another way, the water once covered this.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Millions - really billions - of years, and still no McDonald's on the top of it. Doesn't look like it would have a lot of traffic, yesno? :smoking:

I still don't understand why anthropology gets so much criticism from the "young Earth creationists" when geologists (and many others) also say the planet upon which we live is many billions of years old.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:39 pm We interrupt your regular hijack for an important public service announcement. If you don't know how to use an EpiPen, here's a quick, 2 min, tutorial that could help you save the life of someone with anaphylaxis.

:snippity:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled hijack.
When I went to jab myself with the epipen I was shaking so bad I missed!

My husband had to do it for me.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:16 pm Millions - really billions - of years, and still no McDonald's on the top of it. Doesn't look like it would have a lot of traffic, yesno? :smoking:

I still don't understand why anthropology gets so much criticism from the "young Earth creationists" when geologists (and many others) also say the planet upon which we live is many billions of years old.
You have difficulty understanding that their deity spent his days piling up rocks so they appear to be millions of years old to the humans he created to applaud his exercise in Fake News :?:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:25 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:16 pm Millions - really billions - of years, and still no McDonald's on the top of it. Doesn't look like it would have a lot of traffic, yesno? :smoking:

You have difficulty understanding that their deity spent his days piling up rocks so they appear to be millions of years old to the humans he created to applaud his exercise in Fake News :?:
Don't be sill, Eurobot, She made the Earth out of a giant onion then turned it to stone, with a creamy center around a pip.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, she did a heck of a job, because that thing is beautiful. Maybe a Burger King ... :think:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:24 pm

When I went to jab myself with the epipen I was shaking so bad I missed!

My husband had to do it for me.
When I first starting using Imitrex, way back in 1993, it only came in a delivery system much like the Epipen. Sometimes I would sit there with my injector in hand, debating about which hurt more--the migraine, or the exquisite pain caused by the Imitrex as it entered the injection site. The injection always ultimately won, but it really was quite painful.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

There is a football game tonight. The Browns are playing... someone? I think Baltimore. Anyway, my roomie is a HUGE Browns fan. I cannot even begin to describe how big of a fan she is.
Which means I won't be going to bed anytime soon. I don't think it's even half time yet. There is much yelling at the refs, cursing. I hear "Are you kidding me?" a lot.

Hope y'all are having a good night.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I have a sweatshirt that says Cleveland Browns on it, size L, fabric in excellent condition, I never wear it (ol' Wifehorn was born in Sandusky, I inherited it from her dad). It has a few drops of paint on it. Go figure, I use my least favorite sweatshirt for painting stuff. Anyway, free to a good home, $999.99 shipping and handling, you'd be her favorite roommate forever. If she wants it, the shipping and handling is negotiable.

I got a new jacket from Amazon yesterday, no box. They folded it up, and wrapped it in thick plastic sheeting, slapped a label on and off it went, to my front porch. NO BOX? I never got anything from Amazon without a box before. My kittehs were unamused. :mad:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I've noticed that Amazon is sending less boxes now.

My older brother went to Case Western and lived in the Cleveland area for many years. He had lots of Browns stuff.

As for sleeping during a football game on tv. Been there, done it, even with the little brother screaming at the tv. It was really fun once when from the back of the room I suddenly screamed at the tv, and they though I was sleeping.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

northland10 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 am I've noticed that Amazon is sending less boxes now.

My older brother went to Case Western and lived in the Cleveland area for many years. He had lots of Browns stuff.

As for sleeping during a football game on tv. Been there, done it, even with the little brother screaming at the tv. It was really fun once when from the back of the room I suddenly screamed at the tv, and they though I was sleeping.
Amazon is all over the place with me. For the longest time I received everything from them via UPS. Then about three months ago they switched to an independent Amazon delivery service. The gal told me that I'd be getting all my deliveries from her that were under 25 pounds. That lasted about a month. Then I begain to get everytthing via USPS. Now as of last Saturday, I began to get deliveries via another private Amazon delivery service. I haven't seen a UPS truck in my neighborhood in over a month.
Il factotum
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

northland10 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 am I've noticed that Amazon is sending less boxes now.
I think that they are trying to go a little greener, but reducing the amount of packaging they use. They are also sending a lot of stuff in heavy paper envelopes that are marked as recycleable.

That said, I still get the occasional two foot box for a 3 inch item.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I put the Christmas lights out two weeks ago (not using them yet, just taking advantage of a 70-degree day). I had a HUGE Boston fern on the top front deck that had been hit by the cold weather. My son removed it, and there was a missing Hollister bag from August, shoved in behind the fern. It was delivered by Fed Ex, and we reported it missing in August. I can maybe understand hiding a package if the house were close to the street, but we are on a wooded lot and the house is 150 feet from the road. I think I might have seen a box hidden behind the fern, maybe, but no one saw the bag, even looking for it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Mr. Anal Language Weenie, on my staff, is so goddam picky it's just embarrassing. :oopsy:

He says that sentence - like so many sentences found out there, roaming in the wild - would be 100x better if you substituted the word 'fewer'. He advises that you say the sentence out loud with each word, and see which one sounds better.

I'd kick his damn ass if'n he weren't right. :mad:
noblepa wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:43 amI think that they are trying to go a little greener, but reducing the amount of packaging they use.
Well this jacket was packaged in fairly heavy (maybe 4 mil) plastic sheeting, which does a good job protecting the product when it's clothing, but it seems a little less* green than a nice biodegradable cardboard box.

*Mr. Anal Language Weenie approved the use of the word 'less' in this instance (I checked in advance) on the ground that it's not referring to a number, like the number of boxes Amazon is sending. In this case, it wouldn't even make sense to say "it seems a little fewer green."

It's a Levi's trucker jacket, corduroy with a Sherpa fleece lining, color is 'pine needle' (moar, not less or fewer green), and I want to tell you, it is warm, it is sturdy, it is cut perfectly and could not, simply could not fit me any better. I'm having a little trouble wearing it because the cats have impounded it for the fleece lining. But I am so in love with this jacket. It came with a $98.00 retail price tag, and I paid $56 for it.

'Course, I oughta make them kittehs kick down some of what I paid, if'n they're just gonna take it away from me. :mad:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

…says the vocal chords guy. :roll: :lol:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve been sick in bed unable to do more than turn over since Friday. Bad cold, worst I’ve had in decades.

Going back to sleep now.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm I’ve been sick in bed unable to do more than turn over since Friday. Bad cold, worst I’ve had in decades.

Going back to sleep now.
:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:55 pm :snippity:
Well this jacket was packaged in fairly heavy (maybe 4 mil) plastic sheeting, which does a good job protecting the product when it's clothing, but it seems a little less* green than a nice biodegradable cardboard box.
:snippity:
While it seems correct for the disposal side, various voices claim plastic is more efficient on the production side: producing cardboard requires a serious amount of energie, mostly fossil, whereas the plastic is a direct derivate from oil.

Of course a greener view is to collect cardboard and recycle it rather than discard it in a degradable manner.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:55 pm
Mr. Anal Language Weenie, on my staff, is so goddam picky it's just embarrassing. :oopsy:

He says that sentence - like so many sentences found out there, roaming in the wild - would be 100x better if you substituted the word 'fewer'. He advises that you say the sentence out loud with each word, and see which one sounds better.

I'd kick his damn ass if'n he weren't right. :mad:
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the grammar bed this morning. Since it was the morning, I will plead lack of coffee for the error. You'd think I'd figure that out as many times as Grammarly mentioned it (and even Microsoft on some days). I may have also been ignoring it.

Saying it out loud rarely helps. I talk English even worser.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My family just threatened to buy me a t-shirt from a catalog that said, I am silently correcting your grammar.

Return to “General Stuff”