Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Northland 10, this one’s for you.

Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Sheril Kirshenbaum
@Sheril@mastodon.social
“If the World were 100 People”

25 are children
75 are adults (9 are 65+)

60 Asians
16 Africans
14 people from the Americas
10 Europeans

31 Christians
23 Muslims
16 people w/o religion
15 Hindus
7 Buddhists
8 other

Languages:
12 Chinese
6 Spanish
5 English
4 Hindi
3 Arabic
3 Bengali
3 Portuguese
2 Russian
2 Japanese
60 other

86 can read & write
7 have a college degree
40 have Internet
78 have shelter
91 have access to safe drinking water

Source: 100people.org based on 2016 #data
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I feel for the 8 people who can read and write, but have no shelter. And the 9 without safe drinking water are not going to be around for long. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:14 am I feel for the 8 people who can read and write, but have no shelter. And the 9 without safe drinking water are not going to be around for long. :(
Also, 22 have no shelter. That might sound worse than 78 do.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I did wonder about that. At least 8 of the people without shelter can read and write, as I noted above.

But you can only survive without shelter in a limited number of places on the globe. Like, not Canada. An Earthling cannot survive in Canada without shelter. Or Ukraine. Or our nation's capital, actually.

I am not talking about homeless people in North American cities. Those are mental health issues, primarily. And even the mentally ill homeless have to find shelter - or a heating grate outdoors, of which there are many in Washington, D.C. - on nights when the temperature really drops.

And yet, 22% x 8 billion Earthlings = 1,760,000,000 of us without shelter.

A billion and three fourths. Ten million more than a billion and three fourths, actually.

Shelter isn't rocket surgery. It's, IMHO, a fundamental right.

Stuff like this is hard to get my mind around, for several reasons. :think:

We live in a world of so many wonders. We see so many people who are basically good people. How can we allow almost a quarter of our population to live with no shelter? How can we possibly allow something like that?

It's surreal. It's mind-boggling. And above all, it's an OUTRAGE. :mad:
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Unfortunately, Maher's statement that crack heads and people who do it on purpose are the only ones that leave their babies in the back of the car, is sadly not true.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Not a fan of Maher…
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:56 pm Unfortunately, Maher's statement that crack heads and people who do it on purpose are the only ones that leave their babies in the back of the car, is sadly not true.
And you substantiate that with ?

To me Bill Maher is simply a voice (though not one I agree with).

The question to me (which may evolve into it’s own thread) is whether there already exists laws to prosecute such actions as he describes.
And what does this issue have to do with infrastructure????

Oh my, we voted these folks in ………
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

pjhimself wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:56 pm Unfortunately, Maher's statement that crack heads and people who do it on purpose are the only ones that leave their babies in the back of the car, is sadly not true.

The question to me (which may evolve into it’s own thread) is whether there already exists laws to prosecute such actions as he describes.

HEATSTROKE FACTS

The majority of hot car deaths — 53% — happen because someone forgets a child in a car. You may be asking yourself: How does this happen? Families who lost a loved one thought the same thing at one point, but then the tragedy happened to them. In 2019, we saw the highest number of deaths, 53, because children were forgotten, according to Jan Null, who has been tracking vehicular heatstroke deaths since 1998. Among the trends he discovered over the years:

About 46% of the time when a child was forgotten, the caregiver meant to drop the child off at a daycare or preschool.
Thursdays and Fridays — the end of the workweek — have had the highest deaths.
More than half of the deaths (54%) are children under 2 years old.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/child-safety/you- ... car-deaths
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Thanks for the response. Good stuff.
But are there not existing statutes to deal with these transgressions?
This isn’t an argument/exchange I will pursue.
These crimes deserve prosecution, new legislation, why ? Don’t we have existing laws ????

I only raise the question…….
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

pjhimself wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:01 pm Thanks for the response. Good stuff.
These crimes deserve prosecution, new legislation, why ? Don’t we have existing laws ????

I suppose it is one of those value equations. What’s worth more, ~1k child deaths over twenty five years or the cost of detecting a child in the back seat?
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

pjhimself wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 pm

Here in Ohio, people have been prosecuted for felony child endangerment for leaving young children unattended in a locked automobile. I believe that there have been at least a few prosecutions for 2nd degree murder or manslaughter, in cases in which the child tragically dies.

"And what does this issue have to do with infrastructure????".

I think Maher was making just this point. Apparently this provision was inserted into the Infrastructure bill that the WH pushed.

And I do think that there are people who stupidly, or inadvertantly leave a child in a car. A few years ago, my next door neighbor had a garage sale and one of her customers parked in front of my house. I had no problem with that, but my visiting sister noticed that the lady left a young child strapped in a child seat in the back seat of the car. It wasn't terribly hot that day, and the lady wasn't gone very long, but my sister indignantly chased her and berated her for leaving the child. The lady wasn't happy, but IIRC, she did come back and get the child.

In one of the cases in which a baby died, the father claimed that he simply forgot that the sleeping baby was in the back seat. As crazy and stupid as that sounds, I believed him.

I'm not sure how an alarm system could detect an unattended child, but if they are going to require such an alarm, it could be keyed to the ambient temperature. Within a certain non-lethal temperature range, it could allow a short (<10 minute) grace period. Outside that range (too hot or too cold), it would go off immediately. It could simply constantly flash the lights and sound the horn. Hopefully, someone would come to investigate and rescue the baby.

While GM's OnStar (not sure what Ford and others call their systems) is optional, if active, it would be an easy matter for OnStar to call the police and report the incident. I know that OnStar already has the capability to call the police if my Chevy goes off the road or rolls over.
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

pjhimself wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:01 pm Thanks for the response. Good stuff.

Yes, there are laws to prosecute people who leave children in locked cars.

But, playing the devil's advocate here, such an alarm system would make if harder for the "crackheads and people who do it on purpose" to do it in the first place, by sounding an alarm when the system detects a child alone in a locked car.

OTOH, car theft alarms are pretty commonplace these days. It is not unusual to hear one going off in a parking lot. When that happens, I have never seen anyone call the police or even walk over to investigate. They simply stare at the offending vehicle and swear at the owner who doesn't come to shut it off. I suppose the auto insurance companies have some statistics on the effectiveness of theft alarms, but I've never seen them.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Good discussion for the Hijack thread, it will be buried soon enough without cluttering up the serious political topics. :biggrin:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -woke.html

won't write a story about Qanon, either
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was just talking to my sister and the subject of the Lunar New Year came up. It is now the year of the Rabbit. Apparently my sister had looked up all of our family's birth dates to see which animal we corresponded to, and each of us corresponded to a different animal. All nine of us. I was born in the year of the dragon.
Lani

Hijack This Thread

Post by Lani »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:56 amI was just talking to my sister and the subject of the Lunar New Year came up. It is now the year of the Rabbit. Apparently my sister had looked up all of our family's birth dates to see which animal we corresponded to, and each of us corresponded to a different animal. All nine of us. I was born in the year of the dragon
I loved the Joy Luck Club novel. Then I learned I was a tiger and my son was a horse, like a family in the novel... It's interesting.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Hey I've just been cancelled!

My Apple Pay account has been shut down and I have to re-register my device, but I don't understand what device they are talking about. And why is a record company contacting me about this anyway? Are Beatles records only supplied on lease? Do I have to keep paying Paul forever? Am I going to get into trouble for playing Hey Jude 30,000 times?

And when did Apple start providing 'accounts'? And when did I get one? Is this part of my redemption account that is set up at birth? Oh man, I gotta figure out how to get it unblocked toot sweet cause SWMBO has got us booked on a train trip that costing thousands of dollars and I could use the money.

But how did my Apple Pay account get cancelled in the first place? If'n its one of them SovCit redemption accounts thingies it has to be Contitutionally Guaranteed by the 14th Amendments (government debts are guaranteed)

Oh, gawd, I accidentally blocked the number that sent me the SMS about it. How do I find them again to sort this out? I'm in trouble!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:53 am Hey I've just been cancelled!

My Apple Pay account has been shut down and I have to re-register my device, but I don't understand what device they are talking about. And why is a record company contacting me about this anyway? Are Beatles records only supplied on lease? Do I have to keep paying Paul forever? Am I going to get into trouble for playing Hey Jude 30,000 times?

And when did Apple start providing 'accounts'? And when did I get one? Is this part of my redemption account that is set up at birth? Oh man, I gotta figure out how to get it unblocked toot sweet cause SWMBO has got us booked on a train trip that costing thousands of dollars and I could use the money.

But how did my Apple Pay account get cancelled in the first place? If'n its one of them SovCit redemption accounts thingies it has to be Contitutionally Guaranteed by the 14th Amendments (government debts are guaranteed)

Oh, gawd, I accidentally blocked the number that sent me the SMS about it. How do I find them again to sort this out? I'm in trouble!
I'll trade you my multiple times a day imaginary Venmo texts for your Apple texts.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

keith wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:53 am Hey I've just been cancelled!
:snippity:
I will sooth your troubles by donating my collection of Walmart gift cards to you 8-)
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

I received a Venmo for $125 from someone I don't know for something I didn't sell out of the blue. I contacted Venmo and they said it was a scam and the person would ask me to return the money, then later it would turn out that the money was from a stolen credit card and get reversed out of my account and I would be out $125 without recourse. They said to ignore it and it would sort itself out and the money would disappear. Well, the sender contacted me as expected and asked for the money he erroneously sent me back, as expected. He also swore up and down that he wasn't a scam, and that he meant to pay someone with a name one letter off of mine. I told him what Venmo told me and to pound sand or get Venmo to reverse it. I also contacted Venmo about reversing it on their end, without danger to me. They promptly ignored me. Now, two weeks later, I'm afraid to use my Venmo account that still has $125 sitting in it that isn't mine. And I'm starting to feel bad that maybe this was an accident and I'm holding onto someone's money when I shouldn't be. Arg. I suppose I'll just give it a bit more time and try to contact Venmo again.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:56 am I was born in the year of the dragon.
I got what I've been told is supposed to be a "very powerful" combination of Scorpio in western astrology and year of the dragon in Chinese astrology. I don't think that fits me very well, though.

Return to “General Stuff”