Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:49 am
keith wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:40 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:51 am Why is there this crazy sense of satisfaction every time the checkbook balances to the penny on the first crack through the monthly statement?
What is a checkbook?
Sorry. I'll spell it in the Queen's King's English: Chequebooke.

A booke of banque cheques. A convenient method of executing one's financial responsibilities via the post. On a regular basis, total the sums, and compare them to the banque records to ensure they have done their duty correctly.
Ah, i think i know what you mean. My computer has been telling me I have a $19.65 balance in a chequeing account for the last 15 years. And my little book of PERSONAL (not BANK or BANQUE) cheques is so far down in the archaeological dig that is my desk drawer that I would need to mount a yuge expedition to find it. I mean yuge. It might be a 2 scotch search, its so yuge.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/20/animal ... ege-study/
"The concept of privilege — differential access to inherited resources — is familiar in the context of human economic and social systems, but many other animals also transfer some forms of wealth across generations," the authors of the study wrote. "Although some of these examples are well known to workers within particular animal systems, there have been few efforts to understand the implications of privilege within a comparative evolutionary context."

"In North American red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus), a mother may store spruce cones on her territory and privilege her daughter by bequeathing a rich territory to her; daughters who receive these resources survive longer and reproduce earlier than those without," the researchers wrote.

They note that this squirrel privilege can perpetuate for many generations, and perpetuate what humans might call class divisions among animals.

"Intergenerational transfer of material wealth can drive inequality within family lineages of animals," the researchers wrote.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

The human race at 8 billion

https://www.axios.com/2022/11/14/global ... -humans-un
Why it matters: People are living longer, with generally better access to health care, food, clean water and sanitation than in past generations. A smaller share of humans live in extreme poverty.

There are still challenges — ongoing ramifications from the pandemic, a record number of forcibly displaced people and worsening climate change.

“It is a momentous milestone for humanity," Natalia Kanem, executive director of the U.N. Population Fund (UNFPA), told reporters last month.

"Some express concerns that our world is overpopulated with far too many people and insufficient resources to sustain their lives. I am here to say clearly, that the sheer number of human lives is not a cause for fear."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireSt ... g-93269217
WASHINGTON -- “Here Comes the Bride” will be heard at the White House very soon. Again.

Naomi Biden, the granddaughter of President Joe Biden, and Peter Neal are getting married on the South Lawn on Saturday in what will be the 19th wedding in White House history.

It will be the first wedding with a president's granddaughter as the bride, and the first one in that location, according to the White House Historical Association.

A mutual friend set up Naomi Biden, 28, and Neal, 25, about four years ago in New York City and the White House said they have been together ever since. Naomi Biden is a lawyer; her father is Hunter Biden. Neal recently graduated from the University of Pennsylvania law school. The couple lives in Washington.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

Bunch of Veterans Day photos tracked across my FB feeds. Thought I'd share a couple. One is a very famous TV actor (sometimes on the silver screen too), the other is a very famous country/western singer.

Ooh, trivia and a big hint: both of them were featured on an episode of Columbo.
Edit: to clarify, separate episodes of Columbo, not the same episode.
Attachments
cash.jpg
cash.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 582 times
nemoy.jpg
nemoy.jpg (105.47 KiB) Viewed 582 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Johnny Cash. Leonard Nimoy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:53 pm Johnny Cash. Leonard Nimoy.
That was quick. I'm waiting to stump the lads at the office.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

You should take the names off if ya wanna stump them.
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:00 pm You should take the names off if ya wanna stump them.
Ya,I figured that out afterwards :oldlady:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:13 pm
can you screenshot? the tweets are protected
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s also a video. Try this :

AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:13 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:00 pm You should take the names off if ya wanna stump them.
I really didn't see the names, but that's a good point. I got Nimoy immediately. Cash took a little longer.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Even after I saw the name I didn’t see Cash. I don’t know who that guy is :lol: Do you think it look like him?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:25 pm Even after I saw the name I didn’t see Cash. I don’t know who that guy is :lol: Do you think it look like him?
I mostly saw it in his lips. :biggrin:
keith

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:53 pm Johnny Cash. Leonard Nimoy.
That was quick. I'm waiting to stump the lads at the office.
Um, the names are in the post under the photo.

But I too recognized them from the photo alone.

Edit. Sorry. Ninja's by others.
Kendra

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:22 pm
Kendra wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:13 pm
I really didn't see the names, but that's a good point. I got Nimoy immediately. Cash took a little longer.
So handsome. I seem to recall him being in a couple of old Wagon Train episodes (or similar wester shows).
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've been over checking in on my 90 year old dad again this week. The big project this time was replacing his 10 year old Dell with Windows 8 on it which was getting flaky (and Win8 is going EOL in January as well). This is kind of a big deal as he's very techno illiterate even though he's incredibly smart in every other way. In the process of migrating everything over I had to copy his old Outlook .pst file and add it to Outlook on the new computer. He had over 5,000 unread emails.

Now, my dad has in the past given small donations to the DNC, specific candidates and some general causes like the Sierra Club. I knew he got a lot of snail mail from these groups and his phone rings an awful lot. What I didn't know was how inundated his email was with requests for donations. He's getting between 100 and 150 emails a day from every liberal group imaginable and 90% of them are all the same thing: the sky is falling, we need money now or it'll be the end of the world. My dad is angry about it and won't donate to any of them anymore. I kind of don't blame him.

The next trip over we're going to spend time unsubscribing him from a whole lot of email lists.

Anyway, just venting a little.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

That used to happen even before email.

When I graduated law school and began making money, in 1984, I joined the ACLU and a couple other groups. Union of Concerned Scientists was one. I joined maybe 3 or 4 groups, and suddenly my mailbox was filled with the same things your dad gets - the sky is falling, we need money now or it'll be the end of the world. From dozens of groups I never heard of.

In 1984.

I haven't checked lately, did the world end? :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

I have a Yahoo email account that I set up almost 20 years ago to get junk mail, like from stores, etc. It was okay until I gave money to a politician in Wisconsin. Since then, I'm on just about every liberal politician (and some conservative) email list. It's just crazy. I am in the process of setting up a new email account on Outlook to be as unpolitical as possible. I will never use it for that. It will take a while, but I'll gradually move things from Yahoo that I want. I do have two other accounts through Fastmail (pobox) that I have kept junk out of, plus it's very good at getting rid of spam. It's not free, but it's worth it, and I do not give it out very often.
keith

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

OK, this is annoying, I couldn't figure out an appropriate thread to put this in, but it deserves some attention.

Do we have a BLM thread or something like that that I couldn't see? Sometimes I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. Oh well...

How These Phoenix Radio Hosts Became Owners of White Lives Matter Trademark
As hosts of Civic Cipher, a nationally syndicated radio show dedicated to discussing issues of race and social justice, hosts Ramses Ja and Quinton Ward aren't afraid to engage with challenging topics and hard questions about what's going on in society.

But even they found themselves initially daunted by the prospect of owning the trademark for racist catchphrase White Lives Matter.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well-played!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://americansofconscience.com/11-18-2022/
Good News

Corporate/business
The Grow with Google Digital Coaches program expands to train Indigenous businesses with the help of a new Indigenous Community Digital Coach.
Shake ’N Bake retires their plastic shaker bags, which will save 900,000 pounds of plastic waste annually.
The latest edition of Scrabble’s official dictionary does not include 200 slurs and other offensive words.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Peta launches $1m competition to find vegan wool alternative
Campaign group says industry is cruel to sheep and wool is more environmentally damaging than most synthetic fibres

Lauren Cochrane
Thu 17 Nov 2022 17.32 GMT

It is jumper season, but your common or garden woollies may soon be a thing of the past: the animal rights group Peta has launched a competition this week to find a vegan alternative to wool that comes with a $1m (£860,500) prize.

The Vegan Wool Challenge Award promises the prize money to the first person or company to develop a material that convincingly resembles sheep wool in its texture, functionality and appearance, and has a major clothing brand invest into the material.

Innovative entries are expected. “From flowers and fruit to hemp and soya beans, options are limitless when it comes to creating animal-free clothing and accessories,” said Peta’s vice-president for Europe, Mimi Bekhechi. “Peta is delighted to foster innovation that will help protect animals and halt the environmental destruction caused by animal agriculture.”

The competition comes at a time when new biomaterials – typically made from natural substances without harming the environment – are becoming more popular in fashion. Mycelium, an alternative to bovine leather made from fungi, is the most successful. It is now used by brands including Stella McCartney, Ganni and Balenciaga. According to the nonprofit organisation Material Innovation Initiative, investments in the burgeoning industry have reached $2.3bn (£1.94bn) since 2015.

There are existing vegan wool alternatives. Tencel and bamboo can be used, as well as Nullarbor, made from coconut by-products. In 2019, a group of Colombian university students won an award for Woocoa, a wool-like material made from coconut and hemp.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... lternative
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

keith wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:49 pm
How These Phoenix Radio Hosts Became Owners of White Lives Matter Trademark
As hosts of Civic Cipher, a nationally syndicated radio show dedicated to discussing issues of race and social justice, hosts Ramses Ja and Quinton Ward aren't afraid to engage with challenging topics and hard questions about what's going on in society.

But even they found themselves initially daunted by the prospect of owning the trademark for racist catchphrase White Lives Matter.
Not a lawya, so genuine question: can one own a trademark in that way? My verrrrry limited recollection of IP talks suggested (iirc) that one must use a trademark and defend it against misappropriation in order to retain rights over it. But that would probably have been in a European context.

I recall market stalls selling, for example, a well-known cleaning product from a major manufacturers in its usual distinctive container but with unusual labels showing a different product name, thus protecting rights over the (otherwise unused) name from lapsing through disuse.

It's that sort of issue a problem here?

And what about prior use? Can one really squat over a previously used phrase of name in that way?

Return to “General Stuff”