Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

People say there's no such thing as a free lunch, but I can assure you there is free parking in downtown Portland if you bring the guy in the booth a slice of pizza.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

My first car was a dark blue 1982 Plymouth Reliant K-Car. It did not have AC, which made my trips home to South Texas challenging. I crossed the country several times in that car, once making it from NYC to Seattle in just under 48 hours. Unlike all of my subsequent cars, the Reliant did not make it to 100,000 miles.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

bill_g wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:44 pm People say there's no such thing as a free lunch, but I can assure you there is free parking in downtown Portland if you bring the guy in the booth a slice of pizza.
The parking guy appears to have received a free lunch.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

jcolvin2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:00 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:44 pm People say there's no such thing as a free lunch, but I can assure you there is free parking in downtown Portland if you bring the guy in the booth a slice of pizza.
!
duck dodgers
Verified: ✅ Until 23,500

Post by duck dodgers »

First car was a 1966 forest green VW microbus. No heater to speak of (in WI). Kept an ice-scraper in front in the winter to scrape the frost off the inside of the windshield. Went to a drive-in movie and darn thing conked out on the way home. I had to push it a ways down US 51 (good thing it was not heavy) at one am with a line of cars behind. Seems the carburetor float broke off or something allowing gas into the engine oil. That was its demise.
"You can syndicate any boat you row"
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Didn’t they all? Boy, do I remember the conkings out n college.

My first was an 4 cyl Opel Kadet w/ electrical problems. It wouldn’t start when it was raining, had recently rained, or was very humid. In Virginia, that was, like, every day, so I got good at finding inclines to park on so I could jump start it. George Mason, when I attended, was a commuter college, still a satellite of UVA and located in a field on the edge of Fairfax. The parking lot wasn’t paved (such a muddy mess in the rain) and was flat so I’d always park in the row at the far end where the fence was broken. I’d go straight down the embankment to the sports fields :mrgreen: then take a paved path back up to the road.

My friends thought I was crazy.

ETA I kept an ice scraper in my glove box for a few years after I moved to LA. After it being such a necessity in winter back East I didn’t trust I wouldn’t need one -SOME DAY - here. :lol:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:02 am
keith wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:06 am
MsDaisy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 pm Nostalgia, ☺ My first car, I was 19. My dad bought me a brand new Mustang, 1976, black with red leather interior. It was a 4 speed and I had no idea how to drive a clutch at the time, but it didn’t take long for me to learn. I was a completely spoiled brat at the time. And pretty much stayed that way until my dad died in 1986. That was very sad.

1976 Mustang.png
So, Sally... where'dya get the 'Daisy' nom-de-plumb?
Gawd knows, I've had lots of nicknames, my dad always called me Lil Doc because I loved Bugs Bunny and always ran around with a carrot saying "What's up Doc". All of my cousins (all 10+ years older than me) called me Sput, short for Sputnik because I was born in 57. Daisy came from Daisy Dukes way back in the day. :lol:
I hope you got that I was riffing on Mustang Sally
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

My first car in 1987 was a 1967 snot green with rust-red highlights Chevy Nova. Sadly it had the 6-cylinder 250 and not the larger v8. On the way to the park for my day camp lifeguard job, I would stop at the gas station to fill up the oil and check the gas. When I locked my keys in the car I need not bother with the slim jim or a coat hanger (somebody earlier has sawed the top off of the locks anyway), I just kick the door.

It did not have one of those start it with vice grip features so I still had to use a key for that.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My first car was an electric blue 1972 pinto. (The one my idiot father traded in his '67 Mustang for)

But prolly my favorite car was a 1968 Catalina convertible land yacht, named Eunice. Unlike the pic below she had really oxidized paint, and you had to short out the switch with a screwdriver to operate the top, but for loading with friends & cruising over the hill to Santa Cruz she was the best.
Estiveoshot_20211012_063556.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

“Reddog wrote: ↑
Rit Dye Powdered Fabric Dye, White Wash, 1 7/8-Ounce ??
Our White-Wash is your solution, a chlorine-free bleach and whitener combined that is specifically formulated to brighten dingy white fabrics “

I figured that.

I always remember when I was about 5 years old my sister home from college started the conversation she got from a lecture.

It was the age old paradox:
A. White light (blackbody radiation) is all visible colors in the spectrum combined, ROYGBIV in a rainbow. Conversely black is the absence of any visible light. RGB TVs combine all 3 to get white on a TV. Adding colors got closer to white. White LEDs use the same technology.
B. White, the color is the absence of any pigments, conversely black is theoretically all colors combined.
Trying as much as I could, I could never find enough watercolors to get a good black, it always turned into a muddy brown.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

jcolvin2 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:00 pm
He did not, he stole it from his employer.

Also, a funny from Charlie Kirk, TPUSA:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-10- ... /100532454

"When I first started, I was pretty sure the Illuminati didn't exist. And I obviously came out knowing that they don't exist."

Walls has turned the experience into a musical for Melbourne's Fringe festival, though that wasn't the plan when they started the journey.

"I definitely was just trolling … I'm so bored. Let's just have fun on Reddit and Discord, trolling these people," they said.

"But then as I started to get into it, I just built up so many kind of beautiful, but dramatic friendships that I was just, like, this has to be a musical."
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/12/10452441 ... tereotypes
Lego says it will work to rid its toys of harmful gender bias

The Danish toy company announced Monday that it will work to remove gender stereotypes from its products and marketing, citing the results of a worldwide survey that found general attitudes towards kids' play and creative careers remain "unequal and restrictive."

"The benefits of creative play such as building confidence, creativity and communication skills are felt by all children and yet we still experience age-old stereotypes that label activities as only being suitable for one specific gender," Julia Goldin, Lego's chief marketing officer, said in a statement, adding that "at the LEGO Group we know we have a role to play in putting this right."

Lego partnered with the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media — a research organization that advocates for equal representation of women — to explore whether parents and kids see creativity as gendered. It surveyed nearly 7,000 people in seven countries and released its findings to coincide with the United Nations' International Day of the Girl.

"New research commissioned by the LEGO Group reveals that girls today feel increasingly confident to engage in all types of play and creative activities, but remain held back by society's ingrained gender stereotypes as they grow older," it said.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Elk with car tyre stuck around its neck for two years is free at last
Wildlife officials in Colorado successfully remove obstruction from bull elk at fourth attempt this week

Staff and agencies
Tue 12 Oct 2021 01.44 BST

Wildlife officials in Colorado say an elusive elk that wandered the hills with a car tyre around his neck for at least two years has at last been freed.

The four-and-a-half-year-old, 270kg (600lb) bull elk was spotted near Pine Junction, south-west of Denver, on Saturday evening and tranquillised, according to Colorado Parks and Wildlife. It was the fourth attempt wildlife officers had made in the past week to try to capture and help him.

Officers with the agency had to cut off the elk’s five-point antlers to remove the object because they couldn’t slice through the steel in the bead of the tyre.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ee-at-last
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Captain Kirk flew to outer space today! :thumbsup:
tek

Post by tek »

MsDaisy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:28 pm Captain Kirk flew to outer space today! :thumbsup:
from Wonkette:
Honestly, what with Shatner going into space in a giant dildo, I increasingly begin to suspect I've woken up in some kind of Mel Brooks movie.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

tek wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:28 pm Captain Kirk flew to outer space today! :thumbsup:
from Wonkette:
Honestly, what with Shatner going into space in a giant dildo, I increasingly begin to suspect I've woken up in some kind of Mel Brooks movie.
:lol:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

tek wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:05 pm
from Wonkette:
I thought that was an exaggeration.

medium_image_1329693390.jpg
medium_image_1329693390.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 582 times

I wuz wrong. :lol:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Top results:
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.56.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.56.38 PM.png (205.6 KiB) Viewed 564 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/seve ... y-n1281466
OSLO, Norway — A man armed with a bow and arrow killed five people and wounded two others in a series of attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, local police said.

The suspect was in custody, police added.

"The man used a bow and arrow ... for some of the attacks," police chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters. The police were investigating whether other weapons had also been used, he said.

"The man has been apprehended ... from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone," Aas added.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

The Kongsberg murders are weird. So far the police are saying very little, and won't release any information about the victims. The police started receiving reports of attacks at 18:13 and arrested the man at 18:47, so it didn't take very long.

Norwegian quality newspaper Aftenposten states:
Aftenposten understands that the perpetrator is an ethnic Norwegian man who converted to Islam.
You can work out what "ethnic Norwegian" ("en etnisk norsk mann") means in this context. I think what they are trying to say is that he isn't an immigrant or someone with a dark skin, so certain hateful speculation would be inappropriate.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

jcolvin2 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:59 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:08 pm I know he lives in Iowa, no idea which town (there are many, many towns in Iowa). I don't have a phone number. I'm skunked. :shrug:
Western Iowa - Sioux City if I remember correctly.
No. Too many killings going on in that town.
Largo al factotum.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

ZEKE!!! :dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
mimi

Post by mimi »

Zeke!

You had us worried sick. Don’t scare me like that. :fingerwag:

I tried to PM but that didn’t work.

Anyhoo, it’s so good to see your post. :bighug: Good to know you are ok.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

:bighug:

Return to “General Stuff”