Hijack This Thread

Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

:mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

OMG, that's one of those "What is the world coming to?" moments. What's the point of destroying magnificent art, anywhere, any time?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

It's the devils word, not Christian art, not the old white man with a long beard posing as a shepard :twisted:

Likely the person was mentally unstable and thought those faces had a bad intent when looking at him when he looked at them.
Reuter wrote:the man was in his 50s and had "behaved strangely."
also too
Reuter wrote:The two busts were damaged but not severely, the source said, adding that they already had been taken to the restoration lab in the museums for repair.
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

A little JB Weld will fix that right up! ;)
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Google Velma

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Gupwalla

Hijack This Thread

Post by Gupwalla »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:05 pm OMG, that's one of those "What is the world coming to?" moments. What's the point of destroying magnificent art, anywhere, any time?
Maybe the ghost of Savonarola is out for his revenge. Or Leo III.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Fascinating @fasc1nate wrote: This 5,000-year-old prosthetic eye found near Zabol in Iran is the oldest in history. It was made from tar and animal fat and painted gold. The wearer was a 6' tall priestess.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

If it's not political ads on TV, it's ads for healthcare insurance.

Good grief.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Open season for Medicare.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Chilidog »

Thursday night football

colts v broncos.

snooze fest

zzzzzzszz
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Organic chemistry course? Of course it is hard. If organic chemistry was easy everyone would understand it and salaries would drop.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

At N.Y.U., Students Were Failing Organic Chemistry. Who Was to Blame?
Maitland Jones Jr., a respected professor, defended his standards. But students started a petition, and the university dismissed him.

By Stephanie Saul
Oct. 3, 2022

In the field of organic chemistry, Maitland Jones Jr. has a storied reputation. He taught the subject for decades, first at Princeton and then at New York University, and wrote an influential textbook. He received awards for his teaching, as well as recognition as one of N.Y.U.’s coolest professors.

But last spring, as the campus emerged from pandemic restrictions, 82 of his 350 students signed a petition against him.

Students said the high-stakes course — notorious for ending many a dream of medical school — was too hard, blaming Dr. Jones for their poor test scores.

The professor defended his standards. But just before the start of the fall semester, university deans terminated Dr. Jones’s contract.

The officials also had tried to placate the students by offering to review their grades and allowing them to withdraw from the class retroactively. The chemistry department’s chairman, Mark E. Tuckerman, said the unusual offer to withdraw was a “one-time exception granted to students by the dean of the college.”

Marc A. Walters, director of undergraduate studies in the chemistry department, summed up the situation in an email to Dr. Jones, before his firing.

He said the plan would “extend a gentle but firm hand to the students and those who pay the tuition bills,” an apparent reference to parents.

The university’s handling of the petition provoked equal and opposite reactions from both the chemistry faculty, who protested the decisions, and pro-Jones students, who sent glowing letters of endorsement.

The deans are obviously going for some bottom line, and they want happy students who are saying great things about the university so more people apply and the U.S. News rankings keep going higher,” said Paramjit Arora, a chemistry professor who has worked closely with Dr. Jones.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/us/n ... ition.html
ps. somewhere it was mentioned that the petition did not ask for the firing of the professor
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

July 1960.png
July 1960.png (299.88 KiB) Viewed 605 times
This is my big sister Vicki and I 1960, I was 3 and she was 5, and even though her body grew up normally 5 years old is exactly where she stayed for the rest of her life. She was daddy’s little girl that never grew up and he loved her and spoiled her rotten but always worried about what would happen to her after he was gone. Of course he loved me too and according to my mother I was exactly like my father, hardheaded & stubborn and I promised him I would never let her be put into any kind of institution where she could be mistreated as long as I lived. I kept that promise and my sister died peacefully in her bed at home with me in August 2003. Today would have been her 67th birthday, happy birthday Vickaroo! She was such a goober. :lovestruck:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Happy Birthday, Vickaroo. :bighug:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Happy Birthday, Vickaroo!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 205486001/
Michigan lawyer running for judge caught on camera allegedly belt-whipping girlfriend

Two weeks after winning the August primary, judicial candidate Jason Kolkema appeared to viciously whip his girlfriend with a belt during an argument in his western Michigan apartment, presumably unaware that nearby witnesses were recording the scene.

When he noticed the onlookers from his window, the 51-year-old lawyer flashed them the peace sign, and has since claimed the video isn't what it seems: He was striking a chair with his belt, not his girlfriend, the woman and his lawyer have maintained.

But the video triggered criminal charges – and a tsunami of public outrage in the city of Muskegon, which borders Lake Michigan and is about 40 miles northwest of Grand Rapids.

In a scandalous judicial election that has stirred much debate in western Michigan, the topic of domestic violence has taken center stage as women's rights activists fight to keep Kolkema off the bench, arguing he isn't fit to be judge, especially in cases involving battered women and vulnerable children.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Happy Birthday, Big Sister.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Ex-partner of Ukrainian ‘heiress’ who infiltrated Mar-a-Lago club shot outside Canada resort
Valeriy Tarasenko was left with ‘significant injuries’ but expected to survive, according to Quebec police

Edward Helmore
Sat 8 Oct 2022 19.54 BST

An associate of the Ukrainian woman who posed as a member of the Rothschild banking family at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club was reportedly shot outside a lakeside resort north-west of Montreal, Canadian newspaper LaPresse has reported.

The shooting left Valeriy Tarasenko, 44, with “significant injuries”, but he was expected to survive, said the Sûreté du Québec, the Quebec provincial police. The police said it had launched a search for the shooter and any accomplices behind the attack.

Tarasenko is known as a former business partner of Inna Yashchyshyn, a Russian-speaking Ukrainian immigrant who was identified by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project over the summer for posing as “Anna de Rothschild” at Mar-a-Lago.

Quebec police told LaPresse that they were trying to “shed some light on the circumstances that led to the injuries of the victim”. But for now, “to protect the investigation, no other detail can be shared”, the police added.

Tarasenko, who was born in Ukraine and raised in Moscow, told the Post-Gazette and OCCRP that he had hired Yashchyshyn in 2014 to live in his Miami condo and watch his two daughters while he traveled on business.

The FBI, according to the report, has been looking into a Miami charity, United Hearts of Mercy, Yashchyshyn launched in 2015 and carries the same name as a nonprofit founded by Tarasenko in Canada in 2010.

According to a statement by the charity’s accountant that was turned over to the FBI, the charity, established to collect money for impoverished children, was in fact a front for organized crime.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -lago-shot
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer

Hijack This Thread

You gotta do what you gotta to keep the elections secure.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Now they only need to document how they are protecting themselves from bamboo ballots :twisted:
Azastan
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Azastan »

I haven't been commenting much lately but thought I should update about the travails regarding Kid Rock, one of worst singers on the planet and also my extremely unpleasant freeloader kidney stone.

After a couple of x rays determined that Kid Rock hadn't moved even a millimetre since he landed me in the ER more than a month ago, it was determined that a lithotripsy was necessary.

Last Tuesday I had the lithotripsy--but the urologist couldn't find the big lug on the fluoroscope and so I got the extra special lithotripsy where I got to have a catheter inserted so that a camera could peer into the murkiness of my ureter*, to track down the culprit.

*for those a bit shaky on their anatomy, your two kidneys each drain into their own ureter. The two ureters empty into the bladder, then drain out through the urethra.

My lithotripsy was apparently successful, and now the misery has started. I don't know how many pieces of kidney stone are in there, but each and every one of them has been excruciatingly painful as it emerges freed from the constraint of my body.

Yes, I have pain meds, but due to the concurrent back issues, they aren't really helping much.

I'm not reporting this for sympathy, so much as to point out how BORING this is for someone who practically lives outside most of the day! Also, my horses miss me quite a bit. They are, however, getting used to my spouse.

The cats, on the other hand, think this is FABULOUS, and are draping themselves over me to cheer me up.
Fortinbras

Hijack This Thread

Post by Fortinbras »

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Take care, luxuriate in the adoration of your cats and have a speedy recovery!

Return to “General Stuff”