Hijack This Thread

tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

The report found that welfare benefits pay more than the average pre-tax first year wage for a teacher
The correct interpretation of this statistic is TEACHERS ARE UNDERPAID.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, you wouldn't want any of these people to live with any dignity, would you? :fingerwag:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:34 pm Well, you wouldn't want any of these people to live with any dignity, would you? :fingerwag:
dig·ni·ty

noun: dignity
the state or quality of being worthy of honor or respect.
"a man of dignity and unbending principle"
a composed or serious manner or style.
"he bowed with great dignity"
Seems to me dignity is self imposed.

Also seems to me this topic/thread could go way off how government spends our money. We’ll see
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

pjhimself wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:47 pm
Welfare recipients in more than 35 states currently get paid more than a minimum wage job, according to a study by the libertarian Cato Institute.

And in what may come as a surprise to many, welfare recipients in 12 states and Washington, D.C., get paid more than $15 per hour, more than twice the national minimum wage.

The study, co-authored by Michael Tanner, a senior policy analyst for Cato, maintained that, "the current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/cato-inst ... zen-states
Funny... my first thought was that the minimum wage obviously needs to be increased.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

pjhimself wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:03 pm Seems to me dignity is self imposed.
You must have led a charmed life, to have zero understanding of how poverty can rob you of your dignity, and how textbook definitions are no help at all in that situation.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:08 pm
pjhimself wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:03 pm Seems to me dignity is self imposed.
You must have led a charmed life, to have zero understanding of how poverty can rob you of your dignity, and how textbook definitions are no help at all in that situation.
You clearly have no idea about where I’m from and/or how I was brought up.
You seem to have a style that belies your success with this forum.
You’re name calling is a primary example.
I’m avoiding a pitthing contest here, but you’ve crossed a line with me.
I will partake further in this forum. I’ve lost respect for you.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

:lol:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by jcolvin2 »

Welfare recipients in more than 35 states currently get paid more than a minimum wage job, according to a study by the libertarian Cato Institute.

And in what may come as a surprise to many, welfare recipients in 12 states and Washington, D.C., get paid more than $15 per hour, more than twice the national minimum wage.

The study, co-authored by Michael Tanner, a senior policy analyst for Cato, maintained that, "the current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work."

The institute tallied a state-by-state view of the value of welfare for a mother with two children receiving benefits from federal programs including: TANF, Medicaid, food stamps, Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program, public housing, utility assistance, Medicaid and free commodities.
Aren't many of the benefits available even if the mother does work? It's not necessarily an either/or situation where a person can maximize total receipts by not working. I suspect the Cato Institute's argument that there are disincentives to work is disingenuous political nonsense.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Back on topic, there have been one or two people in the history of this great land of ours who were so poor they had to steal bread to feed their children.

That sounds like maybe it would be difficult to self-impose a little dignity on top of it, but if dignity is self-imposed, maybe you can be a really dignified thief.

:shrug:
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:51 pm Back on topic, there have been one or two people in the history of this great land of ours who were so poor they had to steal bread to feed their children.

That sounds like maybe it would be difficult to self-impose a little dignity on top of it, but if dignity is self-imposed, maybe you can be a really dignified thief.

:shrug:
As usual, no examples.
Did you live such an existence ? Maybe some here have.
Perhaps other responders have.
You’re so full of your rhetoric it’s just comical.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

https://www.foxnews.com/world/cato-inst ... zen-states
I didn't analyze the content of the article, but a "person getting paid x times minimum wage" may include payments for dependants. And somebody earning minimum wage still may be elligible for support of dependants and not been listed in this analysis.
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:51 pm Back on topic, :snippity:
What’s the topic name? Just wondering how you can hijack the Hijack topic. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Its getting on to carolling practice time agin

If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

The article is from 2016 when min wage was much lower. Plus it's from Fox News. They took a bit of truth, stretched it, embroidered it, and ran it. Pretty typical.

Moving on.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

It's set Your Own Damn Clock Back Day in the States today. We were living under Spring Ahead. Now we're Falling Back. For those of you with modern clocks set by the Interwebs, you haven't got much to do except sleep in. For those of us with lots of old analog clocks, we got our work cut out for us. Grab a handful of batteries and get busy.

You got the microwave clock, the stove clock, the clock on the coffee pot, clocks in both bathrooms, the clock by the TV, the clock on the wall, the dining room clock, the back porch clock, and all the bedroom clocks. And don't forget the clocks in the car and trucks.

At least it's easier than the olden days when we had to put all our clocks in bushel baskets, and take them down to the train station to be set correctly by the railroad crews. Sometimes the lines went around the building. That was when we all had wind-up clocks. As we started buying plug-in clocks, we had to wait for them to get around to your house before any of your clocks were right. Some of us would secretly set our own watches to the correct time, but we had to keep them hidden. The one thing Nixon did right was sign the Time Freedom Act of 1969 which made it legal for anyone to set their own damn clock. But, that doesn't mean everyone does. You don't know how many friends we lost over seeing their VCR's blinking the wrong time. Not our kind of people. No sir.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:42 am It's set Your Own Damn Clock Back Day in the States today.
Well, there has been a proven massive reduction in the number of injuries to Pentacostals since internet clocks have become common place. Prior to that, these people would clutch their clocks, fall backwards while praying to Jesus, and repeat this over and over again until they couldn't take it anymore. It was awful.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Of course, being a 21st century miracle, Fogbow handles all that clock stuff for you, so you can concentrate on the important things, like I don't know what, but sumpin'.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Reddog wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:22 pm
Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:51 pm Back on topic, :snippity:
What’s the topic name? Just wondering how you can hijack the Hijack topic. :confuzzled:
Back on topic,

I love this video. Is this me in a few years?? :?

tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

In a few years, that's going to be me trying to start my car.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:thumbsup:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread