Hijack This Thread

Danraft

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Danraft »

When I lived in Ohio, the woman I dated for several years (and my whitewater river partner) was named Jenny... and had the number 867-5309... she was quite amused that it was available when she asked for it... lol

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 pm
bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 am I'm fainting.

An American that has never heard 8675309.
Umm, I count TWO Americans who never heard the song - MN-Skeptic and ol' Wifehorn. And those are a couple of the most thoughtful and mature women in my life. As you know, MN-Skeptic is a font of quiet wisdom around these parts, and has many, many more talents than being able to recollect rock music hits. :oopsy: The same is true for ol' Wifehorn, who is a pure joy to discuss stuff with, as long as it isn't about things that were important to me in my childhood.

Luckily, my boys had me to complete their education. :boxing:

Anyway, I am not critical of those who don't know the lyrics to Jenny/867-5309. AND I put a YouTube in the Music Free For All thread for those who missed it. :thumbsup:
Clairez

Post by Clairez »

#11 for me :kiss:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

No love for Joan? #3 for me. I was 20.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:33 pm No love for Joan? #3 for me. I was 20.
Oh, I like that song! I was just checking on Spotify for I Love Rock 'n Roll and discovered that Weird Al Yankovic had put out his own Weird Al version -

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Ha! I never saw that one. He was pretty inventive.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

He had a tweet a couple months back about Kid Rock's new (and horrible) video and song:
Al Yankovic @alyankovic wrote: To everybody that's congratulating me right now on my new Kid Rock parody video, let me clarify - that's not me. That's actually Kid Rock.
The Kid Rock video & song, in case you missed it, is so bad that it actually half amusing to listen to. :lol: I'll stick it under the spoiler. Lots of bad words. And bad music. It sucks. It's so bad it's funny though.
► Show Spoiler
OMG I listened to it once when it came out, I'd already forgotten how bad it is. But at least he got to hang out with tfg at the Whitehouse in its heyday (mayday?)
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

From OSG’s Chief of Staff to shilling for PC Matic in TV this is where Mick Mulvaney is these days! Anyone else seen him on the commercial?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OK, obviously I totally misjudged MN-Skeptic, if she liked Joan Jett and the Blackhearts and she posted an Al Yankovic video. Ol' Wifehorn maybe has some idea who Weird Al is, but never listened to any of his music. I asked, and she has heard of Joan Jett. Sort of.

I missed MN-Skeptic's list somehow this morning, and had to look around to find out what y'all meant by #11, #13 and like that.

... and, while I recognize most of the songs on that list, and could sing the tunes of maybe half of them, in 1982 I was listening to the Smiths more than any other band, and I don't see anything by the Smiths on that list. :blackeyebig:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:04 pm ... and, while I recognize most of the songs on that list, and could sing the tunes of maybe half of them, in 1982 I was listening to the Smiths more than any other band, and I don't see anything by the Smiths on that list. :blackeyebig:
The Smiths? Gosh, you were thoroughly baked back then. :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It's partly because of a Weird Al video that we got DSL when we did.

For quite a while we made do with dial up internet. But starting in 2006 my husband was sometimes working from home and trying to do telecons using his laptop over a dial up internet line. That was sad. And later that year Weird Al came out with White and Nerdy. My brother showed us that video when we visited him. That was it. Enough of dial-up! My sweetie needed the faster speeds for work and I wanted to be able to actually stream videos. So, in early 2007, we got DSL.

The Weird Al video that I LOVE (and Donny Osmond is great in it!) -

The lyrics are great too, but they're said so fast that you might miss them. They're long, so I'll include them in a spoiler tag.
► Show Spoiler
Foggy - share this video with your wife. You might make a Weird Al fan out of her.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:rotflmao: I just became a Weird Al fan. I have never heard that before. White and nerdy. That is hilarious.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Q- Why was the fundamentalist thrown out of Stop&Shop?
A- I told him that the eggs came from dinosaurs.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Feck it. Speak Cursive if you need to. :oldman:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

In 82 i was listening to The Roches and Manhattan Transfer on vinyl. My car radio was busted and I had no radio at home. I missed a lot apparently.
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:36 pm It's partly because of a Weird Al video that we got DSL when we did.

For quite a while we made do with dial up internet. But starting in 2006 my husband was sometimes working from home and trying to do telecons using his laptop over a dial up internet line. That was sad. And later that year Weird Al came out with White and Nerdy. My brother showed us that video when we visited him. That was it. Enough of dial-up! My sweetie needed the faster speeds for work and I wanted to be able to actually stream videos. So, in early 2007, we got DSL.

The Weird Al video that I LOVE (and Donny Osmond is great in it!) -

The lyrics are great too, but they're said so fast that you might miss them. They're long, so I'll include them in a spoiler tag.
► Show Spoiler
Foggy - share this video with your wife. You might make a Weird Al fan out of her.
Oh doG, I will never look at bubble wrap the same again. :faint:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

My favorite part was at the beginning when the brother frantically tries to lock the car door...on an open convertible.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:29 pm My favorite part was at the beginning when the brother frantically tries to lock the car door...on an open convertible.
:lol: I chuckled at that one, too.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I thought this was so cool. For any of you still working in an office, you might want to consider using this as inspiration for your own cubicle -

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:56 pm :rotflmao: I just became a Weird Al fan. I have never heard that before. White and nerdy. That is hilarious.
For reference - Ridin Dirty by Chamillionaire

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 pm The Kid Rock video & song, in case you missed it, is so bad that it actually half amusing to listen to. :lol: I'll stick it under the spoiler. Lots of bad words. And bad music. It sucks. It's so bad it's funny though.
► Show Spoiler
My experience with people claiming no one can tell them what to do .... actually wants to tell everyone else what to do.

Rules are for Thee, but not for Me.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Why do all Kid Rock songs share the same riff(back beat)? He not very talented.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Just saw this in NYT:
Daniel Radcliffe to Play Weird Al Yankovic in New Biopic
The film, “Weird: The Al Yankovic Story,” will begin production next month and will be available for streaming on the Roku Channel.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 pm Just saw this in NYT:
Daniel Radcliffe to Play Weird Al Yankovic in New Biopic
The film, “Weird: The Al Yankovic Story,” will begin production next month and will be available for streaming on the Roku Channel.
That sounds like it might be fun. Radcliffe managed to transition from child actor to adult roles-- which is kinda rare. Looking forward to the production!
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 pm In 82 i was listening to The Roches and Manhattan Transfer on vinyl. My car radio was busted and I had no radio at home. I missed a lot apparently.
Loved the Roches.
In 1982, I was listening to the Jam (All Mod Cons and Setting Sons were technically 1970s albums, but I was a bit late to the party) and Squeeze (Eastside Story and Argybargy) on vinyl. That summer, I also discovered that Dylan was more than just folk music and vaguely Christian rock (You Gotta Serve Somebody had recently received a fair amount of radio play) and spent way too much time listening to Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde.
Unfortunately, I am familiar with almost all of the songs on the list.

Return to “General Stuff”