Hijack This Thread

Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

first night - dreamt I had a squid on my face..

there after no problem

I have a nose and mouth cover with strap to the back of head and ood* connection in front of face.

I tried a top of head connection - that work well - but that was with nasal plugs - which just make nostrils sore and didnt aid my sleep much if at all.

:oldman:

see the Dr Who Ood images ;)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Don't have first-hand knowledge of this stuff. But one of neighbors has it when he sleeps. He is used to it now. But his face is left with the impressions of straps/bands overnight and during the day when he doesn't need to wear it, it is very obvious.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

They gave me initially a full face mask, covering nose and mouth. I could not handle my mouth covered, switched shortly to nose only mask. If you sleep on your side you need to find out how hard you need to fix the straps or the mask looses contact and leaks the air. The elastics straps holding the mask tend to stretch over time, after a few weeks you need to correct the tension. After about nine months I require replacement straps.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

I don’t have one but mr520 does. His sleep study showed he was awakened 90 times per hour. :shock: Like, he wasn’t sleeping at all.

He uses the same mask as rth, nose only. He also started with the full face mask.after the first day he’s had no issues. Just keep the parts clean, they can grow bacteria in the mask folds.

As his sleeping partner I’m grateful they exist. :lol:
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

jez wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:48 pm Did a sleep study earlier this month. It was at home, which was nice. Just had a nose thing to measure my breathing, a finger thing to measure pulse and oxygen, and some kind of thing strapped to my chest. Probably to measure movement and gather data from the nose and finger things. Well, go the results today.

I have severe sleep apnea. Seems I had obstructed breathing, or stopped breathing, about every 3 minutes or so on average. Which would explain why I'm always so freaking tired. :bag:

As soon as the insurance company makes up their mind, I'll be getting a cpap. I hate stuff on my head and face when I sleep, so I'm thinking it might take some getting used to. Any advice for other users of these contraptions?
I also have/had severe sleep apnea. Why I am not dead I do not know. However, I'm alive, and I can tell you that the cpap machine changed my life. Went from a state of "can't drag myself out of bed in the morning and ready for bed 10 hrs later" and needing naps and struggling to keep awake when the driving to 7 hours a night makes me chipper and a nap is an occasional luxury.

I'm lucky in that I didn't have a problem adapting to the mask. I have ways to deal with leaking air waking me up. Others really struggle. I hope for the best for you!
qbawl

Hijack This Thread

Post by qbawl »

I have had severe Sleep Apnea since the '80s. There are many types of masks and headgear available. I would suggest trying as many combinations as possible until you find the one that works best for you. The improvements CPAP make can be truly stunning. Good luck!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I have sleep catnea - interrupted sleep due to cat sleeping with me. Does that count? :biggrin:

Wishing you the bestest! :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jemcanada2

Hijack This Thread

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:02 am I have sleep catnea - interrupted sleep due to cat sleeping with me. Does that count? :biggrin:

:yeahthat:

:lol: :lol:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:02 am I have sleep catnea - interrupted sleep due to cat sleeping with me. Does that count? :biggrin:

I resemble that remark.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

jez wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:48 pm As soon as the insurance company makes up their mind, I'll be getting a cpap. I hate stuff on my head and face when I sleep, so I'm thinking it might take some getting used to. Any advice for other users of these contraptions?
I don't know what brand you'll get or if you'll have any choice, but I use a ResMed AirSense 11. I bring it up because it has the most "nothing" mask I've ever used. There's a single 1/4" wide elastic band that goes around the back of my head. The back of it is split into two horizontally so you can have one part go up at the top of your head and the other at the bottom, but I never use it that way and it stays in place just fine on me. It connects to a hose that holds 2 nasal pillows at the front. That's it. One pillow rests at the end of each nostril and blows air up your nose. After the first couple of nights, I never noticed the nasal pillows again. They were so easy to adapt to, and there's no risk of air leaking out from the top of the mask and drying your eye out while you sleep (I had that happen with a full face mast I used ONCE an it was horrible, I couldn't open my eye until we flooded it a bunch of times with artificial tears to losen it up.)

Anyway, if you can get a mask set up like that, they're great. I'm sure other brands will have similar head gear.

You can see a picture and video of it here: https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apne ... ap-results
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I've been scared to death to get tested for sleep apnea, aren't all my other medical conditions horrible enough, falling apart all over the place, boo hoo, boo hoo, and now you want me to wear a mask and try to sleep in it?

:shock:

No thank you very much. If I get tested (and I have real trouble sleeping) they're gonna make me wear the face torture machine!
:nooo:
I dunno, man. Next thing you know, parts are gonna be falling off me in the supermarket, oops, dropped a finger, better get that reattached or sumpin'.

But Kris's doodad doesn't seem so awful. Maybe I could live with that. :think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Yo, Foggy. If you had sleep apnea, Wifehorn would know.

If she says you do, do that sleep study. If you don't, I'll start telling my tales how many times I didn't die, culminating with that time I crashed car into a phone pole (and that's the tame story).

:oldlady:
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:51 am
Off Topic
I'm getting to the point I'm going to have to break down and get one. Turns out 30 years of transcription/headphones is not good for the ole ear holes. When the time comes, I'll probably start a thread for advice, por favor.
I’m all for that. I recently got a pair. I’ve had high frequency loss my whole life.
I got rechargeable, and supposedly can track where they were last connected with app. I’ve got lucky a couple of times e.g. one fell off when I removed my m’cycle helmet. Luckily I noticed it and was able to find it.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

bye bye New Atlantis
New York City is sinking due to weight of its skyscrapers, new research finds
City is sinking approximately 1-2mm each year on average, worsening effects of sea level rise and flooding threat

Oliver Milman
Fri 19 May 2023 09.30 BST

New York City is sinking in part due to the extraordinary weight of its vertiginous buildings, worsening the flooding threat posed to the metropolis from the rising seas, new research has found.

The Big Apple may be the city that never sleeps but it is a city that certainly sinks, subsiding by approximately 1-2mm each year on average, with some areas of New York City plunging at double this rate, according to researchers.

This sinking is exacerbating the impact of sea level rise which is accelerating at around twice the global average as the world’s glaciers melt away and seawater expands due to global heating. The water that flanks New York City has risen by about 9in, or 22cm, since 1950 and major flooding events from storms could be up to four times more frequent than now by the end of the century due to the combination of sea level rise and hurricanes strengthened by climate change.

“A deeply concentrated population of 8.4 million people faces varying degrees of hazard from inundation in New York City,” researchers wrote in the new study, published in the Earth’s Future journal.

The authors added that the risks faced by New York City will be shared by many other coastal cities around the world as the climate crisis deepens. “The combination of tectonic and anthropogenic subsidence, sea level rise, and increasing hurricane intensity imply an accelerating problem along coastal and riverfront areas,” they wrote.

This trend is being magnified by the sheer bulk of New York City’s built infrastructure. The researchers calculated that the city’s structures, which include the famous Empire State Building and Chrysler Building, weigh a total of 1.68tn lbs, which is roughly equivalent to the weight of 140 million elephants.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ate-crisis
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Stephen Colbert has been baned from the Russian Federation
congrats stephen.jpg
congrats stephen.jpg (106.98 KiB) Viewed 525 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Good for Stephen! 8-)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:02 pm Good for Stephen! 8-)
he's in good company - Rachel Maddow,, but Sarah Huckabee?
castigat ridendo mores.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

I can’t say that I ever saw a bumper sticker that actually made me bust a tear before, but I saw one today. It said
“Those that disrespect the flag have never been handed one.” It sure struck my heartstrings. My dad’s flag is on my bookshelf in a little triangular glass case beside my sister’s ashes. My dad is on Eisenhower Drive at Arlington National. He served 32 years in the Army Air Corps/Air Force.

Sorry to get soppy, but I’ll never forget them handing the flag from his coffin to my mother and trying desperately not to break down at the time. My first Mr.Daisy was in the Army Band, and he had them play echo taps at the funeral. Just hearing that makes me bust a tear. If we do actually go somewhere else after we die, I just hope I go wherever he went.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:42 pm I can’t say that I ever saw a bumper sticker that actually made me bust a tear before, but I saw one today. It said
“Those that disrespect the flag have never been handed one.” It sure struck my heartstrings. My dad’s flag is on my bookshelf in a little triangular glass case beside my sister’s ashes. My dad is on Eisenhower Drive at Arlington National. He served 32 years in the Army Air Corps/Air Force.
Oh I get that. And myself being the only child (grandchild) of my grand parents. When grandpa passed. It wasn't the playing of Taps that got me -- it was that damn 21-gun solute --it is brutal. My body shook as the series of 3 rounds were fired off. 14yo neon having to comfort a widow as that flag is folded and ceremoniously handed to her as we sit in the front row at the graveside.

No, you don't want to do that stuff.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. ...
Read more here...

This is from facebook. I can't figure out how to link directly to the post, but this goes to the content (I hope).
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

keith wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:07 am
What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. ...
Read more here...

This is from facebook. I can't figure out how to link directly to the post, but this goes to the content (I hope).
This is timely for me. I’m reading 1984 right now, and Brave New World is up next
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:38 am
keith wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:07 am
Read more here...

This is timely for me. I’m reading 1984 right now, and Brave New World is up next
remember that 1984 takes place after an atomic war, where England no longer exists. It is "Airstrip 1" and has become a "security State". also, Winston reads TWO of the three parts of "Goldstein's" book. Chapter three, "Freedom is Slavery" is Winston's story of how he progresses from the "servitude" of having a Will of his own to surrendering it to the Will of the State
castigat ridendo mores.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

I'm sure the Citizens of Maricopa County will be thrilled
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/tax ... iling-case
PHOENIX (AP) — Taxpayers in metro Phoenix are approaching a milestone in their financial pain from a 2013 racial profiling verdict over former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s immigration crackdowns: In roughly a year, those ongoing costs will exceed a quarter of a billion dollars.

The bill is projected to reach $273 million by the summer of 2024, officials were told Monday before they approved a tentative budget that included $38 million in legal and compliance spending for the racial profiling lawsuit during the coming fiscal year.

A decade ago, a federal judge concluded the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office had profiled Latinos in Arpaio’s signature traffic patrols that targeted immigrants, leading to massive court-ordered overhauls of both the agency’s traffic operations and its internal affairs department.
castigat ridendo mores.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

💸
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”