Hijack This Thread

pipistrelle

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

I had a colonoscopy a while back, and this stuff helped get me through fasting. Pricey but might help supplement solid foods. I'll have to see if another supplier has more flavors.

Edit: Ah. They have 30g protein low-sugar shakes. Hmmm.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wow! Glad you figured it out. Think he will be open to changing doctors now?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

Premier Protein? Love it! I've relied on Premier Protein Shakes since I've struggle to eat due to limited taste.

I looked at your product and found out that there's a new shake flavor - root beer float! So I ordered it. Premier Protein Shakes have 30g protein, 1g sugar, and 24 vitamins & minerals. I love caramel, vanilla, chocolate & latte, and now there's the new flavor. I drink at least one drink every day & keep one in my purse when I'm not at home.

Costco has a slightly lower price, but it's hit or miss, and usually only has vanilla - if that. Target & Amazon always has a variety of flavors.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:32 pm :snippity:
Oops - missed this while I posted about the same protein shakes. All of them taste good, but don't expect them to be sweet. Just a hint of it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

(This is purely anecdotal. I am not a doctor and do not play one on TV. But, your story does make an old memory bubble up…)

When statins first became commonly prescribed it was heralded as a great success and my father was put on them (I don’t remember which, probably one of the first gen ones like Lipitor). My mother called me and asked if I could come visit the next weekend because there was something different with Dad— he was tiring easily (just going to the mail box was something that required him to stop because of muscle weakness) and was somewhat mentally confused and would do things like repeat a joke that he had just told…

Upon reviewing what was different, the statin prescription was one thing… Looking it up on the innertubes, the reported occasional side effects included similar sounding effects. It turned out that the prescription was the wrong dosage (an order of magnitude larger IIRC). The dosage was reduced (and put on a supplement of CoQ10) and he bounced back to normal.

What had happened is that the statins work by interrupting a particular reaction in the HMG-CoA pathway that is responsible for synthesizing lipids (considered to be bad news). But, lipids are essential to producing essential elements of higher level animals including all the steroidal hormones and signaling molecules and elements in other pathways— like the formation of CoQ10. It is now commonplace for doctors to also prescribe CoQ10 with statins. In fact, since the amount of CoQ10 declines with age, longevity wonks commonly have it on their list of supplements worth taking.

In short, it may be that the amount of endogenous lipids has been too low and that by moving to a high protein diet one of the effects has been that exogenous lipids has increased sufficiently to make some difference (as well as other benefits of a high protein diet. I would consider adding it do daily supplements. :shrug:
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:01 pm I'm in the St. Louis area with Mrs. Shizzle checking in on my 90 year old dad again. Things haven't been going well over the last year or so and more recently my dad has had some issues with falling. We thought we were coming over to help get my dad setup with an assisted living facility. However, things seem to have changed fairly dramatically.

My dad has a completely incompetent doctor but we've had no luck getting him to switch. His doctor's answer to any ailments has been "It's just old age". He's been having increasing trouble with balance, strength and mobility for at least a few years. But it's just old age. Lacking a useful doctor we've started throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. My dad eats like a bird and is pretty thin. My primary concern over the last few years has been to try to get him eating more. I'm over to see him at least once a month and have a pretty good idea of what he eats. I've spent the last year trying to get him to eat more, but it turns out that was a mistake. About a month ago I had an epiphany. I looked at his diet and suddenly realized there's no possible way he was getting the minimum 50 grams of protein a day. So, three weeks ago we came over and put him on a high protein diet.

The difference this week is astonishing. He was using a cane to get around the house three weeks ago and now he rarely needs it. Earlier this week he trimmed all the bushes along the front of the house in one afternoon. He hasn't been able to do that in at least two years. For the last several months it's taken him 4 or 5 tries to get up out of a chair. Now he does it the first time, every time. It's still hesitant and slow but he manages it. In addition, his balance is greatly improved, he's more alert and he falls asleep less during the day. And this change is just in the space of three weeks.

We put up more high protein food in his freezer this week, bought him a bunch of high protein snacks and fed him a whole lot of beef over the last few days. We're still doing research on assisted living facilities and even visited one this week, but I no longer see it as an urgent task on my list. Instead, I'm looking at building a new step with a landing that will make it easier to get in and out of the back door to his patio where he likes to sit and read the paper in the morning. It'll be interesting to see how he's doing in a few more weeks. I just regret not figuring out the protein issue earlier.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:32 pm I had a colonoscopy a while back, and this stuff helped get me through fasting. Pricey but might help supplement solid foods. I'll have to see if another supplier has more flavors.

Oh yeah, these things are great. My wife already drinks the 30g shakes as she's diabetic and those are only 3g of carbs. We shipped my dad a couple of cartons before we came over last time. He doesn't drink them a lot and generally only drinks half of one at a time but we're taking an "everything counts" approach so anything that adds to the numbers helps.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:18 am Wow! Glad you figured it out. Think he will be open to changing doctors now?
It turns out his doctor is retiring this fall so the issue is going to be taken care of for us. I'm hoping his replacement shows more interesting in determining the cause of any new symptoms.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Danraft wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:39 am (This is purely anecdotal. I am not a doctor and do not play one on TV. But, your story does make an old memory bubble up…)

When statins first became commonly prescribed it was heralded as a great success and my father was put on them (I don’t remember which, probably one of the first gen ones like Lipitor). My mother called me and asked if I could come visit the next weekend because there was something different with Dad— he was tiring easily (just going to the mail box was something that required him to stop because of muscle weakness) and was somewhat mentally confused and would do things like repeat a joke that he had just told…

Upon reviewing what was different, the statin prescription was one thing… Looking it up on the innertubes, the reported occasional side effects included similar sounding effects. It turned out that the prescription was the wrong dosage (an order of magnitude larger IIRC). The dosage was reduced (and put on a supplement of CoQ10) and he bounced back to normal.

:snippity:
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely look at adding that to his supplements. He takes a pile of pills every day but I'm pretty sure that's not one of the things on his list.
John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

DAMMIT! Still not a billionaire. Another $2 tossed into the fireplace.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

It's not quite 7 am here in the sunny Pacific Northwest, but it's already 64 degrees F with 100, yes one hunnert! per cent humidty. Never seen that before unless it's actually raining LOL. Supposed to be in the mid 90s today.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

They claim :lol: :lol: that people lived in this area before the invention of air conditioning, but I refuse to be tricked.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:56 am It's not quite 7 am here in the sunny Pacific Northwest, but it's already 64 degrees F with 100, yes one hunnert! per cent humidty. Never seen that before unless it's actually raining LOL. Supposed to be in the mid 90s today.
It's 70 on our back porch, and the air is thick enough to bath in.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:11 am
Azastan wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:56 am It's not quite 7 am here in the sunny Pacific Northwest, but it's already 64 degrees F with 100, yes one hunnert! per cent humidty. Never seen that before unless it's actually raining LOL. Supposed to be in the mid 90s today.
It's 70 on our back porch, and the air is thick enough to bath in.
I can tell I'm going to be hiding in the house again today LOL. I fed horses at 5.30 am and cleaned up after them so I wouldn't have to do it in the heat. My poor cats are all clustered in the bathroom and are flat on the tile in there.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My staff informs me that we now have a source at the very highest level of government, who is much higher placed than Q ever was. This person - who did not insert any pronouns into the United States Constitution - shall be referred to by my staff as Z, to reflect his her its their the extremely lofty status of our secret source, whose every utterance is worth its weight in pure gold.

And Z's first Press Release states as follows:

"Important things will be revealed in the near future."

:confuzzled:

Sometimes these things are left open to a bit of interpretation. :shrug:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'll try to keep this short. Mom has a tumor in her upper right lung. She just 83 this week. After a PET scan, she saw an oncologist who ordered a biopsy. It was a difficult ordeal with some complications. We waited three weeks to see him again only to bee told there wasn't sufficient tissue to confirm whether or not it is cancer. She refuses to have another biopsy. The oncologist wants to start her on radiation anyway. I find that very odd. Is that a common protocol?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:05 pm I'll try to keep this short. Mom has a tumor in her upper right lung. She just 83 this week. After a PET scan, she saw an oncologist who ordered a biopsy. It was a difficult ordeal with some complications. We waited three weeks to see him again only to bee told there wasn't sufficient tissue to confirm whether or not it is cancer. She refuses to have another biopsy. The oncologist wants to start her on radiation anyway. I find that very odd. Is that a common protocol?
I don't know, but I did locate this study that concludes it is not odd.
Conclusion: The oncological outcomes were similar in patients with early lung cancer treated with SBRT with or without biopsy-confirmation. In situations where tissue diagnosis is not feasible or unsafe, it is not unreasonable to offer SBRT [stereotactic body radiotherapy] based on clinical and radiological suspicion following multidisciplinary discussions.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34187094/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Thank you, Raison!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

If the doctor sensed that your mom would be a resistant patient, too, aside from it being protocol, he might have decided to save her some anger and anguish.

If I may ask, pgirl, what led to the PET scan?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:05 pm I'll try to keep this short. Mom has a tumor in her upper right lung. She just 83 this week. After a PET scan, she saw an oncologist who ordered a biopsy. It was a difficult ordeal with some complications. We waited three weeks to see him again only to bee told there wasn't sufficient tissue to confirm whether or not it is cancer. She refuses to have another biopsy. The oncologist wants to start her on radiation anyway. I find that very odd. Is that a common protocol?
Not exactly the same, but they gave me radiation after chemo and surgery without ever doing another scan after the original diagnosis. I even asked why no scan to see if anything had changed before the radiation and they said it was pretty standard. Mine isn't lung cancer though, so take it for what it's worth.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:47 pm If the doctor sensed that your mom would be a resistant patient, too, aside from it being protocol, he might have decided to save her some anger and anguish.

If I may ask, pgirl, what led to the PET scan?
Pet Scan was triggered by an x-ray showing big spot on her lung that had grown from last year's x-rays.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Police Seek Help in Deaths of Two Saudi Sisters in Australia
Their bodies lay undiscovered for a month. Weeks later, the police still know little about the women or what happened to them.
MELBOURNE, Australia — The case is cloaked in mystery.

In June, the bodies of two young Saudi sisters were found in separate bedrooms of the apartment they shared in Sydney, Australia. The remains had gone undiscovered for a month. There were no visible signs of injury, and the home showed no sign of forced entry. The police deemed the deaths suspicious.

Nearly two months after the discovery, the authorities still know little about the women, even after an extensive investigation in which they spoke to many people in the neighborhood. The women, the police said, “seemed to keep to themselves.” It also remains unclear how they died, though an autopsy has been performed.

Stymied, the police took another step this week in hopes of finding new clues: They revealed the identities of the women as Asra Abdullah Alsehli, 24, and Amaal Abdullah Alsehli, 23. The sisters arrived in Australia from Saudi Arabia in 2017, the police said.

“We’re appealing for information because we don’t know a lot about the girls,” Detective Inspector Claudia Allcroft said at a news conference. The case is unusual, she said, because the cause of death remains unknown, and the women “were 23 and 24 years old, and they have died together in their home.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/29/worl ... death.html

Very sad... :brokenheart:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
I moved Maybenaut's and Uninformed's posts to What Are You Reading because it's about a book I'm currently reading. ;)
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “General Stuff”