Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:cry:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

jez wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:53 pm Speaking of King Lear...

A couple of weeks ago, Jim (the SO) and I watched the Soviet produced film of King Lear (1971). Subtitled of course, I don't speak Russian. It was quite well done and nicely shot. I had forgotten how depressing King Lear was though.
I always completely lose the plot when watching any Shakespeare play, to the extent that I probably don't try to keep up even when I could. Reading a synopsis obviously helps, but I am usually still baffled well before the half-time oranges, especially when I can't remember which character is which, nor their relationships.

So I just enjoy watching the acting, and the depressingness wafts right by and away.

Yeah, I'm a slob.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Just home from a LONG ass drive from Virginia to Vermont and finally back again. We went to visit friends who use to live here. I have to say, Vermont is spectacular! We hiked the hills and explored the towns and visited friends as well as local cousins we haven't seen in forever and had a wonderful time. They already have lots of fall colors busting out! I had to collect some leaves to show my grand brats when I pick them up from school on Friday. But very glad to be home and looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight :faint:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

In general, I think fall color is going to be later this year. It's downright warm here, which isn't conducive to trees developing great color, I think.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:47 pm I always completely lose the plot when watching any Shakespeare play, to the extent that I probably don't try to keep up even when I could. Reading a synopsis obviously helps, but I am usually still baffled well before the half-time oranges, especially when I can't remember which character is which, nor their relationships.

So I just enjoy watching the acting, and the depressingness wafts right by and away.

Yeah, I'm a slob.
Watching Macbeth 7 times in 5 days can help. Things you learn while being an usher. Would it help if mentioned there are some rather "dirty" parts in them. If you are watching closely for that, you might catch more of the rest.

Emphasis by my inner 12-year-old
MACDUFF
What three things does drink especially provoke?

Porter
Marry, sir, nose-painting, sleep, and
urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes;
it provokes the desire, but it takes
away the performance: therefore, much drink
may be said to be an equivocator with lechery:
it makes him, and it mars him; it sets
him on, and it takes him off; it persuades him,
and disheartens him; makes him stand to, and
not stand to;
in conclusion, equivocates him
in a sleep, and, giving him the lie, leaves him.
101010 :towel:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:19 am Halloween music!
But to be cliche, my yearly Halloween music review practice comes up in the next week or so. Yes, time to make sure the Toccata from Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor is still up to snuff. October 31st is a Sunday so time to use it as a postlude.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :clap:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:48 pm Watching Macbeth 7 times in 5 days can help.
I'm sure it does! Which reminds me of an annoyance in some screen dramas: directors will sometimes only show something for the briefest of moments even though it is relevant to a plot point, such as the character having keys/gun/notebook/McGuffin, the character noticing a person/object who/which is partially hidden, etc. Editing the pictures with intimate knowledge of the story before and after each scene in detail is not like encountering it for the first time.

Or am I just particularly bad at following plots?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

With films, there are always things people don't catch until later viewings (I was finding new stuff in The Godfather for a long time). There is just so much that can happen and I figure they also know that folks will come back. Just recently I was watching some moving I had seen a bunch of times and noticed a character's reaction and I never noticed before, because it was subtle and not in the primary action going on. It brought a new dimension to that character.

I do enjoys these moments because it means I get something new with each viewing and am not just watching the same thing (though, I still enjoy that).

This happens on stage as well, though they sometimes lack the subtlety due to the distance between the actors and the audience (no closeups). Shakespeare can be even harder to get everything early on because our brain has to do some translations of the language on the fly.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Joe Biden expands sacred Bears Ears”:
https://indiancountrytoday.com/news/joe ... -monuments

“SALT LAKE CITY — President Joe Biden will expand two sprawling national monuments in Utah that have been at the center of a public lands tug-of-war that has played out over three presidential administrations, the state's governor said Thursday.
Gov. Spencer Cox, a Republican, released a statement expressing disappointment in a decision by the administration to expand Bears Ears National Monuments and Grand Staircase-Escalante, which were downsized significantly under President Donald Trump.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:thumbsup: I hope he restores the whole thing on them.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Nostalgia, ☺ My first car, I was 19. My dad bought me a brand new Mustang, 1976, black with red leather interior. It was a 4 speed and I had no idea how to drive a clutch at the time, but it didn’t take long for me to learn. I was a completely spoiled brat at the time. And pretty much stayed that way until my dad died in 1986. That was very sad.
1976 Mustang.png
1976 Mustang.png (360.17 KiB) Viewed 537 times
tek

Post by tek »

:oops:

1966, probably :bag:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I took my VW bus in the TARDIS back to 1,000,000 B.C.

No roads. No gas stations. Cig lighter, but no cigarettes. Radio, but no stations.

:blackeye:

On the bright side, it kept me out of the rain for a while ... :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I had that same model, in blue, a 1965.

I like that black better.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I had a red '68 and a light green '75 with a sun roof. Those Mustangs, and my bright turquoise blue and white '70s Toyota Celica were my favorite cars ever to drive.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I am jealous.

My first car was a 1977 Ford Pinto Station Wagon. Brown. Boring. It had no radio when I got it. I had to install one.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
tek

Post by tek »

My first car (in 1974) was a white 1964 Valiant V200 4-door.. 170ci slant-six, pushbutton automatic transmission, and *air conditioning*

lotta good times in that car.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 pm Nostalgia, ☺ My first car, I was 19. My dad bought me a brand new Mustang, 1976, black with red leather interior. It was a 4 speed and I had no idea how to drive a clutch at the time, but it didn’t take long for me to learn. I was a completely spoiled brat at the time. And pretty much stayed that way until my dad died in 1986. That was very sad.

1976 Mustang.png
So, Sally... where'dya get the 'Daisy' nom-de-plumb?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

My first car was a 1959 Austin-Healy MkI "Bug Eye" Sprite in 1969. Fun car, lotta good times. Absolute piece of crap. It had seemingly been built out of left over WWII tank armor plating but it was falling apart faster than I could fix it. Dad and I stripped the engine and rebuilt it.

We replaced every gasket in the damn thing but could never get it to stop leaking oil. I used nothing but recycled oil in it because I had to refill every other month.

I got stopped by the police on the freeway one time because I was going too slow, even though I was going as fast as it would go. Previous owner had put a full race cam in it, and it just couldn't cope with going up slight inclines. I traded the roll bar the previous owner had installed for a Sprite MKII cam and it went much better.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

roadscholar wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:43 am I had that same model, in blue, a 1965.

I like that black better.
My first car was a pale yellow '65, all original. This was the late 80's, it was a show winner. Literally anything I did to it (like add AC for those hot AZ summers) would have lowered its value quite a bit. Fortunately (ha!) it never came to that. My dad bought it for me before I turned sixteen, and before I got a chance to REALLY drive it (besides on the farm and farm roads in IL, where we brought it home from), I got kicked out of high school and my dad sold it to pay for private high school. Which I also got kicked out of of. Doh! My "real" first car was a 1969 VW Squareback, as a result, with a three figure price tag.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

keith wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:06 am
MsDaisy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 pm Nostalgia, ☺ My first car, I was 19. My dad bought me a brand new Mustang, 1976, black with red leather interior. It was a 4 speed and I had no idea how to drive a clutch at the time, but it didn’t take long for me to learn. I was a completely spoiled brat at the time. And pretty much stayed that way until my dad died in 1986. That was very sad.

1976 Mustang.png
So, Sally... where'dya get the 'Daisy' nom-de-plumb?
Gawd knows, I've had lots of nicknames, my dad always called me Lil Doc because I loved Bugs Bunny and always ran around with a carrot saying "What's up Doc". All of my cousins (all 10+ years older than me) called me Sput, short for Sputnik because I was born in 57. Daisy came from Daisy Dukes way back in the day. :lol:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “General Stuff”