Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:38 am
neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:42 pm
Athena? people name their kids this way and this is what happens??????

Is that vodka in those two cups. Likely.
What's wrong with Athena? I think is a really pretty name
Okay, pretty name. Shitty gun.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:01 am
neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:42 pm
Athena? people name their kids this way and this is what happens??????

Is that vodka in those two cups. Likely.
There's a gun called Athena? Wow. No clue...
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:02 am

I think they name their guns like that in places. It is weird, I know. Forgive us.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:05 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:02 am

I think they name their guns like that in places. It is weird, I know. Forgive us.
I'll think about it :mrgreen:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Utah bans under-18s from using social media unless parents consent
Governor signs law putting restrictions on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook and other platforms, including requiring them not to get minors addicted

Maanvi Singh and agencies
Fri 24 Mar 2023 01.20 GMT

The governor of Utah, Spencer Cox, has signed sweeping social media legislation requiring explicit parental permissions for anyone under 18 to use platforms such as TikTok, Instagram and Facebook. He also signed a bill prohibiting social media companies from employing techniques that could cause minors to develop an “addiction” to the platforms.

The former is the first state law in the US prohibiting social media services from allowing access to minors without parental consent. The state’s Republican-controlled legislature passed both bills earlier this month, despite opposition from civil liberties groups.

“We’re no longer willing to let social media companies continue to harm the mental health of our youth,” Cox, a Republican, said in a message on Twitter.

The impact of social media on children has become a topic of growing debate among lawmakers at the state and federal levels. On the same day Cox signed the bills in Utah, TikTok’s CEO testified before Congress to address concerns about national security, data privacy and teen users’ mental health.

The new law prohibiting minors from accessing social media without their parents’ consent would also allow parents or guardians to access all of their children’s posts. The platforms will be required to block users younger than 18 from accessing accounts between 10.30pm and 6.30am unless parents modify the settings.

The laws also prohibit social media companies from advertising to minors, collecting information about them or targeting content to them.

What’s not clear from the Utah laws and others is how the states plan to enforce the new regulations. Companies are already prohibited from collecting data on children younger than 13 without parental consent under the federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. For this reason, social media companies already ban kids under 13 from signing up to their platforms – but children can easily get around it, both with and without their parents’ permission.

Civil liberties groups have raised concerns that such provisions will block marginalized youth including LGBTQ+ teens from accessing online support networks and information.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... law-minors
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Tours are no longer fun’: Neil Young lambasts Ticketmaster for ripping off fans
Singer-songwriter says ‘the old days are gone’ amid wider consternation at ticketing company’s pricing policies

Ben Beaumont-Thomas
Fri 24 Mar 2023 09.35 GMT

Neil Young has lambasted Ticketmaster over its concert ticketing policies, saying “concert tours are no longer fun” due to what he sees as exploitative pricing.

Young wrote on his website:
It’s over. The old days are gone. I get letters blaming me for $3,000 tickets for a benefit I am doing. That money does not go to me or the benefit. Artists have to worry about ripped off fans blaming them for Ticketmaster add-ons and scalpers. Concert tours are no longer fun. Concert tours not what they were.
He also shared a news article about the Cure, the band who have also been highly critical of Ticketmaster.

Frontman Robert Smith told fans he was as “sickened as you all are” over Ticketmaster’s fees for the Cure’s forthcoming US tour – the band had deliberately kept ticket prices low, but in some cases the fees levied by Ticketmaster exceeded the price of a concert ticket.

After questioning Ticketmaster over the fees, the band announced that the company “have agreed with us that many of the fees being charged are unduly high”. Ticketmaster offered a $10 or $5 refund on tickets, depending on the original price.

The Cure also criticised Ticketmaster over its “dynamic pricing” policy, introduced in the UK in 2022 and used by artists such as Harry Styles and Coldplay, which inflates the price of remaining tickets for in-demand concerts. The Cure opted out of dynamic pricing, calling it “a greedy scam – and all artists have the choice not to participate … if no artists participated, it would cease to exist”.

Bruce Springsteen was criticised for using dynamic pricing last year. He responded: “Ticket buying has gotten very confusing, not just for the fans but for the artists also … I tell my guys: go out and see what everybody else is doing. Let’s charge a little less. That’s generally the directions … This time I told them, hey, we’re 73 years old … I want to do what everybody else is doing, my peers.” He added: “I know it was unpopular with some fans, but if there’s any complaints on the way out, you can have your money back.”

Ticketmaster was criticised by US Senate members of both parties at a hearing in January, with Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar calling the company “a definition of monopoly” after its merger with concert promoter Live Nation in 2010. Louisiana senator John Kennedy characterised the company’s sale of tickets for Taylor Swift’s current Eras tour as “a debacle”: technical glitches and an extensive “presale” period meant that it was impossible for many fans to even have the option of buying tickets.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... longer-fun
tek

Hijack This Thread

Post by tek »

The platforms will be required to block users younger than 18 from accessing accounts between 10.30pm and 6.30am unless parents modify the settings.
I can't detect any flaws in that plan! :crazy:
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Indeed! I recall a suggestion in the early 1980s that VCRs incorporate locks to prevent teenagers accessing mucky videos. That disappeared into the long grass when more insightful people pointed out that such a device would mean that only teenagers would be able to watch mucky videos!

I guess Utah hasn't worked that out.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Islington Sunset.jpeg
Islington Sunset.jpeg (80.74 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
A Fogbow as seen above Islington North London last evening... Wuz beautiful :lovestruck:
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 am Islington Sunset.jpeg

A Fogbow as seen above Islington North London last evening... Wuz beautiful :lovestruck:
You've got a double rainbow. And they're mirrored.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

I tried to get to the roof to take a better photo, but by the time I got the door unlocked and ran up 3 sets of stairs this is all that was left....
Rainbow 2.jpeg
Rainbow 2.jpeg (77.01 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Beautiful les arcs-en-ciel. I love the French name for rainbows. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

Azastan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:18 pm Since Frater asked...

:snippity:
Wow, that's one hellava night, thanks for sharing...and also a prime example of why Guiliani's story is complete Pferdescheiße
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:05 am :snippity:
You're taught this in the military, all 4 of mine have names....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Re: the school board candidate with a gun -
Does everyone who poses with one have their finger clearly. near or on the trigger? That’s f’d up. Menacing.
Frater I*I

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 am Re: the school board candidate with a gun -
Does everyone who poses with one have their finger clearly. near or on the trigger? That’s f’d up. Menacing.
Finger should always be straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot, I'll give her credit, she does indeed have had some competent firearms instruction...

Trent Reznor
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks, Frater. I get that. But she is clearly not going to shoot that gun any time soon. The way she’s holding it implies she might, soon, finger at the ready. And those filthy liberal pedos are her target ( ok, maybe a stretch).

That’s all. The message all these “righteous warriors” are sending is f’d up.
Frater I*I

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:56 am Thanks, Frater. I get that. But she is clearly not going to shoot that gun any time soon. The way she’s holding it implies she might, soon, finger at the ready. And those filthy liberal pedos are her target ( ok, maybe a stretch).

That’s all. The message all these “righteous warriors” are sending is f’d up.
It becomes habit, anytime I hold a firearm I do the exact same thing...for the filthy lib part, might not be a stretch that you think it is with the way the QOP is going.... :smoking:

Trent Reznor
Azastan
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Azastan »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:05 am
Azastan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:18 pm Since Frater asked...

Wow, that's one hellava night, thanks for sharing...and also a prime example of why Guiliani's story is complete Pferdescheiße
Oddest thing about that night is that it apparently never got reported in the news. Just as well, we really didn't need anyone knowing about that little security flaw.

I do think that everyone involved (except for the sleepers, since they missed all of it!) has that night etched in their memories.

Easy enough to laugh about it now, but it certainly gives me an appreciation for how other people must feel in similar situations.
Frater I*I

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

Greatgrey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:11 pm :snippity:

I thought you might be interested in supporting this GoFundMe, https://gofund.me/4eac0651

Another bill sent their way.

Trent Reznor
neonzx

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:16 pm
Greatgrey wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:11 pm :snippity:

I thought you might be interested in supporting this GoFundMe, https://gofund.me/4eac0651

Another bill sent their way.
Oh okay. Bucket challenge. I got you, bruh.

Ima doing this because my cousin had harsh words to say of trans persons a couple days ago-- he ended the phone call. I mention that I kicked money toward Casey and Fen then he got really mad (he does not know any specifics of who they are).

Another bill on the way.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

With all that Andy is going through I'm almost embarrassed to write this, but it's been a crappy week or so.

First, a week ago Thursday night we got a call from my dad's neighbor that my 91 year old dad had fallen, hit his head and was being taken to the hospital. It turns out he'd been laying there for several hours because he had forgotten to put his fall sensor back on and had trouble getting to the phone. I'm still suffering from post COVID fatigue (or so we thought) and I wouldn't have made half the four hour trip before I collapsed and ran off the road or something. Our youngest daughter, who currently lives with us, would normally take care of the animals (two dogs and her lizard) but she's out of town for a few weeks. So, my wife packs a bag and cleaning supplies and makes the run to St. Louis in my place. My dad spent four days in the hospital and is back home but he's using a walker to get around for now. He sounds good on the phone and seems to be more or less back to normal but it may be time to have the talk about assisted living. He's not going to like it.

I had been getting somewhat better over the course of a couple of weeks but I felt like crap on Friday. By Saturday nothing was right and I apparently wasn't terribly coherent when I talked to my wife on the phone. Somewhere in there she asked me to check my blood sugar. I'm diabetic but haven't taken medication for almost three and a half years and no longer regularly check my sugar because with our current diet I wasn't having any issues. Not anymore. My blood sugar was 409 when I tested when the normal range is 60 to 99. My wife called her dad to come get me and take me to the ER where I was admitted with ketoacidosis. Crap. My poor wife hops in the car to race back to Indy. Luckily, my dad is doing pretty well by this time. Everybody seems to agree that COVID blew up my diabetes but it'll be a while before we know if it did any permanent damage. In the meantime, I'm back on insulin and metformin and testing six times a day. It's not great but the finger prick for testing and giving myself shots has never really bothered me like it does some. I came home from the hospital Wednesday night with my blood sugars running in the mid-upper 200s. As of lunch today I was down to 137 but they bounce up and down a little. It'll take a while for all of this to settle down though.

Anyway, I'm slowly starting to feel better. I'm tired and still have a little brain fog but it's improving. Looking back I wonder if there were signs that my blood sugar was going off the rails but I honestly couldn't tell you at this point what was COVID and what was diabetes.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

from the political toons thread:

Made me look if I still could locate the cartoon on Cheney at the WH, he had ordered the nekkid virgins in some room to be covered, and the cartoon depicted them covered in weapons. No luck this time.

But instead stumbled over this story:
In the 1890s there was a naked struggle over a White House painting

Perspective by John Kelly Columnist
February 21, 2023 at 12:15 p.m. EST

In early November 1894, a Washington newspaper ran ads trumpeting something coming up in its Nov. 11 edition. “Love and Life” — a notorious painting “which still remains hidden from public view in the White House” — would be “artistically reproduced” in the Sunday Washington Times.

Fast, informative and written just for locals. Get The 7 DMV newsletter in your inbox every weekday morning.
You can be certain that helped to sell a few copies, even if what the paper printed was a puny two-column, black-and-white engraving that made it hard to see what the fuss was about.

But a fuss there most definitely was. Arguments over “Love and Life” by English artist George Frederic Watts, gripped Washington for three decades. On one side: art lovers. On the other side: nudity haters.

Well, public nudity haters. The two allegorical figures in Watts’s painting — a winged male angel (Love) who is leading a pale, auburn-haired female (Life) up a rocky path — are unclothed.

“Love and Life,” painted around 1884 by British artist George Frederic Watts. The painting was displayed at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893. Watts gave it to the United States to become part of a national gallery. Instead it ended up at the White House, embroiled in controversy because of its nudity. (Private Collection) (Private Collection)

After the work was displayed at the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago, Watts donated it to the United States. He hoped it would jump-start a national gallery. Instead, “Love and Life” wound up packed in a crate in the basement of the White House while various factions fought over it.

The battle is recounted by Sarah E. Fling in the new issue of White House History Quarterly, the White House Historical Association’s journal.

The group most opposed to “Love and Life” was the Women’s Christian Temperance Union, which was against more than just intoxicating spirits.

“They feel they should protect the eyes of Americans, especially young Americans, from vulgarity,” said Fling, the WHHA’s historian. “They are furious the piece is to be displayed in [the White House].”

Critics were aghast at the debate. The Washington Post’s arts columnist wrote: “There are two classes of people who object altogether to the nude in art, no matter how the subject may be handled. The one class, and I am happy to say the larger class, may be generally recognized as the artistically ignorant; the other, as the innately vulgar.”

Vulgar people, wrote the columnist, “can manufacture a coarse joke out of divine materials, and see the devil in every finger print of God.”

The vulgarians prevailed. Bowing to pressure, first lady Frances Cleveland had “Love and Life” sent to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, where it was put on display. This kept it out of the White House, but meant more people could see it. The city wasn’t quite as scandalized as it had been nearly 50 years earlier, when Hiram Powers’s “The Greek Slave” — the first female nude to tour the United States, similarly shown at the Corcoran — caused an uproar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... ng-nudity/
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

It's not like there weren't nudes at the time.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:27 pm With all that Andy is going through I'm almost embarrassed to write this, but it's been a crappy week or so.

Anyway, I'm slowly starting to feel better. I'm tired and still have a little brain fog but it's improving. Looking back I wonder if there were signs that my blood sugar was going off the rails but I honestly couldn't tell you at this point what was COVID and what was diabetes.
400!! OMFSM!!!!!!!! What a way to find out that it wasn't COVID!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”