Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:28 am
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:22 am They've been doing this awhile, I'm not sure it will not ever seem needlessly wasteful to me.
Reuters @Reuters wrote: New York City Mayor Eric Adams waved a checkered flag to start a bulldozing event, where 100 illegal dirt bikes and all-terrain vehicles, confiscated by the New York City Police Department, were crushed
Seems on par with melting down illegal guns to me. No reason to put illegal vehicles back on the road.

I may be biased though, because illegal dirt bikes and ATVs on city streets are a HUGE problem around here.
My husband feels the same way you do, Sugar. But I’d like to see them shipped off to a place where they can be used. Where my daughter-in-law is from in Thailand, many people get around by motorized bike and many people there and elsewhere in the world are too poor to afford one.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:09 pm :snippity:

My husband feels the same way you do, Sugar. But I’d like to see them shipped off to a place where they can be used. Where my daughter-in-law is from in Thailand, many people get around by motorized bike and many people there and elsewhere in the world are too poor to afford one.
Thes bikes are not roadworthy to US standards. Nor will the be to foreign standards. Thesd bikes have been tuned, they will be gas guzlers. They are tuned as dirt bikes with special suspenskon, impossible to sensibly use on city streets. I guess many have tweaked the exhaust for sound, for loudness, not what others want in their villages. Most will be single seater / driver only, not the family transport sought after in those countries. I guess most will have tweaked engines, how to get maintenance on exotic machines in remote places?

PS. Bangkok police are having their own problem with youths illegally closing off roads for races with tweaked local machines.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I just hate the waste. They should make the owners pay to bring them back within standards, and pay to ship them to someone who could use them.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My GoPro camera is waterproof.

I know this because I left it in the pocket of my pants and ran them through the clothes washer.

It works perfectly. :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Panel Finds Daniel Snyder Interfered With Sexual Harassment Investigation
In a memo, a Congressional panel said it found evidence that the Washington Commanders owner conducted a “shadow investigation” of accusers.

By Jenny Vrentas
June 22, 2022 Updated 1:12 p.m. ET

As the N.F.L. was investigating his team for widespread workplace misconduct, the Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder directed a “shadow investigation” to interfere with and undermine its findings, a Congressional committee found.

At Snyder’s behest, his legal team used private investigators to harass and intimidate witnesses, and created a 100-page dossier targeting victims, witnesses and journalists who had shared “credible public accusations of harassment” against the team.

The House Committee on Oversight and Reform released a 29-page memo on Wednesday that detailed the findings of its eight-month inquiry into how the Commanders and the N.F.L. handled claims of rampant sexual harassment of the team’s female employees. The report came ahead of a hearing where the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, was expected to appear and face questioning.

Snyder declined two requests to appear, citing a “longstanding business conflict.” At Wednesday’s hearing, Representative Carolyn B. Maloney, Democrat of New York and the chairwoman of the committee, said she planned to subpoena Snyder to provide a deposition next week.

In the memo, Maloney wrote that the panel’s inquiry uncovered evidence that Snyder sought to discredit those who had made claims against the team and to create “an exculpatory narrative” that Snyder was not to blame for the misconduct, which was alleged to have taken place from 2006 to 2019, almost the entire tenure of his ownership.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/22/spor ... gress.html
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:24 pm I just hate the waste. They should make the owners pay to bring them back within standards, and pay to ship them to someone who could use them.
Probably a blood-turnip situation. But they almost certainly have aluminum casing parts, steel frames & copper wires that could be harvested and recycled.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:41 am My GoPro camera is waterproof.

I know this because I left it in the pocket of my pants and ran them through the clothes washer.

It works perfectly. :biggrin:
How do you do that? My GoPro may not be large enough for a "is that a GoPro in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" but the weight is more than most things that join your pants in the wash.

Good to hear it was waterproof. To bad, it was not running. That could be a fund video and with image stabilization, it could work. The lack of light would be a problem.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:56 am How do you do that?
It's a gift. :rockon:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

If she just had worn a AR15 to cover up....
Louisiana woman posts viral TikTok video after citation for wearing shorts and crop top

Meredith G. White, Shreveport Times
Fri, June 24, 2022 at 12:24 AM
This story has been updated to include a statement from Casey LaCaze-Lachney.

A Winnfield, LA woman's TikTok video has gone viral after she took to the app to complain about an indecent exposure citation she received at a festival on Saturday, June 11.

Casey LaCaze-Lachney, known on the app by her username @kazzi112, posted about the incident where it has received more than 2.6 million. LaCaze-Lachney captioned the video "make it make sense" before showing viewers the outfit in question.

LaCaze-Lachney is shown wearing a black t-shirt that covered her shoulders and was cropped just above the belly button paired with cutoff denim shorts and a studded belt.

In the video LaCaze-Lachney states "All of my bits are covered. Are you kidding me? At a family event where there's alcohol being literally handed out for free and three female cops came up to me and gave me a ticket."

On Wednesday, June 15 the Winnfield Police Department made a post on Facebook stating:
  • "Recent posts to social media have had a negative impact on the service of our police officers during this family fun-filled festival. An unnamed citizen was cited for a city ordinance and has since taken to a popular social media site, blasting police officers. However, 3 female officers responded to various complaints about the person's attire and the person of interest was issued a citation under the city ordinance."
The referenced city ordinance states:
  • "It shall be unlawful for any person to wear pants, trousers, shorts, skirts, dresses or skorts in any public place or places open to the public which either intentionally exposes undergarments or intentionally exposes any portion of the pubic hair, cleft of buttocks, or genitals."
According to the Winnfield Police Department's post, the fines range from $25 for a first offense to a maximum of $300 and the person may be ordered to perform up to 40 hours of community service.

"We, as public servants, will not engage in a social media war with anyone or any organization as it is improper and brings discredit upon this department," stated a department spokesperson on the Winnfield Police Department's Facebook post. "We also cannot comment on details of any case under investigation or pending court action."

Since the viral video, LaCaze-Lachney has posted two updates on TikTok explaining in more detail what happened and stated that she was looking for legal representation.

"I moved here in October and don't know the officer that approached me," said LaCaze-Lachney. "I did feel targeted. I was not informed about complaints at the time of the citation so it's unclear if it was actually driven by the community or if it was just the officers acting alone. I second guess everything I wear in public now."

To see the original videos and the updates, check out LaCaze-Lachney's TikTok page and to see the full statement from the Winnfield Police Department visit its Facebook page.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/louisiana-wo ... 29418.html
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The Mr. and I are using one of our rare public outing nights tomorrow, going to a tiny club (McCabes) in Santa Monica to see these guys:

You may recognize the older guy.

Maybenaut was with us last time we saw them there.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:57 am The Mr. and I are using one of our rare public outing nights tomorrow, going to a tiny club (McCabes) in Santa Monica to see these guys:

You may recognize the older guy.

Maybenaut was with us last time we saw them there.

TOM PAXTON! I wanna come too!

How am I gonna get there in time???????
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I don't know what is going on here, but I'm definitely feeling it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I'm beginning to think everyone in Texas is completely insane. Is The Austin Chronicle a real paper?
Asian Mail Order Brides: Your Guide To Asian Women For Marriage
Asian Mail Order Brides - Find Your True Soulmate Online

Have you ever pictured yourself with an Asian girl by your side, walking proudly into a room as everyone admires your couple? But have you ever thought that it's more real than you ever imagined?

The modern mail order bride industry has given everyone a chance to meet Asian beauties without extra effort. Find out how it works, what you need to succeed, and where to find your own Asian girl.

EasternHoneys: Thousands of Asian beauties and a comprehensive selection of communication tools.

CuteAsianWoman: Meet Asian girls who are actually excited to get to know you.

TheLuckyDate: Convenient interface, plenty of Asian girls to meet for all kinds of relationships.

AsianMelodies: Get to know Asian women through detailed profiles and search options.

FindAsianBeauty: Asian beauties are closer than ever before with video chat and phone call features.
:snippity:
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/s ... er-brides/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:06 pm I'm beginning to think everyone in Texas is completely insane. Is The Austin Chronicle a real paper?
Asian Mail Order Brides: Your Guide To Asian Women For Marriage
Asian Mail Order Brides - Find Your True Soulmate Online
:snippity:
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/s ... er-brides/
This is actually the great honeypot trap for US men. They get lured to send money to their adored pictured lovely face and will never get a chance to bring the female to the US.

I have not been following the hurdles for US citizens to bring a wife to the US anymore for ten years, but the rules will not have gotten easier. The US has some very strict conditions on granting visas. Disclaimer: this knowlege was earned on other forums where relationships with South Asian partners were discussed.

A visitor visa to the US for a foreigner will only be granted to a person having a longtime secured job in their home country, and able to show longtime savings. IOW would be at least middle class in their local society. They will not be using the mentioned websites. Contacts would likely be found thru social media. A US male would need to fly out to meet the lady of choice and get to know her personally. If the feelings match up, the male could try for a visitors visa, the likelihood of getting it approved are slim to none, too many overstayers that did not leave the US. Making a tourist trip overseas to meet the lady and marry locally will fail to generate a spousal visa for return. A longer relationship must be documented. With a longer relationship documented there is a possibility to apply for a visa to marry in the US. Back in the days ICE had several processing centers and the worst had processing times of up to 18 months, success not guaranteed. The foreign partner had to make several interviews at the local US embassy and provide huge documentations. Fees could reach $2000, non refundable if application denied.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Re honeytrap:

Darling, my computer is dead (why can she still read and write email?), send money...

or the lady is communicating with several contacts, each sponsors a notebook, cause sometimes the lady does really not know that it is a multiuse device (more likely they never make a purchase, or if someone sends a device as present it gets used in the family, brothers and sisters)

Thai version when the lady lives in the country side. the buffalo fell ill and the vet needs to come (no vet, the critter will be put down and steaks get served)

Thai variations: the brother crashed his bike, needs one to work in the far off city (brother works on farm, bike may be bent but otherwise totally functioning or brother just wants to show off some new glittery machine)

So get to learn your potential partner in their home country, get to meet their immediate (and possibly large extended) family. Learn about the economic differences between the US and the foreign country, learn the customs. And do not shower them with $$$$$.
tek

Post by tek »

choose_task.jpg
choose_task.jpg (228.45 KiB) Viewed 477 times
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:53 pm I don't know what is going on here, but I'm definitely feeling it.
With the number of electric scooters, it looks like China, except for the absence of police. An intersection of that size in China would likely have at least one policeman. Maybe SE Asia?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:18 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:53 pm I don't know what is going on here, but I'm definitely feeling it.
With the number of electric scooters, it looks like China, except for the absence of police. An intersection of that size in China would likely have at least one policeman. Maybe SE Asia?
I was speculating Thailand, but could not positively identify the marking on the road. Could also be Malaysia or Indonesia.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I loathe how wedding parties and photographers take over public spaces with no regard for anyone else.

(Probably not a popular opinion but it’s mine.)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am I loathe how wedding parties and photographers take over public spaces with no regard for anyone else.

(Probably not a popular opinion but it’s mine.)
I'm a church musician who has played many weddings. Wedding photographers are not my favorite.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:48 pm
jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:18 am
I was speculating Thailand, but could not positively identify the marking on the road. Could also be Malaysia or Indonesia.
The writing on the buildings looks like Korean to me.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 pm
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Return to “General Stuff”