Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/0 ... rch-526707
Republicans are ramping up their search for a host city for the party’s 2024 national convention, narrowing the list of contenders to four cities.

The cities in contention are Milwaukee, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Salt Lake City, according to a person familiar with the search process. Party officials are planning to visit each of the locations over the coming months before finalizing a decision in the spring.

The deliberations come as the GOP begins its early preparations for the next presidential election. When Republican National Committee members gather in Salt Lake City next month for their annual winter meeting, they are expected to discuss a range of 2024-related issues, including the primary calendar, primary and general election debates and the convention search.

The choice of a convention host city has taken on an important symbolic role in recent years, with both parties using them to deliver statements of intent about competing for important swing states — and to direct attention and organizing resources to those places. Neither Republicans nor Democrats have gone outside a potential battleground for a convention city since 2004, though coronavirus interfered with both parties’ plans in 2020.
No. No. No.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Don't worry, Andy, as soon as they choose one city, Trump will throw a tantrum and demand it be changed, and ... the Reverse Midas Rule kicks in: Everything Trump Touches Turns to :shit:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The biggest problem I see with those cities is there are no Trump properties in those cities. That simply won't do. Trump will insist on being able to personally enrich himself off any official party events.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://news.yahoo.com/cambridge-peer-r ... 49884.html
"While, under normal conditions, maintaining democracy and rights is typically compatible with guaranteeing safety, in emergency situations, conflicts between these two aspects of legitimacy can and often do arise," assistant professor of political theory at the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile Ross Mittiga writes in the study’s abstract. "A salient example of this is the COVID-19 pandemic, during which severe limitations on free movement and association have become legitimate techniques of government. Climate change poses an even graver threat to public safety. Consequently, I argue, legitimacy may require a similarly authoritarian approach."

The study drew criticism on Twitter, most notably from Alexander Wuttke, political psychology professor at the University of Mannheim, who called the study "disturbing."

"In my reading, it explicitly argues that we must put climate action over democracy and adopt authoritarian governance if democracies fail to act on climate change," Wuttke tweeted.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:46 pm https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/0 ... rch-526707
Republicans are ramping up their search for a host city for the party’s 2024 national convention, narrowing the list of contenders to four cities.

:snippity:
No. No. No.
Time to play dirty and remind all cities that the former guy and his campaign still have open bills in various cities...
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NBC News
@NBCNews
·
3h
Humans have infected wild deer with Covid-19 and there’s evidence the virus has been spreading between deer, recent studies show, which outline findings that could complicate the path out of the pandemic.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

Dogs and cats can get covid, too. From their humans. Usually, they have mild cold symptoms, but pet owners with covid are now advised to stay clear of their pets until well. Although it's rare, some sick dogs develop myocarditis or pericarditis, just like some humans with covid. (Also, there are studies underway on long covid in animals.)

That got me looking up Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) and covid. It's a rare autoimmune disorder that causes blood to not clot properly, because the immune system destroys the blood-clotting platelets. Dogs can also have ITP. The cause is not known, but it's thought to be caused by some kinds of viral infection. Turns out, it's a not uncommon finding in someone with covid without a history of it. Are dogs are also at risk for ITP if they have covid?
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Daniel Dale
@ddale8
·
27m
The claim that Justice Sotomayor had dinner with Schumer and Pelosi last night has spread pretty far this morning, but the source of the claim, Politico, now says it’s wrong.
Quote Tweet
POLITICO Playbook
@playbookdc
· 35m
CORRECTION: This morning's Playbook had a photo of a Friday dinner at Le Diplomate, and misidentified Iris Schumer, the majority leader’s wife, as Sonia Sotomayor.

Our tipster got it wrong, but we should have double checked. We deeply regret the error. https://politico.com/newsletters/playbo ... den-495650
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

And in any case, so what? Clarence and Ginny probably have dinner with extreme right-wingers and other fascists regularly.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

roadscholar wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:24 pm And in any case, so what? Clarence and Ginny probably have dinner with extreme right-wingers and other fascists regularly.
No one blinks at that any more.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Oh damn. At least 5 people were killed and up to 20 are missing after that slab of rock fell on the boats. I knew that video looked bad, and probably were at least some serious injuries.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... e-82153316
--Colin Kaepernick
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

The literary Winnie the Pooh has entered the public domain, but not the Disney art version.
D4CC4AA0-B397-4555-AA14-C79DDE4DAFF4.jpeg
D4CC4AA0-B397-4555-AA14-C79DDE4DAFF4.jpeg (416.36 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

apart from The Pooh, also too:
WaPo wrote:Among the many works in this year’s public domain trove — now that their requisite 95-year period has ended under U.S. copyright law — are Felix Salten’s original “Bambi, a Life in the Woods” novel; titles by Ernest Hemingway, Langston Hughes and Dorothy Parker; classic silent films and Broadway songs; and about 400,000 pre-1923 sound recordings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... ic-domain/
WinniePoohOnWaPo.jpg
WinniePoohOnWaPo.jpg (187.66 KiB) Viewed 767 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Robert Durst, a convicted murderer, is dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ir-dies-78

Started to put it in Rest in Peace, but decided on this instead.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Good call.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
filly

Post by filly »

This news does not belong in the RIP thread, because it's Robert Durst, who hopefully will burn in hell for all eternity (if there were a hell). But he's dead.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

For months after the pandemic hit in 2020, my phone was quiet. There just were no telemarketers making phone calls. It was so strange, so nice.

But today? Good grief. I've had six calls today which I haven't answered because they all appear to be telemarketers.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

In 2015 Mr Daisy and his yard husband Terry (aka our handyman) built this fort for the grandson who was 2 at the time.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
A year later Alice came along and together they've been playing in and defending that fort ever since. I made them some little wooden shields, which they painted with their own "colors", and they have plastic swords. They've always loved playing and sword fighting out there, there's a ladder inside so they can get to the top turret and watch for bad guys.

This year for Christmas I bought them real fencing lessons and the first class is tonight. They are so excited they're about to bust. I hope they behave and don't go bonkers like they think they're Robin Hood defending the castle. BTW they love that movie!
Attachments
Fort.jpg
Fort.jpg (86.84 KiB) Viewed 643 times
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My brother the Yeti is a fencing coach for M Team Fencing, (arguably) the best fencing school in the country, and teaches lots of little kids the fine art of stabbing others for points.

That's a great gift, MsDaisy. Who knows? You might be giving a future Olympian their start.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

An actual FORT!!! How cool are grandma and grandpa Daisy!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Wowed. I wish I was younger so you could adopt me. Best. Grandparents. Ever. :thumbsup: :clap:
--Colin Kaepernick
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:20 am An actual FORT!!! How cool are grandma Moppie and grandpa Poppie!!!!!!
FIFY :lol:

Donavan tagged me Moppie when he started talking, no idea where that came from. His other grandma is a Mimi who was tagged by his cousins before he came along. They have two Poppies, they identify them as Dr. Poppie because he has a doctor's bag and they regularly have to check ears, throats and listen to chests just cuz. And the other one they call Chocolate Poppie because he AWAYS has chocolate puddings. :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'll tell you how great Grandpa and Grandma Daisy are.

One time I visited them with my boys, driving up to Bathysphere or wherever it is back when they were about 6 and 8 years old, and in 20 minutes MrDaisy had produced fishing poles and was leading us down to the pond, along with their three-legged goggie.

The next time we were there, he broke out the grill and cooked bun dogs for lunch. And another time both boys got to swim in the pool.

Oh yeah, trips to see MsDaisy and her husband were ALWAYS a good time! :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 pm I'll tell you how great Grandpa and Grandma Daisy are.

One time I visited them with my boys, driving up to Bathysphere or wherever it is back when they were about 6 and 8 years old, and in 20 minutes MrDaisy had produced fishing poles and was leading us down to the pond, along with their three-legged goggie.

The next time we were there, he broke out the grill and cooked bun dogs for lunch. And another time both boys got to swim in the pool.

Oh yeah, trips to see MsDaisy and her husband were ALWAYS a good time! :thumbsup:
Poor old Murphy, he was such a great dog. Now we have Henry (1/2 lab 1/2 Coonhound) and Wally (1/2 Lab 1/2 Doberman) Henry is a girl, named after Mr.D's great aunt.

Return to “General Stuff”