Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Without the United States, Mexico would be eating cat food from a can, said Republican Senator John Neely Kennedy, during the appearance of the head of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), Anne Milgram.

“Our economy is 18 times the size of Mexico’s. We buy $400 billion from them every year. Without the American people, Mexico would be, figuratively speaking, eating cat food out of a can and living in a backyard store.” said the congressman.

During the hearing, the actions taken by the Agency and the Biden Administration to combat the fentanyl crisis in the country and the Mexican drug cartels were discussed. :snippity:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I betcha Yeezy shoes go great with Mike Lindell's slippers. :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Lots of people around the world could use free footwear.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 pm Lots of people around the world could use free footwear.
Several clothing lines have thought that, too, and donated it to other countries. People in other countries would buy it up for pennies and re-sell it at close to market price. Clothing now gets cut up and thrown away rather than donated.

Some people are just assholes.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Ron Filipkowski
@ronfilipkowski@bird.makeup
Many Trump supporters are so hostile to one of Trump’s closest advisers. I wonder why? 🤔

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Venomous toad :mad:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

DNA evidence reveals family man in Australia was teenage killer who escaped Nebraska jail
William Leslie Arnold killed his parents aged 16 in 1957 and escaped prison ten years later, mystifying authorities until now

Edward Helmore
Sun 14 May 2023 11.00 BST

William Leslie Arnold was just 16 years old in 1957 when he killed his parents and buried them in the backyard after they refused to let him borrow the family car to take his girlfriend to a drive-in movie showing of The Undead.

Arnold went about his life in and around Omaha, Nebraska, telling everyone – even family members – that his parents had taken a trip. Two weeks later he was arrested, confessed to the killings and led investigators to his parents’ makeshift gravesite.

The following year he was sentenced to two life sentences in the Nebraska state penitentiary. And that – most people expected – should have been that.

But by the time Arnold died in 2010 in Brisbane, Australia, his life had taken a series of very unexpected turns. For one, he’d escaped prison in 1967, in what the prison warden said was one of the “cleanest” escapes in his experience, and then gone on the run for half a century.

Last week, the US Marshals Service announced that he died, aged 67, not as William Arnold but under the alias of John Vincent Damon. Between his escape – with another prisoner, James Harding, using masks used to fool guards who conducted daily head counts at the prison – and his death, he’d lived as much-loved family man, marrying twice and fathering two children.

Immediately after the escape, the pair travelled by bus to Chicago where they split up. Harding was captured within a year but Arnold vanished. He married within three months and became a father, moved to Miami and to California, divorced, then moved to New Zealand in 1978 and finally to Australia, where he worked as a salesman.

The FBI worked on Arnold’s case into the 1990s, then handed it back to the Nebraska department of corrections who passed it over the US Marshals Service. And there his case stayed, gathering dust, until Geoff Britton, chief of the office of law enforcement support in California, set his mind to solving it.

When Britton started working on it, Arnold had been on the run for more than three decades. Britton became obsessed and worked the case for nine years from 2004 to 2013 at the state of Nebraska department of correctional services.

“To kill your parents over the use of the car to go to the movies – that’s not normal. It made me wonder if something else was going on,” he told CNN last week.

In 2020, the case was handed over to Matthew Westover, a deputy marshal in Nebraska. “One of the guys left the office, and [when you leave] you have to hand over your cases. So one of my buddies gave me this case, as kind of a joke, you know, like ‘you’re never going to find this guy,’” Westover told CNN.

The deputy read up on the case, in particular “The Mystery of Leslie Arnold”, published in the Omaha World-Herald by reporter Henry Cordes in 2017. Cordes had portrayed Arnold sympathetically – as a good student who had a difficult relationship with his parents and shot them after an argument with his mother over his girlfriend.

For the eight years Arnold was in prison he’d been a model inmate, a dedicated musician who could have qualified for early release. With some irony, the men’s escape was made through the window of the prison music room, and over a 12ft fence using a T-shirt slung over it to protected them from razor wire.

“From day one, I was hooked,” Westover told the network.

The marshal drove five hours to see to James Arnold, Arnold’s young brother who gave a DNA sample that Westover referenced across an ancestry site. Nothing came up for two years until he received an alert of a match and an email from a man in Chicago who said he was looking for his biological father.

story continues at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -jailbreak
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Well, if this don’t beat all…
We have a possible arsonist wandering around our neighborhood. There’s a hill next to our house, at the end of a cul-de-sac. Friday a neighbor saw a suspicious character leave our street. He checked his Ring footage and saw the figure light a fire then high-tail it. By the time he reached the area the fire was out but smoldering - i guess he’s not a very successful arsonist. ;)

We live in a canyon in the city, if that makes any sense. Pomona is mostly flat even though we’re in the Foothill corridor but there’s a big hill near the Fairgrounds with a park at the foot of the hill and houses scattered throughout. The park is home to several houseless people who are shelter-resistant. The city has done mostly right by that community, building several places during COVID and making regular visits for outreach. Those that are left are probably more mentally ill than dangerous. One guy would strip naked then find a home with a big picture window and :yankyank: while the homeowners watched TV. It took months to catch him; I suspect once word got out that he was a really big guy he had help evading police until they could see for themselves. ;) There were also arsonists for real. We had two close calls in the last year.

Our neighbor posted his video to our NextDoor to warn the neighbors. Lots of people piped up to say they’ve seen him wandering the huge park next to us. And this being NextDoor, there are a few (who live 20 miles away) scolding the poster for jumping to conclusions, oh no you might ruin his life with false accusations. He’s just a Goth kid!

Okay then! I’ll send him over to your place and you can two can commiserate about being falsely accused. :thumbsup:
5D8CB8BA-5FBC-46C1-A099-9853B880FED7.jpeg
5D8CB8BA-5FBC-46C1-A099-9853B880FED7.jpeg (114.17 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Holy crap!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Hijack This Thread

Post by RVInit »

A long time ago there was a large group of young adults in my town (at the time, not where I live now) who were into "being vampires". I was walking my dog really early one foggy morning and up ahead saw a large group of "vampires" in the middle of the street walking in my direction. Even though I know there is no such thing as actual vampires, it was super creepy, especially with the fog affect. I think they especially enjoyed getting up early when there was fog because of the atmosphere it added to the whole thing.

For some reason that photo reminded me of that incident.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Some asshole attacked Rep, Gerry Connolly’s (D-VA) staffers with a baseball bat.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/05/15/poli ... index.html
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

from that link..

"The attack comes amid a string of incidents where members of Congress, their staff and their families have been attacked in recent months.

In March, a staffer for Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky was stabbed in Washington, DC. In February, a man assaulted Democratic Rep. Angie Craig of Minnesota in the elevator of her apartment building also in Washington. In October, a man attacked Paul Pelosi, the husband of then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, hospitalizing him after hitting Paul Pelosi with a hammer in the couple's home in San Francisco."
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Christian fundraising site GiveSendGo has raised over $2.4M (so far) for the defense of NYC subway choker Marine Daniel Penny, facing manslaughter charges IIRC. Because WWJD.

GiveSendGo released a statement:
"GiveSendGo does not support right wing causes over left wing causes. GiveSendGo is a platform that allows campaigns, that are legal endeavors, from all sides of the political/ideological divide. In this moment in time when voices are amplified through social platforms, potentially damaging an individuals right to a fair and impartial trial, it is paramount to allow individuals the access to funds to afford them a rigorous defense and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law," Wells said. "This principle is fundamental to our constitutional republic and at GiveSendGo we will continue to stand for these fundamental freedoms while also sharing the Hope of Jesus with everyone who uses our platform."
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Today marks 8 weeks since I came home from the hospital following my post COVID diabetes flare up. I just got home from an appointment with my endocrinologist. We're increasing my Trulicity dose from .75mg to 1.5mg but weening me off of the last bit of insulin, which has dropped to about 9 units per day recently. I was originally taking 13 units per meal when I got back from the hospital. Except for a few mornings, my blood sugar numbers have been consistently below 100 and even those odd morning numbers were below 110.

I guess it's safe to say that things are going well. Now, if I could just get my back to follow suit.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:33 am Now, if I could just get my back to follow suit.
Well that's mostly good news, but I have to ask, are you getting physical therapy for the back? And is it getting better or worse?

Admittedly, the reason I ask is I've become a kind of an evangelist about my physical therapist, who is part of a fairly big national group called Total Motion Release, which has an unusual - but highly effective - approach to the work.

I've had physical therapy several times in the past, most recently when I had sciatica pain a few years ago. And my niece is a PhD therapist, who doesn't do Total Motion, but I still love her. ♥️

She has a series of exercises that they think you should do for a surgically repaired shoulder, and I'm sure some of them are really good for you. But at Total Motion, we test every exercise to see if it really is helpful, and we find a number of exercises that are really, really bad for me.

I mean really bad, like today the testing was, I was lifting a 3 lbs. weight in my arm, straight arm and lifting to the front. I started at 97° today, which was good. I did the first exercise and it got to 105°, which is a new high for me (it was about 60° two weeks ago).

Then I did the next exercise and it went down to 78°. I mean, that exercise really was bad for me. Not for everyone, and I'm sure there are a ton of people out there who would really benefit from doing that exercise. But not me.

And I know that another physical therapist wouldn't have measured the effect of each exercise and weeded out the bad ones like that. They have a series of exercises you do for a reconstructed shoulder, and that's what you're supposed to do, dammit.

And we found some exercises after that which really helped, and I got up to 109° before I left this morning, which is a new high. What they do, works in a way I can see with my own eyes.

So if you need therapy, check it out. :thumbsup:
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:47 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 pm Lots of people around the world could use free footwear.
Several clothing lines have thought that, too, and donated it to other countries. People in other countries would buy it up for pennies and re-sell it at close to market price. Clothing now gets cut up and thrown away rather than donated.

All over Central and South America, people buy pallets of clothing to start their "Ropa Americana" stores. Always my favorite place to shop. Some pretty good brands too.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:47 pm

I used to volunteer for an org that took in those clothes for children. The manufacturers would slash them with razor blades, then we would get them and volunteers would iron on patches if they were salvageable and donate them to children in need.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:20 am
Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:33 am Now, if I could just get my back to follow suit.
Well that's mostly good news, but I have to ask, are you getting physical therapy for the back? And is it getting better or worse?

Admittedly, the reason I ask is I've become a kind of an evangelist about my physical therapist, who is part of a fairly big national group called Total Motion Release, which has an unusual - but highly effective - approach to the work.

I've had physical therapy several times in the past, most recently when I had sciatica pain a few years ago. And my niece is a PhD therapist, who doesn't do Total Motion, but I still love her. ♥️

She has a series of exercises that they think you should do for a surgically repaired shoulder, and I'm sure some of them are really good for you. But at Total Motion, we test every exercise to see if it really is helpful, and we find a number of exercises that are really, really bad for me.

I mean really bad, like today the testing was, I was lifting a 3 lbs. weight in my arm, straight arm and lifting to the front. I started at 97° today, which was good. I did the first exercise and it got to 105°, which is a new high for me (it was about 60° two weeks ago).

Then I did the next exercise and it went down to 78°. I mean, that exercise really was bad for me. Not for everyone, and I'm sure there are a ton of people out there who would really benefit from doing that exercise. But not me.

And I know that another physical therapist wouldn't have measured the effect of each exercise and weeded out the bad ones like that. They have a series of exercises you do for a reconstructed shoulder, and that's what you're supposed to do, dammit.

And we found some exercises after that which really helped, and I got up to 109° before I left this morning, which is a new high. What they do, works in a way I can see with my own eyes.

So if you need therapy, check it out. :thumbsup:

My back has been kind of a wreck off and on for the last decade or so. My pain level is usually manageable but lately I've been pushing it into the 4 to 6 range where it tends to stay for days at a time. Part of the issue is likely that I lost a lot of muscle tone over the course of 3 months after I hurt my wrist, contracted COVID and then landed in the hospital with diabetes. Now that I'm finally active again it's causing flare ups.

I'm not seeing anything in the area for Total Motion Release but I may be due for another round of therapy. Everybody seems to have their own methods but some have been more effective than others. I've been through multiple rounds of therapy and steroid injections, I'm on muscle relaxers, pain killers and prescription anti inflammatories, and get massages every couple of weeks to lower the strain on the discs. There's been talk of surgery a few times over the years but have so far managed to avoid it. Things could be a lot worse, and have been, but they could be better.

For now, I'll take the win on the diabetes though. :biggrin:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, any kind of win against diabetes is a keeper. :boxing:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

A US company is trying to trademark the shape of its lettuce – but this is just the tip of the iceberg
From Rebekah Vardy trademarking ‘Wagatha Christie’ to Drake’s ‘God’s Plan’, we live in a world where absolutely anything can be monetised

Arwa Mahdawi
Wed 17 May 2023 07.00 BST

Hannah Gadsby, a feted, award-winning comedian, has curated an exhibition at the Brooklyn Museum, about Pablo Picasso’s complicated legacy, called It’s Pablo-matic. This has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand – which is lettuce. Rather, I am alerting you to the exhibition because it’s proof that terrible puns are now high art. Bear this in mind as I proceed to make as many terrible leaf puns as I can in the next few paragraphs.

OK, lettuce get back to the point. A US company called Little Leaf Farms is trying to trademark the curvy shape of its baby crispy green leaf lettuce. Is this some kind of GM-nightmare leaf, you might be wondering? Has big lettuce deviously planted cells in order to create a super-curvy salad? I wouldn’t rule it out, but in this instance it seems the lettuce’s shape is natural and the result of a particular seed being grown in a way that results in ruffled edges. Can you trademark that? US trademark experts seem to think it’s a long shot, but possible.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg, isn’t it? Please romaine calm, but we live in a world where absolutely anything can be commoditised, monetised, trademarked and privatised. If you make a joke on the internet and it goes viral, for example, it’s almost guaranteed that someone will try to profit from it. Just ask Dan Atkinson, who coined a (little) gem of a pun, “Wagatha Christie”, and then, three years later, discovered that Rebekah Vardy had trademarked the phrase so that, if she feels like it, she can slap it on a line of branded meat tenderisers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rk-lettuce
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Did a sleep study earlier this month. It was at home, which was nice. Just had a nose thing to measure my breathing, a finger thing to measure pulse and oxygen, and some kind of thing strapped to my chest. Probably to measure movement and gather data from the nose and finger things. Well, go the results today.

I have severe sleep apnea. Seems I had obstructed breathing, or stopped breathing, about every 3 minutes or so on average. Which would explain why I'm always so freaking tired. :bag:

As soon as the insurance company makes up their mind, I'll be getting a cpap. I hate stuff on my head and face when I sleep, so I'm thinking it might take some getting used to. Any advice for other users of these contraptions?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Took me about a month to get used to the mask.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

No experience, just wishing you luck. :bighug:

Return to “General Stuff”