Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:56 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:16 pm Our younger daughter told us about this. She was in the drama class with this man in high school. :shock:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wmar2n ... amp%3Dtrue
When I clicked on the link, I just get an icon not the page for the article, and the URL just goes to the image, so I can't just edit it. Got a better link, by chance?
This:

https://www.wmar2news.com/news/local-ne ... ounty-home
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Thanks!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Epic thread.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

After seeing the devastation airbnb does to local real estate prices, I'm coming around to the opinion that one should in general avoid them, but this is interesting. Who even knew airbnb checked that?
Bethany Hallam @bethanyhallam wrote: Did I just… get a lifetime @Airbnb booking ban for a 9 year old possession charge?!? 🤯
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

A question(s) for those who use Quickbooks. When it does all the payroll figuring for taxes and stuff, does it automatically remit federal taxes to the IRS at some point? We have 3 years of bank statements from a non-profit that uses it but have zero debits to the business account for IRS payments. Would they show up as a payment to the IRS or to Intuit? Is this even making any sense?

Also, if a bonus is paid as a lump sum should the employee get a 10-99? If they don't, who is responsible for taxes not paid? Can a bonus be "hidden" under an incorrect code like 'cleaning supplies' or some such to avoid tax stuff?

Ballpark guess for what a full audit would cost?

If the bookkeeper fucks up (accidentally or otherwise) what are the pros and cons of self-reporting to the IRS?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:50 pm Epic thread.
Beautiful! Surprisingly, I’ve been to four of those buildings: Hohenzollern Castle in Germany, Wat Phra Kae in Thailand, The Moscow Metro in Russia, and the Rafael Rooms at the Vatican.

My absolute favorite thing to do when I travel is to walk around and look at the architecture - I’d rather do that than go to museums or restaurants.

Because I’m such a fan of architecture, I decorated an entire wall in my old house with black and white photos I took on my travels of buildings or architectural details. And two of my photos are from buildings on this list: Hohenzollern and Wat Phra Kae. The photos are all still in boxes - they’ll go up when we’ve completed some interior construction projects.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm After seeing the devastation airbnb does to local real estate prices, I'm coming around to the opinion that one should in general avoid them, but this is interesting. Who even knew airbnb checked that?
Bethany Hallam @bethanyhallam wrote: Did I just… get a lifetime @Airbnb booking ban for a 9 year old possession charge?!? 🤯
Our local economy depends almost entirely on the short-term rental market, and most of the people advertise on multiple platforms, including airbnb and vrbo, as well as through local rental agencies. This is a reasonably busy tourist area but there are only few (mostly crappy) hotels; people who come here stay in rental cabins.

There used to be light industry around here, but that all got shut down because the businesses were not large or profitable enough to comply with evolving environmental standards. There’s also agriculture - chicken and beef cattle mostly, as well as the feed for them, and a few commercial apple orchards.

But the agriculture isn’t nearly significant enough to prop up the economy, which depends on tourists spending out-of-town dollars on goods and services without placing any additional strain.

I don’t know what kind of stress the short-term rental market has placed on local real estate prices, but my sense is that it hasn’t been that much. A house out here costs about a third of what a comparable house in Northern Virginia would sell for.

In Northern Virginia we paid a shit-ton per year in property taxes for a 2000 sq ft townhouse with no yard. Out here, we’re paying half that on 18 acres and 2 houses. If we put our cabin on the short-term rental market (which we plan to do in the next year or so), that will add to the local taxes, but I’m not sure how much.

We don’t have our cabin on airbnb yet, but we likely will in the next year or so.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Do you think the MAGApublicans would like a slice?
Black Shirt Pizza.png
Black Shirt Pizza.png (511.12 KiB) Viewed 735 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

The oldest government in history
America’s gerontocracy is disconnecting Congress from the rest of the country, an Insider data analysis reveals.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Whoa!

Your birthday PLUS your age = 2022.

This is true for everybody on the planet!

Pretty cool,

Actually, I thi k it only works after your birthday.each year.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
June bug

Post by June bug »

Umm yeah, cute! Your birth year plus your age (post-birthday) always equals the current year.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:confuzzled:

Yes, if you add your age to the year you were born you will get the current year. That's kind of the definition of age.
keith

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:42 am :confuzzled:

Yes, if you add your age to the year you were born you will get the current year. That's kind of the definition of age.
Um, yeah. It took me 15 minutes to explain it to my sister who sent me the shocking revelation.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Then your sister is Bogarting the good stuff.

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

THE RETURN OF THE ORIGINAL MEME!!!!!!!
https://gizmodo.com/seesaw-goatse-hack- ... 1849537152
Goatse is an old “shock site” that originally launched back in 1999; the site just said “hello” and featured an image of an asshole being spread open.
What the article doesn'' say is that the person featured ws into inserting objects into his anus and it was quite distended, which led to the hilarity over the London Olympics logo. It was also the companion to a pic of a man with an overly large penis.

USENET AT IT'S FINEST.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:53 pm
That was Keith with back to camera in the bright yellow pants directing the whoo-whoos?

I used to have a pair of pants exactly the same, but I never thought to wear it with a red belt. Never was much of a fashionista, I guess.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I've seen a lot of obnoxious ads in my life but I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake! I wonder how many crotches they had to sniff to come up with those stats. :sick:

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Fela is one of my favorite artists. Thank you.

My commutes tend to be 20 minutes or more which is just long enough for one of his songs. I imagine being a musician in his band requires a lot of stamina.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:35 pm I've seen a lot of obnoxious ads in my life but I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake! I wonder how many crotches they had to sniff to come up with those stats. :sick:
Nothing new.

1981 -- I hated this commercial because I did not understand it :lol: Help my teenage eyes and ears recover.

MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

neonzx wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:46 am
MsDaisy wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:35 pm I've seen a lot of obnoxious ads in my life but I'm pretty sure this one takes the cake! I wonder how many crotches they had to sniff to come up with those stats. :sick:
Nothing new.

1981 -- I hated this commercial because I did not understand it :lol: Help my teenage eyes and ears recover.

Okay but at least there's no crotch spreading in that one :lol:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

The bunker
Attachments
antifa.jpg
antifa.jpg (53.3 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Speaking of the 1981 ad, I didn't understand it and I had just given birth to my firstborn!!!!! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”