Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

There's a community park across from us. Before they paved the parking lot many years ago, edible mushrooms grew there. I used to harvest them and cook with them. I've never touched another one anywhere since then, though. I knew they were edible because of other people picking and eating them.

The mushroom soup last night, with mushrooms bought from a grocery store, was great!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 am There's a community park across from us. Before they paved the parking lot many years ago, edible mushrooms grew there. I used to harvest them and cook with them. I've never touched another one anywhere since then, though. I knew they were edible because of other people picking and eating them.

The mushroom soup last night, with mushrooms bought from a grocery store, was great!
What makes it Hungarian? Care to share the recipe?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:56 am There's a community park across from us. Before they paved the parking lot many years ago, edible mushrooms grew there. I used to harvest them and cook with them. I've never touched another one anywhere since then, though. I knew they were edible because of other people picking and eating them.

Fungus... Tastes like dirt to me, and they squeak on my teeth. :faint: MrD LOVES fried fungus for breakfast so I am required to buy them when I go to the shop, but Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to make me eat them... :sick:
tek

Post by tek »

my new buddy.. Ivy Rose.. a rescue from a large puppy mill..
ivy1sm.jpg
ivy1sm.jpg (353.3 KiB) Viewed 521 times
ms and I stopped in to visit a friend-of-a-friend while vacationing in the Blue Ridge Mountains.. Ivy and I hit it off immediately..

Not pictured is Fran.. who spent 6 years at a puppy mill making puppies.. Fran is still pretty skittish, and is especially afraid of males.. but she and I got to the point where she'd sneak a kiss when I was laying on the floor before she'd retreat.

We'll stop in again before we leave.. though after that it will be quite a while before I see these fine ladies again..
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:49 am

What makes it Hungarian? Care to share the recipe?
I'll post it on the recipe thread later. Hungarian--paprika, sour cream. (And I add garlic because it's not Hungarian if it doesn't have all three of those ingredients in it.) :biggrin: The recipe doesn't have a lot of paprika in it, but I've never met a recipe that called for paprika that I didn't at least triple.

It's a pretty easy recipe, too. Actually, my mom never made it, but others have told me it's very Hungarian. I don't think I ever had anything mushroom when I was growing up. Neither of my parents liked them.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

MsDaisy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:04 pm

Fungus... Tastes like dirt to me, and they squeak on my teeth. :faint: MrD LOVES fried fungus for breakfast so I am required to buy them when I go to the shop, but Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to make me eat them... :sick:
Same.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I like white button mushrooms lightly sauted, and that's about it. Not a fungus as food fan. Their derivitive products like beer, cheese, and wine I'm totally at ease with. And I appreciate they're benefits to the garden quite a bit. Fascinating organisms.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I got to visit a mushroom factory in Tennessee, lo these many moons ago. Half a million pounds of mushrooms a week. Awesome facility.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I live in Morgan Hill, CA, the self-proclaimed mushroom capital of the world (note: there isn't a mushroom farm left in the city limits) and home of the annual Mushroom Mardi Gras. I am required by law to love mushrooms.
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Mushrooms are one of those foods you either like or hate. I never had them growing up, but I've always liked them since I first had them as an adult. I can understand why people don't like them, though. And there's a place in eastern PA near Philly that also bills itself as the mushroom capital of the world! :lol: Longwood Gardens is very near there and has THE most wonderful mushroom soup in the world. That's a recipe I’d like to have. I guess I could goggle. ;)

Edited to add:

I looked up the Longwood Gardens recipe. I can see why it's soooooooooooo rich. Also, why I'm not likely to make it.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I loves me some mushrooms! I leave it to the pro's as to which to eat though, I don't trust myself on identification.

In other news...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I picked and ate psychedelic mushrooms on ranch land outside the city of Cali in south-central Colombia in 1974. A strange and powerful drug, fresh as a daisy. Yes, they grow only in cowpies, that's why you have to go to a ranch. We woke up in a hotel room in the city and got to the ranch out in the countryside about 10 am. The cowmobiles in Colombia were very cooperative, poop scattered widely but plenty to serve as a growth medium for the precious fungus. Just gotta walk around on the hillsides and keep your eyes open.

Yes, they grow from spores that, amazingly, are spread across the entire planet - by the winds - at all times, including now as you read this. But the spores only germinate where the temperature never goes below 80° F. at night, and only, as heretofore described, in bullshit. Actual bullshit. It's a wonderful world.

This also, I do believe, means that I win the mushroom eating story contest.

In case you were wondering. :mrgreen:

Edit: You take the mushrooms back to the hotel room and wash them before you eat them, that way you don't eat a lot of mierda de vaca.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Do the effects ever wear off? :think:

:mrgreen:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'll be sure to let you know.

:hoover:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Mom didn't cook very much with mushrooms when I was growing up, but I certainly eat them now.

Olives?... no.

Cilantro?... :sick:
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:24 pm Cilantro?... :sick:
Are you one of the people for whom cilantro tastes like soap? The wife isn't, she just hates it. :sick:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:24 pm Mom didn't cook very much with mushrooms when I was growing up, but I certainly eat them now.

Olives?... no.

Cilantro?... :sick:
I cannot get enough cilantro. It’s genetic.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:43 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:24 pm Cilantro?... :sick:
Are you one of the people for whom cilantro tastes like soap? The wife isn't, she just hates it. :sick:
Yup. My brother has the same reaction. As did my husband. In fact, I remember when my sweetie and I went to a nice restaurant to celebrate an anniversary and tasted cilantro for the first time on a salad. Both of us couldn't figure out why the restaurant had put something in the salad which tasted so disgusting.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

There was a time I didn't like cilantro, but that changed. I don't use it a lot, but I like it now, and I have no problem with it in a Mexican restaurant. I like olives, too; have had some wonderful ones in Spain. My strong dislike--curry.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

When ever I head back to see the fambly in Wilkes-Barrie, I try to make it a point to head out to Philly and get me an "American Philly Wit"...

However here in the south the cheesesteak has gotten a soul food addition, being that of bell peppers and mushrooms added with the onions...

It's tasty as hell :boxing:

When I tell the fambly that that is how I make 'em in the house the looks I receive can only be best described as "It's time to burn this heretic" :torches:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My Italian mom grew up in SF. Her family had a vacation home in the Santa Cruz mountains and would go mushroom picking when up there. One of her uncles made a tragic mistake and ate the wrong kind, and the fam just kind stopped after that. Mom still ate them but only the store bought kind.

I hate button mushrooms but like nearly every other kind. Wood ears are my fave. Olives? Lemme at ‘em! Cinantro? Yum.
raison de arizona

I once went cowpie harvesting. Well, more than once. But it was a couple decades after '74, so you still win!

Also, no kkkandy for you!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw something earlier today about HalloJesus, an "alternative" to Halloween. I think they hand out bibles. But I can't find a link anywhere. :brickwallsmall: I might have the spelling wrong.
tek

Post by tek »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:01 pm I once went cowpie harvesting. Well, more than once. But it was a couple decades after '74, so you still win!

Also, no kkkandy for you!
I especially like the "PATROTIC CHRI$TIAN Family" part.
Maybe they should have started over, rather than laying the S they forgot over the stem of the T.

Return to “General Stuff”