Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Well… dang.

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Meet the medieval castle builders in France's Burgundy region”:
https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/yo ... ndy-region
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:06 pm When I was a kid, mismatched socks would cause others to make fun of you. Of course, now, you see black athletic socks. In my day, black socks with shorts were a no-no, and even getting kids to wear dark socks with blue or black slacks, on stage, was like pulling teeth.

Times have changed.
I no longer own any white socks. All black, all same brand. (except for dress socks for dress shoes).

I learned the black sock thing before my first trip to Europe -- you look like a furner if you are wearing white socks.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/single-beaver-cau ... -1.5944697
Officials have now identified a beaver as the cause of a June 7 outage which left many residents of northwestern B.C. without internet, landline and cellular service for more than eight hours.
The beaver gnawed its way through an aspen tree which then fell on both BC Hydro lines and a Telus fibre-optic cable line strung along BC Hydro poles between Topley and Houston.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:47 pm I have had two kinds of socks. White socks and black socks. And I quit wearing black socks when I retired from the military. I got rid of all my black socks and all of my white socks except for a particular brand, and that's all I wear now (when I wear socks). Now I have a sock drawer full of single white socks, but it doesn't matter because they all match.
We do that too. W2 has gray from a particular brand, I have white or black. The all seem to get the same amount of wear, such that every few years they start developing heel holes at about the same time. It’s fun to go from 20 down to 2 socks in a couple of weeks.

My sister’s female partner (they are poly) knits elaborately patterned socks. Same color palette, different patterns. No chance of matching. She teaches special ed and the kids love looking at her socks.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Lani

Post by Lani »

I couldn't an Obama thread :crying: so I'll just leave this here.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I remember the embarrassment of a colleague from Canada (which isn't relevant) who was telling me stuff and I asked him "is it a statement of sorts that you're wearing odd socks?" Ah no, a mistake when dressing. But it amused me that he was probably aware for the rest of the day that he was walking around with odd socks!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

A black and a brown shoe is worser.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lizzo-ch ... 7098a4c3a5
Lizzo Changes Lyric In New Song After Criticism Over Ableist Slur
"Let me make one thing clear: I never want to promote derogatory language," the "Grrrls" singer said.

Lizzo has changed a lyric in her new song, “Grrrls,” after listeners pointed out it was an ableist slur.

“It’s been brought to my attention that there is a harmful word in my new song,” the Grammy-winning singer wrote Monday on Instagram. “Let me make one thing clear: I never want to promote derogatory language. As a fat black woman in America, I’ve had many hurtful words used against me so I understand the power words can have (whether intentionally or in my case, unintentionally).”

In the opening verse of the new single, Lizzo sings: “Do you see this shit? I’ma spaz.”
Conversation
Hannah Diviney
@hannah_diviney
Hey
@lizzo
my disability Cerebral Palsy is literally classified as Spastic Diplegia (where spasticity refers to unending painful tightness in my legs) your new song makes me pretty angry + sad. ‘Spaz’ doesn’t mean freaked out or crazy. It’s an ableist slur. It’s 2022. Do better.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

It never occurred to me the word was an ableist slur. I suppose it is though. Huh. I'll try to be more cognizant.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:10 am A black and a brown shoe is worser.
I did that once. :oopsy:

I think it was the same color, just similar shoes.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The respectful stillness with which he listens to the singers…
I don’t see anyone (except Mayor Pete) in either party who can match his intellect and nearly perfect manners. We’ll never have as erudite a president again.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:10 am A black and a brown shoe is worser.
I was visiting a plant in Mexico and I walked in with one brown and one black shoe. I didn’t even notice; after lunch someone finally asked me about it. It happened to be Epiphany so I tried to tell them it was a custom in the US, but they didn’t buy it. They thought it was hilarious and took a picture for their monthly newsletter. :lol:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:mad:
Moira Donegan @MoiraDonegan wrote: A Louisiana woman who was impregnated as a teenager by a grown man who offered her a ride home and then raped her has lost custody of the resulting daughter, now a teen herself, to her rapist. The woman has been ordered to pay her rapist child support.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I have no words.
June bug

Post by June bug »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:07 pm I have no words.
Same here.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Mrich wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:24 pm
I was visiting a plant in Mexico and I walked in with one brown and one black shoe. I didn’t even notice; after lunch someone finally asked me about it. It happened to be Epiphany so I tried to tell them it was a custom in the US, but they didn’t buy it. They thought it was hilarious and took a picture for their monthly newsletter. :lol:
:rotflmao:
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:32 pm
I got dressed in the dark a few weeks back and went to croquet with two different grey shoes on. I told 'em I had another pair just like these at home.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:43 pm I got dressed in the dark a few weeks back...
Make sure you don't have change in your pocket when you do that or bad things could happen, or so I'm told.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Last week I saw a jeep with big flags flying off the back driving down the main drag near my place. I was about to start the obligatory eye roll when I noticed one flag was, a Pride flag (I couldn't see the other one).

That was a nice surprise.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:04 pm :mad:
Moira Donegan @MoiraDonegan wrote: A Louisiana woman who was impregnated as a teenager by a grown man who offered her a ride home and then raped her has lost custody of the resulting daughter, now a teen herself, to her rapist. The woman has been ordered to pay her rapist child support.
I wouldn't have thought such a thing was possible.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:50 pm Last week I saw a jeep with big flags flying off the back driving down the main drag near my place. I was about to start the obligatory eye roll when I noticed one flag was, a Pride flag (I couldn't see the other one).

That was a nice surprise.
We were out for breakfast last week and the restaurant had pride flags on every table. It’s just a few doors away from one of the restaurants here that in 2020 was shut down several times for refusing to follow covid guidelines. They have a huge American flag out front, but I’ll bet anything there are no pride flags on the tables there. We no longer eat at the American flag-flying restaurant.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Post by northland10 »

So, on the Twitter feed of the Order of the Arrow (National Scouting Honor Society where members are elected by the units) has this on their Twitter feed:

:biggrin: Scouting has come a long way.
► Show Spoiler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Why was allegedly giving her daughter a cell phone an issue? That seemed a weird detail in a bizarre and awful story.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

keith wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:43 pm
northland10 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:32 pm

I got dressed in the dark a few weeks back and went to croquet with two different grey shoes on. I told 'em I had another pair just like these at home.

Are you sure you aren't my Dad? I honestly think my Dad does this for fun and attention though. I once wore a shirt inside out. When someone pointed it out, I said that's because the other side was dirty.

Return to “General Stuff”