Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

It's a nice racket if you can afford it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Today I officially got old enough to get Medicare, 65 WooHoo! Happy Birthday to me! So I cancelled my extremely high deductible $900.00 per month worthless health insurance that doesn’t cover anything until I spend more out of pocket in a year than I have all together in the last 5 years. It does help that I sleep with a British family practice physician every night. He’s good cover for a sinus infection or allergies, which is pretty much all I ever get. (Knock on wood!) I might just make an appointment with a Doc I don’t sleep with for general purpose. I do have a regular PCP I never really need to see but I’m sure he’ll order a bunch of labs I haven’t had in quite a while. Yay for Medicare!

AND my 2 sons and families took us out to dinner tonight and it was a wonderful time :lovestruck:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Happy birthday to you!

I got a cat tattoo on my ankle for mine.
8-)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Happy Birthday!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:30 pm :snippity:
Wow, I feel weird, I want to congratz Ms. Daisy, but on the other hand I was told it's inappropriate to admit that any lady is over the age of 39.... :think:

Yeah, I know where the door is...

HAPPY B-DAY!!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Illinois College to Close, Hurt by Pandemic and Ransomware Attack
The historically Black Lincoln College will cease operations Friday after 157 years, having failed to raise millions to recover from the pandemic and a cyberattack that originated in Iran.

By Christine Chung
May 9, 2022, 5:15 p.m. ET

Lincoln College, a historically Black college in Illinois, will close this week after 157 years, saying it could not survive the financial challenges of the coronavirus pandemic and a ransomware attack last year.

“The loss of history, careers, and a community of students and alumni is immense,” David Gerlach, the college’s president, said in a statement.

Reached by email on Monday, Mr. Gerlach declined to comment further.

Founded in 1865 and named for Abraham Lincoln, the college had survived the 1918 influenza pandemic, multiple recessions and two world wars.

But the pandemic led to a drop in enrollment and forced the college to make costly investments in new technology, according to the statement. Then, in December 2021, a ransomware attack walled off the school’s access to its data and halted its recruitment, retention and fund-raising campaigns.

Lincoln College, in Lincoln, Ill., has not said how much it eventually paid to regain access to its data, though Mr. Gerlach told The Chicago Tribune that it paid a ransom of less than $100,000. The ransomware attack originated in Iran, he told The Tribune.

When the college’s access to its data was restored in March, projections showed “significant enrollment shortfalls” that would require a “transformational donation or partnership to sustain Lincoln College beyond the current semester,” the school’s statement said. Mr. Gerlach told The Tribune last month that Lincoln needed $50 million to stay open. The money did not materialize.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/09/us/l ... osure.html
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pm
Wow, I feel weird, I want to congratz Ms. Daisy, but on the other hand I was told it's inappropriate to admit that any lady is over the age of 39.... :think:

HAPPY B-DAY!!!!
I see it as every year you survive as a badge of honor, and the older you get the greater the honor. :lol:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:56 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pm

HAPPY B-DAY!!!!
I see it as every year you survive as a badge of honor, and the older you get the greater the honor. :lol:
Yeah but!

Have you seen all the signs the highway department put up in your honor to remind you your age? Those people are the worst I'm telling you.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MS. DAISY!!!!!!!
900_688528kez5_daisy-birthday-cake.jpg
900_688528kez5_daisy-birthday-cake.jpg (435.31 KiB) Viewed 466 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Happy birthday.
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

HBD joke: There's a bar that's a five minute walk from my house, but it takes me a half hour. The difference is staggering.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

A day late, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. DAISY!!!
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

and I voted for this gink: https://pix11.com/news/local-news/brook ... uffed/amp/
NEW YORK (PIX11) — Mayor Eric Adams warned allowing food vendors without permits to sell fruit in the city’s subway system could lead to people bringing propane tanks into the system and barbecuing by train tracks.

His argument about food sales came after police handcuffed Maria Falcon, a mom selling mangoes and kiwis in a subway station. She was taken into custody on April 29 at the Broadway Junction station. Falcon has a food vendor license, but she does not have a permit to vend, according to the Street Vendor Project.
The cops tossed the food. and I want barbicoa
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I get fund raising crap from both Democratic and Republican causes, it all gets automatically shoved into spam without regard to the political party. :shrug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Well deserved. This guy's been in everything.

[Chris Trager voice]Literally everything,[/CTv]
Estiveoshot_20220510_173225.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:08 pm I get fund raising crap from both Democratic and Republican causes, it all gets automatically shoved into spam without regard to the political party. :shrug:
Oh tanks dog! I am sick of fund-raising goo be in my inbox. Even if this is true. Or not.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Estiveo wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:29 pm Well deserved. This guy's been in everything.

[Chris Trager voice]Literally everything,[/CTv]

Estiveoshot_20220510_173225.jpg
Lo Pan....

Which Lo Pan? Little old basket case on wheels, or the ten foot tall road block?
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I love that movie.
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:08 pm I get fund raising crap from both Democratic and Republican causes, it all gets automatically shoved into spam without regard to the political party. :shrug:
► Show Spoiler
I subscribed to and unsubbed from some Democratic emails, so mostly good there - getting what I want. Some :mad2: relative with the same initials keeps using my email address to sign up for Republican and gun rights emails, none of which seem to use the DOUBLE OPT-IN concept. Wonder why. Those go straight to spam. Ronny got butchered on that thread for his lack of understanding of...almost everything.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Before I retired I used to drive thru Lake Charles frequently on the way to Baton Rouge. It is still struggling to recover from Hurricanes Laura and Delta which made landfall in 2020.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The fisherman released the gar back into the bayou. :biggrin: The name of the bayou is being kept secret to avoid crowds of people trying to catch the fish again.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

What a pretty day here on top of the Columbia Grain Export elevator overlooking the Columbia River.
Attachments
20220511_Columbia River from Columbia Grain.jpg
20220511_Columbia River from Columbia Grain.jpg (221.51 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sigh. :daydreaming:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I know. Beautiful. But! We only got a couple days of nice Spring, and we're back into ugly Spring, or Sprang ... however you wanna say it. More rain, and some sideways wind to help you feel it. Maybe some hail. Through the weekend. Good times ahead.

I did get the front lawn mowed before dinner yesterday. It had two days to dry out enough to walk on. The grass was 10 inches tall, and clogged the mower so bad. I emptied that bag a half dozen times, and scraped the deck so it could munch more. Looks nice, but took a double pass to clear up the bad haircut look the first pass left behind. Great workout though. In the cardio zone for forty minutes.

Return to “General Stuff”